View Full Version : Hitting targets at 300M with Glock 17

JBecker 72
02-17-14, 11:06
Guy can shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYD73YvqH4#t=85

Eurodriver
02-17-14, 11:14
That's some good shooting.

Wasn't Surf was doing some wild stuff like this at Kokohead years ago?

markm
02-17-14, 11:34
Sure... he's shooting two hands. ;)

How many mils is that come up anyway?

T2C
02-17-14, 11:43
That was a good video. Pushing yourself and your equipment is part of a solid training regimen. If I understand correctly, he fired 40 rounds to score 3 hits on the steel silhouette at 300 meters. That is a 7.5% hit ratio, which is really good at 300 meters in my opinion.

Was the shooter in the video firing 124g Fiocchi 9mm ammunition that is available in CONUS? Given his accent he may be shooting ammunition loaded to European standards. That would be a factor when calculating hold over. With US ammunition the hold over should be 10-12 feet.

This is the type of firearm related information that interests me the most.

markm
02-17-14, 12:55
That was a good video. Pushing yourself and your equipment is part of a solid training regimen.

Yep. We used to regularly shoot pistol at our 100 yard rifle gong. Then I went to an intermediate handgun class and they had us shoot at 50 yards. The instructors were shocked when I went 5 for 5.

I can't shoot pistol that good anymore. Too much time on the long guns these days.

RWH24
02-17-14, 13:24
ZERO is from Italy. He is good at what he does. Shoot!

WillBrink
02-17-14, 13:39
Not that it's competition, but seeing that reminded me of the one and only Bob Munden (RIP Bob) shooting a balloon at 200 yards with a snub nose revolver, 3 out of 3 shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk

Griz22
02-17-14, 14:51
Holy smokes. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodeRed30
02-17-14, 14:57
Not only am I impressed with the shooting, I am very surprised to see a serious shooter in Italy. I didn't realize there were Europeans who take shooting as seriously as Americans. Nice vid.

Surf
02-17-14, 15:29
That's some good shooting.

Wasn't Surf was doing some wild stuff like this...I still do it and it is a part of a curriculum for an advanced pistol course that I teach. We perform all of this from an unsupported, two handed, standing position. Some people think it is just a gimmick but it has some tremendous direct practical applications in other areas of shooting besides just shooting a long ways off. We generally go out to a 220 yard 12x14 plate (upper torso sized) and the Glock, at least my stock barreled Gen4 G17, is capable of going 10 for 10 at this distance with decent factory ammo under ideal conditions. Generally misses will be dialing in for conditions or ammo changes. I do go after a 6x6 piece of steel at 310 quite often with pretty good success. I also use this as a method to enforce the need to adhere to basic fundamentals in my irons only carbine course. When guys are slacking or not getting good hits with the rifle, I like to pull out the Glock take a single shot on that 220 plate and remind them that it is about fundamentals and understanding your holds and the conditions particularly the wind.

Not that it's competition, but seeing that reminded me of the one and only Bob Munden (RIP Bob) shooting a balloon at 200 yards with a snub nose revolver, 3 out of 3 shotsIMO Bob Munden was the man. While I am no great shoot and there are those on this forum who would smoke me, Bob was a big inspiration for me. I think the biggest facet was to help remind me that nothing was impossible because he was doing it himself. The seemingly impossible. :)

WillBrink
02-17-14, 16:33
I still do it and it is a part of a curriculum for an advanced pistol course that I teach. We perform all of this from an unsupported, two handed, standing position. Some people think it is just a gimmick but it has some tremendous direct practical applications in other areas of shooting besides just shooting a long ways off. We generally go out to a 220 yard 12x14 plate (upper torso sized) and the Glock, at least my stock barreled Gen4 G17, is capable of going 10 for 10 at this distance with decent factory ammo under ideal conditions. Generally misses will be dialing in for conditions or ammo changes. I do go after a 6x6 piece of steel at 310 quite often with pretty good success. I also use this as a method to enforce the need to adhere to basic fundamentals in my irons only carbine course. When guys are slacking or not getting good hits with the rifle, I like to pull out the Glock take a single shot on that 220 plate and remind them that it is about fundamentals and understanding your holds and the conditions particularly the wind.

IMO Bob Munden was the man. While I am no great shoot and there are those on this forum who would smoke me, Bob was a big inspiration for me. I think the biggest facet was to help remind me that nothing was impossible because he was doing it himself. The seemingly impossible. :)

And he was so humble about it.... :dirol:

He was one of a kind.

Oh, and I'd be that guy having trouble hitting the 220 with long gun.

Voodoo_Man
02-17-14, 16:56
Distance shooting is very important, and the video shows what an afternoon can do in terms of giving you the right type of applicable knowledge of what your gun does at what distance.

300m shooting, while awesome, is not really applicable in the real world unless under very specific conditions. As I stated in a different thread, about 25-35 yards is about as far as I am willing to let a round loose on the street, and that would be a supported/prone/otherwise perfect shot (taking my time breathing, the whole bit). The liability of shooting at great distances with any pistol round is great and I would not want to be the one trying to explain to a jury why I took the shot and how many times I have done so before.

R0CKETMAN
02-17-14, 17:38
Not that it's competition, but seeing that reminded me of the one and only Bob Munden (RIP Bob) shooting a balloon at 200 yards with a snub nose revolver, 3 out of 3 shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk

IMO Bob Munden was the man. While I am no great shoot and there are those on this forum who would smoke me, Bob was a big inspiration for me. I think the biggest facet was to help remind me that nothing was impossible because he was doing it himself. The seemingly impossible. :)

Didn't know he died...missed it somehow....friend of mine has a revolver he built..right on SURF Bob was da man

black22rifle
02-17-14, 18:29
He was shooting 124 grain 9x21mm ammo. I believe those glocks are also in 9x21mm since they cannot own 9x19mm in Italy due to it being a military caliber.

ttboy
02-17-14, 19:31
Very impressive, makes me re-think my percieved max range of pistol calibers.

T2C
02-17-14, 22:16
Yep. We used to regularly shoot pistol at our 100 yard rifle gong. Then I went to an intermediate handgun class and they had us shoot at 50 yards. The instructors were shocked when I went 5 for 5.

I can't shoot pistol that good anymore. Too much time on the long guns these days.

Long range pistol shooting is a useful teaching tool. When I was teaching carbine classes to LEO I would have them shoot at a silhouette target at 100 yards with their service pistols so they would have an idea what kind of threat someone armed with a pistol could pose. It is also useful to know how your pistol hits at distance, because you may not have your carbine with you when it hits the fan.

When I have time, I like to shoot a Glock 22 at 200 yards. It's a real challenge.

Quiet
02-18-14, 03:25
How about an actor (Michael Rooker) doing a head shot at 70 yards with a 1911.

http://youtu.be/dOXmfE2naZE

Ark1443
02-18-14, 08:18
Impressive. I think I need to practice more!