PDA

View Full Version : NO UNION FOR VW IN TN!

Straight Shooter
02-15-14, 06:59
Just coming in from work, and seeing that that the commies...er um "UNION" lost by 87 votes.
The reports say they are "devastated...shocked...saddened." I says BOO F-IN HOO.
This, and the pro-gun ruling out in Kali are two much needed bits of goods news, in my NOT so humble opinion. SCREW the UAW!

skydivr
02-15-14, 09:49
I am SO PROUD of my fellow Tennesseans!! Considering the weird situation where the COMPANY ITSELF wanted the union (the VW board is Union Controlled and all their other plants in the world are unionized), this is an EPIC loss for the UAW and unionization. Watch for the whining, lawsuits and multiple re-votes which is what they tried at Nissan. This will bring more economic opportunity to the state **ARE YOU WATCHING, REMMINGTON?** and let's watch how productive a state can be WITHOUT unions, because we've already seen how unproductive states are WITH unions!

Dienekes
02-15-14, 11:43
The horror! The horror!

Sam
02-15-14, 12:02
I was hoping for this outcome. The VW employees have spoken. I made the right decision in going with a Passat that was built in TN. Great car, designed by Germans and built in the good old USA.

brushy bill
02-15-14, 19:10
Would love to see GM / Chrysler sink into the abyss due to a boycott over the bailout. Unfortunately, I am not optimistic.

Quiet-Matt
02-15-14, 20:22
Living in Chattanooga, where the VW plant is located, I have been amazed at the money that has been spent to influence the vote of just 1,500 employees. I'd like to know the actual cost per voter figure.

skydivr
02-16-14, 08:52
Living in Chattanooga, where the VW plant is located, I have been amazed at the money that has been spent to influence the vote of just 1,500 employees. I'd like to know the actual cost per voter figure.

Who spent the most? I have a building the next exit Northeast (Ooltewah)....

austinN4
02-16-14, 09:31
Just coming in from work, and seeing that that the commies...er um "UNION" lost by 87 votes.
I am very surprised it was that close.

ralph
02-16-14, 10:11
The reports say they are "devastated...shocked...saddened." I says BOO F-IN HOO.
This, and the pro-gun ruling out in Kali are two much needed bits of goods news, in my NOT so humble opinion. SCREW the UAW!

Don't think they're going away...Losing by 87 votes insures a re-vote at a later date, followed by lawsuits if they lose again.However, I think this loss hurt them, badly. I was reading a interesting article somewhere else on the 'net. (I forget where) But, it stated that the UAW really needs these plants ( VW, MB, and a few others) to survive, as their influence is shrinking, and they no longer have anything to offer. The workers at VW, on average make the same, or slightly more on the hour than those at UAW plants. The VW workers all start at a higher hourly rate than UAW workers. One of the biggest reasons the vote at VW went the way it did, according to the article I read was mistrust of the UAW.... A lot of VW employees simply didn't trust them, (I don't blame them one bit) and were happy with the way things are now. It could be the tide is turning against the UAW. They don't have anything to offer, the employees don't need them, and, they're largely irrelevant... The kiss of death....

Quiet-Matt
02-16-14, 10:21
Who spent the most? I have a building the next exit Northeast (Ooltewah)....

Hard to say. I heard and saw about an equal amount of radio ads and billboards for each.

austinN4
02-16-14, 10:35
The workers at VW, on average make the same, or slightly more on the hour than those at UAW plants. The VW workers all start at a higher hourly rate than UAW workers.
Which is why I don't understand why anbody voted for them at all, let alone as many as did.

ralph
02-17-14, 08:07
Which is why I don't understand why anbody voted for them at all, let alone as many as did.

Well, what can you say...There's stupid people everywhere, I'd guess that these people lack critical thinking skills...

markm
02-17-14, 11:36
Well, what can you say...There's stupid people everywhere, I'd guess that these people lack critical thinking skills...

And the widespread mental disorder of liberalism as well.

Renegade
02-17-14, 11:42
One of the biggest reasons the vote at VW went the way it did, according to the article I read was mistrust of the UAW.... A lot of VW employees simply didn't trust them, (I don't blame them one bit) and were happy with the way things are now.

Not a union person, but if I were so inclined to suddenly want a union, I do not think I would want a union with a history of fail representing me.

I want the guy who negotiated Tony Romo's $108M contract negotiating for me.

brickboy240
02-17-14, 14:15
So VW avoids the downfall of the US big 3.

