02-20-14, 09:57
Some guy left a cleaning rod in his .338 and the results can be seen here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/19/338-lapua-magnum-kaboom/

markm
02-20-14, 10:32
What a Fukktard.

gunrunner505
02-20-14, 11:15
Tip of the day: remove cleaning rods when done cleaning.

What a moron.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

orpheus762x51
02-20-14, 12:35
knuckle head

Coal Dragger
02-20-14, 12:58
Yet another reason to only clean a barrel from the breech end. Kind of tough to do that when the handle of your cleaning rod is in the way of replacing your bolt.

lunchbox
02-20-14, 13:05
Yet another reason to only clean a barrel from the breech end. Kind of tough to do that when the handle of your cleaning rod is in the way of replacing your bolt.This!

diving dave
02-20-14, 13:10
W O W

hk_shootr
02-20-14, 13:38
Damn fool is lucky,........good to hear no one else was injured.
Waste of what appeared to be a nice stick.

ggammell
02-20-14, 13:44
What kind of cleaning rod is that?!?! Gotta get me one of those...

19trax95
02-20-14, 14:18
He sure is lucky. By the looks of the rifle and scope he could have done some serious damage to him self. It seems like it'd be hard to leave a rod on the barrel without knowing but I've seen guys at my range do much dumber so I guess it doesn't surprise me.

Steel head
02-20-14, 17:23
W O W

Worth repeating again!

Rifle scattered pretty thoroughly!

taliv
02-20-14, 17:25
i can't believe that the rod is still in the barrel. how does that happen??

savages aren't exactly 'high end'

i'd be very curious to hear if there is some design point of that action that allowed it to fail with such minimal damage to the user.

Leaveammoforme
02-20-14, 17:31
That was his one freebie. Its amazing there were only minor injuries. I mean, we're talking around 90-100 grains of powder with no where to go. Super lucky.

RazorBurn
02-20-14, 17:56
Holy sweet mother of pearl that is one lucky dude!

TehLlama
02-20-14, 17:59
I had always wondered if the bore inspections at military ranges were really justified - now I know that there were in fact handy foreign objects that can be installed in a barrel to achieve disastrous consequences.

Nater
02-20-14, 18:23
It happens all too often: familiarity breeds complacency. Complacency breeds negligence.

Be vigilant in both the large as well as the small things, fellas. Stay safe.

Voodoochild
02-20-14, 18:59
That's a pretty expensive KB right there.

Leaveammoforme
02-20-14, 19:17
After looking at the pics better I'm wondering about the ammo in the green box. Can't read headstamp but if it's 338 LM it appears to have the bullets seated way to deep (based on heights of fired & un-fired cases). I reload 338 LM- Trim my cases to 2.714 seat to 3.615. No way there is almost an inch of difference between those cases. Unless the mouths of the fired cases aren't actually touching the bottom of the box.

Vintovka
02-20-14, 19:21
Why would he even have his cleaning rod in the rifle at the range? One of the idiots who think you need to clean the bore after each shot to "break it in?"

Leaveammoforme
02-20-14, 19:36
Why would he even have his cleaning rod in the rifle at the range? One of the idiots who think you need to clean the bore after each shot to "break it in?"

From the ammo box it appears he reloads. He may have been trying to minimize shot to shot differences. Or he may have been shooting several types of powder checking how 'dirty' they were compared to each other. Lots of possibilites for cleaning when working up a load. But, leaving the rod in is the problem , not having a rod at a range.

TAZ
02-20-14, 19:42
That sux. I'm amazed that there were no serious injuries. I've seen people leave bore sighters in the bore, heck I've almost done it myself, but a cleaning rod is something new.

Familiarity and distractions when working with tiny explosions is a bad combo for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1slow01Z71
02-21-14, 07:26
This story was posted on snipershide and a couple guys were actually there. According to them the guy was getting a sticky bolt and used the cleaning rod to pop the fired brass out from what I remember.

markm
02-21-14, 07:48
This story was posted on snipershide and a couple guys were actually there. According to them the guy was getting a sticky bolt and used the cleaning rod to pop the fired brass out from what I remember.

So the retard is loading ammo too? This imbecile should stick to video gaming.

