PDA

View Full Version : Broke Down

harm
02-15-14, 17:37
After months of dreaming about it, trying to convince myself I was wrong I finally broke down and bought an HK P30.

I'm mostly a SIG guy w a lot of experience w the 226/225/228/229/239 family. I've rotated through 9mm to 40 and back to 9mm. I ccw a Sig P228. My nightstand gun is a customized 226.

My only Glock is a G20 I've customized to get a heavy caliber to shoot like I want which is fast an accurate w bear loads - I'm terrified of big cats lol.

I've done a lot of training courses w local & national instructors. I shoot Steel Matches & IDPA every month along w friendly matches that aren't so friendly ;-) w buddies.

Honestly I fell in love w the P30 when I took Todd Green's AFHF course a few years ago when he was neck deep in his torture test. The grip - the way it feels in the hand, handles recoil & return to POA/POI was a revelation. While everyone was seeming to go w the high texture to improve grip HK went for design. Loved it.

Admittedly for its size I wish higher cap mags were an option but I'm sure I'll live.

And I got the V3 DA/SA like my sigs & I picked it up for sub $770 BNIB from Tombstone Tactical here in Az.

warpedcamshaft
02-15-14, 19:01
What trigger variant?

Myrideishot
02-15-14, 19:24
I've also been thinking about getting one of those for a long time now. You will have to let us know how you like it compared to your other guns.

VaeVictis
02-15-14, 19:34
After months of dreaming about it, trying to convince myself I was wrong I finally broke down and bought an HK P30.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Kind of a pointless thread without any info. What kind of trigger did you get, what drew you to the P30, what did you shoot prior to getting it, etc. Oh and pics are nice ;).

As for me I got the V1 variant and I love the LEM trigger. It took a little getting used to at first since I mostly shot DA/SA but it grew on me and it's now my favorite pistol. I don't think anyone will contest that the ergonomics are amazing.

harm
02-15-14, 19:58
Sorry on the pics - I'll get to that, just gonna take a bit

I'm still fighting the urge to get a HK45,

An HK is on my short list, awesome firearms, I'm a tad jealous of you right now

As for me I got the V1 variant and I love the LEM trigger. It took a little getting used to at first since I mostly shot DA/SA but it grew on me and it's now my favorite pistol. I don't think anyone will contest that the ergonomics are amazing.

See every gun clerk has tried to sell me on Sigs DAK and HK's LEM. they just don't do anything for me. Kind of cold. Ya know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a few buddies lusting for the HK45 but I can look at it, enjoy it. Shoot 45's when I have the chance. Respect the hell out of the cartridge - dad carried it in WW2. I just can't get on the train.

ralph
02-16-14, 09:10
See every gun clerk has tried to sell me on Sigs DAK and HK's LEM. they just don't do anything for me. Kind of cold. Ya know?

Yup, I understand.. All of my HK's (except my P-7) are light LEM, I always tell people who want to try it, that it isn't for everybody. I look at triggers, like sights, they are a personal preference.

harm
02-16-14, 09:12
Agreed. Speaking of sights - all my other hand guns have trijicon HD's. Gotta decide here.

ralph
02-16-14, 09:14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waiting for my tax return, Then I'm going to buy a HK45t, and at some point a LEM kit to convert it, It'll go nicely with my HK45ct, also LEM'd.

jyo
02-16-14, 20:46
I've had an HK P30S 9mm for several years now---certainly one of my favorite pistols but my DA/SA P2000 (9mm) gives it a good run for the money…
Want a 45? I went 45C DA/SA---HKs are addicting...

ralph
02-17-14, 07:57
Agreed. Speaking of sights - all my other hand guns have trijicon HD's. Gotta decide here.

I have'em on my P-30...They work great!

harm
02-17-14, 10:36
I hope they aren't too addicting lol - says the guy just spent a grand on a P30, a holster, spare mags and Trijicons. Oy...

Talon167
02-17-14, 11:02
Admittedly for its size I wish higher cap mags were an option but I'm sure I'll live.

Good pick-up. Taylor Freelance makes a +5 mag extension.

http://shop.taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=61

Midway has them cheaper but currently OOS

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/916803/taylor-freelance-extended-magazine-base-pad-hk-p30-border-patrol-9mm-40-s-and-w?cm_vc=ProductFinding

harm
02-17-14, 11:04
Oof. Kind of hate you a bit. Damn. That's tempting...

ralph
02-17-14, 11:05
I hope they aren't too addicting lol - says the guy just spent a grand on a P30, a holster, spare mags and Trijicons. Oy...

They are though.. In the big scheme of things, I don't think 1k is that much to spend on a quality pistol.. There's a lot of folks here, who spent 2-3 times as much on a 1911..Besides, as far as I know,(and I'm sure you do too, as you shot Todd's P-30) The P-30 is still the king of round counts, Todd Green's test (from 2010) over 91,000rnds, 13 stoppages, (I think) and 5 parts breakages.. The HK45 did better..50,000 rnds 1 stoppage, 1 part broke.. So far, nothing else has come close to either of these two..

harm
02-17-14, 11:13
Oh I agree - that's one of the things that drove me to it. Its just now that I've got the P30 - that P30L is looking appealing too.

And I certainly wasn't complaining about the 1k. That gets me 5 mags w the Gun, trijicon HD's, and a quality holster - can't stand guys who spend 400-1000 on a nice gun only to put it in an uncle mike's nylon POS. Only thing worse are those Universal holsters. So I paid good money for good gear. Also got in an order w Adams Holsters for a Custom Texas rig for CCW.

ralph
02-17-14, 17:46
LOL! Ever since Grant let me look at a OD HK45t, I can't get it out of my head, When I was looking at it, I was thinking, Hmm, put a LEM kit in this thing, and It'll be just about perfect... Then the wife tells me she's was going to give me some money from the tax return,(as a early retirement gift) Woo Hoo! I just hope Grant still has some by the time the return comes back...

RHINOWSO
02-17-14, 18:47
Quit fighting the urge and plop some $$$$ down on an HK. HK45C, P30, whatever floats your boat.

I'm sure the Glockers will be here saying what a wasta $$$$, on an HK, because for $500 you getchaself a G19, plus some $$$ for Apex extractor for no brass to DA noggin, then a new guide rod, butt plug, extended coolieo magazine release, slide stop, then some more dollars on a frame cut down, uber stippling job, etc, etc... The it'll be the perfect Glock ;)

(Couldn't resist)

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/P30/IMG_0418.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/HK45C/9F57FA34-3408-4619-B3DA-8E8421CB8A73-19543-00000516827EA5BA.jpg

ralph
02-17-14, 19:30
Funny thing is.. I did almost all of that you mentioned to the G19 I had, (except for cutting the frame down and stippling) and it still didn't work..

VaeVictis
02-17-14, 19:46
Its just now that I've got the P30 - that P30L is looking appealing too.

I know what you mean, every time I stop by my LGS I can't help but check out the P30L. It just seems like it would go so well my P30.

Mauser KAR98K
02-18-14, 10:59
Just put a down payment on layaway for a P30 in .40s&w. About to join the party. Damn that thing fits like a glove.

jyo
03-29-14, 00:24
As I said---HKs are addicting, but in a good way---if you got the budget...

harm
03-29-14, 00:33
Just shot IDPA w mine. Had a minor gear issue as I thought my mag pouch would work if I loosened it. No dice. So my times sucked as I was fishing in my pockets for reloads. But I shot it clean. No errors. No penalties. The video of my reloads was PAINFUL. So I ordered a mag pouch specific to it. Loving it.