PDA

View Full Version : Starting up solo/Self Teaching Reloading.

TXBob
02-13-14, 16:48
First of all, I realize there is a lot of information stickyed and I plan to make judicious use of it.

More improtantly though, for all my reading, I see a lot of people say "get your buddy to help you first time through"

My problem is, I am a closet case and don't have many (none) reloading friends to give me a shove in the right direction--I'll be taking the plunge solo. Is this (self-teaching reloading) a reasonable task that can be accomplished by an intelligent person with little to no reloading hands on experience (but with plenty of background in hands/on manual precision tasks such as computer bulding, basic houshold wiring, AR-15 assembly/disassembly--Never re-barreled anything, but put in new triggers, switched from A2 stock to Collapsible).

ANything different/reinforcable from the general info above that may be of advantage from the stickyed info for the solo-learner?

Leaveammoforme
02-13-14, 17:24
I consider myself a self taught reloader. Same boat as you. I read as much as I could in manuals. Alot of online reading also but you need to be careful with that one. I started on a single stage RC so I could baby sit myself at every stage. Take your time & you'll be fine.

JW5219
02-13-14, 17:26
TxBob, get yourself a couple of reloading manuals and read them a couple (few) times. The Sierra manual is very good. When you start your first loading session, just go very slowly, and don't try and load too many rounds. It's not difficult but requires some attention to detail, which you already have with the background you mentioned. I started the same way, and while it might be a little intimidating at first, it's not rocket science and you'll pick it up real fast. It's also good to have absolutely no distractions while your doing it. Screaming kids, wives, too much company at the house etc. Good luck as it is fun and rewarding.

lunchbox
02-13-14, 17:40
Free Sierra reloading manual https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?109135-Free-reloading-manual
As mentioned take time work up your loads and will be fine. It only seems intimidating at first, after couple swings of the press you'll be kicking yourself for not getting into it earlier. Complacency messes more people up than inexperience I believe. When you first start out reloading some people (yes I'm including myself) double/triple check everything.
EDIT- And don't be afraid to ask ?'s, lots of experienced, skilled reloaders here... I'm not one of them;)

Steel head
02-13-14, 20:11
I'm definitely self taught.
A good book or two and some of the stickies on a few forums and I was off and running.
Made a few minor errors along the way but no major disasters.
Pay attention, stay focused, be realistic and double check(or more) critical info, read directions and things go pretty well.

markm
02-14-14, 07:06
I'm defiantly self taught.

No need to have been defiant about it.

markm
02-14-14, 07:17
The biggest thing that screwed with me when I first started was fixating on dial caliper measurements for everything. I did that shit at first and had ammo that wouldn't chamber, etc. OAL was exact, but the bullet ogive was different so the ammo jammed into the lands.

Common sense and a natural feel for what is right was much more productive. I mean.. if you measure OAL on a factory load, it's not likely to match the diagrams, etc. Trust what you see. You can see a propper crimp with your naked eye better than you can measure it with calipers.

To me, THE MOST important aspect of my handloading is feel from the press. You can tell when something isn't right if you're not just ram jamming through the process. It doesn't mean going slow.... just being in tune with your equipment.

I'm a more visual and hands on learner. Reading about shit does me little good. Youtube can be helpful, but be careful as there's surely some retards making videos too. Annealing videos are a good example. WOW. Give a tard a gas torch and look out!

Steel head
02-14-14, 08:54
Auto correct is defiantly a pain in the butt.

FloridaWoodsman
02-15-14, 10:50
Check your public libraries for reloading manuals. Go through all the YouTube videos you can find for your cartridge type, bearing in mind that some of the guys know more about making videos than about reloading.
Among the safety matters:
Look closely at the used brass for cracks, which usually appear at the open end.
Visually inspect each powder load before seating a bullet to make sure you didn't forget the powder and to see that you didn't accidentally add a second load.
Try to find more than one source to verify what the powder load and overall length should be.
Get the overall length right, but don't obsess over minor deviations.
You might want to wear glasses or safety glasses while crimping the primers.
Make sure the primers are seated enough that they don't extend out from the shell base.
Don't smoke.

Expect surprises, but people on the web will help.

markm
02-16-14, 09:55
Visually inspect each powder load before seating a bullet to make sure you didn't forget the powder and to see that you didn't accidentally add a second load.

I do this with almost every round. A few get by when I'm blowin and goin. Double charges aren't possible on Rifle, but very easy to go undetected on pistol.

I still catch weird stuff like the Magtec brass (CBC headstamp) when the powder comes all the way up to the case neck.

HKGuns
02-16-14, 09:59
I'm defiantly self taught as well. None of my friends reload and most are amazed at the quality of stuff I can produce.

Start with pistol, would be my advice......more forgiving and less complicated.

Be safe, no matter how long you've done it realize there is always something you don't know. Constantly try to improve your process and buy good components and equipment up front.

