PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for an M&P?

acaixguard
02-16-14, 18:16
I've been flirting with the idea of picking up an M&P9 on and off for a few years. In the past, the mixed reviews of accuracy and less than stellar trigger pulls have kept me away from them. I am quite satisfied with the performance I get out of my G19 and PPQ that I probably wouldn't gain too much from an M&P in that regard.

There is, however, one reason I still would want the M&P, and that's because of the CTC lasergrips available for it. I like the idea of having a laser available for low light situations, but have not been too thrilled with the CTC options for Glocks. I had one for my G19, and liked having a laser, but hated how it felt, so I sold it. No good option for the PPQ either. Among striker fired 9mms, the M&P version is the only CTC unit I think is great. Just like an OEM part, and can stay "out of the way" if I don't want to use it.

Just wondering if anyone feels that the CTC unit is reason enough to go for an M&P.

Kenneth
02-16-14, 18:21
I don't know about the CTC but the MP9 I picked up from Grant has a good trigger and is accurate for me. I think the M&P is one of the best combat handguns out there.

prez1967
02-16-14, 18:50
I dig my M&P9... It feels great in hand and is plenty good to shoot. But I shoot my Grocks alot better...

Shoot one and see what works for you :-) i wouldnt do it for a laser grip though. You want low light capabilities, get a weapon light

briguy64
02-16-14, 19:10
Why not just get an X400 or similar light with laser and a DG switch? Not sure a whole new handgun just for a laser is worth it especially considering you already have pistols that you already shoot well

acaixguard
02-16-14, 19:48
Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding the X400, I actually used to run an X300 (not Ultra), but I sold it for the Inforce APL because it's a similar level of light output in a more compact package. I didn't really want to have a large WML on a compact pistol like the G19.

I will admit, I don't have any experience with the DG switch, or the X400. Does the switch require very deliberate pressure to activate? It just seems like the CTC laser is more intuitive to use properly. But I'm open to hearing about the use of the X400 too.

friendlyfireisnt
02-16-14, 20:57
This is actually one of the reasons why I really like the M&P pistols. The CT grips interface really is fantastic, and the beam is so much closer to the bore than you will find on a rail mounted unit.

I have the CT grips and an APL on my primary HD pistol, although I have been very tempted to get a Viridian unit for my second M&P.

RWH24
02-16-14, 21:47
M&P is my new go to guns. The Sigs stay home and M&P's are carried. I carry my Shield most of the time or FS in cooler/colder temps. Picked mine up from Grant @ G&R.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-16-14, 21:47
There is, however, one reason I still would want the M&P, and that's because of the CTC lasergrips available for it.

I totally agree with your reasoning here. The M&P CT grips are a no-brainer. I can't believe that Glock missed the boat on this with the Gen4 guns.

warpedcamshaft
02-17-14, 01:55
The M&P is a fantastic Crimson Trace host... if that is your primary motivation to go for the M&P, that is a decent justification. I have not been able to actually handle one of the updated models with newer sear and barrel, but I have heard good things from a few folks. I ended up with a M&P with poor 25 yard precision characteristics, and decided to sell it and wait a few years before considering another for the collection.

I'm in the camp of people who think that you should focus on one brand and type of handgun, and train extensively with it... Rather than jumping around to a bunch of handguns.

I've also blown lots of money to try a bunch of handguns because it is fun, and I'm stupid...

Joe R.
02-17-14, 05:54
acaixguard, as you may be aware I was an early adopter of the M&P in 9mm. I dropped the platform after about 15,000 rounds as the accuracy went from just so-so to really lousy. I made several attempts to get the gun back up to par, including sending the gun back to Smith and trying a new barrel, all to no avail. For several years I stayed away from the platform due to my experience.

Having said all that, last November I bought another M&P 9mm due to the reports I had heard and like you, I really like the CT interface. I bought my M&P from G&R Tactical as I knew Grant would be able to ensure I got a gun with all the latest upgrades. I put an Apex sear and trigger in the gun before even going to the range. My first range trip was successful, in that the gun was printing sub 3" groups at 25 yards, standing offhand for a 10 shot group. This is MUCHbetter than any M&P 9 I had shot previously. At this point if you can find a gun that has all the latest upgrades, I'd go for it.

And no...I haven't gone back to the M&P as I am heavily invested in Glocks and the 19 is just about the ideal size for everything.

kav92
02-17-14, 06:36
acaixguard, as you may be aware I was an early adopter of the M&P in 9mm. I dropped the platform after about 15,000 rounds as the accuracy went from just so-so to really lousy. I made several attempts to get the gun back up to par, including sending the gun back to Smith and trying a new barrel, all to no avail. For several years I stayed away from the platform due to my experience.

Having said all that, last November I bought another M&P 9mm due to the reports I had heard and like you, I really like the CT interface. I bought my M&P from G&R Tactical as I knew Grant would be able to ensure I got a gun with all the latest upgrades. I put an Apex sear and trigger in the gun before even going to the range. My first range trip was successful, in that the gun was printing sub 3" groups at 25 yards, standing offhand for a 10 shot group. This is MUCHbetter than any M&P 9 I had shot previously. At this point if you can find a gun that has all the latest upgrades, I'd go for it.

