PDA

View Full Version : Gun Sales "Plunging"

OldState
02-14-14, 12:22
http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/news/companies/guns-ammo-sales/index.html

I love the CNN headline :rolleyes:

BoringGuy45
02-14-14, 12:26
Panic buying is over for the time being. At least until November, if the Democrats win an unlikely super-majority in both houses (I don't see that happening). If the GOP wins back the Senate, we should see better prices and availability at least for a little while.

Kain
02-14-14, 13:13
I would hardly say plunging looking at the business that gun stores are doing and the speed at which ammo is still moving.
I would say that there are a lot of people who were panic buying earlier this year have either spent all of their money or are now trying desperately to get what they overpaid for the firearms out. Was shopping around for an AR lower a few months back, around september, and had a guy ask me if I was interested in a complete rifle. If the price is right I might consider it. He says he had a complete colt that he never shot that he'd like to get out what he paid for it.I see AKs and AR going for used $400+ over what i can order them from know reputable manufacturers at. Not to say there aren't deals to be had, like the $700 Colt 6920, but most are just out of their minds. Still seeing M855 at .70-1 a round at some places, and something even higher than that. 9mm at $20-25 a box (BTW if that is going to be the new price for FMJ I am going to start training with Gold Dot). The only thing that I have seen come down in price and stabilize as well as stay in stock has been AR mags.

I don't see gun sales plunging as much as just slowing down as prices are still higher than most are willing to spend and the economy is still in the shitter with people not having money for the higher prices we are seeing.

Personally would love to see prices stabilize and supply return. When that will happen you guess is as good as mine.

Honu
02-14-14, 13:21
because the CBO says 2.5 millions jobs will be lost due to obama care ! that is not the headline they want to put out !

WillBrink
02-14-14, 13:22
Panic buying is over for the time being. At least until November, if the Democrats win an unlikely super-majority in both houses (I don't see that happening). If the GOP wins back the Senate, we should see better prices and availability at least for a little while.

Until the next horrible event at another "gun free zone" and it starts all over again.

Eurodriver
02-14-14, 13:33
Until the next horrible event at another "gun free zone" and it starts all over again.

I bought a complete BCM Rifle for just that scenario. I won't sell it for less than double my money. Its a better investment than yahoo in 1998.

Waylander
02-14-14, 13:37
People bought their guns after Newtown.
Now they're STILL stocking up on the ammo they didn't have or ran out of.

TMS951
02-14-14, 13:38
Well it was an unnatural market bubble do to panic, it had to pop. Sales were never meant to be that good, they are returning to normalish levels.

That said I still can't get cases of 9mm for 20cents a round until then I'm not impressed

Trajan
02-14-14, 15:28
That said I still can't get cases of 9mm for 20cents a round until then I'm not impressed

This.

With all the boxes on shelves of .40 and .45, ammo companies need to focus on 9x19.

Interestingly enough, 2013 was the first year since I turned 18 that I did not buy a firearm.

Kain
02-14-14, 15:44
Interestingly enough, 2013 was the first year since I turned 18 that I did not buy a firearm.

You know I swore I wasn't going to buy shit until prices came back to normal, and yet I ended up with two guns I wasn't even looking. One was an old Colt revolver, that because it wasn't an evil black rifle was marked at $250. nothing special, but it is one a Colt, and two fit my hand like a glove.

As far 9mm, I have seen 9mm bulk at the Cabela's that is local to me, UMC mostly I believe, that when they have it, running in the $230-240 range. Would love to see S&B back down to $200 a case though.

C4IGrant
02-14-14, 16:04
You know I swore I wasn't going to buy shit until prices came back to normal, and yet I ended up with two guns I wasn't even looking. One was an old Colt revolver, that because it wasn't an evil black rifle was marked at $250. nothing special, but it is one a Colt, and two fit my hand like a glove.

As far 9mm, I have seen 9mm bulk at the Cabela's that is local to me, UMC mostly I believe, that when they have it, running in the $230-240 range. Would love to see S&B back down to $200 a case though.

Never going to happen on the S&B/Magtech. As a Distributor for them, you are around my cost at $200! So assume this ammo will remain in the $280-$300 range.

C4

T2C
02-14-14, 16:09
The reason sales are down in my area is because there is hardly anything on the gun shop shelves to buy.

Moose-Knuckle
02-14-14, 17:44
Meh . . . CNN = propaganda wing of the progressive neo-marxist.

In my AO firearms are in stock and prices are back to pre Sandy Hook. Ammo has not nor will it ever be again at this point. 9mm and .22lr still scarce too. GLOCK 17 and 19 mag prices are all over the damn place. One reputable online mag retailer has them at $59, others $49, and still more have them at $25 . . . WTF?

_Stormin_
02-14-14, 18:35
I can currently find anything locally, as long as I'm not looking for 22lr...

Prices on ammo are still a bit high, but things snap back in line with "sales."

Suwannee Tim
02-14-14, 19:33
The gun shelves are full around here and ammo is making a slow comeback. Still not much powder though. Need some 1680 and 2200 for my 458 SOCOM if the barrel ever comes in. Got a 45 caliber can at the gun shop waiting for the document. BATFE is taking their sweet time. Maybe they figured out I'm conservative and are slow walking it. :(

Jellybean
02-14-14, 22:45

What they said.

No way there's a "plunge"- ammo's still moving like it's free.

.....Ammo has not nor will it ever be again at this point. 9mm and .22lr still scarce too....

Indeed.
22LR scarce? I think you meant to say "unobtanium". :laugh:
Never, since I got into ARs would I have expected .22LR to be so completely out of stock-.223/5.56 I would totally expect but... .22? Geez....

Slater
02-14-14, 23:08
Now would probably be a good time to stock up on mags (both rifle and pistol). Even if money is a little tight, I try to buy two or three every payday. Just ordered three Gen 2 P-Mags from Botach at $10.46 per (no tax & free shipping).

Big A
02-15-14, 08:00

In my AO firearms are in stock and prices are back to pre Sandy Hook. Ammo has not nor will it ever be again at this point. 9mm and .22lr still scarce too. GLOCK 17 and 19 mag prices are all over the damn place. One reputable online mag retailer has them at $59, others $49, and still more have them at $25 . . . WTF?

Academy Sports in my area always seems to have Glock mags @ $29.99 for the main ones like G17/22/19/23/21 They're not falling off the peg hooks but they always seem to have a few. They sometimes have the 33rd G18 mags for $49.99. And they have plenty of ammo with the only box limits being on 22lr.

And the Wal-Marts in my area are starting to get more ammo in. 9mm is slim pickens but they have plenty of .40S&W, .45APC and 5.56/.223. I was surprised one of them had a Mini-14 sitting in the display case too. Never seen an AR at one though, even pre Sandy Hook.

All my LGS's are plenty stocked with ammo and firearms. Just about everything you could want they seem to have.

Chameleox
02-15-14, 08:57
Gun prices and availability are returning to normal* here. Ammo is still a mixed bag. Some places have plenty of the usual suspects, some are still being picked clean when the delivery van arrives. .22 is still very scarce.

(*- allowing for the usual ludicrous dealer mark ups)

HES
02-15-14, 16:52
As was reported on guns.com the report by CNN is pure horse hockey

T2C
02-15-14, 18:08
I can currently find anything locally, as long as I'm not looking for 22lr...

Prices on ammo are still a bit high, but things snap back in line with "sales."

You can't find anything in our area. I suppose local politics plays a role in why we are still seeing panic buying at an unbelievable pace.

SteveS
02-28-14, 17:52
Hillary 2016 buy now!!