PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Help

03marine21
02-12-14, 22:49
I unfortunately just had to move to California but i left my M&P 9mm and my stripped Noveske lower up in Oregon with family. Ill be flying up there in a couple weeks for a conference, my question is can i either mail my firearms to myself here in CA or take them on my flight back? I'm still an Oregon resident and i read somewhere that if i ship them down here that they would have to be shipped to a FFL, i'm not sure if the out of state residency would interfere with that. Thanks in advance.

tonyxcom
02-12-14, 23:44
You can ship them to yourself. Address it to yourself and make sure nobody else opens it. Handguns need to go FedEx or UPS and should go overnight. It would be much simpler to check them on the flight though. Once you are in CA, you will need to register all of your firearms with the DOJ, but you don't have to deal with an FFL. Starting this year, long guns need to be registered too, so that would include your stripped lower.

03marine21
02-13-14, 08:21
Thanks tonyxcom, a few guys at work are saying that it may be a hassle getting the stripped lower in the state due to it being considered an assault rifle. Any truth to that?

Plasman
02-13-14, 09:50
Thanks tonyxcom, a few guys at work are saying that it may be a hassle getting the stripped lower in the state due to it being considered an assault rifle. Any truth to that?

If it's an "off-list" stripped lower receiver then it isn't an assault weapon because it doesn't have any "evil features" (adjustable stock, pistol grip, flash hider, ect.). You could be building a .22LR AR with it (which isn't an assault weapon since they're defined as center-fire).

However, if it's on the list of "assault weapons" specifically banned (i.e. SR-15) then you can't bring it in.

tonyxcom
02-13-14, 11:11
Yes, what Plasman said is true. It is just a receiver at this point and since it hasn't been DROS'd in CA it isn't technically a long gun or pistol yet so you can bring it as is. I am not sure how the laws work in the state where that lower was originally purchased but things are pretty goofy in CA. It might be advantageous to register that lower as a pistol in CA. In CA you can convert a pistol to a long gun but not the other way around. Normal citizens can't do that because of the safe handgun roster, but since you are moving into the state the handguns you bring are exempt from this roster.

If you check out the Calguns forum and the stickies and flow charts in the various sections you should be able to get a handle on all of our silly laws. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM or email me.

Where a bouts in CA are you moving to?

03marine21
02-13-14, 14:21
Thanks everyone for the help, and moving to the North Bay Area just outside if Santa Rosa.