PDA

View Full Version : New guy question?

webyguncheck
02-19-14, 12:26
My company as asked me to build an AR under $1200. I was reaching out to the knowledge on this forum for the best possible parts I can use for this build. Please respond with your thoughts! Thanks!

Rascally
02-19-14, 12:38
My company as asked me to build an AR under $1200. I was reaching out to the knowledge on this forum for the best possible parts I can use for this build. Please respond with your thoughts! Thanks!

What is the intended purpose? Will this be a duty rifle or casual use? What standards have they set other than price?

Do they want a Mercedes, or a Sentra?

Kenneth
02-19-14, 12:40
Why build over buy? Colt 6920 is under that price... I build my own AR's usually just because I enjoy it and I can get the parts I want. What is your "company" and what's the use for the rifle? Is this something that your gonna need more of? Need more information.

webyguncheck
02-19-14, 13:20
They want to build the best possible AR for that price and learn how to build one in the process. It is going to be auctioned off and the proceeds will go to Wounded Warrior Project

discreet
02-19-14, 13:23

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?82447-PLEASE-READ-THIS-FIRST-Custom-Build-AR-Forum

Second, probably a good idea to read. Unsure of why most new people come and think everyone else needs to do their work for them. Lazyness is a plague.

Also wise to read the stickies before posting.

webyguncheck
02-19-14, 13:32
Wasn't being lazy just wanted some knowledge from this forum, to build the best possible AR that could gain the most for the auction to donate. If that is to much then I understand.

Ryno12
02-19-14, 13:45
OP, discreet is correct. This is the wrong sub forum to ask your question. Your best bet is to spend some time reading. You're gonna all sorts of opinions based on your vague criteria.
The cheap & dirty answer I can give you is that you'll do pretty well if you source your parts from here:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/default.asp?m=0

Welcome to the M4C.

Sent via Tapatalk

Col_Crocs
02-19-14, 13:47
Ok, This clears things up a bit. So it's for an auction... what exactly isnthe premise around it and what crowd are you expecting to aution it to?

discreet
02-19-14, 14:03
Wasn't being lazy just wanted some knowledge from this forum, to build the best possible AR that could gain the most for the auction to donate. If that is to much then I understand.

Again, this same exact question is asked every other day by a new member, and sometimes even by people who have been here for awhile. Look in the general ar discussion at the top. ALL your questions will be answered. No need to make a new thread on thd same thing that has been asked and answered a zillion times.

You may think your question is different and new because it's for an auction, but again, its the same thing asked almost daily by people. You will get the same answers everyone else has given, so in that case, best to read through threads for a few hours, or days.

webyguncheck
02-19-14, 14:09
Ill move to the correct forum, I apologize for the newby mistake.

TehLlama
02-19-14, 16:25
This one is a bit unusual - for an auction rifle you actually would want uniqueness over outright functionality, so the 6920 I guess would be out.

If anything, I'd be looking at a BCM Barreled upper, choose a practical and light handguard, and then build up the lower (or get a blemished BCM model and swap some parts to match the colors). This also opens up some options as far as getting some tan anodized stuff for the handguard, and subbing in some Magpul parts onto the lower. I don't think you'd be hard pressed to justify a blemished lower - for WWP the concept may not be that it has to be mint condition, just awesome despite cosmetics.

teutonicpolymer
02-19-14, 23:26
Something simple:
Aero Precision cerakoted lower receiver $125 + ffl fees and possibly shipping
WOA lower build kit with A2 stock and ALG trigger $150
BCM 20" standard barrel stripped upper $459
BCM BCG $189
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 $45
Centurion 12" Rail $300 (I have seen them as low as $265)
Magpul Pmag x1 $12
Magpul MS1 sling, hook adapter, and RSA $80
Daniel Defense 1.5 rear sight $65

