PDA

View Full Version : What is your load development process?

Onyx Z
02-17-14, 22:28
I've tried it all from OCW, ladder testing, to shooting groups. I haven't had much luck with the OCW or ladder testing, so I've resorted to the tried and true groups method. It takes a lot of time and uses a lot of powder, bullets, and primers, but it flat out works for me.

What's your method? Any other lesser known methods that may work better than those mentioned above?

T2C
02-17-14, 22:38
I use the ladder technique for load development at 300 yards and never any closer than 200 yards. Any closer and I don't have any luck using the ladder technique.

If I am shooting at 100 yards, I load up groups of 12 rounds. I clean between each 10 shot group, fire 2 fouling shots, then shoot for groups. You are right, because I have used up a lot of powder and projectiles before finding a good load doing it this way.

The fastest way is to find some crusty old bastard who shoots a rifle like mine and ask for his load recipe. Sometimes you get lucky and they share their load data with you.

markm
02-18-14, 07:31
I've never tried the ladder test. I'd fukk it up, no doubt.

I shoot groups with a chrono. I have a targeted velocity range and try to find a load close to that where the groups are good and the S.D. is hopefully low.