SurplusShooter
02-21-14, 08:15
So the retard is loading ammo too?
How else could any civilian afford to shoot .338 Lapua Mag on a regular basis?
For a Bolt-action it's not that hard to handload, not rocket-science.

Although, I guess, he won't be shooting any more .338 for a while.....

mark5pt56
02-21-14, 09:40
For a Bolt-action it's not that hard to handload, not rocket-science.

Although, I guess, he won't be shooting any more .338 for a while.....

You would be surprised as to the number of civilians that have plenty of money to spend on the shooting sports.

This isn't the first time someone has done this. I hope the owner is ok and maybe a serious lesson to folks to pay attention and why would you be cleaning the dang thing from the muzzle to begin with. I can see a Garand, lever gun, etc. and surprised the range would allow you "be in front" of the muzzle anyhow.

mark5pt56
02-21-14, 09:44

And I bet he chambered the exact same recipe after driving out the last problem child. I've seen people actually using a mallet(steel) to pound open a bolt, pointed out to match director who had him stop and not shoot those loads anymore.

Vintovka
02-21-14, 11:32

Prvi Partisan is available for less than $2 per round. Cheaper than some of the hunting calibers out there.

Leaveammoforme
02-21-14, 14:30
Prvi Partisan is available for less than $2 per round. Cheaper than some of the hunting calibers out there.

I tried a box of 20 prvi- two duds in one box. The shoulders were formed wrong causing light primer strikes ( read excessive head space, scary!) Hornady brass with modest loads will stick in savage 338's which are rumored to have chambers on the tight side. Blackhills is perfect but its $6.25 a pop. My reloads cost me just under two bucks which is the only way I can actually afford to shoot it.

diving dave
02-21-14, 15:17
Another example of never, ever, loose attention of what your doing. I reload for 50bmg, and using some Israeli TZZ head stamp brass I had a case neck split after I fired the round.. These had more than a few reloads on them, so I dumped it all and started with new brass. That guy is lucky he's not blind or worse.

wilson1911
02-21-14, 18:13
Any time you are "working" on your gun, always remove the bolt. Take your time, its not going anywhere. Where were the range officers ? None that I know of will let you In front of your gun. I cannot imagine how many grains he is using to jam up a case.

Currently I am shooting 95.9 grains of retumbo, which is a bit sticky on that node. I am working up a new one around 93 gr. One thing to remember on a 338 is bullet size will determine how much is out of the case. I run only 300's, but the smaller one's are very noticeable(short) in oal. I also have cip mags. More speed does not mean better accuracy on these guns. If your going to a higher node and shooting over 1500 yds, then it may be worth it. If you want a flatter gun, buy an edge.

Any gun that has 5000 lbs of energy at 100 yards would be beyond scary to have blow up in your face. Maybe he should go buy a lottery ticket.

Lapua brass only here, everything else is substandard.

Symmetry
02-21-14, 18:13
He sure is lucky it wasnt a bullpup......

Coal Dragger
02-21-14, 19:00
So the retard is loading ammo too? This imbecile should stick to video gaming.

Anyone lacking the common sense to stop shooting ammo after it gives sticky extraction is cruising for some type of problem, and this poor bastard certainly found it albeit due to his improvised extractor...

SteveS
02-21-14, 20:07
As a reloader I know you are supposed to reduce the powder charge when leaving the cleaning rod in the barrel.

SteveS
02-21-14, 20:09
Energy is bullet weight times velocity and is somewhat of a meaningless term. The chamber pressure is what does the damage.

lunchbox
02-21-14, 21:27
Energy/mass/velocity--calculator http://www.1728.org/energy.htm

HKGuns
02-21-14, 21:55

"Barrel Break in" would be my guess. This thread is the poster child for why you shoot your rifle to break it in and not follow some stupid break in process that involves cleaning at the range.

Eurodriver
02-22-14, 16:49
I've never said this on M4C before, but...

"FPNI"

SilverBullet432
02-22-14, 23:03

First of all: :eek:!!! second, there was a guy at our range who would wipe his bore after each shot ( plain ar, 55 gr ammo. :secret: )

T2C
02-22-14, 23:06
Darwin Award candidate.

Suwannee Tim
02-28-14, 19:42
As a reloader I know you are supposed to reduce the powder charge when leaving the cleaning rod in the barrel.

