PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice regarding a hostile work environment.

decodeddiesel
02-13-14, 22:44
I know I haven't been around much recently, but I know there are some very level headed folks whom frequent this board, and I need some advice. I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I feel it is necessary to establish background for my question.

I have been working as the manager of engineering for a small (less than 100 employees) family owned company. About 2 months ago another engineer, whom I hired, left the company after only 50 days. In his exit interview he brought some issues to the attention of the upper management and owners he felt needed to be addressed in the company. He did this in a professional and tactful way, however they did not take this very well and attempted to withhold his last week of pay. He honestly left because the professional employees are frequently screamed at, publicly ridiculed, and disrespected on a daily basis by the management. Further the pay is below industry standards and the benefits for a degreed professional are laughable at best. Personally I have stuck it out because the experience is invaluable, and the job market for mechanical engineers in my home state is pretty tough at the moment. It was safe harbor in the storm where I thought I could keep my head down and tough it out until something better came along.

More recently an employee in my department brought some safety issues to the attention of upper management as this person felt the work environment was unsafe. Upper management repeatedly ignored the issues, so the employee filed an anonymous complaint with OSHA. A few weeks later OSHA conducted an onsite investigation resulting in numerous safety issues being uncovered. While OSHA was onsite, the employee whom filed the complaint noticed an employee forging fire extinguisher inspection tags, and notified once again OSHA.

Upper management immediately placed the "blame" for the OSHA inspection on the employee whom left months before, and began spreading rumors about him and forcefully questioned me on who called OSHA. Since this has happened I have noticed an environment of animosity and non-verbal threatening behavior from shop employees towards me and the other professionals in my department.

At this point I should point out that many of the shop workers at this company are convicted felons, most of whom are violent offenders who are out on parole. Some have been with the company for years and have been promoted to supervisory and lead positions. Not out of merit, or skill, but rather because of impulsive and emotional decisions by management and because they have "stuck it out" there for the longest.

Today a mandatory fire extinguisher safety meeting was held to train "key personnel" on the use of fire extinguishers. I was told it was mandatory for me to attend. Oddly, the meeting was not held in the normal conference room, but rather in the employee locker room in the shop. Also, I noticed that many of the appointed "fire wardens" were in fact folks that I know to have been convicted of murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, etc. At the beginning of the meeting the operations manager (who is the cousin/nephew of the owners) said "Well I just want to point out that we're all here because some piece of s--- called OSHA again, so you can thank them (he gestures at me) for wasting your time and trying to get the company shut down so you loose jobs." After he says this all of the other employees start staring at me like they literally wanted to kill me, and were doing their best to intimidate me. I won't lie, it scared the crap out of me to have 12 or so convicted felons surrounding me making threatening gestures towards me.

I am now concerned for my safety and the safety of other members of my department. The general work environment has been completely toxic and dysfunctional at this place, and now it is downright dangerous and hostile. In the past people have been beaten, stabbed, and nearly killed in this shop. Nothing has come of it as far as repercussions on the business because every time the management basically pays them to keep their mouths shut to the authorities.

I am honestly concerned for my safety returning to work, and I don't know what my next step should be. Having only been employed for the past 7 months or so after an extended unemployment I do not have the savings to simply resign and take my chances on the job market. I know this job isn't worth my safety or my sanity, but I need a paycheck. I'm just starting to pull myself out of some pretty serious debt and finally getting back on my feet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Mods, if this is not an appropriate topic for discussion please delete.

Moose-Knuckle
02-13-14, 22:55
I don't care if it's against the lame ass company policy or not, you need to CCW if you don't already while your are at work. IIRC you can CCW in CO.

decodeddiesel
02-13-14, 22:58
I don't show up to that place light, ever.

