PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Shield “Is Being Thin Enough ???”

myates
02-22-14, 09:14
Just picked up a S&W M&P Shield I will be putting it thru its paces.

Let me know your opinion if you have one or want to get one.

http://allthingstactical.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/img_00961.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Mike

PlatoCATM
02-22-14, 09:57
I wouldn't mind trying one, but I would much prefer a model without the safety. I actually just purchased a Walther PPS because of the safety.

SiGfever
02-22-14, 10:00
I handled one and it felt very good except I found it to be very slippery, I would have to add some Talon "black rubber" grips to it. JMHO

Hmac
02-22-14, 11:22
Don't want a pistol with a manual safety. I also have questions about the unexpected number of kabooms on the .40 Shield as mentioned on the S&W forums.

Trajan
02-22-14, 11:44
Not for me, but they're really nice guns.

The thinness becomes irrelevant once it's in a holster, as the holsters end up almost as bulky as those for double stacks, unless of course the VG2 for the Shield ever comes out. IMO of course.

I'm also kind of uncomfortable with it only holding nine rounds. Also not a fan of manual safeties as Hmac stated, but it can be removed so I don't view that as a hindrance to ownership.

.40 S&W blowing up guns is nothing new. I don't use that cartridge so I don't see that as an issue either.

If I lived in California or Florida I would use one with a Dark Star Gear clip on AIWB with board shorts and a white T. Or if I was a female and wore form fitting clothes.

slowlowmiata
02-22-14, 12:11
I love my shield. I carry it when I'm not in nj and it just disappears aiwb in a generic Blackhawk holster. It's a 9mm with about 250 rounds thru it with one fte in the first 50 rounds that I believe was from a limp wrist. I don't use the safety on it and it's so low profile I don't think it will ever click on.

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Ryno12
02-22-14, 12:19
I'm pretty pleased with my .40 S&W Shield. There isn't another pistol I'd rather carry for CCW.

Sent via Tapatalk

black22rifle
02-22-14, 13:41
i have been thinking about getting one in 9mm. you can also removed the thumb safety with no ill effects. I read somewhere, maybe here, that S&W is coming out with LEO shields that will have no safety and a block where the safety was.

Derek33
02-22-14, 13:52
The thumb safety detent is very aggressive. This means it takes a very deliberate motion to actuate the safety. I keep mine off and it stays there. It will not accidentally switch on.

I only keep mine off because it's a very small low pro safety lever. I would actually prefer a larger actuator. Like a 1911's safety.

I prefer safeties on my firearms. Have one on my m&p and 1911. It becomes second nature and doesn't effect my speed.

I love my shield. Carry it everyday at about 1:30. Threw in an apex sear, night sights, and stippled it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Enccowboy
02-22-14, 15:27
I have had my shield since they first came out. (700 + rounds ) have not had any issue at all. I carry it everyday,very comfortable in a crossbreed mini tuck. Have noticed that the mag release is steel and has started to rust. Just pulled it out and hit with some CLP and got it cleaned up. Just another step in the weekly maintenance.

troutozark
02-22-14, 16:28
Carry my Shield 9 appendix style in Crossbreed, safety always off. 200 rounds and nary a glitch, very accurate.

Brrrrr

brown3345
02-22-14, 17:41
I will be getting one as soon as I save up enough cash. Come on tax refund!

Lincoln7
02-22-14, 17:43
I felt mine needed a few mods to be what I wanted it to be. I removed the manual safety lever and associated parts, Stippled the front and back straps, undercut the trigger guard, and performed a trigger job. I'm liking it a lot now. I am currently at 350 issue free rounds. Trigger is ~4.75 lbs

JHC
02-22-14, 17:57
I don't think I've been w/o a G26 or G19 on me for a few years. I don't need anything thinner or with fewer bullets. But I'm happy for those who needed it and it works.