That is good because if they went union...we'd be seeing their CEO up before Congress in a few years...begging for a bailout.

This is a HUGE reason why I will not own US cars....the UAW.

-brickboy240

markm
02-17-14, 14:19
This is a HUGE reason why I will not own US cars....the UAW.

That... and the fact that they are complete garbage. I've never owned a Big 3 car/truck that wasn't a money pit.

brickboy240
02-17-14, 16:14
My Chevy truck experiences were ok. My one Ford pickup experience was a total headache. I have watched my cousins fart around with Dodge Rams and Grand Cherokees enough to know I never want one of those, either.

Sticking with the Tundra. Made in Texas by non-UAW workers. Ultra reliable. What is not to love?

-brickboy240

Straight Shooter
02-17-14, 16:54
As a Tennessean now living/working in Alabama... I sold my old Checy truck after driving it daily for over 15 years. Was, and still is a damn good truck. But... because of my utter, complete HATRED of the U.A.W. I bought my first Nissan Altima last year, which, btw, was made in TN. I WILL NOT EVER buy another Union made vehicle. So, I did/do put my money where my mouth is.

R/Tdrvr
02-18-14, 20:39
And the libtards are blaming racism for the UAW loss. :rolleyes: Thats all they have, the f'ing race card. Nevermind that the workers were going to lose $3 an hour if they unionized.
http://www.independentsentinel.com/shameful-msnbc-blames-failed-uaw-vote-in-tennessee-on-racism/

brickboy240
02-19-14, 12:14
The UAW is the AIDS of the car making world.

Once a company is "infected" they WILL dies from the UAW.

That is just how it goes.

-brickboy240

AKDoug
02-19-14, 22:54
I'd love to buy a non-UAW pickup, but nobody other than Chevy/Ford/Dodge makes a one ton diesel, so I have no real choice.

austinN4
02-20-14, 06:49
Meanwhile:
"(Reuters) - Volkswagen's top labor representative threatened on Wednesday to try to block further investments by the German carmaker in the southern United States if its workers there are not unionized."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/19/us-vw-usplant-idUSBREA1I0S820140219

brushy bill
02-20-14, 19:53
Guess I can add VW to the "never consider" list based on this.

T2C
02-20-14, 21:01
What is the pay scale compared to workers at other plants in the region? Are the pay and benefits better or worse than at other companies?

ralph
02-21-14, 09:22
I'd love to buy a non-UAW pickup, but nobody other than Chevy/Ford/Dodge makes a one ton diesel, so I have no real choice.

I thought I read on this board a few months back, where Nissan was going to start putting Cummings diesel engines in their full sized pickups, I would think that would have to be a 3/4 ton truck at least, just to handle the weight of the engine.. Something like that might work for you.

brickboy240
02-21-14, 11:25
I read somewhere (..if I find the link...I will post it) that Toyota was experimenting with placing one of their tried and true diesel motors from their commercial Hino line into the Tundra and offering a 3/4 and 1 ton. They already have a nice reliable diesel in the Hi-Lux and there are rumblings of bringing it to the Tacoma for the US market (...since Chevy will bring a diesel Colorado in 2015).

They do this and nope...there is no reason to buy a UAW made pickup...ever.

I currently have 240k trouble free miles on an 06 4WD Tundra and love it.

-brickboy240

ralph
02-21-14, 19:58
I read somewhere (..if I find the link...I will post it) that Toyota was experimenting with placing one of their tried and true diesel motors from their commercial Hino line into the Tundra and offering a 3/4 and 1 ton. They already have a nice reliable diesel in the Hi-Lux and there are rumblings of bringing it to the Tacoma for the US market (...since Chevy will bring a diesel Colorado in 2015).

They do this and nope...there is no reason to buy a UAW made pickup...ever.

I currently have 240k trouble free miles on an 06 4WD Tundra and love it.

-brickboy240

That's something else I don't understand.. why hasn't anybody (The big three, Toyota, Nissan, etc,) brought out say, a 4,maybe 5 cylinder turbo charged diesel, and put it into a 1/2 ton truck? With 4wd, you could possibly get 19-20mpg. I think the market could be there if the price was right, I know a few folks that would like a diesel truck, but don't really want, or need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck..

SteveS
02-21-14, 20:16
The UAW is the AIDS of the car making world.

Once a company is "infected" they WILL dies from the UAW.

