PDA

View Full Version : flash suppressor/hider replacement question

dinkydau
02-19-14, 12:47
I recently bought the Colt M4 LE6920CA here in N. Calif. I am interested in replacing the birdcage flash suppressor with the 3 prong suppressor by Panther Arms. The 3 prong is angled and is the same one I had on my M16 in Vietnam. I think it would look cool and nice. I read where you need a washer or there is one and it needs to be replaced? Also I saw a special tool for $25. I also read something about torqueing when applying the new one? or do I need to do that. Just maybe to avoid all the tools bought, bring it to my local gunsmith and have him charge me $20 and that's it?
Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanx.

markm
02-19-14, 12:54
I think you can time that 3 prong with a crush washer. That and the wrench and you should be able to turn it right on there. You can just spin it on there without timing it. That's how many of the 3 prong Blackout flash hiders are installed.

Wrap the front sight tower in a towel and put it in a bench vise, and you're set.

Grand58742
02-19-14, 18:27
I recently bought the Colt M4 LE6920CA here in N. Calif. I am interested in replacing the birdcage flash suppressor with the 3 prong suppressor by Panther Arms. The 3 prong is angled and is the same one I had on my M16 in Vietnam. I think it would look cool and nice. I read where you need a washer or there is one and it needs to be replaced? Also I saw a special tool for $25. I also read something about torqueing when applying the new one? or do I need to do that. Just maybe to avoid all the tools bought, bring it to my local gunsmith and have him charge me $20 and that's it?
Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanx.

Most of the time the crush washer comes with the device when purchased and yes, you should replace the old one any time you replace a device. If it doesn't come with one, they run about $2 off most of the reputable AR supply sites.

As for torque, hand tight is generally good enough. No specific foot-poundage required and you can use a standard crescent wrench to take off the old and put on the new.

Switch
02-19-14, 19:18
I have a AAC 300 BLK flash hider I need to install on mine and it says recommended torque is:

51 tooth ratchet mount

Thread pitch:
1/2x28=20-30 Ft #
5/8x24=45-55 Ft#
9/16x24=30-40 Ft#
3/4x24+90-100 Ft#

Don't know if that's what you were looking for. That's from the back of a AAC 3 prong blackout flash hider.

dinkydau
02-20-14, 19:55
I placed a 3/4 open end box wrench on the flat part of the existing birdcage and the wrench fits, but a shy loose. Would that be o.k. or use? I don't want to ruin the flat part being that I may want to use it again sometime.
I ordered the 3 prong by DPMS, Panther Arms. I presume this one is o.k. Looks good. Only cost about $6 something. Didn't come with a washer to I got one on of those too. I don't have a torque wrench and the ones I have seen for this suppressor don't come close to measuring the torque. So maybe I'll just do it hand tight.
Do I need any type of lubricant on the threads before putting the new one on? I used pipe dope in the trades, so this is why I am asking. Or a smidgen of gun grease?

Switch
02-20-14, 20:13
Rocksett is what they recommend for putting on the threads for installing this flash hider, it came with a one time use tube.

As for using a wrench that is a little loose, I'm not sure I would do that, chances are it has some kind of thread locker and if the wrench slips you could find yourself in a bad situation.

dinkydau
02-20-14, 21:09
Since there is definitely play with the wrench and maybe is has some type of thread locker. Local gunsmith?? Then I know it will be replaced right, hopefully and wont have to worry about it. Maybe $22-40??

blade_68
02-21-14, 13:53
You should not need any thread locker or rockset. Like markm said and a flat tool "screwdriver" with tape to stick thru the tines hand tight should do I replaced a M16a1 birdcage with original 3 prong with split washer on an M16 upper (no forward assist) that way.