Belmont31R
02-13-14, 23:23
Find a new job.

decodeddiesel
02-13-14, 23:29
I've been pounding the pavement as much as I can for the last month or so, applying to everything and anything I think I may have a shot at and leaning on my professional network HARD. I have a few prospects for contract work, but nothing full time as of yet. I am willing to take a 15-20% pay cut to simply get out but I'm not having any luck.

agr1279
02-13-14, 23:30
Find a new employer ASAP. I am not familiar with laws in CO but these meetings I would be making recordings if legal. Find yourself a good labor attorney and document everything. There need to be proof to stand behind your claims but most important the job is not worth your safety.

Dan

Kain
02-13-14, 23:39
I was once told by a wise man when you have a job that when you get up in the morning and you dread going in, it is time to find a new job. Be it finding a job and leaving, or quitting outright and going someplace else.

That said, if you do not feel inclined to leave and if you feel that you want to stay in the state that you do currently live in, I would do like my mother did when she was being harassed by management where she worked, and begin taking notes and documenting everything you can, including every OSHA safety violation and every law that the company breaks. One reason is to have proof of the things that they did, and two to cover your ass.

No.6
02-13-14, 23:46
Gotta agree, it's time to leave regardless. Your fellow employees may not kill you, but the toxic environment eventually will. You'll die on the inside. I spent many years "sticking it out" because of limited opportunities in my town with a situation similar to yours, maybe not with felons looking to shank me (although I did get physically threatened more than once), but with a controlling, mind game playing, micro managing, edicts on a whim boss. More than once I came home and told my wife not to talk to me because I knew I'd unload on her which was grossly unfair to her. Best thing I ever did was leave (with notice) even though I had no pending job or prospects at the time.

SeriousStudent
02-13-14, 23:47
Document the crap out of everything. Written copies, get them notarized with date/time stamps. Make copies, and stash them with a GOOD friend.

Start talking to friends, family, acquaintances about who would be a good lawyer to have in your corner.

Start job hunting right fecking now. Begin with the dude that left. What leads can he help you with?

I'd also think long and hard about anything you post here, social media, work emails, etc. If you have any paperwork or emails at work, scrub them NOW. If you have emails at work that you want to keep, print them, get the copies notarized, seal them in an envelope and stash them in your gun safe at home. That simple act has saved me pain you would not believe.

Good luck, dude.

Dead Man
02-13-14, 23:56
Sounds like it's time for a well earned sabbatical. How much do you have saved up?

Dead Man
02-14-14, 00:10
I've never experienced the kind of situation you describe, but I have observed the loss of confidence of fellow managers, and even experienced it myself at the last company I worked for. Baseless accusations had been made against me, which upper management ignored entirely. But word had gotten around the rank and file, and over the course of several months I began to glean word from some of the supervisors that I'd become a bit of a target for some pretty nasty resent. Suddenly some interpersonal difficulties on some of my projects began to make sense. I stuck it out for a while, but I hated the company to begin with. I'd only stayed as long as I had for the salary, which was hard to let go of; but if you hate going to work, no salary is worth building ulcers. I started saving up (I usually keep cash set aside for this very situation anyway), and watched for any opening I could seize. I finally suffered a minor contractual breech with regard to my bonus, and resigned the very next morning. Straight outta left field. Being on the side-of-right, I was able to negotiate for a decent severance to stay for my "two weeks," and then I was gone.

Whatever you do, always play it smart. Don't make decisions in fear, or anger. Wait until the morning. You're leaving; that much is certain. But whether you leave broke, without any prospect for income replacement and with your tail between your legs, or if you leave like the Hebrews plundering Egypt, will all depend on how smart you are about it.

Good luck!

Moose-Knuckle
02-14-14, 00:51
I work for a very toxic and dysfunctional agency, I keep a Sony digital recorder with me at all times, and document EVERYTHING. I keep a file and thumb drives off site and have found a Labor Attorney who specializes in hostile work environments, unfair practices, wrongful terminations etc.

But, yeah dude you need a new job.

Outlander Systems
02-14-14, 04:54
Pop smoke.

Pack deep.

I worked for an engineering firm that was rotten to the core. I finally reached a breaking point, as I had serious moral, legal, and professional concerns over a lot of the business practices there. I told my wife, I had had enough.