Pappabear
02-22-14, 18:02
I have the 9mm shield. Owned it for several weeks before I even knew a safety was on it. I leave it off. This gun is very easy to shoot well, and the thin factor is huge to me.

LightningFast
02-22-14, 18:18
I bought one, got all excited about it, and now... never carry it.

The thinness is nice, but it's just not big enough of a difference for me to choose it over my full size m&p. However, I'll keep it around for circumstances that require form-fitting clothes.

Trvlngnrs
02-22-14, 20:38
Much more comfortable in a Smartcarry than my G26.

RIDE
02-22-14, 20:54
I don't think I've been w/o a G26 or G19 on me for a few years. I don't need anything thinner or with fewer bullets. But I'm happy for those who needed it and it works.

This..

+ manual safeties scare me. ;)

OldState
02-22-14, 20:56
I seriously dont understand why people get so bent out of shape about safeties on pistols. Leave it off if you don't like it. The regular M&p line also makes it very easy take it out.. I think this whole no safety thing gets a little out of hand. When will running a rifle or shotgun with out a saftey become acceptable? When Glock makes a rifle?

As for the Shield, I personally don't think it saves you much over the 9c. Plus it's larger in the worst spot..the grip length

RIDE
02-22-14, 21:03
I guess I should re-phrase.... Safeties on CCW guns terrify me. ;)
It's just one more thing that could go wrong.
"Leave it off".... Chance clothing flips it on during draw would concern me.
Never have to even THINK about that with my glocks..
Nothing against the Sheild, it's a nice gun, just not something I would carry concealed.
To each their own.

MoCop
02-22-14, 21:09
I like the shield. For me the capacity is fine as I've really never felt the need for more rounds in my cc/backup pistol. I use the smaller mag in the gun when I am carrying with the larger mag holstered on my opposite side. The trigger and sights work well for me and as far as the safety is concerned, well I just don't use it. Personal preference.

ST911
02-22-14, 22:00
Speaking solely to the Shield's size/footprint...

The Shield excels in its ability to by gripped, controlled, and manipulated much more like a full size gun than a subcompact. It's size is sufficient to even place it in a small duty pistol category rather than solely that of a CCW or BUG. You might liken it to the Sig P239 in that way. For those who want less gun to conceal, certain dims offer some space savings. The value of those measures depends on the limitations, goals, and motivation of the owner. It's smaller, but may not be smaller enough to make a difference between it and larger cousins and competitors.

The long oval shape of the grip may be highly agreeable for some, and equally disagreeable for others.

For my uses the Shield is right-sized to be a highly effective BUG, or alternative primary for some narrow uses.

MegademiC
02-22-14, 23:34
Nothing against the Sheild, it's a nice gun, just not something I would carry concealed.
To each their own.

Once again, you can REMOVE the safety, fairly easily. If you don't want one, that's fine, but that is not a valid reason to not want it IMO since its easily nullified.

I put 200rds through mine in 45 minutes with a mix of wwb, tula, and gold dots. No problems and have since put another 200-300rds through it malfunction free.

I rarely carry it, as I conceal an fs just fine 90% of the time - however, when I wear form fitting clothes, this thing shines. Nice dress pants and a tucked in , slim fit oxford shirt and its still invisible.

VERY easy to handle - like a fs.

only upgrade I would really suggest is tritium sights.

My buddy carries his in gym shorts and runs with his - aiwb, he uses the safety to holster, then disengages. Neither of us have ever had it engage as its a very secure 'click'

Before I say this, ill say I'm a nobody, but I think the shield is currently the best ccw option for most people out there. Most people don't want to strap a duty pistol on, but you really don't have to. This holds - with small mag, the same round count as a 1911. I like more when possible, but I definitely feel comfortable with it as I know my capabilities with it.

that said, I would only suggest a 9mm version as 40 in such a small frame tends to buck quite a bit (but I havnt shot the 40 version of this gun).

Lastly - for the "rash" of kabooms, the one I saw was a +p 40 :rolleyes: Seems people want to shoot 10mm out of their shield 40s.

