PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Dipomat rifling - Information -

cjb
02-19-14, 21:17
I ordered a 7.5 inch Noveske Diplomat from PK Firearms, and it arrived today.

Thought I'd get something that looked like a polygonal rifled barrel. However, it looked a lot like conventional rifling.

I contacted PK twice, and spoke to their receptionist, a tech, and "PK" himself. Very attentive service.
He suggested I A/B compare against other barrels, which I did. Damed if I could see any difference.

In the mean time I contacted Noveske....not a whole lot to say there. They were polite.

Ended up with Pac Nor on othe phone, who makes Noveske barrels, and they gave me all the technical info.

Rifling profile is not polygonal, even though they say it is. Its actually trapezoidal. You get distinct lands and grooves. Each land has a slightly sloped shoulder, not a "square" shoulder. And thats it. The shoulder angle will vary somewhat, and the relationship of each shoulder will also vary slightly.

What I ended up viewing wiht a bore scope looked to me like defective conventional rifling! They say its "poloyganal".

I won't repeat my conversation with Noveske here. Someone wants to hear what they said, PM me.

I guess I'm ok with the barrel. Its no worse than conventional rifling, and maybe trapezoid rifling has its merit. Dunno.

However, I thought y'all would be interested in how those polygonal rifled barrels really go out the door.

',

Koshinn
02-19-14, 22:56
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling

"Other companies such as Noveske (Pac Nor) and LWRC use a rifling more like the conventional rifling, with both of each land's sides being sloped but having a flat top and defined corners; this type of rifling is more a canted land type of rifling than polygonal rifling."

cjb
02-20-14, 01:35
Thats why I mentioned the rifling here.

What it is.... and what you get are dissimilar