PDA

View Full Version : Proposal requiring all new guns be "personalized"

platoonDaddy
02-20-14, 04:48
Another feel good proposal from a MA wack'o US Senator. What about the zillions of firearms currently on the market? ! Or is this start to ban all non-personalized firearms.

Sen. Edward Markey has unveiled a gun control bill he says will help reduce firearm violence by requiring all new guns be "personalized" with special features, such as fingerprint-reading technology, so they can only be fired by their owners or other authorized users.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/20/dem-bill-would-require-all-new-guns-be-personalized/

J-Dub
02-20-14, 07:40
Does cerakote count? lol

TAZ
02-20-14, 07:42
I will support this legislation so long as it requires a 20 year beta test cycle to be performed by active Secret Service protection details along with any other agency performing executive protection duties for elected dingbats. After 20 years of no failures I'll consider personalizing my guns.

Till then I'll stick to personalizing my guns with the accessories of my choice.

VooDoo6Actual
02-20-14, 07:43
I'd like propose a bill to be introduced that stops idiots from running for office etc.

If it could be fixed, don't cha think they would have ?

Nevermind...

El Cid
02-20-14, 08:27
I'd like propose a bill to be introduced that stops idiots from running for office etc.

Nevermind...

Two words - Term Limits. We need them in Congress and all the way down to city/county levels. No person should be allowed to be a professional politician. It's not supposed to be a career. If they knew they had to return to the private sector, as a private citizen... I believe they'd think twice before even suggesting such moronic legislation.

Scoby
02-20-14, 09:06
Two words - Term Limits. We need them in Congress and all the way down to city/county levels. No person should be allowed to be a professional politician. It's not supposed to be a career. If they knew they had to return to the private sector, as a private citizen... I believe they'd think twice before even suggesting such moronic legislation.

Too logical and would take the money and power out of those sent to DC.
It'll never happen unless the majority of Americans DEMAND IT and MAKE IT happen. Sad thing is, those who see this as the right thing to do are becoming the minority in this country very quickly.

montanadave
02-20-14, 09:07

Nevermind...

Years ago, my SIL's father served a term in the Montana House of Representatives. He became so irritated with level of inanity pervading the legislature that he introduced a bill requiring every elected state official to achieve a minimum score on a standardized IQ test.

He was censured by the House and never ran again. :D

BrigandTwoFour
02-20-14, 10:15
Without some drastic intervention, smart gun and microstamping bills will continue spreading. California's microstamping law went through years ago and finally took effect last year. Several guns are dropping off the roster, never to return (including S&W, Ruger, Springfield, and probably Glock in the near future). This week, the first "smart gun" with microstamping actually hit the market in California.

New Jersey passed a similar law years ago. They said that once the first "smart gun"goes on the market in any state, then within three years only "smart guns" can be sold in the state of New Jersey. I'm sure manufacturers are just chomping at the bit to follow suite....

R/Tdrvr
02-20-14, 10:36
Another feel good proposal from a MA wack'o US Senator. What about the zillions of firearms currently on the market? ! Or is this start to ban all non-personalized firearms.

Sen. Edward Markey has unveiled a gun control bill he says will help reduce firearm violence by requiring all new guns be "personalized" with special features, such as fingerprint-reading technology, so they can only be fired by their owners or other authorized users.

Thats the problem with liberals. They propose this type of crap based on "feelings". Not actual research to see if its fesible before wasting taxpayer dollars. I heard it described that liberals don't care if something works or not, like Obamacare, just as long as they can justify in their minds that what they have done is best for the people.

Without some drastic intervention, smart gun and microstamping bills will continue spreading. California's microstamping law went through years ago and finally took effect last year. Several guns are dropping off the roster, never to return (including S&W, Ruger, Springfield, and probably Glock in the near future)

All those manufacturers should follow Ronnie Barrett's example and stop selling to California LE agencies, to include maintenance services, as a way to protest the BS gun laws there.