I gave them zero notice, and took a job with lower pay to get out. Nine months later, I've been promoted to a department head, making substantially more than I had been. The firm I work for is fantastic, and there are really solid folks there.

The best advice I can give you is to GET OUT.

Life is short, bro. No need for that bullshit.

Spurholder
02-14-14, 05:27
Pop smoke.

Pack deep.

I worked for an engineering firm that was rotten to the core. I finally reached a breaking point, as I had serious moral, legal, and professional concerns over a lot of the business practices there. I told my wife, I had had enough.

I gave them zero notice, and took a job with lower pay to get out. Nine months later, I've been promoted to a department head, making substantially more than I had been. The firm I work for is fantastic, and there are really solid folks there.

The best advice I can give you is to GET OUT.

Life is short, bro. No need for that bullshit.

I'm not big on "+ 1" posts, but OS here nailed it. Get out - walk in, hand over a letter and leave.

R0CKETMAN
02-14-14, 05:32
I skimmed your OP, but I'll assume you were not the one that notified OSHA. The good news is that you work for a small company, so most of the corporate bullshit should not apply.

I'd be in one of the owner's offices first thing this morning. I'd discreetly record the meeting IF it falls within CO state eavesdropping laws. I'd reference the meeting in which you were singled out and ask if they too believed you were the one which notified OSHA. If they do, then you can argue you didn't and see if they find you credible. If so, ask them to straighten it out with the cousin and trickle down.

I don't care if it's against the lame ass company policy or not, you need to CCW if you don't already while your are at work. IIRC you can CCW in CO.

agreed....you're probably overreacting based on employees history as it wasn't an issue until now, but just in case..

Voodoochild
02-14-14, 07:53
Document the crap out of everything. Written copies, get them notarized with date/time stamps. Make copies, and stash them with a GOOD friend.

Start talking to friends, family, acquaintances about who would be a good lawyer to have in your corner.

Start job hunting right fecking now. Begin with the dude that left. What leads can he help you with?

I'd also think long and hard about anything you post here, social media, work emails, etc. If you have any paperwork or emails at work, scrub them NOW. If you have emails at work that you want to keep, print them, get the copies notarized, seal them in an envelope and stash them in your gun safe at home. That simple act has saved me pain you would not believe.

Good luck, dude.

Bingo.Go to HR and file complaints and have copies made for your record. Document, Document, Document. If something should happen then you have plenty of evidence against them. File complaints of workplace intimidation and harassment. If they should ever fire you for wrongful reasons you can contact legal rep and hand their ass to them. Especially working around convicted felons of violent crimes.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-14-14, 08:26
Sounds like a real "interesting" place with some really upstanding co-workers.

Like others have said, document literally everything, record meetings, what ever you think you need to do. Take measures to protect yourself. Seriously WTF, they have people on staff that have been convicted of murder??? What kind of chicken shit operation is that? You need to be spending every single hour that you can looking for another job. Remember to always start out by asking the people closest to you as they will help you look also.

And I wouldn't really count on your current job as experience as when you do leave they will probably not give you a reference, and may actively try to make you look bad to other potential employers.

TMS951
02-14-14, 08:50
Sounds like the upper level owners and their family members are cut from the same cloth as the lower level felons, nice. I don't envy your position, and I don't have any advice that hasn't been given.

I do replay scenes from 'office space' and 'american beauty' in my mind and wish you could pull something off like that, unfortunately this is the real world.

Best of luck

Sensei
02-14-14, 09:41
Man, where do you work? The Bada Bing? Is Tony Soprano the family owner?

In all seriousness, you have two options. First, you can leave and I mean right now. Second, you can fight back and probably make some serious cash if you are will to invest the resources. After all, there are some very stiff penalties for retaliation against OSHA whistleblowers. If these people are as bad as you say, my vote is that you get out now. Flipping burgers is better than recovering from broken knee caps...

Eurodriver
02-14-14, 09:59
My health, peace of mind, and safety is worth more than any job.

