PDA

View Full Version : M&P CORE 9mm iron sights zero

mark1JT
02-16-14, 19:42
Just inquiring if anyone else has had this issue with their iron sights on their M&P CORE?

5m: Point of aim (POA) and point of impact (POI) are the same

7m: POA is 1.5-2 inches low of POI

25m: POA is 8 inches low of POI

I am using the centre hold sight picture (top of front sight lined up with top of rear sight).

I called S&W but they said they do not zero the pistol, just a grouping test. They referred me to the Canadian S&W warranty reps.

I called the Canadian S&W warranty rep and he advised that my sight picture was correct but that for a 25m POA/POI zero the pistol would need either a higher front sight or a lower rear. I have searched this site and many others any only see reference to their M&P CORE's shooting low.

I want to make sure that if I get the sight heights changed I can still co-witness an MRDS for when I get one. I want a 25m POA/POI as this is what I use with my work sig P226 DAK. I also use the centre hold sight picture with my work gun. What is the lowest height for a front and rear sight that I can still co-witness with an MRDS? My M&P is the 4.25" barrel version.

Thanks everyone.

TRshootem
02-16-14, 22:06
Honestly, most every one of my M&P's shoot a bit low. For that matter, every Sig I own shot low out of the box. My 9L Core shoots low as well, but sight options are few as yet. I now run a RDS and it's shooting well and the dot rides just above the front site. My 9L Pro needed a lower front sight to bring POA/POI up to where it now shoots where I point. The Core sights are really intended to be seen thru a RDS as BUIS. You will like this pistol a bunch more when setup with a RDS. The Core I own shoots low at the distances you listed.

BaronFitz
02-16-14, 22:10
Not sight-related, but I found that my Pro tended to shoot low with the large backstrap, and much closer to POA with the medium, even though I have long fingers.

mark1JT
02-16-14, 22:15
I have shot and received the same results with the large, medium and small backstraps. I use the small now as I have carnie hands and anything else seems too big. This is one reason that I bought the CORE. On my sig I run the E2 grip and its do-able but not ideal. I don't have any other choice though.

I cannot complain about the CORE otherwise as I have put 850 rounds through it doing various slow and fast fire drills. Accuracy seems fine. Zero malfunctions with ball 147 grain and 147 grain SXT.

opngrnd
02-17-14, 00:30
I would think an experienced pistolsmith could shorten the factory front sight and refinish it afterwards. As long as it is shooting to the same place consistently with the ammo you're planning on using, I don't think shortening the front sight poses any problems. Pick a 'smith you trust and run it by him.

JSantoro
02-17-14, 07:26
Dawson's equation that allows one to be able to figure out what height of front sight will suit you, based upon your sight radius and your POI deviation: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/FrontSightHeight.pdf

mark1JT
04-19-14, 22:04
So I sent my M&P CORE to MD Charleton. Apparently the sights were fine but they diagnosed the issue back to a bad barrel. When I asked they said just minor imperfections in the barrel were leading to the gun shooting high. I'll report back once they send it back and I get some range time with it.

MegademiC
04-19-14, 23:08
Unless Im missing something, because the sights are so high, its not going to shoot poa at 5 and 25 yds. Even with standard sights, I shoot the dot(on fsp) at 5-7, and use a lollipop hold at 25 do get bullseye hits. The bullet has to travel up to meet line of sight, and this is going to be more pronounced with higher sights as the angle is greater.

EDIT: after re-reading the OP, I think that may not be what your asking...

RWH24
04-20-14, 01:04
http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

Sight Calculator
Use this tool to find out how much shorter (or taller) your front or rear sight needs to change.

mark1JT
03-07-15, 17:16
Dawson's equation that allows one to be able to figure out what height of front sight will suit you, based upon your sight radius and your POI deviation: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/FrontSightHeight.pdf

Finally got to the range with the M&P this week. A move, lack of range and being busy with work didn't help... oh and the extremely long wait time in getting the barrel from Smith and Wesson.

Anyhow, the gun is still shooting high. Back to the drawing board. Waiting on a response from MD Charleton as to what to do now.

detacbob
03-08-15, 21:23
OP-

Initial post says it shoots low. Current post indicates shooting high. Can you clarify?

mark1JT
03-08-15, 21:41
OP-

Initial post says it shoots low. Current post indicates shooting high. Can you clarify?

Sorry initial post was worded poorly possibly but means the gun shoots high. The gun shoots 8 inches high @ 25 meters. Basically POI is 8 inches high of POA.

scootle
03-08-15, 22:09
Will be curious to see how this plays out. My older circa 2009 M&P9 FS shoots a tad low, in my experience with factory 115gr FMJ, but my more recent M&P9 PC CORE seems to be OK with the BUIS.

What ammo are you using and approximately what production date is your pistol?

mark1JT
03-08-15, 23:12
Will be curious to see how this plays out. My older circa 2009 M&P9 FS shoots a tad low, in my experience with factory 115gr FMJ, but my more recent M&P9 PC CORE seems to be OK with the BUIS.

What ammo are you using and approximately what production date is your pistol?

August 2013 production roughly (when it was test fired).

147 grain federal fmj.

scootle
03-08-15, 23:45
August 2013 production roughly (when it was test fired).

147 grain federal fmj.

IIRC, the M&P series seem dialed into 124gr loads with the factory iron sights, but regardless, with 147gr, expect to print a bit high just due to physics. Every pistol is a little different though, so maybe there is some idiosyncrasy here causing the issues you describe. Try running 124gr standard pressure to compare, perhaps?

edit: Also, I assume you are shooting off a bag or other rested condition to eliminate variables... also if you can get another shooter to join you at the range to verify, that helps too. :D Not saying you are the problem, but it's good to be thorough. 8" high is a significant offset... even at 25yds.