PDA

View Full Version : Eagle CAR-15 Discreet Case Just Arrived

Razorhunter
05-21-08, 16:35
So I ordered one of the new Ranger Green Eagle "DC-CAR-15-LE" cases from Triad Tactical and it arrived today.
My first impressions were that I wished Triad Tactical had NOT folded it up and put it in a square box that measured around 18x18x18, but oh well. I suppose over time it will work it's way back flat.
I will say that the quality of the stitching, and labor to assemble this case is excellent, and I can see that it is a step up from the stitching/labor on an ISHOT SERT case.
I also like this Ranger Green color MUCH better than ISHOTS "OD" green, which is ANYTHING buy "OD".
I have just two issues with this case, which kind of disappointed me.
Issue #1:
The case has some lame ass "buckle" attachment clips for the shoulder strap. I would not say they are crap, nor do I think they will fail, but Eagle could have put something much better on here, for a minimal rise in cost. With all the cool fasteners you see on other cordura/nylon gear these days, I would have just liked to see a little something more used here. As I said, I cannot in any way say these are cheap, crap, nor will they be failing me any time soon. I guess I'm just used to other fasteners/clips. SO, Eagle gets a pass here.
Now, on to Issue #2:
This is the kicker here, and my only real amount of disappointment came when I noticed this case does NOT have any ridgid panel inside, like my Vietnamese made ISHOT SERT case had. I would have loved to paid just a few bucks more, and had a ridgid (or are they "semi-rigid") panel inside the case, to hold them into shape, and just help stiffen the case overall.
I AT LEAST would have liked to see Eagle create us a zip-open compartment in this case, where I could make/add my own ridgid backer panel.
I just think that would have been a necessary item for anything Eagle. I suppose I just thought this case would have had one, since Charlie put one in my other case.
Oh well, maybe somehow I missed it, and there actually IS a hidden interior slot inside? I doubt it, but I can hope anyway.
Don't get me wrong here guys. This case is WELL made, and much nicer stitching and sewing overall, than the VC case.
I just wish I had that panel inside.
I suppose that when the gun is inside this case, that it might not be noticeable, and I no longer have my ISHOT case to directly compare, but I could have sworn that when I DID still have my ISHOT case, that I was really enjoying that interior "panel", even when the gun was installed. I just remember it added a really nice touch, and helped the entire function of the case, EVEN WHEN I WAS CARRYING around a Colt M4 inside of it.
One more thing I should mention, is that Eagle added a very nice touch inside the case, right next to the mag pouches, there is a little small slot, which appears to be a purposefully made "pen/writing utensil slot" on each side of the mag pouches, for a total of TWO of these slots.
These may/may not have been designed for this purpose, but they sure are nice. The more slots/pouches the better IMO.
Anyhow, I also would like to see these become available for AR10's (not sure, but maybe they are available in a longer length?), and I would definitely like to see Eagle start shipping more of these in MULTICAM as well.

Wichard20
05-22-08, 09:05
i am surprised that they packed it folded in half. I believe ishot is one of the only cases that suppliment with the plastic inserts. Eagle does have a soft-hard case with plastic inserts but my understanding is it does not open like a case, there is a zipper at one end and its more like a large pouch that you slide your firearm through. I have been shopping for a case and wish ishot was not so backordered.

Razorhunter
05-22-08, 12:30
Yes, and that case you mention is shown here, the "Soft-Hard Case".

http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=361&CatID=67&SubCatID=18

Too bad they didn't put a plastic panel in the CAR 15 case. I'd be overjoyed, and never even consider an ISHOT SERT case.
Oh well. That's usually how it works I guess.

UPDATE on review of this case. I have found the shoulder strap to be a little disappointing also. It's not disfunctional, and it will get the job done, but ISHOT's SERT has a couple different locations for mounting their shoulder strap, which I really liked. I also would have liked to see this Eagle case have a little better hardware/buckles on the shoulder strap. However, I must say that the overall fabric/sewing/stitching quality in this Eagle case is definitely a step up above the ISHOT's quality. It's just in the look and feel of the case, and when you put them both side by side, you will see for yourself.
IF Eagle would add a semi ridgid plastic liner in this case, and do a little upgrading to the buckles and shoulder strap, this would quite possibly be the ultimate case known to man.
Oh, and they need to start producing some Multicam and FDE cases too. Ranger Green is totally rockin, but Multicam just cannot be beat...

rob_s
05-22-08, 12:41
I have one of their cases I've been using for over 2 years without issue. The rifle stiffens the case more than enough.

Razorhunter
05-22-08, 12:46
Yeah, good to know rob. I was pretty sure that would be the case. I have yet to get a rifle in the case, but will soon.
I would like to see multiple hookup points for the shoulder sling, as well as swiveling hooks, but certainly not the biggest deal in the world.
Great case for the money, and FINALLY a case that is ACTUALLY OD Green, and not some funky other color being pawned off as "OD".
Eagle might call it "Ranger" green, but to me, THIS IS OD green, and looks MUCH better than ANY other green cordura I've seen.
Great job Eagle!

rob_s
05-22-08, 12:59
Mine is blue. :p

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_0823Small.jpg

Razorhunter
05-22-08, 13:22
Nice, ULTRA Discreet right there my friend!