My buddy did have a rust problem with his mag release, but last I knew - he was sending it in to get the parts replaced so...

packinaglock
02-23-14, 07:12
I have one in 9mm and have never had the safety accidently come on.

Hmac
02-23-14, 07:37
I wanted to like the Shield but found there were other pistols I liked with similar form factor where I wouldn't have a manual safety I had to ignore or physically remove. My PPS has met or exceeded all of my CCW expectations.

Ark1443
02-23-14, 08:27
It is interesting, but since I am so heavily invested into glock, I would rather keep standardization. A G26 would do everything I need over the Shield, and it holds more rounds, while being the right size for me in comparison.

Quick Draw
02-23-14, 08:32
I wanted to like the Shield but found there were other pistols I liked with similar form factor where I wouldn't have a manual safety I had to ignore or physically remove. My PPS has met or exceeded all of my CCW expectations.

Would like to read comparisons of Shield to other options i.e. LC9, Kahr, etc. As far as revolvers I have a S&W 642.

I live in a hot, humid climate so my full size 1911s are hard to conceal April through October.

My only tiny handgun is a Kel Tec P32 which is a little weak compared to 9mm.

Hmac
02-23-14, 09:20
Would like to read comparisons of Shield to other options i.e. LC9, Kahr, etc.

I found that to be a fruitless pursuit. I think gun magazines are advertising-driven, and getting anything on the internet other than tightly-clutched opinions from emotionally-invested users is difficult.

I considered Kahr but had a friend with one that had feeding problems so I passed.

ST911
02-23-14, 10:25
Would like to read comparisons of Shield to other options i.e. LC9, Kahr, etc. As far as revolvers I have a S&W 642.

I found that to be a fruitless pursuit. I think gun magazines are advertising-driven, and getting anything on the internet other than tightly-clutched opinions from emotionally-invested users is difficult. I considered Kahr but had a friend with one that had feeding problems so I passed.

If you keep Hmac's caveat in mind, you can read my .02 on some Shield vs X comparisons in this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?135400-WHAT-S-SHIPPING-SW-M-amp-P-Shield-9mm-w-Running-Review-(UPDATED-01-15-14)

I shot the PM9 and MK9 on page 4 post #72.

that said, I would only suggest a 9mm version as 40 in such a small frame tends to buck quite a bit (but I havnt shot the 40 version of this gun).

I have shot the .40 Shield pretty deliberately and am seeing others do so. It's much more tolerable than I expected it to be with 180gr bullets at 950-1000fps and 165s in the same range. Not as soft shooting as its 9mm counterpart, but not unpleasant at all. Stay away from the high speed 165s.

Redbeardsong
02-23-14, 11:08
I have a Shield 9 that I carry when I'm not carrying my full size M&P 9. The Shield is considerably more pleasant to shoot that the LC9 I had, and is nearly identical in size. The Shield trigger is MUCH better than the LC9. The LC9 trigger is a long, double action with a false reset. The shield is a crisp striker-fired action with a crisp tactile reset, and is easier to shoot well.

RWH24
02-23-14, 11:25
Shield 9 & Sig 239/9

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/404374322.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/404185342.jpg

Shield and Kahr P380

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24202076/405449444.jpg

foxjordan22
02-23-14, 12:29
Love my shield it is my EDC and I shoot it as well as my full size guns. Have 1,320 rounds through it now with no jams or malfunctions. At least 6 other people have shot it as well. It has a mild stipple job, Hackathorn sights, and Apex Shield trigger kit. Carry in a Raven OWB or a Kingtuk IWB. Just put the Pearce extension on the flush magazine and I'm really liking the bottom lip on the extension. Curls under the pinky very nice. I have used the safety a couple times to throw it in my pocket for quick errands. I've never had the safety move unintentionally. It doesn't bother me a bit.