I would move in with my druggy sister before putting up with that nonsense.

_Stormin_
02-14-14, 10:24
My only advice is to keep alert at work, and spend every second you're not there applying for other work...

Any violations of any regs need to be documented and should OSHA violations occur they should be reported immediately. Retaliations against you would carry penalties so stiff they would probably bankrupt a small company.

Hmac
02-14-14, 11:20
Colorado is an at-will employment state. Unless the OP has an employment contract, he can be fired for any reason at any time. All the surreptitious recordings in the world won't help him unless his civil rights were violated.

signal4l
02-14-14, 12:23
Get surveillance camers set up inside/outside your home. I recently bought one for $85. It works great. You also need to install a camera inside your vehicle. These are less expensive.

interfan
02-14-14, 12:29
Before you look to sue, ask yourself if it will all be worth it. Do you want to go through the same thing, over and over again for the next few years? It is never as simple as documenting problems, turning it over to an attorney, and waiting for a check. You already know that the company's ownership run things with their emotions, not reason, so you should expect that they will be angry, insulted, and will retaliate by digging in and making it more expensive for you.

Whatever the nobility of the cause of demanding them to change, comply with law, be professional, etc., it takes a long path and lots of sacrifice to get there - if you do at all. Any court case is a crapshoot and you just never can bank on the outcome. You should look at something positive coming out of this as a low probability outcome. If you are working for the government, there are laws protecting whistleblowers and the grievance process and you have a guarantee of pay during the process. In private industry, you're going to pay someone (likely at $500/hr.) to enforce the law, and the burdens of proof are on you to prove that your employer "knowingly and willfully" violated the law and "knowingly and wilfully" conspired to conceal it. The deck is stacked against you in this respect since 1. it is a family company (blood ties are tough to unbind), and 2. parolees working want to keep their jobs, so they are often willing to lie to testify against your story. There is also the possibility that someone will be paid off to take the fall and say that ownership had nothing to do with any of the violations. They could also counter-sue to make it expensive for you so you quit. Even if you do get a judgement, that guarantees nothing as enforcing it is another commitment and could be a long and expensive process.

Best advice is to quit. Just get out. Either make a clean break or commit yourself to finding a new job pronto. The time, energy, effort, and costs associated with litigation may be better spent on sustaining your family while you're looking for a new job or transitioning to a new job.

Chalk this all up as one of life's learning experiences and a rocky period in a long and happy life. Is it your life's path to teach them a lesson and does it matter? If so, proceed, if not - walk away and find a new job. The stress on yourself and your relationships are worth more than this.

Failure2Stop
02-14-14, 12:34
Unless you suck at your job you will find another.
Get out.

Directly confront the highest person possible and, if legal, record the conversation.
Tell him your complaints and that immediately following the conversation you will be on the phone with the police to ensure your safe exit from the facility.
I'd bring some good* friends with me while doing this, given the constitution of your co-workers.

*- "good" as in, "will bust heads with me".

3 AE
02-14-14, 13:30
If the situation is as you described, any further employment with this company is hazardous to your life. You have already been singled out as the cause of their perceived misfortune/discomfort. You are their chosen scapegoat. They are like a pack of wolves, hyenas, dingos, and you're in their crosshairs. Having a steady paycheck is what we all strive to achieve, but not at the cost of injury or death. Any further investigations, indictments, fines, etc. will result in your misfortune. In plain language, you're among a**holes and there's is no way of dealing with a**holes. There's a big red target painted on your back and there's no way of getting rid of it. You will waste time, money, and/or your life gathering evidence, retaining a lawyer, confronting anyone in that company. The type of people they have employed have no conscience. You are a threat to them and their past criminal history is a huge warning bell that should tell you how they will respond. They know what you drive, they know where you live. If you have a family then they are at risk also.