Kenneth
02-16-14, 10:55
What are you loading on? I'm a self taught reloader and started with an XL650. I have only done pistol so far but have all the equipment for .223 but haven't dabbled with it yet. It is a lot more steps. Loading in a progressive is the way to go. Double charges aren't a issue or shouldn't be since the press actuates when you pull the handle. YouTube is your friend when learning to reload.

mic2377
02-16-14, 11:05
I'm self taught too. The best thing to do is make a step by step process, and make note of the critical aspects of the process. For example, deprime, clean, lube, size, de-lube, trim, chamfer, prime, charge, and seat. If you can use a dial caliper, adjust your press, dies, powder measure, and trimmer correctly, you've got it.

Be prepared to mess up some brass to develop the "feel" of using the press, as MarkM said. Don't be afraid to load some dummy rounds to make sure everything is in spec and chambers! It is worth it!

Good luck! Even with my half-a$$ reloading skills, my reloaded ammo still shoots WAY better than 90% of factory stuff.

smoe806
02-16-14, 16:01
Being self taught myself . Here is a couple of things that really helped me out
1 . get case gauges for each caliber . 45's I use a Glock barrel . For rifle I bought gauges from Dillon .
2 . weigh each round when you are done . Electronic scales are inexpensive . I know it is extra work but it will catch a double powder charge
or a missed powder charge . I have also found primers not seated correctly the cartridge does not sit up straight on the scale .
Good Luck ;)

Steel head
02-16-14, 22:17
Being self taught myself . Here is a couple of things that really helped me out
1 . get case gauges for each caliber . 45's I use a Glock barrel . For rifle I bought gauges from Dillon .
2 . weigh each round when you are done . Electronic scales are inexpensive . I know it is extra work but it will catch a double powder charge
or a missed powder charge . I have also found primers not seated correctly the cartridge does not sit up straight on the scale .
Good Luck ;)

There is enough variance in bullets and cases that weighing a round after is pointless to guarantee proper charge in a pistol cartridge.
Visually inspecting every powder charge is a vastly better way to go.

smoe806
02-17-14, 04:26
Same headstamp . I do mine in batches of 100 . I use a progressive press . Visual inspection is not really possible . I have a very busy life that does not allow for uninterrupted time . This method will catch an empty charge .

markm
02-17-14, 08:45
Same headstamp . I do mine in batches of 100 . I use a progressive press . Visual inspection is not really possible . I have a very busy life that does not allow for uninterrupted time . This method will catch an empty charge .

How is visual inspection not possible? I run my Dillon and check every round visually. There is no interuption at all.

FloridaWoodsman
02-17-14, 11:26
There is enough variance in bullets and cases that weighing a round after is pointless to guarantee proper charge in a pistol cartridge.
Visually inspecting every powder charge is a vastly better way to go.

Yep. For a rifle round, weighing might work, but when I'm only putting 3.5gr in a .380, a mistake would not jump out at me on a scale.

smoe806
02-17-14, 20:47
Hello
How is visual inspection not possible? I run my Dillon and check every round visually. There is no interuption at all.

You must be taller than me . I also use a Dillon I cannot see in the cases from where I sit .

Remember what works for me . May not work for everybody or anybody else . We are all Different .

markm
02-18-14, 07:38
I also use a Dillon I cannot see in the cases from where I sit .

I never sit and load on my Dillon. It's on a strong mount atop a regular work bench. I have an LED lamp shining into the left side of the press from above.

I only sit to use my single stage because it's mounted so low on the bench. (no strong mount to raise it)

I was able to catch 2 pieces of that stupid Magtech brass in my last session. I'd have had too really compressed loads if I weren't watching.... now I know you sort brass by kind.... but I mix mine all together. I just sleep better watching every powder charge.

Not saying your way is wrong... just how I like to do it.

SteveS
03-03-14, 15:00
Reloading manuals are your best friend.

markm
03-03-14, 15:03
Reloading manuals are your best friend.

I need to read one. Pappabear picked one up for working on magnum Rifle loads, but I never actually sat down and read one. I think I have one of the Lyman manuals at the house.

Pork Chop
03-03-14, 15:50
I'm 100% self taught. I was told on 1911forum to read "The ABCs of reloading". I then read the Hornady, Lyman and Lee manuals, cover to cover.

It's not hard, just double check yourself.......a lot.

Also, for pistol, 1911forum has a ton of very knowledgable and helpful long time reloaders if you have questions. However, I come here for marks delightful commentary on rifle loading. :)

JimmyB62
03-03-14, 15:52
Hello

You must be taller than me . I also use a Dillon I cannot see in the cases from where I sit .

Remember what works for me . May not work for everybody or anybody else . We are all Different .

I've seen quite a few Dillon setups with mirrors mounted in the right place to allow visual confirmation from wherever the operator is sitting/standing.

Bimmer
03-04-14, 20:06
To me, THE MOST important aspect of my handloading is feel from the press. You can tell when something isn't right if you're not just ram jamming through the process. It doesn't mean going slow.... just being in tune with your equipment.

+1 I learned from a girlfriend's father. A lot of it was learning how it should feel (with the press, not with his daughter).

I have an LED lamp shining into the left side of the press from above.

I have a couple old photography lights mounted above my reloading bench. It's a LOT of light.

I can easily see if my powder charges look correct. If it doesn't look right, then I pull it and weigh it. They're virtually always right, anyway...