EricTheRed
02-23-14, 13:11
I have the Shield in 9mm. Personally I like it, and use it as my primary CCW gun. While at either of my 2 jobs, a G19 or my PPQ just print too much, although I do carry those sometimes as well, when I'm not working. I usually carry the Shield IWB 3:30 in a Silent Thunder or occasionally in a DeSantis pocket holster, 7rd'er in gun, 8rd mag in holder on weak side. Mine has about 800 flawless rounds, wears Hackathorns, and has an Apex DCAEK installed. While the factory trigger is pretty nice, and it's what sold me on the Shield vs LCP or LC9, the improvement with the Apex kit is noticeable, in a nice way. Really smooths it out. The safety is a non issue for me- I leave it off when carrying. My $.02, YMMV, and all that.

opngrnd
02-23-14, 14:39
I'd really like one once I have a second FS M&P9 set up with one of Grant's fitted barrels. It'd be just for when I can't conceal the FS M&P. But I'm kind of stuck between wanting to split my CCW tasks between a M&P FS(and a Shield for when that's too bulky) or a M&P9C for everything and just using my Full Size one at the range. First world problems, lol... I guess I'd have to own all three to really know.

MGWS
02-23-14, 14:51
I have the shield in 9mm and between it and my g19 I'm very happy. The shield upgrades were ameriglo pro i-dots (sharp edges can dig into you aiwb), apex dcaek, apex trigger, and talon gips. It has been my go to lately as it feels like it disappears during the day. The safety has never accidentally engaged and requires deliberate effort to manipulate imo, although I shoot the g19 better (due to more time behind it). With 500+ round with no malfunction so far with the shield I'm happy it. The talon grips really helped out the slipperiness and keeps the 8 round spacer in place on the magazines. The apex upgrades really smoothed everything out and the reset is great compared to stock. The only downside is that I carry 1+ extra mags with me and I didn't with the g19. Winter isn't a big deal for ccw but it will really shine during the summer and when I'm back and forth to S. Florida.

mdoan300
02-23-14, 15:10
I love my SHIELD, I carry it more than my HK USP compact. The safe is low-profile and stiff enough that I can leave it off w/o worrying about it snagging or engaging unintendedly. I just wished the trigger and quality was better, but it is on par w/ its price so I can't complain too much about that.

Does anybody w/ a SHIELD have a front sight (or rear sight) that is well off-center?

mdrums
02-23-14, 16:09
I've had my Shield 9mm for over a year. It works perfectly. I installed Ameriglo/Trijicon iDot night sights. Trigger is smooth and feels great, manual safety is no problem.

tmanker
02-23-14, 17:46
Dealer had them for $375. I bought two in 9mm. They are almost too thin for me. Great for appendix carry though. Still like my glocks better. Probably always will.

ritepath
02-23-14, 17:53
Took several years to find something thin enough to replace my LCP, then I waited a year for the bugs to get worked out. I tried some of those too thick to carry 10+ 9's&40's but always went back to the LCP as my primary. I was somewhat disappointed they couldn't have shaved a few more ounces from it's weight but IMHO it's got a perfect grip length for my hands.

The manual safety eh...doesn't really matter to me. Typically I filp it on when I throw it in the safe or hand it to my 9yo son to shoot. Then once I drop it in the pancake I flip it off. If a safety is scaring folks so much why aren't we shaving off those goofy little trigger stops, and removing the striker plungers on our CC firearms? Actually that leads to a question I've had for some time, has anyone tried leaving out the striker block and a little shaving work to disable the trigger "safety"???

This pistol has convinced me to give the M&P's another try. I'm probably going to pick up a couple more...full sized 45, and a CORE 9. I've been missing my 9c since I traded it for a dirtbike last year.

ST911
02-23-14, 17:53
Does anybody w/ a SHIELD have a front sight (or rear sight) that is well off-center?

My second Shield shot left out of the box, so mine is adjusted a visible amount.

gan1hck
02-23-14, 18:25
My second Shield shot left out of the box, so mine is adjusted a visible amount.

ditto

gan1hck
02-23-14, 18:26

I was looking for a PPS...couldn't find one where I live...and after a little research...wound up with the shield in 9 mm.....