Yeah, I know this sucks, but life isn't fair. Consider this as one of life's lessons. We don't always get what we want. Consider yourself fortunate that you've collected a paycheck this long. Is it really worth risking your life to stay there a moment longer? Put on your "Situational Awareness Cap" and get the hell out of there with no fanfare, no bravado, no nothing. Move the hell out of there. Do you want to be looking over your shoulder for the near future?

Whiskey_Bravo
02-14-14, 13:51
I'd bring some good* friends with me while doing this, given the constitution of your co-workers.

*- "good" as in, "will bust heads with me".

Good advise.

GlockWRX
02-14-14, 14:51
Just get out of there. While tempting, don't make a 'statement' about how awful the place is, as that crap can follow you around. Plus, it sounds like the people that work there are high order dirt bags and wouldn't be above involving your family.

A mechanical engineering degree travels well. The market for it may be crummy in CO but it's a sought after degree elsewhere. Automotive seems to be on the mend, and commercial aerospace is in a long growth cycle. If you are willing to relocate, you could easily find a job in the WA, SC, and probably even UT. I'm sure other states like TX will have many opportunities as well. If you are set on staying in CO, you may have to take a step backwards career-wise but you will be happier overall. In your situation, I would make that trade every time.

Best of luck.

jmp45
02-14-14, 15:09
A lot of good advice here. Second the Sony recorder. I don't go to any meeting without one, I always let the group know it's on. In your case I'd let it run in your pocket when you need to. Watch what you say, these guys are most likely setting up traps. Don't trust anyone, which I'm sure your not, stay strictly business. Get out asap like others have said, TX may be good if you have the means to move. Good luck bro!

Abraham
02-14-14, 15:52
3 AE said it perfectly.

I'll add my .02 cents worth: Don't return.

Call in your resignation.

All the debt in the world, burned bridges, a bad reference and so on is nothing compared to death.

kwelz
02-14-14, 17:28
I went though my own bout of hostile workplace some years back. Ended up with my boss falsifying a number of things to get me fired. Thankfully I had proof she was lying. They told me I could keep my job but nothing was going to be done about her. I told them to shove it. I agree with the above. Call in your resignation.

montanadave
02-14-14, 17:43
Put me in the "document everything and get the hell out" camp. Life is too short to work in an environment where you feel threatened and feel it's necessary to carry a firearm or have backup just to go about your day.

Heavy Metal
02-14-14, 18:28
Colorado is an at-will employment state. Unless the OP has an employment contract, he can be fired for any reason at any time. All the surreptitious recordings in the world won't help him unless his civil rights were violated.

This is wrong. There are Federal Laws that prohibit retaliation against whistleblowers. Likely State Laws too. Your advice could get a company sued out of existence and its owner put in Federal Prison.

This whole 'any reason at any time' is internet bullshit. Most reasons? Yes. ANY reason? No. Employment Law is more complicated than that.

Dead Man
02-14-14, 19:16
This whole 'any reason at any time' is internet bullshit. Most reasons? Yes. ANY reason? No. Employment Law is more complicated than that.

It's not "any reason," it's "no reason." You can fire anyone you want for NO reason, but there are, as you say, certainly SOME reasons you CAN'T fire someone. Like for being black or 65 years of age or as retaliation.

decodeddiesel
02-14-14, 19:36
This is exactly what I did today. In the end it was obvious thing to do was to submit my 2 week notice. I did this at about 2 pm today, and man, they just came unglued. It was actually hilarious, like watching panic fire knowing there is no way in hell they will hit you. I was called every nasty thing you can think of, and accused of "stealing time" from the company. I will sleep well tonight knowing that in the end all I was trying to do was to do my job well and do the right thing, regardless if I was being scrutinized or not. It's their loss they could not see what an asset they were loosing. The funniest part is that about one hour after I got home, they left a voicemail asking me to reconsider and that they wanted to discuss what it would take to "fix" this on Monday morning. :rolleyes:

Honestly, a 6 figure salary and a month of vacation (which I know they wouldn't be willing to do) wouldn't be enough for me to stay with this place. I haven't felt this happy in months. I know I will find something better, soon.

