PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Tun Tavern Tactical?

just a scout
02-13-14, 19:08
Looking at a chest rig from them, maybe some plates. Anything from the hive?

http://tuntaverntactical.com

Their website is down tonight for some reason, was working this afternoon.

just a scout
02-14-14, 16:19
Anybody? Crickets?

DiabhailGadhar
03-27-14, 23:05
Marines....completely shady characters....

Semper Fi

Doc. Holiday
03-28-14, 09:28
I actually just ordered a tactical wrist coach from them. We'll see what happens.

CRAMBONE
03-28-14, 12:31
Their Light Assault Rig attracted me. They just need more pictures. And if your gonna make something with light in the name, you should probably use 500d instead of 1000d.

Doc. Holiday
04-07-14, 11:00
I got my order in. It took them a while to process my card for some reason, but I got everything in a week in good shape and as was advertised.

just a scout
04-16-14, 20:53
I'm going on 6 weeks waiting on a back panel. Front of my 901 took a month. Grrrrrrrr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Endur
04-16-14, 22:11
It seems the majority of the gear on there is made by UK brand Warrior Assault Systems and they are a U.S. distributor.

http://www.tuntaverntactical.com/about_us

No experience with WAS gear but being that the stuff is made in the UK, it is probably GTG. I would like to see some pics of the kit you have bought and maybe a small review. My interest is peeked.

Doc. Holiday
04-17-14, 12:33
The only WAS thing I own (which I just bought from Tavern) is their tactical wrist coach and it it is extremely well made. I'm not worried about the stitching at all. It will last longer than me.

Failure2Stop
04-17-14, 13:11
When I worked in the UK, we had some Warrior stuff for student gear.
IIRC, at the time at least, it was not produced in the UK.
Workmanship was not up to par with US manufacturers, and was only suitable for training.
Maybe things have changed.

just a scout
04-18-14, 07:08
I'll do a review and pics when it's all here and together. I like the chest rig so far, seems well made. I haven't had time to get it out yet though.

Failure2Stop
04-18-14, 07:10
I'll do a review and pics when it's all here and together. I like the chest rig so far, seems well made. I haven't had time to get it out yet though.

Compared to what?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

just a scout
04-18-14, 13:28
Currently I have a Martz chest rig for the past 3 years, a 2 piece MAV before that, and LBE before that.

just a scout
04-23-14, 21:04
It got here today. But I haven't had the time to open the box yet. Standby.

Endur
04-23-14, 21:48
Scout, after you check it out and look over the workmanship and the materials, let us know please. Take some pics of the stitching and materials used up close. I am curious as to where it is made. Is it cordura or polyester? How is the stitching, webbing and binding? Thanks.

When I worked in the UK, we had some Warrior stuff for student gear.
IIRC, at the time at least, it was not produced in the UK.
Workmanship was not up to par with US manufacturers, and was only suitable for training.
Maybe things have changed.

Good to know.

just a scout
04-24-14, 13:30
I'll post pics soon. Stitching looks good and tight on first glance. It's Cordura, with multi cam webbing that's trademark stamped. The inside of it is a mesh that's lined with some kind of, almost gel padding. Sorry, haven't slept in two days so I'm a little mushy. I think it's made in the UK, can't find anything yet indicating where from. Overall, nice quality, a little stiffer/heavier than Tactical Tailor, but nice. I hunk this will workout well once it's broken in. All the MOLLE is consistent spacing and stitching.

just a scout
04-26-14, 20:11
Here's the pics. Nice tight stitching, good webbing, a zipper/Velcro opening on the right front to take it on and off easier. Here's a pic of the inside with the padding I can't figure out. Stiff but comfortable, should be better once I break it in. Any specific questions?