I have to agree with the folks about the safety....I'm not even aware that it is there.

St.Michael
02-23-14, 19:01
To each their own.

I messed with my buddies shield when he picked it up. I didn't care for it. Feels a bit too small. I am not against carrying a full sized 1911 though so there is that. Just out of curiosity if the safeties on it bothers you does that mean you wont carry something like a 1911/m9? Just curious. I have been carrying my glock17/19 for the past couple years so I pretty much stick to those now. If I had the ability to purchase another 1911 though I wouldn't mind.

mjolnir28
02-23-14, 19:37
I own one. It is my 1st personally purchased firearm! So far I love it but I don't have many rounds through it yet but it will be my EDC once I have time to get my ccw. Love this site, glad I stumbled upon it a few years ago; my knowledge has increased significantly!

RIDE
02-23-14, 19:59
I messed with my buddies shield when he picked it up. I didn't care for it. Feels a bit too small. I am not against carrying a full sized 1911 though so there is that. Just out of curiosity if the safeties on it bothers you does that mean you wont carry something like a 1911/m9? Just curious. I have been carrying my glock17/19 for the past couple years so I pretty much stick to those now. If I had the ability to purchase another 1911 though I wouldn't mind.

Correct.. for ME... I wouldn't carry anything with a manual safety, 1911/m9/shield/etc included. They are great guns, just not for me personally. I simply carry a glock 19 or 26 depending on clothing, mostly the 26 these days. I just don't even want to think about a safety, or whether or not I flipped it off in the morning, or if this or if that. To each their own though...
I'm just glad people are carrying.

Dos Cylindros
02-23-14, 22:44
I had one for a brief time and intended for it to be my summer off duty....then I realized I could carry an M&P 9c just as easy. I sold the Shield and bought a 9c. For me, it's a far more capable gun than the shield all things considered.

J_B
02-23-14, 23:42
I am on my second Shield 9mm.

First one I liked but couldn't get over not carrying my G19 or G36 off duty.

A year later, wife hands me cash while we are at my favorite LGS so I bought a Shield 9mm.

This go around I have carried it more than my Glocks this year.

I carry AIWB in a Liion Defense xKlip. The holster is like a VG2 but with a solid loop and not the pull dots.

It works well and I really like it. Retention is awesome as well. I am considering ordering one for the G19.

tonyxcom
02-23-14, 23:57
My 26 and 19 carried almost the same for me. 330 IWB is most comfortable for me when sitting in front of a computer or driving.

I replaced the 26 with a Shield and couldn't be happier. I use the same model holster for the Shield as I did with the 26 so there is a noticeable difference in thickness.

BigLarge
02-24-14, 01:45
Do not own one. I rotate between a G27 or a Keltec P3AT depending on my attire. For me, the Shield did not seem to offer a distinct advantage in comfort or conceal ability over my G27. Not enough, atleast, to lose money and lose round count. Considering a Kahr CM9 to replace my P3AT.

RHINOWSO
02-24-14, 07:50
Dump the safety and it might be considered.

BTL BRN
02-24-14, 14:42
It is interesting, but since I am so heavily invested into glock, I would rather keep standardization. A G26 would do everything I need over the Shield, and it holds more rounds, while being the right size for me in comparison.

Ditto, too much into Glocks as well; and I didn't see the necessary benefit when compared to my 26. A buddy has a Shield (.40 cal) and the extractor has some fairly noticeable rust developing, he is a lefty and obviously has a holster that does not have any type of sweat guard.

Bearded_Brometheus
02-24-14, 18:54
I probably won't ever own one, simply because I have never been in a scenario where I needed something smaller than a Glock 19, whether for comfort or concealment.

For those who do find themselves needing something slimmer or more compact, I'm sure the Shield will serve their purposes well.