And no...I haven't gone back to the M&P as I am heavily invested in Glocks and the 19 is just about the ideal size for everything.

Did you have a storm lake barrel fitted by Grant, or was this with the latest factory Smith barrel? Thanks

acaixguard
02-17-14, 10:42
Thanks again for the further replies. I'm definitely of the camp that it's better to stick to 1 platform. For me, I think Glock fills most of my needs. I'm slightly faster and more accurate on the trigger with the PPQ, but on the whole, I can deploy the Glock a little smoother and quicker. I'm not sure the M&P will combine the best of both for me, but the CTC grips for the M&P are intriguing as hell. While I agree that a good white light is more important, I feel a laser is a good secondary tool. While having a laser may only be a slight advantage, it's still an advantage nonetheless.

Joe, I do recall you saying that you gave up on the M&P years ago. It's stories like yours that made me shy away from the M&P back then. Now that they seem to have improved the overall performance of the M&P's out of the box, I'm giving them a look again too.

Joe R.
02-17-14, 12:50
kav92, it was a drop in Storm Lake. The fitted barrels that Grant offers are a much better option.

cutter_spc
02-17-14, 14:16
I love my M&P 9, though I am self proclaimed Glock hater, I have to admit I do like and would not feel under gunned in anyway with the G19. Personally I don't like lasers, but I do see where your coming from. If I were in your shoes I would give it some serious consideration.

thecreeper23
02-17-14, 17:57
I bought an M&P 9mm to try out. I've shot a Sig P226 for years.

I like it. It's worth picking one up, in my opinion.

walkin' trails
02-17-14, 20:50
The G19 is a proven hard package to beat. I used to carry a Gen 2. I have had anM&P 9 less than a year. While it is pretty reliable, the 25-yard accuracy sucked. I recently sent it back and it got a new barrel. I haven't had the chance to shoot it again to see if there was any improvement.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

kevN
02-17-14, 23:35
M&P is a good handgun, so if it fills a niche for you with the laser then go for it. Buy with confidence.

RWH24
02-18-14, 01:43
I bought an M&P 9mm to try out. I've shot a Sig P226 for years.

I like it. It's worth picking one up, in my opinion.
Carried a 226 on duty for the last 16 years. Turned it in when I retired.. Bought an M&P PRO 5", 4.25" FS and a Shield, all 9mm.
I have a 226 beside the bed, because my wife shoots it very well also. TLR-2 mounted on it also. All 4 are good pistols.

ASH556
02-18-14, 09:29
Thanks again for the further replies. I'm definitely of the camp that it's better to stick to 1 platform. For me, I think Glock fills most of my needs. I'm slightly faster and more accurate on the trigger with the PPQ, but on the whole, I can deploy the Glock a little smoother and quicker. I'm not sure the M&P will combine the best of both for me, but the CTC grips for the M&P are intriguing as hell. While I agree that a good white light is more important, I feel a laser is a good secondary tool. While having a laser may only be a slight advantage, it's still an advantage nonetheless.

Joe, I do recall you saying that you gave up on the M&P years ago. It's stories like yours that made me shy away from the M&P back then. Now that they seem to have improved the overall performance of the M&P's out of the box, I'm giving them a look again too.

The M&P is very gun dependent in my experience. I have a pair that I got from Grant in early 2012. The one I keep at home with CTC grips, X300, DG switch, suppressor, etc is VERY accurate. The other one has not been (6" groups @ 25yds at best) and is due back tomorrow from its third trip back to S&W. If it doesn't shoot when I get it back, I'm going to dump the platform and try the Gen 4 Glock 19 (shot a Gen 3 19 for 8 years before switching to M&P in 2012). If you're considering the M&P, maybe we can work something out and that way you'd have a known-good/accurate M&P already with CTC grips ;)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/9889267613_5158bab141_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87859750@N03/9889267613/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87859750@N03/9889267613/) by ASH556 (http://www.flickr.com/people/87859750@N03/), on Flickr

mak52580
02-18-14, 10:42
I picked up an M&P9 last August. It had the APEX kit installed so I can't speak to the feeling of the stock trigger. I love it though and it goes with me to the range everytime and I use it in all my classes now.

I also EDC the M&P Shield 9 and love it. I can't believe how smooth it shoots and how little recoil there is for such a small gun.

m4brian
02-18-14, 13:17
The M&P is very gun dependent in my experience. I have a pair that I got from Grant in early 2012. The one I keep at home with CTC grips, X300, DG switch, suppressor, etc is VERY accurate. The other one has not been (6" groups @ 25yds at best) and is due back tomorrow from its third trip back to S&W. If it doesn't shoot when I get it back, I'm going to dump the platform and try the Gen 4 Glock 19 (shot a Gen 3 19 for 8 years before switching to M&P in 2012).

Have you sent it in for the accuracy issue? It would be nice to hear responses, etc.

ASH556
02-18-14, 16:37
Have you sent it in for the accuracy issue? It would be nice to hear responses, etc.