Moose-Knuckle
02-20-14, 11:19

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/20/dem-bill-would-require-all-new-guns-be-personalized/

Yeah, Senator will get Q from Q-Branch at MI6 right on this, oh wait . . .

SomeOtherGuy
02-20-14, 12:20
Thats the problem with liberals. They propose this type of crap based on "feelings". Not actual research to see if its fesible before wasting taxpayer dollars. I heard it described that liberals don't care if something works or not, like Obamacare, just as long as they can justify in their minds that what they have done is best for the people.

Some may be so kindhearted and stupid as you suggest... but many more are scheming and evil, and want to make things effectively outlawed with complete BS "for the children" crap, or make things so you can technically have X legally, but in practice you are likely to break multiple laws daily without meaning to, and therefore can be arrested and imprisoned any time you become a nuisance. From what I can tell, that's already how gun laws work in many of the northeastern states.

SteyrAUG
02-20-14, 12:51
So let's take Sandy Hook and see if a personalized gun would have prevented it. The gun would have been personalized to the killers mother in addition to the fact that it was already registered. Mentally unstable and dangerous Adam Lanza (who was an authorized user) would have accessed the weapon in exactly the same way, killed his mother in exactly the same way and gone on a shooting rampage at the school in exactly the same way.

The only difference is that in addition to being "registered" the gun would have been somehow personalized to his mother. More people wasting more time and nobody trying to address the real issues.

SteyrAUG
02-20-14, 12:53
Years ago, my SIL's father served a term in the Montana House of Representatives. He became so irritated with level of inanity pervading the legislature that he introduced a bill requiring every elected state official to achieve a minimum score on a standardized IQ test.

He was censured by the House and never ran again. :D

Sounds like he was potentially the best representative your state ever had.

Grand58742
02-20-14, 13:03
I saw this and noticed there were exactly two companies in the world offering the services, according to the article at least. And one of the two only offers it for 1911 grips.

My problem with this is not the technology. Well, it is with the technology. How long before criminals find a way of circumventing the technology and adapting to to work for them? Has there ever been something along these lines that hasn't been overcome almost immediately after the technology was introduced? And let's say you want to sell your personalized firearm. How do you reset it to the new owner?

The other major problem I have is the way liberals will overreach and put in hidden portions of the bill that only come to light after it is passed. Because if all new firearms would be required for this, how long before all existing firearms would have to be retrofit or become illegal? The old mouse analogy of giving him a cookie comes into play here. Give a liberal a cookie, and suddenly they want the whole bakery.

As an optional item, I think the idea of a personalized firearm has merit. But only if the purchaser wants it that way.

diving dave
02-20-14, 13:12
I personalize most of my firearms... Lights, optics, etc...:')

SteyrAUG
02-20-14, 13:24
I saw this and noticed there were exactly two companies in the world offering the services, according to the article at least. And one of the two only offers it for 1911 grips.

My problem with this is not the technology. Well, it is with the technology. How long before criminals find a way of circumventing the technology and adapting to to work for them? Has there ever been something along these lines that hasn't been overcome almost immediately after the technology was introduced? And let's say you want to sell your personalized firearm. How do you reset it to the new owner?

The other major problem I have is the way liberals will overreach and put in hidden portions of the bill that only come to light after it is passed. Because if all new firearms would be required for this, how long before all existing firearms would have to be retrofit or become illegal? The old mouse analogy of giving him a cookie comes into play here. Give a liberal a cookie, and suddenly they want the whole bakery.

As an optional item, I think the idea of a personalized firearm has merit. But only if the purchaser wants it that way.

They have been trying this "smart gun" crap for 25 years. S&W even rolled out a prototype. While less likely to prevent crime, because criminals always find a way, there is a good chance of somebody being raped or murdered when their "unique ID" firearm has a dead battery or the processor goes tits up.

Grand58742
02-20-14, 13:44
They have been trying this "smart gun" crap for 25 years. S&W even rolled out a prototype. While less likely to prevent crime, because criminals always find a way, there is a good chance of somebody being raped or murdered when their "unique ID" firearm has a dead battery or the processor goes tits up.