Failure2Stop
04-26-14, 20:16
To judge quality, the important areas to check:
Corners
Points where webbing is attached to the main piece
Velcro
The mouth and bottom of mag pouches
Tightness of pouches at capacity
Position of adjustment features
Stitching at load bearing points
Fabric manufacturer/type
Pattern licensed?
Fastener type/quality

just a scout
04-26-14, 21:35
To judge quality, the important areas to check:
Corners
Points where webbing is attached to the main piece
Velcro
The mouth and bottom of mag pouches
Tightness of pouches at capacity
Position of adjustment features
Stitching at load bearing points
Fabric manufacturer/type
Pattern licensed?
Fastener type/quality

Webbing is attached evenly, tight stitches, and reinforced
Fasteners are ITW
Stitching at load bearing is boxed and reinforced
Fabric looks to be 500d or 1000d nylon
Webbing shows multicam trademark
Adjustment features are positioned ok. Wish there was more room in the straps and shoulders
Velcro is multicam printed
Pouches are mine. Zulu tac mag pouches, rest are TT Fight Light

How can I tell if the pattern is licensed?

Why are you stressing me, man?! 😜

Failure2Stop
04-26-14, 21:36
Webbing is attached evenly, tight stitches, and reinforced
Fasteners are ITW
Stitching at load bearing is boxed and reinforced
Fabric looks to be 500d or 1000d nylon
Webbing shows multicam trademark
Adjustment features are positioned ok. Wish there was more room in the straps and shoulders
Velcro is multicam printed
Pouches are mine. Zulu tac mag pouches, rest are TT Fight Light

How can I tell if the pattern is licensed?

Why are you stressing me, man?! 😜

I wasn't criticizing you, just giving the rundown on what I look for.

just a scout
04-26-14, 21:41
I wasn't criticizing you, just giving the rundown on what I look for.

Just kidding. I've never done a review before. Only bought gear from the bigger names, or usgi before that, and beat it till it died. I really want to like this thing, esp considering how long I waited for it. Plates are next, one of the reasons I got this specific setup. It lets me mount them inside.

just a scout
04-28-14, 13:48
How do I tell the difference between poly and nylon on the material, barring any tags?

Tun Tavern Tactical
06-11-16, 07:49

The site is up now and working pretty good. I happen to know this outfit pretty well, and would be happy to provide any information you require.

Sgt B

drtywk
06-11-16, 17:43
Based on some business dealings and partnerships that were formed during my employment with a fairly popular gear manufacturer, I can confidently say that the majority of gear that is marketed or sold by UK/European based gear companies is manufactured in either Vietnam, China or Korea because they do not have to comply with the Berry Amendment or Buy America Act. Some gear is actually manufactured in the EU, but the majority is outsourced to Asia (Karrimor and some Grey Ghost Gear items are manufactured in all three of the above listed countries). Some of these products will be manufactured with US made materials (EMDOM, SORD, Platatac, Grey Ghost Gear), but the majority is made with foreign sourced raw goods. This is easy to tell by the feel/hand of the fabrics and webbing, as well as the plastic used in the buckles/hardware. Please do not take this as a negative on some of the above named products/company's, because there are some very good subcontractors in Asia, just look at Camelbak and the non-Berry Compliant Mystery Ranch packs/gear, as well as most of your big brand name climbing/hiking packs. You also need to keep in mind that a lot of US based gear companies manufacture in trade compliant countries like Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Honduras, El Salvador, Mexico, etc.

Tun Tavern Tactical
06-13-16, 08:46

The 901 http://tuntaverntactical.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=163_4 is the most popular chest rig, Well made, durable, and holds plates too.

Tun Tavern Tactical
06-13-16, 08:55
Tun Tavern Tactical's primary line is Warrior Assault Systems Ltd. Warrior started out in a garage in Northern England, and grew rapidly. In 2012 Warrior entered the US market through Tun Tavern Tactical, and 2 other dealers. Demand soared. Eventually Warrior opened 3 factories in China (yes China) they use 100% US Sourced nylon fabric for the product. The gear is very well made. By doing this, the gear remains affordable.

Wooohah
06-13-16, 22:48
Warrior Assault Systems kit is good to go, not sure what to say about not meeting US requirements, but for me.... the materials, stitching, craftsmanship look to be so.
But then again theyre a UK company.