That is just how it goes.

-brickboy240
Or the tax payer will bail them out [as mentioned] and keep on buying the brand. What also bothers me is the top managements and CEO's pay packages that are way too high. They would work for less.

pinzgauer
02-21-14, 22:09
That's something else I don't understand.. why hasn't anybody (The big three, Toyota, Nissan, etc,) brought out say, a 4,maybe 5 cylinder turbo charged diesel, and put it into a 1/2 ton truck?

Simple: our friends the EPA.

Short version: the US is the only country in the world that makes diesels meet gas emission standards. And even though diesels overall pollute less, they have a hard time meeting one of the standards due to the higher combustion temps.

These came into effect in 2007 and was largely the death knell for small diesels in the US.

MB pioneered the urea method to work around that, but its problematic and expensive. And you loose much of the advantage. Navistar has been trying EGR, but not had much luck.

Its bad policy, bad economics, and ignorant US consumers suffer from it.

Drive some of the small euro diesels and the US perceptions would change. We have simple missed out.

Especially when you factor in the ethanol mess vs similar investment in biodiesel like France did.

As an aside to toyo/Nissan diesels are not that good relative to Cummins/MB/Isuzu/VM Motari... Japan has very little native diesel usage. Their hilux markets are mostly gas outside of Oz/NZ.

I will be looking hard at any Cummins Nissan. The VM Motari Ram is a good engine, but as the proved with the diesel Liberty's, EPA can ruin a good engine! (I have one, 30 mpg real 4x4, but with emission addon related problems)

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

pinzgauer
02-21-14, 22:21
Or the tax payer will bail them out [as mentioned] and keep on buying the brand.

Well the pres solved that problem with Chrysler.... Essentially gave it to Fiat when it was all said and done. Forced them to sell majority share cheap, and then sold the rest later even cheaper. Fiat did not even have to pay out of pocket, Chrysler recovered and had enough cash to buy the remaining share, and pay for the initial one.

IE: fiat made a down payment, took delivery, then used Chrysler free cash to pay it off.

Where past "bailouts" all they did was guarantee loans, taxpayers paid nothing.

Belmont31R
02-21-14, 23:21
Liberals want green energy not more fossil fuels. So they've combated diesels which can get great gas mileage. The US is perhaps the worst in the western world when it comes to diesels.

Ridgerunner665
02-22-14, 13:24
Simple: our friends the EPA.

Short version: the US is the only country in the world that makes diesels meet gas emission standards. And even though diesels overall pollute less, they have a hard time meeting one of the standards due to the higher combustion temps.

These came into effect in 2007 and was largely the death knell for small diesels in the US.

MB pioneered the urea method to work around that, but its problematic and expensive. And you loose much of the advantage. Navistar has been trying EGR, but not had much luck.

Its bad policy, bad economics, and ignorant US consumers suffer from it.

Drive some of the small euro diesels and the US perceptions would change. We have simple missed out.

Especially when you factor in the ethanol mess vs similar investment in biodiesel like France did.

As an aside to toyo/Nissan diesels are not that good relative to Cummins/MB/Isuzu/VM Motari... Japan has very little native diesel usage. Their hilux markets are mostly gas outside of Oz/NZ.

I will be looking hard at any Cummins Nissan. The VM Motari Ram is a good engine, but as the proved with the diesel Liberty's, EPA can ruin a good engine! (I have one, 30 mpg real 4x4, but with emission addon related problems)

On the urea systems....they are far, far and away better than EGR systems...I don't have any experience with small diesel engines but I'm a truck driver and have been driving a 2013 Freightliner for a little over a year now and not one single time have I had trouble with the DEF system (Detroit DD15 engine)...before this truck, EGR problems were almost constant, robbing power, robbing fuel mileage, etc.

I'm a heavy haul driver...hauling mostly oversize/overweight loads....12+' wide, over 14+' tall, up to 96,000 lbs. gross weight....and my average fuel mileage for last year was 6.7 mpg....for those that don't know, that is awesome fuel mileage for a big truck.

I'm no scientist...but if the DEF system controls emissions like they say it does, I can't find a reason not to like it...at least not compared to EGR systems.

On the Nissan diesel...I'm watching that closely myself, I bought a 2014 Frontier just this past November...and knew they offered diesels in these trucks in other countries, but if I had known they might release one here in the next couple of years...I would have waited...the 4.0 V6 is nice, but I like diesel engines.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk