PDA

View Full Version : Usage question: Geissele SSA-E vs SD-E

Skyyr
02-16-14, 18:27
For those of you who have used both, is there any noticeable difference between the SSA-E and the SD-E, besides the perceived effort for the trigger pull? To clarify, I'm not asking for the differences, I'm asking if there was any noticeable difference in your experience. Any objections to using a SD-E in a fighting rifle?

BrigandTwoFour
02-16-14, 18:41
I've never noticed much of a difference. The flat trigger bow on the SD-E does what it's advertised to do, but that's about it. The cleanliness of the break is exactly the same between them. I can detect a significant difference between my SSA and the SSA-E/SD-E. But, in all honesty, the difference between my SSA-E and SD-E are pretty insignificant.

I would have no objection to the SD-E in a fighting gun, so long as you have a practiced trigger finger.

OldState
02-16-14, 18:51
Not exactly what you were asking for, but I have the SD E though never used a SSA-E in a rifle. I have only tried it in a gig. That being said the weight on the SD E is between 3.5lbs and 3.75lbs and feels a tiny bit lighter than the equivalent SSA-E

When I bought it a few years back my EDC was a 1911 with a 3.75lb super crisp trigger so when I would go to my carbine the stock Colt trigger felt SUPER heavy.....but it was more of an issue going from the rifle to the pistol. That was a bit scary.

My EDC's are now a M&p 9c and M&P FS 45 with 4.5lb triggers and Apex parts (FSS for the 45 and both with thumb safeties)

Now that I have changed I think I will do a SSA for my next build. I "grew up" on custom 1911 triggers used in competitive shooting so the light trigger is not a big deal for me.

If your experience is with stock heavy triggers than it may be an issue. For me it's just a muscle memory thing

Sparky5019
02-16-14, 19:41
While I don't OWN both, I use an S3G and have TRIED the SD3G. I'm not a fan of the flat trigger bow. While it does what it's advertised to do, it's just not comfortable to me. It also looks weird though that makes little to no difference except to personal taste. Good luck. Any Geissele trigger will be a good product for you!

Quick Draw
02-17-14, 07:38
Since the trigger shape on my bolt guns and handguns are all curved I went with the SSA-E and really like it. I am used to fairly light pull weights and do not like the heavy mil spec triggers.

I know that I did not answer your question directly as I have not used the flat trigger but think it would be fine, just different.

l8apex
02-17-14, 10:37
Own both and it really comes down to preference. On my end I prefer the SD variants, running SD-C/SD-E on most my rifles with one rifle with the SSA-E. Would have no reservations using the SSA-E/SD-E for a fighting rifle.

GH41
02-17-14, 16:53
I like the SD-E for the same reason I ran flat triggers on my open pistols. If you are slapping it to shoot as fast as possible finger placement isn't as important with the flat trigger. If you have the luxury of leaning on the trigger before sending a round down range it probably doesn't matter which you use. I can't imagine using the E for a fighting rifle trigger but my do everything AR will probably never be used for that purpose. I am putting together a light weight bug out rifle as we speak. It will sport an ALG. GH