Outlander Systems
02-14-14, 20:10
This is exactly what I did today. In the end it was obvious thing to do was to submit my 2 week notice. I did this at about 2 pm today, and man, they just came unglued. It was actually hilarious, like watching panic fire knowing there is no way in hell they will hit you. I was called every nasty thing you can think of, and accused of "stealing time" from the company. I will sleep well tonight knowing that in the end all I was trying to do was to do my job well and do the right thing, regardless if I was being scrutinized or not. It's their loss they could not see what an asset they were loosing. The funniest part is that about one hour after I got home, they left a voicemail asking me to reconsider and that they wanted to discuss what it would take to "fix" this on Monday morning. :rolleyes:

Honestly, a 6 figure salary and a month of vacation (which I know they wouldn't be willing to do) wouldn't be enough for me to stay with this place. I haven't felt this happy in months. I know I will find something better, soon.

Out...STANDING.

I salute you, Sir.

Dude, you've so got this. You'll be able to turn this around, and you'll eventually see that this was the push you needed to move on in your career; in the short term, it can be rough, but in the long term you'll be a better man, and in a better position for it.

I joked, but meant every word of it, that when I left the swindling corrupt shithole of a firm I worked for, early last year, that they could have offered to double my salary and it wouldn't have been enough.

_Stormin_
02-14-14, 20:24
I know it was tough, but it's good to read that you got yourself out of the situation.

Ned Christiansen
02-14-14, 20:25
Too bad the employees don't get it that good fire extinguishers just might be a good thing to have around.

I always had pretty darn good employers but the mean-spirited and unreasonable auto industry customers became intolerable. It was hard walking away from a regular paycheck and insurance but one day a switch flipped inside of me and suddenly the prospect of going from a position much like yours, to pumping gas or pumping sewage or ANYTHING else, sounded wonderful and I could already taste the freedom...... I tell you a huge weigh was lifted from my shoulders.

I will admit it was a place and time where I was always able to get another job in a day, so I had a safety net that you don't seem to. In my case it was the push I needed to do what I had wanted for a very long time to do-- start making my living with guns. Another safety net you don't have I guess but hey that sewage tank could be soft landing too....

I guess none of that is really advice. OK then, my advice is, have confidence in yourself and know that whatever you do tomorrow does not have to be what you do the rest of your life. Take into account your safety and sanity and give them some weight along with your financial needs.

kwelz
02-14-14, 20:32
Good for you brother. Good luck in your search.

SeriousStudent
02-14-14, 20:56
Congrats. The sweet air of freedom is a wonderful thing.

If you want to relocate to Texas, let me know. I'd also suggest getting a Linkedin profile set up, a lot of professional headhunters use that - I bet I get 2-4 job offers/inquiries a week from that, and I'm not hunting for a gig.

I'd still keep a watchful eye out, just in case somebody wants to do something stupid to you or yours.

Ned Christiansen
02-14-14, 21:17
OK I somehow missed when I posted that you had already pulled the plug. Good on ya!

Let them stew in their own juices.

Cincinnatus
02-14-14, 21:53
Sounds like you did the right thing.
Sounds like a round of Johnny Paycheck's, "Take this job and shove it," is in order.

decodeddiesel
02-15-14, 00:17
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone, it's great to hear. I had a great Valentines Day with the Mrs. and am very excited to take the next step in my life and my career. I'm happy this miserable chapter in my life is behind me, and I can look ahead to a bright and rewarding career with an employer who really appreciates me. My job is out there, it's just up to me to find it.

SS, I have a created, and maintained a "super star" linkedin profile. I will PM you the address tomorrow. For that matter, anyone else who would be willing to connect on Linkedin, let me know and I'll shoot you the url as well.

Now I'm going to sleep like a baby. For the first time in months.

