PDA

View Full Version : Question on SOPMOD Stock being too tight

CTI
02-20-14, 11:30
I just bought a Military contract SOPMOD stock, it looks like the older style, its sealed in a bag with a military label on it with nsn # and cage code and other stuff but putting it on my tube its super super tight. Once on I cant really even move it. I have a PSA tube which fits perfect on a Magpul CTR and STR and a LMT SOPMOD stock. Is there anything I can do to loosen it up

LightningFast
02-20-14, 11:31
Sounds like you got one of the bad batch ones. I believe they were a first run and came in a blue bag, but my memory may be off.

CTI
02-20-14, 11:34
Sounds like you got one of the bad batch ones. I believe they were a first run and came in a blue bag, but my memory may be off.

exactly right it came in a blue bag, can it be heated up or shaved in the inside some how? I remember a while back people were heating up their stocks when they were too loose but not sure if that would help the opposite way

kdcgrohl
02-20-14, 11:43
Wrap the appropriate sized dowel in sand paper?
Or seek a refund.

CTI
02-20-14, 11:45
Or seek a refund.

refund wont be possible but I like the dowel idea, thank you

Hwikek
02-20-14, 11:53
Whoever sold you that knowingly or unknowingly scammed you out of however much you payed to own that failure of a product. I'd get rid of it or ask B5 for mercy and a replacement.

CTI
02-20-14, 11:59
if it was someone else I would think I was scammed also but I don't think the guy who sold these had any idea about the issue with them as hes not a gun person he just came into these for a good price but regardless im still stuck with a stock that pretty much doesn't work, do you guys think the dowel and sandpaper will work, I imagine it will take some time to get it right

GotAmmo
02-20-14, 12:01
Maybe add some kind of lube/grease to it? When my MWS arrived the buffer tube was coated in some kind of grease. It does take small effort to move the sopmod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadblock
02-20-14, 12:09
I got bad feedback here in the EE over one of those piece of shit.

I posted offering to trade a Magpul CTR setup for a Gen 1 SOPMOD and someone offered me a brand new in the blue back B5. He said he had a few of them and said they fit nice and tight but that they worked good. I said OK deal and gave them my address.

Stock showed up and barely got it onto my buffer tube. I had to use a hammer and a dowel rod or something, I dont even remember now to get it off. I damaged my buffer tube. Grant from G&R told me I got a bad stock. I spoke with Mark Keller from B5 who confirmed it was trash. He said send it back.

So I pm'ed the guy and said I wasn't going to send my CTR. I told him I expected him to pay return shipping on the bad B5 so it spilled out into the forum and the jerk-off left me bad feedback and said I was trying to scam him and I never sent the CTR. Well no shit I never sent the CTR, he sent me a bad stock!

Anyway my point was those things suck and shoudn't even be used. Also B5 won't replace them, they were never suppose to be sold. TECHNICALLY they were not defective. B5 produced them using the specs provided by the military and the specs sheet was wrong if I remember correctly. The stocks were suppose to be destroyed.

jaxman7
02-20-14, 12:17
Or seek a refund.

I've done the dowel/ sandpaper on one 'blue bag SOPMOD' and it did the trick.

-Jax

CTI
02-20-14, 12:19

I posted offering to trade a Magpul CTR setup for a Gen 1 SOPMOD and someone offered me a brand new in the blue back B5. He said he had a few of them and said they fit nice and tight but that they worked good. I said OK deal and gave them my address.

Stock showed up and barely got it onto my buffer tube. I had to use a hammer and a dowel rod or something, I dont even remember now to get it off. I damaged my buffer tube. Grant from G&R told me I got a bad stock. I spoke with Mark Keller from B5 who confirmed it was trash. He said send it back.

So I pm'ed the guy and said I wasn't going to send my CTR. I told him I expected him to pay return shipping on the bad B5 so it spilled out into the forum and the jerk-off left me bad feedback and said I was trying to scam him and I never sent the CTR. Well no shit I never sent the CTR, he sent me a bad stock!

