PDA

View Full Version : What to bring / prepare for on canoe trip down Buffalo

sadmin
02-20-14, 08:12
Im going on a little canoe trip down the Buffalo in April. Ive never been canoeing or been on that river. We are getting dropped off Thurs. morning and getting picked up Sunday. Those that have been or been on something like it...what do I need to make sure I have. I dont think weight is an issue, so I want to balance comfort with practicality. By that I mean im not looking to go in one pair of shorts with a fixed blade knife; nor do I want to float a 500.00 Yeti with Pinot Noir behind me either. We will be sleeping on the banks. Thanks for any info.

Scoby
02-20-14, 10:18
Sounds fun. Where is the Buffalo? Slow moving water or some turbulent?

Canoe size? This will dictate what and how much you can bring with you for a 3-4 day trip. Whatever you do keep the center of gravity low in the canoe. Don't stack anything much higher than the gunwales even if you're in slow moving water.

Waterproof bags, rain gear and a tent/tarp. Keep you and your gear dry. April weather can be unpredictable and cool. Wet and cold sucks especially when your intent is having a good time.

Don't forget the paddles and maybe a spare.
Me and a friend of mine use to do day trips down the Chattooga River a couple of times every summer for years. Did overnights too.
One time we floated the river in a two man raft for a day trip in June. Got to the put-in and found we had forgotten the damn paddles. We already had his truck at the take-out so, being young and dumb as we were, we said screw it, we're here, let's do it.

So we cut sticks and poled that raft down the Chattooga. Rafts are not very maneuverable with paddles. Sticks just plain stink. It's one of the most ignorant things I ever did. All we had with us were a couple of sandwiches/snacks and mass quantities of beer.
The beer made it tolerable. We got a kick out of the commercial rafting groups taking a sandbar break and pointing at us....."Look at those fools". We just smiled and waved.

We made it to the take-out right at dark. Would have been knee walking drunk too if we hadn't of had to work our asses off with those sticks.

Be smart and safe. Post some pics too.

montanadave
02-20-14, 10:56
We floated the Buffalo (assuming we're talking about the Buffalo River in upstate Arkansas) when I was living in Tulsa thirty years ago. Lots of fun with a plenty of beautiful scenery. I was never much of a canoe-guy so I'll leave the advice to the more experienced. My only suggestion would be plenty of good dry-bags and plenty of straps or bungees to keep everything with the canoe should take a spill.

Enjoy your trip.

3 AE
02-20-14, 11:13
You can Google "canoe trip checklist". It will give some basic guidelines on what to bring. Your paddling companions should be able to provide a more detailed list dependent on weather conditions, river flow/classification, etc. My only advice is do NOT under any circumstances consume alcohol while on the water. Seen my share of canoeing/rafting/kayaking disasters and close calls due to poor judgement and downright stupidity brought on by drinking, even on a Class I trip. Especially on a Class I or II river. People think it's slow moving and safe. "What can go wrong?" attitude. Next thing they're off balance and in the water, along with their gear and overturned canoe. Now other paddlers are involved trying to save their dumb asses. I'm sure you get the picture. Have a safe trip.

ETA, And always, always, always wear your life jacket!

austinN4
02-20-14, 11:19
Be sure to rent the movie Deliverance and watch it. Lots of good tips.

Moose-Knuckle
02-20-14, 11:36
Be sure to rent the movie Deliverance and watch it. Lots of good tips.

LOL, I was going to say something similar.

Grizzly16
02-20-14, 14:07
Where is the put in and out? And camping spots? The buffalo goes through mostly national park land but it gets close to private property at times. People that do not take kindly to their land being used for camping spots. We have very friendly gun laws here so don't get caught trespassing.

The buffalo is too full of drunks, hippies and idiots so be ready for that. It will probably be cold enough to keep most of them home unless you are talking about doing it in summer.

A lot of the public areas are concrete/pebbles so a hammock or sleeping pad might make your camp more comfortable. The rain can be crazy so camp well away from the water. Every year people die or lose a lot of gear during this time of year to random floods. Dry bags and clothes that keep you warm when wet are a big plus. The water and nights are cold cold this time of year. It can get miserable if you aren't ready. Cel coverage is pretty good so that is a good backup plan.

Arkansas game and fish officers do not play around. Know the laws for fishing, containers and alcohol or you can be looking at huge fines in a hurry.