7.62WildBill
02-15-14, 08:02
Good work. The relief you feel after shedding a burden such as this is truly incredible. I had a job years ago, when I was in college. For about 4 years, worked full-time in the summer and part time while school was in session, making very good money for a college student. The environment was not toxic, more slack and unprofessional; my boss (company owner) and I had a very adversarial relationship. During the last year, I developed TMJ (clenching the jaw muscles and grinding your teeth in your sleep) from the stress. Within a couple weeks of quitting, the TMJ disappeared, and has not returned. Life is too short to waste your time working for people who do not appreciate you. In your situation, no one should have to go to an office job fearing for their safety. You did the right thing getting the hell out ASAP.

skydivr
02-15-14, 09:45
Both employers and employees are under a lot of pressure right now, but what you describe is toxic. Leaving as your own choice was the best conclusion. Leave your bitterness at the door and don't carry it with you. Find a new job and best wishes in your future endeavors. Companies that get into that hole rarely survive.

SeriousStudent
02-15-14, 15:54
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone, it's great to hear. I had a great Valentines Day with the Mrs. and am very excited to take the next step in my life and my career. I'm happy this miserable chapter in my life is behind me, and I can look ahead to a bright and rewarding career with an employer who really appreciates me. My job is out there, it's just up to me to find it.

SS, I have a created, and maintained a "super star" linkedin profile. I will PM you the address tomorrow. For that matter, anyone else who would be willing to connect on Linkedin, let me know and I'll shoot you the url as well.

Now I'm going to sleep like a baby. For the first time in months.

Gotcha. If I can provide any leads, I'll do so. Looking forward to the PM.

DragonDoc
02-15-14, 16:46
Have you considered moving to another state? I'm pretty sure you could find engineering positions down in the Eagle Ford. The oil industry is booming there.

Cincinnatus
02-15-14, 19:50
You might try LMT or another of the firearm industry companies that are moving to new states; it goes to figure they probably have to rehire for some positions in the new places.
Who knows, you may end up working your dream job for a company you can be proud of, and which makes a product you love.

militarymoron
02-16-14, 11:17
it pains me to hear crap like that happening to good people just trying to do the right thing. you did the right thing by getting out. i'm not on linkedin (i prefer not to have any personal/professional info on the web), but if you want to shoot me a PM with some info, i'll keep an eye out for leads.

decodeddiesel
02-18-14, 19:36
A bit of an update, I passed my CSWP exam today. Kind of a big deal for a cad monkey and I'm very pleased with myself. More of a feather in my cap than anything, but it should help with the job hunt.

Outlander Systems
02-18-14, 19:38
A bit of an update, I passed my CSWP exam today. Kind of a big deal for a cad monkey and I'm very pleased with myself. More of a feather in my cap than anything, but it should help with the job hunt.

That is a VERY big deal.

You've got this, dude!

SeriousStudent
02-18-14, 20:54

Most excellent. I'm supposed to have lunch on Friday with a buddy, who may have some good info regarding local companies here. I'll let you know what he says.

decodeddiesel
05-08-14, 13:10
Figured I would bump this up with a little update. It's been almost 3 months now, and the job hunt has been extremely difficult. I've done about 10 phone interviews, and 4 in person interviews, got close a few times but no offers. I've been open to the prospect of relocating, even considered taking a job in Los Angeles. Still nothing...

Finally yesterday I caught a break. I applied for a job with the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation back on March 7th. I had an interview 6 weeks ago, and finally got offered a position yesterday. It's a significant pay cut (about 25%), however the other benefits, stability, and potential to grow as an engineer are very attractive. I am eligible for fast track promotions, so in my offer letter they promise I will go from a GS-7 to a GS-11 in 18 months. At GS-11 I will be right about where I was at the job mentioned here. Once I get my PE (Professional Engineering Certification, takes 4 years to be eligible to take the state certification exam) I will be eligible to go to a GS-12, and GS-13.

I'm excited at the opportunity, even though it is really starting over again to a large extent.

montanadave
05-08-14, 13:41
Congratulations. I wish you well in your new job and glad to hear you've turned the corner.

Your first assignment? Cleaning up some damaged public grazing land out in Nevada. Fella named Brandy, Bundy, somethin' like that. :jester:

Seriously, thanks for sharing the good news and good luck.