Anyway my point was those things suck and shoudn't even be used. Also B5 won't replace them, they were never suppose to be sold. TECHNICALLY they were not defective. B5 produced them using the specs provided by the military and the specs sheet was wrong if I remember correctly. The stocks were suppose to be destroyed.

What a jerk, that's just wrong on his part.
thanks for that info that helps comfirm exactly what issues Im having, it was a pain in the butt to get it off, I didn't think I was gonna get it off for a little while there I thought I was gonna have to just buy another receiver exstension. And that makes sense that b5 wont accept them back since they are technically a military product. oh well hopefully I can get it to work and if not Im not out too much money.

CTI
02-20-14, 12:21
I've done the dowel/ sandpaper on one 'blue bag SOPMOD' and it did the trick.

-Jax

can you tell me how long it took and how you went about it, did you use a rough sandpaper like 80 or 60 grit and finish with a more fine like 150grit? that's what I was thinking of using. Im more concerned with how long it took ya

TurretGunner
02-20-14, 12:24

The wonderfull world of gov speced vs performance contracts.

Once upon a time, contractors were only used for stuff the gov couldnt make or source easily. Back then there were gov machine shops and fabrication outfits that provided internal support. So when the gov wanted something, it would send design specs out for bid.

"we want a 12.345" x 23.44232" with blah blah blah radiused off made out of xxx material."

When the part showed up (made exactly to spec) and didnt work beacuse of the fault of the gov worker, or a much easier/cheaper product that the contractor could have made was never even contiplated beacuse they do the job to spec, the gov was out the money and still had a requirement.

As time went on, the smart govies realized that if they needed something done, to use to collective power of capitalism to achieve their goals. So if they needed a part that would do X,Y,Z.... they would put out a RFP that said we are tryoing to do X,Y and Z, within these parameters.....so tell us how you would do it, why and how much it will cost.

So now you got the power of capitalism working to create a product that can not only do what you origionaly intended, but maybe even more efficent, cheaper, lighter, ect. It wasn't some close minded govie, but a whole bunch of hungry engineers in industry working to solve this problem which = Money.

And like anything the gov touches, turns to shit...........people still do the same dumb shit, expecting different results.

Moral: Had the Gov entity sent B5 a sample of the Tubes that were to be used and said "we need a stock that does this, that and the other, and works with this tube", the gov would have saved a whole shit load of money and you wouldnt be dealing with these contract defects that some retard/scammer bought at a DRMO auction to flip on the secondary market.

The idiot who wasted the money got promoted and B5 got to sell twice as many units (or however many made it to acceptance) for a nice little chunk of change. B5 should have send rtard govie on a all expense vacation to Fuji.

steyrman13
02-20-14, 12:44
I just fixed one of those models with a flat file, but would be much easier with the dowel and sandpaper. I also put oil on the receiver ext to find where it would transfer oil inside the tube and found the tightest portions to be the straight walls sides on the adjustment section and the walls off the circle near the battery tubes

CTI
02-20-14, 12:48
I just fixed one of those models with a flat file, but would be much easier with the dowel and sandpaper. I also put oil on the receiver ext to find where it would transfer oil inside the tube and found the tightest portions to be the straight walls sides on the adjustment section and the walls off the circle near the battery tubes

The oil is a great idea and should save me from sanding where it's not needed and concentrate on where it's most needed, thanks a ton for that idea, you guys are the best with this stuff!!!

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

jaxman7
02-20-14, 12:52
can you tell me how long it took and how you went about it, did you use a rough sandpaper like 80 or 60 grit and finish with a more fine like 150grit? that's what I was thinking of using. Im more concerned with how long it took ya

CTI,

Its probably going on 2 years since I did it so my memory is a little foggy. If I am not mistaken I used 180 grit and it took probably +/- 15 minuted total time of sanding/checking fit before I got it loose enough.

-Jax

steyrman13
02-20-14, 12:57
Also leave the battery compartments covers in bc they will need to be sanded to match the tube size. If you want them to be interchangeable, you will then need to swap side and sand the covers again so both sides are sized correctly.

