PDA

View Full Version : Current handgun sales

Slater
02-17-14, 13:29
I've read on a couple forums that current handgun sales are trending toward smaller, concealable types and away from full-size weapons. Accurate or just more hearsay?

austinN4
02-17-14, 19:39
I've read on a couple forums that current handgun sales are trending toward smaller, concealable types and away from full-size weapons. Accurate or just more hearsay?
I can't answer your question, but I do know I bought a Shield while the M&P FS sits in the nightstand.

Bigun
02-17-14, 20:50
Accurate from what I have seen lately at both gun shows and the local shop. CCW is pretty much law of the land now with both Ill and Wisconsin finally caving in. Small 9mm's and .45's seem especially popular with .380 coming in a strong third. .40S&W fits somewhere in the mix but does not seem to be as popular in this area. Central IA.

SteyrAUG
02-17-14, 22:35

Would make sense as CCW becomes more and more prevalent (as noted by Bigun). And of course some states such as FL, GA, TX, etc. aren't going to be as stringent about things like "printing" but the states that recently adopted CCW laws, especially if they are still generally "anti gun" will be looking for an excuse to arrest somebody violating concealment requirements.

That would make smaller frame handguns a bit more popular in those areas. Additionally carrying a full frame handgun every day (especially if you need to conceal it) can be something of a chore. There are days I wish I could simply hang my C.A. Undercover on my belt and go about my business without feeling like I need to compensate for weight or feel like I'm wearing a Batman utility belt.

Carrying a full frame handgun and two spare mags is definitely a lifestyle change.

Big A
02-18-14, 09:45

All you have to do is look at what's available now that wasn't ten years ago. Back in the early 2000's you had J-frames and Kel-Tec's to choose from for small super concealable pistols and that was about it.

Now choices abound to include caliber as well as manufacurer to the point that your choices are almost limitless. There has been a huge uptick in the concealed carry movement and the manufacturers are going out of there way to answer it.

Just look at the Glock 42. Did you ever think Glock was gonna make a pistol like that? I know I sure didn't, but there is certainly a market for it now (although I think it's about 5 years late).

With the choices available to us today there is no valid reason anyone shouldn't be carrying.

SteyrAUG
02-18-14, 12:44
All you have to do is look at what's available now that wasn't ten years ago. Back in the early 2000's you had J-frames and Kel-Tec's to choose from for small super concealable pistols and that was about it.

Now choices abound to include caliber as well as manufacurer to the point that your choices are almost limitless. There has been a huge uptick in the concealed carry movement and the manufacturers are going out of there way to answer it.

Just look at the Glock 42. Did you ever think Glock was gonna make a pistol like that? I know I sure didn't, but there is certainly a market for it now (although I think it's about 5 years late).

With the choices available to us today there is no valid reason anyone shouldn't be carrying.

Glock has made subcompact .380s for years but our 1968 GCA prevents their importation same with Walther PPKs. This is why the Walther PPK/S had to be designed so it was importable.

C4IGrant
02-18-14, 13:13

Shields do outsell everything else we stock. Clue? Don't know. What I do know is that if the consumer feels that they cannot properly conceal their HG, they won't carry it. Most times, selecting a quality holster (Training and knowing how to dress) will fix this problem, but not everyone has this knowledge (so they go small).

C4

Grand58742
02-18-14, 13:36
Shields do outsell everything else we stock. Clue? Don't know. What I do know is that if the consumer feels that they cannot properly conceal their HG, they won't carry it. Most times, selecting a quality holster (Training and knowing how to dress) will fix this problem, but not everyone has this knowledge (so they go small).

C4

Is that because the Shield is the neat new toy on the market? Or because it's just that good?

Also, the question I would have on topic, is there anything a compact does that a full size does better? Reference Glock 17/19, S&W M&P full size/compact, Sig P226/229, etc.

If one can conceal a compact, does it make sense to have the full sized version of the same pistol? Not talking subcompacts and pocket pistols here, just the compacts of full sized handguns.

C4IGrant
02-18-14, 13:48
Is that because the Shield is the neat new toy on the market? Or because it's just that good?

Also, the question I would have on topic, is there anything a compact does that a full size does better? Reference Glock 17/19, S&W M&P full size/compact, Sig P226/229, etc.