Info:
http://www.agfc.com/fishing/Pages/default.aspx - fishing boating rules
Agfc info about the buffalo - http://www.agfc.com/Pages/googleSearch.aspx?q=buffalo
National laws about the buffalo - http://www.nps.gov/buff/index.htm

ra2bach
02-20-14, 14:14
wow, really open ended question but I think the single most important thing to have along is common sense. by that I mean prepare for the worst and hope for the best and don't take chances with little to gain. water adds it own dimension and amplifies contingencies.

traveling by water means PFDs, sunscreen, and when you stop at night, bug and tick repellent... stainless knives. waterproof case for phone/camera, everything in separate waterproof bags, in a dry bag, tethered to the canoe (my drybag is a yellow Seal Line with backpack straps and QR buckles and shock cord for securing stuff to dry)...

canoeing is hard work - take lots of fresh water and ways to make more. and Ibuprofen. good medkit with sutures, butterflys or glue. is this a whitewater river? - take some splint gear. and knee pads for getting low in the canoe...

I assume you're taking fishing gear but if not, a compact survival kit is useful and fun. map/compass, GPS, signaling equipment, radio. make sure to plan your trip with start/stops/finish and file your itinerary with someone who can notify if you miss your schedule.

I wear Keen covered toe sandals on the water but good hiking shoes and smartwool socks for camp (foot/ankle injuries suck) and I always have long pants/shirt and 1 level warmer jacket than I anticipate I'll need.

two is one, etc... water has a way of stripping gear from you in the most surprising ways so double up on essentials and keep them in separate packs. take plenty of rope/cord. spare tarp or survival blankets, headlamps and handheld flashights. three kinds of fire making. a quick stove like a jet boil can make coffee, hot soup, oatmeal, or dehydrated meals in just minutes - good if you need to make time or get a dunk in the river and need to warm up.

where weight doesn't matter (boat/car camping), I tend to over pack towards safety and comfort. the fact that you're asking this question tells me you haven't done it before but don't worry, once you do it, you'll know what is right and what was too much.

have fun and good luck...

sadmin
02-20-14, 14:34
Yea sorry for the ill-defined content.
Yes, this will be my first canoe trip. Its the first weekend in April.
Putting in at Ponca, getting picked up at Keyes? Its a 25 mi. trip.
Its only 2 nights camping actually, not 3. We plan on bank camping so thanks for the heads up on the gravel and needing a bed roll.
2 guys to a canoe and I think the weight limit is 850lbs so I think we are good. I was concerned with mosquitos but It sounds like April is early enough they wont be trouble.
Didnt expect the temp responses, ill take note to that. Thank you.
We are rolling no firearms, even the CCHs, just to be safe. Is self defense an issue? Do people get their crap jacked at night on the banks?
I am a little concerned about the drinking with my group. Im domesticated now, married with kids, but we have a couple that will be looking to be ripped by sun up. I already said they pull their own weight and im riding with another "calm while working" mindset guy. We can kick back in the evenings. Can you have cans on the banks when camping? Ill check out those linked sites. thanks all-

Grizzly16
02-20-14, 14:58
Avg weather for Ponca in april: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/72670 average low is 49 in april. This year we are averaging 5-10 degrees below average so it will get "plumb chilly" most likely. Combine that with sunburn, cool winds, alcohol sucking blood out to the surface (vasodilation) , lazy camp setup (half to full drunk) and you can get in a nasty situation pretty easy. I'd keester stash fire starting gear to be sure you have it when needed :).

Here is a link to the river float status: http://ar.water.usgs.gov/buffaloriver/. April shouldn't be a problem but check first. There are some very long/unpleasant drags if the water is low. Drunk + river bottom = rolled ankle with quickness. Or just a very very slow progress. I've known friends to turn 5 hour floats into 18 hours because of being drunk+low water conditions.

I *think* cans or glass bottles are a no-go but don't hold me to that.

I would always conceal carry if possible. Jacked on the bank isn't a big issue but you always have the possibility of drunks fighting (girls in swimwear + beer'd up rednecks = bad times) and snakes. Typically a 38 revolver with a few rounds of snake shot + SD ammo is a good idea. That said, snakes and drunk half-naked girls will be low in April.

Honestly one of my favorite float bring alongs is a hill people gear bag or *cringe* fanny pack. I can shove some fire making gear, a knife, a small gun, poncho, snacks, water purification and a mylar blanket in a gallon ziplock bag or two in the pack easy. And the chest rig or fanny pack can stay on me 100% of the time. So even a loss of all gear on the canoe, while a hassle, doesn't endanger my life or comfort much.

SteyrAUG
02-20-14, 15:00
Don't forget to bring your entire gun collection.

markm
02-21-14, 10:21
First thing that comes to mind that you should bring is...

A KAYAK! Canoes aren't ballin.

AKDoug
02-21-14, 17:19
Screw that, bring a raft. You can haul more and relax more.