This is a little over $1200 but it wouldn't be hard to get it under. Use a cheaper lower like one of the $50 PSA ones and use a cheaper handguard like a Troy Alpha which might be around $160 for a 12" or just A2 plastic handguards.
You can also go cheaper on the sling system by either omitting it completely, removing the hook adapter and RSA in favor of a QD swivel or direct attachment to the front sight base swivel, or even using a cheap nylon sling. I think the DD rear sight is well worth the $65 so I would keep that there. I actually like the sound of this setup the more I think about it... If this is for charity then you might be able to get places to give discounts or possibly request a 1 off lower with special roll mark from some place like Aero Precision to help keep costs down and increase the appeal of the rifle. Good luck with your charity auction.

Col_Crocs
02-20-14, 00:58
Here's a thought... How about reaching out to some of the mfgs (quality ones ofcourse) and see if they can help out. I don't mean get free stuff but if your auction is for a good cause, they might hook you up with some new or hard to get stuff and probably even give you special discounts. This would make your auction more enticing and get you a better build out of your budget.

Iraqgunz
02-20-14, 04:11
I am also working on such a project of 50 limited edition carbines and to suggest that someone will want some thrown together stuff with no thought out design is pretty much ludicrous. Additionally I wouldn't give WWP anything since they clearly have an issue with the 2nd Amendment and their overall donation management.

3 AE
02-20-14, 08:00
Let me see if I've got the whole picture here. A company is willing to pony up $1200 to have you, who admits to using this project as a learning curve on building a rifle, put together an AR 15 carbine made up of different manufactured parts, then turn it over to the highest bidder. This is a liability train wreck should something go wrong, be it a "Kaboom" or a malfunctioning build. The smart thing to do is just buy a quality, factory built carbine, as posted before. I get the impression that someone just wants the shopping list without having to do the grunt work.

cwgibson
02-20-14, 08:09
A 6920 for $1000 would be a better option.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Redbeardsong
02-20-14, 08:17
Let me see if I've got the whole picture here. A company is willing to pony up $1200 to have you, who admits to using this project as a learning curve on building a rifle, put together an AR 15 carbine made up of different manufactured parts, then turn it over to the highest bidder. This is a liability train wreck should something go wrong, be it a "Kaboom" or a malfunctioning build. The smart thing to do is just buy a quality, factory built carbine, as posted before. I get the impression that someone just wants the shopping list without having to do the grunt work.

This. Personally, I wouldn't buy someone else's parts gun. Certainly not for a premium. But I see uneducated AR buyers do it regularly. "Custom built" usually means it is a low-grade parts gun assembled by a tinkerer, not a manufacturer.

C4IGrant
02-20-14, 08:28

Please don't take offense, but the first question I have is do you have the knowledge to properly build an AR? Meaning, have you been professionally trained and then had years of on the job experience? If not, I would re-think building one that your company is going to raffle off. Imagine how pissed off the buyer will be when they find something wrong with it.

$1200 is a good budget for a build. More than likely, people that will bid on this gun won't have a clue about AR's. So you can go two routes. Mimic a .Mil gun (M16A2/A4, SPR, M4, MK12, etc), or build a gun that is more on the "bling" side of things. SS barrel, FF rail, camo'd or cerakoted, etc, etc.

Good luck.

C4

CHIMO
02-20-14, 17:50
They want to build the best possible AR for that price and learn how to build one in the process. It is going to be auctioned off and the proceeds will go to Wounded Warrior Project

So let me get this right, they want you to LEARN to build an AR on a rifle they intend to auction off? I suggest you get formal training before you do OJT on a rifle that they intent to auction. Just my .02

LewP
02-20-14, 18:55
The potential liability issues for both you and your company are significant. If I were in your shoes I would buy a factory rifle and have a bling paint/hydrodip/cerakote job applied to it. As others have said unique items tend to auction for the best prices. Broadly recognizable brand names are important here, e.g. Colt, Smith and Wesson...

Call/e-mail Grant and I'll bet he could fix you up with a solution that's within your budget.