If one can conceal a compact, does it make sense to have the full sized version of the same pistol? Not talking subcompacts and pocket pistols here, just the compacts of full sized handguns.

The shield represents the best single stack 9mm/40 gun out there so I think that is why it sells so well.

Compacts are more finicky, and most males have at least one finger hanging off the grip. So no, they really don't do anything better (less conceal easier).

C4

Outlander Systems
02-18-14, 17:35
Carrying a full frame handgun and two spare mags is definitely a lifestyle change.

Yup.

That's the one of the big temptations for me to go back to 9mm; I could ditch a mag pouch and still have damned near the same ammo capacity on deck. Prior to a lot of the newer, CCW-oriented products, carrying lights, spare mags, etc. flat out was a pain in the ass. Nowadays; not so much.

What I do know is that if the consumer feels that they cannot properly conceal their HG, they won't carry it. Most times, selecting a quality holster (Training and knowing how to dress) will fix this problem...

I've always carried FS OWB; with products like a kydex pancake holster, and the right garments, concealment of a FS is a non-issue.

That, and I rock a Hawaiian shirt like a stud.

Big A
02-18-14, 18:39
Glock has made subcompact .380s for years but our 1968 GCA prevents their importation same with Walther PPKs. This is why the Walther PPK/S had to be designed so it was importable.

Yes, but the problem with both of those is the size for the caliber. Why would you want a .380ACP in something the size of a G26? And while the Walther is a great pistol it's still big for a .380ACP in today's market when you can have a 9mm near the same size.

alvincullumyork
02-18-14, 18:54
The shield represents the best single stack 9mm/40 gun out there so I think that is why it sells so well.

Compacts are more finicky, and most males have at least one finger hanging off the grip. So no, they really don't do anything better (less conceal easier).

C4

What about the Walther PPS? How does it stack up against the Smith? Didn't you used to sell it?

Moose-Knuckle
02-18-14, 19:03

Steyr, could you go into a bit of just what exactly makes the PPK and the .380 GLOCKS restricted? I've always heard "they do not have enough points" but never understood what those point actually are in relation to the 1968 GCA.

SteyrAUG
02-18-14, 19:17
Yes, but the problem with both of those is the size for the caliber. Why would you want a .380ACP in something the size of a G26? And while the Walther is a great pistol it's still big for a .380ACP in today's market when you can have a 9mm near the same size.

I was just pointing out why it took so long to bring something like subcompact .380 Glocks to market.

SteyrAUG
02-18-14, 19:24
Steyr, could you go into a bit of just what exactly makes the PPK and the .380 GLOCKS restricted? I've always heard "they do not have enough points" but never understood what those point actually are in relation to the 1968 GCA.

Sporting purposes qualification test. I don't have the ATF chart but the only way to have a Walther PPK is to have a pre 1968 import. Minimum size, caliber requirements and non fixed sights are some of the "points."

Most people don't even know these guns are restricted because they've grown up without them and there were domestic versions like the Kel Tec. Others don't even realize the difference between the PPK and the PPK/S and assume they own a PPK. But there are an entire class of foreign made handguns that have been unavailable to the US market for almost 50 years now.

The one that always scares me is that they tried to add all handguns to the 1934 NFA.

Redbeardsong
02-18-14, 19:41
The PPS is a very good gun, but is considerably more expensive than the Shield. The Shield really has been the gun to beat in the single stack (or slim) carry gun category. Good trigger, pleasant to shoot, light, and reliable. We've probably sold 100 shields for every PPS we've sold this year.

Small carry guns are probably our largest segment of retail sales that I see over the last year. Most customers are looking for smaller carry guns, either as a first handgun or as a smaller option than their full size guns.

Moose-Knuckle
02-18-14, 20:12
Sporting purposes qualification test. I don't have the ATF chart but the only way to have a Walther PPK is to have a pre 1968 import. Minimum size, caliber requirements and non fixed sights are some of the "points."

Most people don't even know these guns are restricted because they've grown up without them and there were domestic versions like the Kel Tec. Others don't even realize the difference between the PPK and the PPK/S and assume they own a PPK. But there are an entire class of foreign made handguns that have been unavailable to the US market for almost 50 years now.

The one that always scares me is that they tried to add all handguns to the 1934 NFA.

Great, thanks for the info, typical government red tape BS. Never been a .380 guy so I never took the time to research into the "why".