CTI
02-20-14, 13:12
Also leave the battery compartments covers in bc they will need to be sanded to match the tube size. If you want them to be interchangeable, you will then need to swap side and sand the covers again so both sides are sized correctly.

thanks for the heads up, again you guys are the best!!! Ive gotten at least 4 good tips to help me do this correctly and faster because of you guys, I cant tell ya how much its appreciated!!!

CTI
02-20-14, 13:13
CTI,

Its probably going on 2 years since I did it so my memory is a little foggy. If I am not mistaken I used 180 grit and it took probably +/- 15 minuted total time of sanding/checking fit before I got it loose enough.

-Jax

that's not bad at all I figured it would take a lot longer so that's good to hear, thanks again I appreciate all the help!!!

BillyJack2012
02-20-14, 13:53
What a jerk at arfcom, that's just wrong on his part.
thanks for that info that helps comfirm exactly what issues Im having, it was a pain in the butt to get it off, I didn't think I was gonna get it off for a little while there I thought I was gonna have to just buy another receiver exstension. And that makes sense that b5 wont accept them back since they are technically a military product. oh well hopefully I can get it to work and if not Im not out too much money.

Where does it say arfcom?

hatidua
02-20-14, 15:29
Been there, did that: 1" dowel in lathe, wrapped in sandpaper (if doing this by hand, expect to be there all afternoon). Try the stock occasionally as you don't want to take off too much. It'll probably take the better part of 10-15 minutes once you get everything all set up.

CTI
02-20-14, 15:35
Where does it say arfcom?

my bad I thought it said that but it doesnt

Been there, did that: 1" dowel in lathe, wrapped in sandpaper (if doing this by hand, expect to be there all afternoon). Try the stock occasionally as you don't want to take off too much. It'll probably take the better part of 10-15 minutes once you get everything all set up.

THANK YOU!!!!

Hwikek
02-21-14, 10:48
Hope everything is right with your gear now OP, it's too bad you had to go through something like this.

ra2bach
02-21-14, 11:34
I just bought a Military contract SOPMOD stock, it looks like the older style, its sealed in a bag with a military label on it with nsn # and cage code and other stuff but putting it on my tube its super super tight. Once on I cant really even move it. I have a PSA tube which fits perfect on a Magpul CTR and STR and a LMT SOPMOD stock. Is there anything I can do to loosen it up

I would love to find one of these elusive super tight adjustable stock and trade one of mine with you in a New York minute. Unfortunately, it's probably just going to loosen up over time like all my last ones did so I don't guess I will...

seriously, hang in there, if nothing else works try a little spray silicone lubricant (I got some at an auto parts store for the lining in a Safariland holster) but be careful, once that stuff gets on something, it will find it's way onto your hands and it's hard to clean off...

CTI
02-21-14, 11:38
I really appreciate that Hwikek!!! Im actually getting ready now to go sand it but I think it will go smoothly as Im pretty good with this kinda stuff and take my time to do these things correctly (I have a painting business for 15yrs now so sanding is a daily job for me) and from what everyone who had to do it this way you guys all seem to have no issues after. Now watch Ill be posting back that its all messed up and I cant get it to fit right! Ha!

CTI
02-21-14, 11:40
I would love to find one of these elusive super tight adjustable stock and trade one of mine with you in a New York minute. Unfortunately, it's probably just going to loosen up over time like all my last ones did so I don't guess I will...

seriously, hang in there, if nothing else works try a little spray silicone lubricant (I got some at an auto parts store for the lining in a Safariland holster) but be careful, once that stuff gets on something, it will find it's way onto your hands and it's hard to clean off...

I might be able to get you one if you really want one,

steyrman13
02-21-14, 12:41

I promise you unless you got it hot in an oven the 10 i have messed with will NOT loosen up. It will, however, be a fixed stock at about halfway point if thats what you want. I forced one on and actually took two people to get it off with quite a bit of effort.

markm
02-21-14, 13:32
I promise you unless you got it hot in an oven the 10 i have messed with will NOT loosen up. It will, however, be a fixed stock at about halfway point if thats what you want. I forced one on and actually took two people to get it off with quite a bit of effort.