I'ma gonna make a note of that. Reminds me of the guy I saw blow up a bolt action rifle. He had been using a muzzle mounted laser to sight in and denied leaving it in but did not produce the laser to prove himself. I found a couple of pieces of the laser down range. His barrel burst from the muzzle back leaving it looking like a shredded tulip. I refer to this sort of chap as "eat up with the dumbass."

hs338lapua
03-13-14, 13:42
"Barrel Break in" would be my guess. This thread is the poster child for why you shoot your rifle to break it in and not follow some stupid break in process that involves cleaning at the range.

On Snipershide this was posted. Some members were at the range that day and said he was having casings get stuck in the chamber and was pounding them out with the cleaning rod and a hammer. They said he forgot the cleaning rod in the barrel and this happened. After it was all said and done and he had his injuries taken care of. The same guy whipped out another gun and was having the same issue with hot loads. He whipped out another cleaning rod and was doing the exact same thing. He didn't learn his lesson.

markm
03-13-14, 14:51
This imbecile shouldn't be allowed to play with airsoft guns.

munch520
03-21-14, 09:57
Darwin Award candidate.

No doubt

ace4059
04-04-14, 01:31
On Snipershide this was posted. Some members were at the range that day and said he was having casings get stuck in the chamber and was pounding them out with the cleaning rod and a hammer. They said he forgot the cleaning rod in the barrel and this happened. After it was all said and done and he had his injuries taken care of. The same guy whipped out another gun and was having the same issue with hot loads. He whipped out another cleaning rod and was doing the exact same thing. He didn't learn his lesson.

If you have to force your case into the chamber then they aren't resized properly. But if your cases are getting stuck in the chamber then your loads are way too hot. Stop shooting them! Good way to pierce primers and have bolt erosion, or worse.
Guess that retard doesn't know how to reload either. All I can say is since he didn't learn, then let him beat the cases out, just I don't want to be anywhere around him.

c3006
04-20-14, 20:04
I've seen experienced shooters make catastrophic mistakes,anyone that thinks they can't be distracted and screw up has not lived long enough yet.

Ark1443
05-08-14, 13:21

I believe it. Some people are so stupid it hurts. At least no one else was injured due to his negligence.

WickedWillis
05-08-14, 13:47
Some people really should not be allowed to reload.

Ick
05-08-14, 13:54
You guys think that can be fixed?

I mean the gun... because we all know you can't fix stupid.

Ark1443
05-09-14, 12:48
You guys think that can be fixed?

I mean the gun... because we all know you can't fix stupid.

It could be a good paper weight now?

Safetyhit
05-09-14, 13:00
On Snipershide this was posted. Some members were at the range that day and said he was having casings get stuck in the chamber and was pounding them out with the cleaning rod and a hammer. They said he forgot the cleaning rod in the barrel and this happened.

This if true is so bad on many levels that it's pointless to articulate further.

QuietShootr
05-16-14, 07:49
I knew before I even looked at the picture that it was a Savage.

"Savage .338 Lapua - Enabling ****tards To Afford More Gun Than Brains Since 2009"

Some guy left a cleaning rod in his .338 and the results can be seen here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/19/338-lapua-magnum-kaboom/

WickedWillis
05-16-14, 10:49
I knew before I even looked at the picture that it was a Savage.

"Savage .338 Lapua - Enabling ****tards To Afford More Gun Than Brains Since 2009"

The model literally has nothing to do with the ****tard that left the cleaning rod down the barrel. It would have happened with a Rem, accuracy international, kimber, etc.

strambo
06-07-14, 12:00
I've seen experienced shooters make catastrophic mistakes,anyone that thinks they can't be distracted and screw up has not lived long enough yet.

Sure, anyone can have a momentary lapse in judgement...but that isn't the case here. He was loading so hot he had to pound out each case with a rod and mallet and kept doing that until his gun blew up. Then...he pulls out another gun and does it again!

I should think think any reasonable person would maybe chalk the first time (stuck case) up to a bad round. Then, on the 2nd stuck case stop shooting that ammo. No kaboom, problem solved.

TacticalIntervention
06-09-14, 10:50
Savage makes a very good rifle. Any rifle would go boom under same conditions

Just a reminder to always check bore for obstructions even at range