Abraham
05-08-14, 14:03
decodediesel,

Congratulations.

Your pay will rapidly increase as you prove your worthiness.

Good for you!

Moose-Knuckle
05-08-14, 16:39
Congrats bro!

Down the road you will look back on this and know that you made the right choice to leave your last employer.

Safetyhit
05-08-14, 19:14
Also, I noticed that many of the appointed "fire wardens" were in fact folks that I know to have been convicted of murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, etc.

While it's hard to believe this circumstance is possible, since you have credibility here we'll give you the benefit of the doubt. And so with that you obviously needed to make a move anyway.

At the beginning of the meeting the operations manager (who is the cousin/nephew of the owners) said "Well I just want to point out that we're all here because some piece of s--- called OSHA again, so you can thank them (he gestures at me) for wasting your time and trying to get the company shut down so you loose jobs." After he says this all of the other employees start staring at me like they literally wanted to kill me, and were doing their best to intimidate me. I won't lie, it scared the crap out of me to have 12 or so convicted felons surrounding me making threatening gestures towards me.

If the prior events weren't enough to convince you that you worked for a shit organization it's a good thing this finally did the trick.

The general work environment has been completely toxic and dysfunctional at this place, and now it is downright dangerous and hostile. In the past people have been beaten, stabbed, and nearly killed in this shop. Nothing has come of it as far as repercussions on the business because every time the management basically pays them to keep their mouths shut to the authorities.

This, if true exactly as stated, is beyond absurd. Maybe OSHA needs a more in depth analysis of this so called professional organization. The inmates working in a prison kitchen are likely to be less caustic.

Glad to hear you moved on. Also while you could spend your time other ways, if I were you I'd submit a detailed complaint to OSHA regarding anything and everything you stated here and let them better decide who they are dealing with there. Maybe even an anonymous report to the state AG. If for no other reason then do it because the apparently few good folks remaining could use the help.

Hell if they shut the whole place down it sounds like it's better for everyone whether they would realize it now or not.

decodeddiesel
05-08-14, 21:25
Safetyhit, trust me I really sincerely wish I was making this shit up. I'm just glad that chapter of my life is closed.

decodeddiesel
05-08-14, 21:27
Congratulations. I wish you well in your new job and glad to hear you've turned the corner.

Your first assignment? Cleaning up some damaged public grazing land out in Nevada. Fella named Brandy, Bundy, somethin' like that. :jester:

Seriously, thanks for sharing the good news and good luck.

That's BLM, I'm going to be at the Technical Services Division of Reclamation working on designing turbines and pumps for hydroelectric dams. :D

I'm happy I had good news to share. You wouldn't think getting another job as an engineer would be so difficult, but it sucked.

HES
05-08-14, 22:06
Congrats man. I'm happy for you. Sure it's a hit, but you'll recover. Wait it out till you get your PE and then head out to Houston.

decodeddiesel
05-08-14, 22:36
Congrats man. I'm happy for you. Sure it's a hit, but you'll recover. Wait it out till you get your PE and then head out to Houston.

Thanks Brother! Yeah, this will be the place to get my PE as almost everyone there has one and the gobment will pay for me to get it. After that and 5-10 years at this place I will be able to write my ticket pretty much where ever I want to go.

I've always been pretty fascinated with dams and hydro-electric, but never really considered making a career of it until this position started looking like it was going to be a reality. It will be really cool one day to bring my kids or grandkids to the Hoover Dam or the Grand Coulee Dam and show them the flow regulator or turbine I designed.

I will admit, I had reservations about working for Uncle Sam again given the stigmatism most gov't employees carry. However seeing what they actually do there and understanding it's worthwhile and important for this country (Reclamation manages the majority of the water and hydroelectric power west of the Mississippi) it really gives me the sense of doing something important again. Something I've been sorely missing since my days in uniform.

HighSpeedDreams
05-08-14, 22:42
Congrats on making the tough choice.

"A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor."