PDA

View Full Version : The crucifixion of Christ and politics.

ABNAK
02-13-14, 23:23
I was raised Catholic. Spent about 7 1/2 of my school years in Catholic schools. Obviously the crucifixion had the religious aspect to it, and as a child you memorized the story and the stations of the cross. It was only in later years, as an adult, and after watching some documentaries that stripped away some fallacies and looked into the whole ordeal that it dawned on me this was the quintissential political story.

Christ was regarded as a rebel, a potential threat, by the local powers-that-be at that time, the scribes and pharisees. They saw him as a threat who could upset the apple cart. He cast out the merchants from the temple, no doubt screwing with the pharisees' cut they got from allowing it. Christ was a purist and this rankled the corrupt community rulers. They saw him as perhaps the first "Community Organizer" who could easily sway the rank and file locals to see it his way, undercutting their power. No, he had to be dealt with.....

Pontius Pilate was the Roman governor of that region. He was the natural to turn to in the effort to rid themselves of Christ. Hell, let the Romans take the blame. But Pilate was more levelheaded than they had anticipated. He was basically asking "WTF did this guy do?" The pharisees answer apparently didn't satisfy him and he balked. "I'm gonna crucify this guy for THAT? Get real!" The pharisees had to come up with something better, and they knew what tack to take.

Rome didn't like negative feedback from their nether regions, and it would reflect poorly upon the appointed governor. "You're gonna have some problems here soon" they threw out to Pilate. "If you don't kill this guy he's gonna get people pissed off and turn things upside down. That's something you don't want, right?" If nothing else Pilate was aware of his standing with Rome and didn't like the idea of it being tarnished by reports of revolt trickling back. His wheels began turning and he figured a sure-fire way out. "Tell ya what: I'll give the people a choice between two perps and they can decide who they want spared, okay?" The pharisees nodded in agreement.

Barabas was a verifiable POS. Murderer, thief, all-round scumbag. Surely, Pilate thought, these folks have a lick of sense and they'll choose this Christ guy over that vermin Barabas. It's a no-brainer! Then I've appeased the pharisees since they agreed to it, and they can deal with this Christ dude themselves.

The pharisees had been out riling up the crowd. Like a good old fashioned political rally they no doubt passed out a little wine, made a few firey speeches, generally whipping them into a frenzy.....not a good environment for sound decision-making on behalf of the crowd. When given the choice between Barabas and Christ the answer was a foregone conclusion.

Pilate was incredulous. "Are you people freaking SERIOUS? You need your heads examined!" Disgusted, Pilate decided to cut bait and wash his hands of the whole affair. "Fine, have it your way. I'll issue the orders."

The rest, as they say, is history. As I watch modern political turmoil, both abroad and here at home, I occasionally think back to perhaps the greatest [political] story ever told (pun intended).

Edit: I'm in no way belittling the crucifixion. I just find it fascinating to see what is (to some) one of the greatest events in history laid bare to expose it's basic human failings, which translate into P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S.

GeorgiaBoy
02-13-14, 23:32
Well when you mix religion and politics...

Belloc
02-14-14, 02:51
Because the atheist regimes of Revolutionary France, the USSR, Red China, Plutarco Elías Calles' Mexico, Cambodia's Khmer rouge, North Korea, Communist Romania, etc., etc.,….

Anyway, if you want to read a profound examination and extrapolation of what is the basic theme in your premise, I strongly recommend, "Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World" or "I See Satan Fall Like Lightning", both by René Girard.

3 AE
02-14-14, 17:53
ABNAK, Damn, I wish you were teaching history back when I was in college. Your version has a bit more POP to it. Excellent!

ABNAK
02-15-14, 01:40
ABNAK, Damn, I wish you were teaching history back when I was in college. Your version has a bit more POP to it. Excellent!

Too many "thees" and "thou's" put the story in it's biblical context, removed from the reality of what really happened behind the scenes. If this had gone done today (obviously assuming we willy-nilly crucified people) you could almost hear it going down like that. I've often thought about "bringing home" a historical event to a group of young folks. How would you capture their attention? To pontificate like Daniel Webster would draw yawns and looking at watches. It has to resonate to sink in.

I LOVE history. To teach it would be awesome, unfortunately I chose a sucky medical field job and at 48yo don't feel like changing horses midstream.

SteyrAUG
02-15-14, 02:35
That's a crowd of fools would rather free a murderer than have their views challenged and their payoffs interrupted would seem to explain the last two elections.

ABNAK
02-15-14, 03:49
That's a crowd of fools would rather free a murderer than have their views challenged and their payoffs interrupted would seem to explain the last two elections.

Touche'!!! Friggin' good one! :lol:

Idiocy, it seems, transcends the ages!

chuckman
02-15-14, 09:23
There is a book, Sketches of Church History From AD 33 to the Reformation, that does a decent job of showing the perceived and/or real threat of Christianity to the Roman Empire. The Romans were VERY nervous of Christians and the political power they could wield.

montanadave
02-15-14, 10:23

Last two elections? I think you might be too conservative regarding the historical period during which your premise would have validity.

SteyrAUG
02-15-14, 13:26
Last two elections? I think you might be too conservative regarding the historical period during which your premise would have validity.

While I am no fan of Bush Sr. or Jr. and have a laundry list of misgivings about both of them, and certainly have very little good to say about Clinton, I'd take any one of them over Obama in a second.