PDA

View Full Version : OCD? Or something I should fix?

mrvip27
02-16-14, 18:32
So long story short, got this lower from grant. It came with a b5 end plate. Grant is a great guy btw. Not bashing. I have never really noticed until now but the receiver extension is rotationally crooked. The stock isn't square to the grip and everything else. It isnt drastically off...but it is a little bit annoying.

Do I have ocd? Or is it something I should fix?

If so, how? I am a noob.

Thanks!

crappy drawing for clarification:

_Stormin_
02-16-14, 18:36
Can you take a picture? I'm guessing that the drawing is a bit exaggerated.

mrvip27
02-16-14, 19:07
Yes. Let me go grab some. Ill post some soon.

Iraqgunz
02-16-14, 19:08
I think you should contact him first if you are really bothered. It appears you are since you mentioned it here.

Eric D.
02-16-14, 19:48
This isn't all that uncommon. The tab on the endplate that engages the slot in the receiver extension keeps it from rotating when the castle nut is tightened but sometimes there is a little wiggle room. It's an easy fix if it bothers you but you'll have to break the staking on the endplate.

discreet
02-16-14, 19:57
I actually find having it slight off towards the right, really isn't an issue and actually helps sort of wrap around under the arm in certain positions. It's when it's canted to the left it irks me as then the stock has a tendency to put more pressure on the chest then needed.

mrvip27
02-16-14, 20:10
This isn't all that uncommon. The tab on the endplate that engages the slot in the receiver extension keeps it from rotating when the castle nut is tightened but sometimes there is a little wiggle room. It's an easy fix if it bothers you but you'll have to break the staking on the endplate.

Well Ill still post some pics here shortly. See what you guys think.

How would you go about fixing it if I wanted to?

discreet
02-16-14, 20:15
Well Ill still post some pics here shortly. See what you guys think.

How would you go about fixing it if I wanted to?

You will need a castle nut wrench at minimum. If it's staked you will need it unstaked. Personally I'd just check with Grant before you spend money on a wrench etc if it bugs you that much.

Col_Crocs
02-16-14, 20:16
If you really want to do it yourself, you'll need to loosen the castle nut enough to allow you to nudge it straight. You will need to break your original staking so you'll have to stake it again at another point, unless ofcourse, Grant staked it in 2 points.
I agree with discreet. Contact Grant first. It's by far the easiest thing you can do.

3ACR_Scout
02-16-14, 23:50
t's when it's canted to the left it irks me as then the stock has a tendency to put more pressure on the chest then needed.
I ran into this issue with a BCM lower - it was canted just enough to be visible (to me at least) when looking at the stock from the rear or top (my wife could see it too, so it wasn't just my OCD). I felt like the bottom of the butt plate was digging into the side of my chest when I shouldered the rifle. I contacted BCM, they asked me for a few photos, and them had me ship it back to them. They fixed it and sent it back the same day they received it. I think it's still canted by just a hair, but it's not noticeable to me anymore when using the rifle. The big question I had was whether there is a spec that says how much the RE can be canted. I still haven't found an answer to that. So to the OP, no, I wouldn't just attribute it to your OCD, because it was apparently enough in my case for BCM to fix it for me.

Dave

discreet
02-17-14, 00:01
I ran into this issue with a BCM lower - it was canted just enough to be visible (to me at least) when looking at the stock from the rear or top (my wife could see it too, so it wasn't just my OCD). I felt like the bottom of the butt plate was digging into the side of my chest when I shouldered the rifle.
Dave

Yup, and that is exactly why I can't tolerate a leftward cant :) Rightward IMO its rock on. Actually nice to have a rightward cant on it, especially with some plate carriers :)

Iraqgunz
02-17-14, 00:12
Companies often times fix things so they don't end up on the internet and explode and then a bunch of morons attack them and the name publicly for a POS weapon. I have issues where I couldn't get the RE lined up 100% and it was off just a little.

I ran into this issue with a BCM lower - it was canted just enough to be visible (to me at least) when looking at the stock from the rear or top (my wife could see it too, so it wasn't just my OCD). I felt like the bottom of the butt plate was digging into the side of my chest when I shouldered the rifle. I contacted BCM, they asked me for a few photos, and them had me ship it back to them. They fixed it and sent it back the same day they received it. I think it's still canted by just a hair, but it's not noticeable to me anymore when using the rifle. The big question I had was whether there is a spec that says how much the RE can be canted. I still haven't found an answer to that. So to the OP, no, I wouldn't just attribute it to your OCD, because it was apparently enough in my case for BCM to fix it for me.

Dave

mrvip27
02-17-14, 00:19
Didn't mean to make this thread seem like im insulting BCM or grant. Its been fully operational otherwise. I am just nit picky when it comes to details.

Here is the picture. Best I could get.

TXinfidel
02-17-14, 00:36
Didn't mean to make this thread seem like im insulting BCM or grant. Its been fully operational otherwise. I am just nit picky when it comes to details.

Here is the picture. Best I could get.

Some tend to take harmless questions or input as calculated personal attacks also. There are some very thin skinned individuals in this industry.

SilverBullet432
02-17-14, 01:05
Get a hold of Grant see what he tells you, maybe run it like that for a bit, who knows, you might not even notice it whilst shooting.

Col_Crocs
02-17-14, 02:06
It doesn't look bad from the photo... How much of a cant are you getting with a stock on?

mrvip27
02-17-14, 03:13
It doesn't look bad from the photo... How much of a cant are you getting with a stock on?

Its not drastic or horrible by any means, its just a bit more cant than I desire. Do you want a picture with the stock on?

Col_Crocs
02-17-14, 03:28
Might as well. Bottomline though, I'd get in touch with Grant if it really bothers you.

Stickman
02-17-14, 06:06
Do you want a picture with the stock on?

No, the piece isn't correct, and it was designed to be installed straight. Give Grant a call or email, if he doesn't see it and PM you first.

USAF1980s
02-17-14, 06:14
Just a technical comment: When I assemble the Receiver Extension onto a lower, I put a stock on the RE to aid in holding alignment during tightening of the castle nut. I put the lower with grip and stock on the bench and torque the nut, the bench holds both in alignment.

I have to admit that on many of my personal lowers, I don't stake (or use loctite) the castle nut as these don't see hard use. One other lowers, I do stake the nut in 1 location, and then just enough to interfere with the backing plate notch.

My guess on the OP's unit, that was just missed during work.

C4IGrant
02-17-14, 08:24
The RE is designed to be straight. This one isn't to bad though. If it bothers you, please send it back.

C4

markm
02-17-14, 08:54
Some tend to take harmless questions or input as calculated personal attacks also. There are some very thin skinned individuals in this industry.

That's the understatement of the decade.

Some REs and enplate interfaces are prone to this. It should be straight. I've busted staked Castle nuts and fixed this on guns I've assembled.

The stock is a contact point for your body. It may seem silly... but I want that interface just right.