Not to be rude, but did you read what I wrote that you quoted? It is due back to me tomorrow from its third trip back to Smith.

The first time they replaced the barrel. It went from shooting 8 inch groups to shooting 6 inch groups. The second time they did nothing and stated that the pistol shot to spec and returned it to me. Upon receiving it back the second time I called a customer support and raised hell. They told me to send it to a specific person's attention. I will find out tomorrow whether that had any good result or not. There are a couple threads around here where I have shown target pictures for comparison between the two pistols.

walkin' trails
02-18-14, 18:11
I shot a couple of mags thru it today from 25 yards. I couldn't tell if anything was improved upon. I can't blame it all on the gun today, however.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

steve462x0
02-19-14, 15:41
Just buy one, I have two and love them. I bought a 9mm pro series core, and a 40c.

mattexass
02-19-14, 16:24
kav92, it was a drop in Storm Lake. The fitted barrels that Grant offers are a much better option.

This is what I have experienced with Grants barrel.

rim
02-19-14, 18:35
Got a 9c and shield and love both

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

dirvo85
02-19-14, 21:50
I've been flirting with the idea of picking up an M&P9 on and off for a few years. In the past, the mixed reviews of accuracy and less than stellar trigger pulls have kept me away from them. I am quite satisfied with the performance I get out of my G19 and PPQ that I probably wouldn't gain too much from an M&P in that regard.

There is, however, one reason I still would want the M&P, and that's because of the CTC lasergrips available for it. I like the idea of having a laser available for low light situations, but have not been too thrilled with the CTC options for Glocks. I had one for my G19, and liked having a laser, but hated how it felt, so I sold it. No good option for the PPQ either. Among striker fired 9mms, the M&P version is the only CTC unit I think is great. Just like an OEM part, and can stay "out of the way" if I don't want to use it.

Just wondering if anyone feels that the CTC unit is reason enough to go for an M&P.

I think that people overlook how excellently the CT grips are integrated into the M&P series.

I don't own CT grips for any of my M&P's but I should. I wish that money was of no object to me but, sadly, it is.

The M&P platform has served me well and the only issue I've had to date was where a spot of bluing didn't take to the barrel. S&W took care of it right away.

I can't speak to 25 yard accuracy because my skill level at that distance is nill with a handgun. If money was no object I'm sure I could tell you how well my M&P's shoot at 25 yards.

Sent from somewhere the NSA is tracking using Tapatalk

CTI
02-21-14, 01:16
I was thinking about getting a M&P 9mm but then I seen that they came back out with the Sigma and supposedly fixed the super heavy and crazy long trigger pull that made it very inaccurate. The old Sigma 9VE was the first handgun I ever bought and first I ever shot. I shot it a ton about 8,000 rds in less then a year and my groups weren't what I was reading about in magazines or where I thought they should be after that much shooting. I then shot a G19 and my groups were 1" and smaller. I bought a G19 right after that and sold the Sigma. I was about to order a M&P a couple months ago but then seen the new Sigma and the price tag of $306 which I was really surprised about. The M&P is around $500 I think and they are very similar guns I believe and from the articles Ive read about the new Sigma it shoots really well. It still has a heavy trigger pull but not like it was before. Not trying to change the topic but has anyone bought one of these New Sigmas SD9VE and also shot a M&P? If so how much different are they and which do you like better?

Alex V
02-21-14, 08:07
I got my M&P9 in the middle of 2013 and I could not be happier.

Shooting with the stock trigger sucked, but I shot about 400 rounds through it in the stock configuration to make sure everything was okay. It was more accurate for me than my Beretta 90-Two and just as accurate as the G19 3G. I then installed the APEX FSS kit and it was a night and day difference, groups tightened up A LOT! Obviously the gun did not get more accurate, but the trigger helped my novice ass be more accurate with it. Now with a TLR1s and 10-8 front/rear sights I would not go back to my Beretta or Glock.

Still have to tweak the sights a bit because I am about way left at 25 yards lol. Could just be me tho :-D

Sry0fcr
02-21-14, 09:21
FWIW, my 2012 production fullsize 9mm has been accurate and reliable. The M&P has evolved into a real contender IMO. It's taken S&W some time to work out some issues but it's gotten progressively better. I'd buy a current production gun with no concerns, especially if the gun will host a laser. IMO CT's implementation of the LaserGrip on the M&P series has not been rivaled by anyone and it's been what 7 years now? I now prefer the M&P over Glocks but I have to admit that I'll be rotating back to a G19 for carry due to size only. S&W pull your head out and stick a 9mm barrel into the .45 compact. I'll buy 2 tomorrow.

ericridebike
02-21-14, 16:50
I switched from Glocks to M&P a few years ago after trying an M&P and really liking it and shooting it well. Just felt better in my hand than the Glocks. My M&P9 FS and M&P9 Pro 5" both have been great performers with no issues. I believe mine were 2010 productions. I think I got lucky and haven't had accuracy issues out of either. I do have some Apex bits in both. I would like to try one of the newer versions with the improved triggers. All that being said, I just picked up a Gen3 Glock 34 to add to the mix.