Ha ha! I have one of those. I got it free, so I can't complain. Took two guys to get it off the first RE. I put it on a gun as a fixed stock. MOFO is solid as hell. :cool:

CTI
02-21-14, 14:55
Ha ha! I have one of those. I got it free, so I can't complain. Took two guys to get it off the first RE. I put it on a gun as a fixed stock. MOFO is solid as hell. :cool:

" MOFO is solid as hell"
at least theres one positive with the stock! ha!!!, it certainly doesn't need any Magpul friction lock on these puppies

GTF425
02-21-14, 15:10
My issued SOPMOD is one of the out of spec ones. It's basically a fixed stock, which I really like. I never take it off or have any intention of changing it unless Uncle Sugar decides to issue me a different stock.

All of ours at work are out of spec. You just need to use your man hands to get it on the receiver extension. Making adjustments isn't impossible, it just (once again) requires man hands.

Don't do anything stupid like sell it. Either mount it as is or, if you can't, sand it like jaxman says.

GTF425
02-21-14, 15:13
I would love to find one of these elusive super tight adjustable stock and trade one of mine with you in a New York minute. Unfortunately, it's probably just going to loosen up over time like all my last ones did

Since 2009, my only exposure to the SOPMOD have been these "bad" ones. In 5 years, I've never seen one loosen up.

Food for thought, bro.

CTI
02-21-14, 15:17
My issued SOPMOD is one of the out of spec ones. It's basically a fixed stock, which I really like. I never take it off or have any intention of changing it unless Uncle Sugar decides to issue me a different stock.

All of ours at work are out of spec. You just need to use your man hands to get it on the receiver extension. Making adjustments isn't impossible, it just (once again) requires man hands.

Don't do anything stupid like sell it. Either mount it as is or, if you can't, sand it like jaxman says.

what you said has been my experience with it so far also and I am definitely keeping it. It wasn't that hard to get on but it was difficult to move it but with some force it did move forward its just harder to move it backwards. For me its not acceptable so I started sanding it and I can already see some progress, sanding is going to fix it just fine, thanks buddy!

GTF425
02-21-14, 15:19
Good deal. That's the beauty of plastic: you can basically do anything you want to it.

Wolfpack45
02-25-14, 09:53
Personally, I would prefer all my stocks this way to where I have to fit them. Would give me the perfect fit for each rifle. The "bad batch" to me was the perfect batch.

markm
02-25-14, 11:12
" MOFO is solid as hell"
at least theres one positive with the stock! ha!!!, it certainly doesn't need any Magpul friction lock on these puppies

Yep. I don't mind a solid fit. If it were my main go to gun, I might sand it a little to where it was moveable by one guy.

JChops
02-25-14, 14:41
B5 produced them using the specs provided by the military and the specs sheet was wrong if I remember correctly. The stocks were suppose to be destroyed.

One would think common manufacturing sense would encourage you to make a prototype and try it on four or five different mil-spec tubes before mass producing a few thousand of them blindly.

Dogman83
02-25-14, 15:29
I have one of the above mentioned stocks. As stated, it is a bear to use. One on it is solid which I like. However, I am running into a different set of problems.

1. To install the stock I am having to remove the pin from the adjustment screw so that I can tighten the adjustment latch. This is necessary because without doing so, the pin will not move enough to clear the buffer tube.

2. Now that I have the stock on I need to put the adjustment screw back in place. To get the pin back in, the adjustment nut has to be loosened so much that the handle just flops around.

Help

Rayrevolver
02-25-14, 21:19
Not all RE are made equal either. I have 4 Vltor A5 REs and with a new minimalist stock - on one it was practically impossible to move, one it is perfect, and the other 2 it was very tight. It is tight on the M&P15-22 plastic RE. So there is variation even on a Vltor tube.

I had a LMT Gen 2 SOPMOD that was tight but movable on the same A5 RE that the minimalist is almost impossible to move.