Like I said, as an optional item, I have zero problems with this. It's not my place to say the buyer should or should not have a safety feature on said firearm if they want it.

And on that same token, it's not the government's place to say it either.

SteyrAUG
02-20-14, 14:05
Like I said, as an optional item, I have zero problems with this. It's not my place to say the buyer should or should not have a safety feature on said firearm if they want it.

And on that same token, it's not the government's place to say it either.

I don't disagree, just pointing out they've been chasing this stupid idea for years.

platoonDaddy
02-20-14, 14:36
The Smart System iP1, a .22-caliber pistol made by the German gun-maker Armatix GmbH, can only function with an accompanying wristwatch, which is sold separately.

Wonder what the wristwatch, costs?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/02/20/first-smart-pistol-shelves-in-california/?intcmp=features

Grand58742
02-20-14, 15:08
I don't disagree, just pointing out they've been chasing this stupid idea for years.

Apologies if you took it the wrong way as it wasn't directed at you.

Just get tired of the idiots that have zero knowledge in something attempting to create policy and mandate things.

nimdabew
02-20-14, 15:23
This "new" technology would be a lot easier to implement if we could use computer controlled electronic triggers. I understand that we cannot due to legal regulations so...

Mauser KAR98K
02-20-14, 15:35
"In other news today, a man, police said, killed ten people in a shopping mall was seen by mall patents to be shooting a pistol and what appeared to be a dismembered hand the shooter was holding on the gun while he fired at victims with his other hand."

SteyrAUG
02-20-14, 17:15
Apologies if you took it the wrong way as it wasn't directed at you.

Just get tired of the idiots that have zero knowledge in something attempting to create policy and mandate things.

No apology needed, didn't take it the wrong way. Was just adding additional info. Somewhere in my delivery things got misunderstood.

We agree on this entire issue.

jmoney
02-20-14, 17:21
Without some drastic intervention, smart gun and microstamping bills will continue spreading. California's microstamping law went through years ago and finally took effect last year. Several guns are dropping off the roster, never to return (including S&W, Ruger, Springfield, and probably Glock in the near future). This week, the first "smart gun" with microstamping actually hit the market in California.

New Jersey passed a similar law years ago. They said that once the first "smart gun"goes on the market in any state, then within three years only "smart guns" can be sold in the state of New Jersey. I'm sure manufacturers are just chomping at the bit to follow suite....

Those laws serve one purpose, and one purpose only. It is not the introduction of a "safer" firearm, it is to prevent the sale of any new firearm and/or make the purchase of such item so expensive, dangerously liable, and completely impractical that their numbers will cease to increase and eventually decline. It is the smartest move anti-gunners have done in years to advance their cause and it is in no way legal.

These acts are impermissible burden on commerce and I would be appalled if any court sustains these laws, however that is pretty much a constant these days.

Big A
02-20-14, 17:59
The Smart System iP1, a .22-caliber pistol made by the German gun-maker Armatix GmbH, can only function with an accompanying wristwatch, which is sold separately.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/02/20/first-smart-pistol-shelves-in-california/?intcmp=features

400$ for the watch and 1400$ for the gun

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147943-They-want-to-sell-you-the-iPhone-of-guns

brushy bill
02-20-14, 19:47
Term limits and IQ testing sound great to me.

SeriousStudent
02-20-14, 20:23
Very misleading. I thought the proposal would require everyone to buy a BBQ gun. I was all for that - sigh.

Quiet
02-21-14, 01:54

Current price in CA...
Armatix iP-1 = $1399.99 USD
RFID watch = $399.99 USD

Moose-Knuckle
02-21-14, 01:58
The First Smart Gun Has Come To America, And It Could Be The Start Of A Revolution
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-smart-gun-come-america-205914675.html

platoonDaddy
02-21-14, 08:02
Friggin Germans want to disarm us!

markm
02-21-14, 08:39
I personalize most of my firearms... Lights, optics, etc...:')

Same here. I don't want a gun that's NOT personlized to my tastes. I support Sen. Fukktard in this.