PDA

View Full Version : SWAT Team having problems with HK416's

Tspeis
05-21-08, 17:30
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=67759&an=0&page=0#67759

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone here experienced similar issues? For what it's worth, the guns the team received are AH (2007) date coded.

Tspeis

C4IGrant
05-21-08, 17:47
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=67759&an=0&page=0#67759

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone here experienced similar issues? For what it's worth, the guns the team received are AH (2007) date coded.

Tspeis

I believe it to be a barrel extension/receiver issue for the most part. The HK mags don't help any and Frang. ammo is for sure a no go. So it could be a combination of problems working together to created those malfunctions.

C4

Tspeis
05-21-08, 17:53
I believe it to be a barrel extension/receiver issue for the most part. The HK mags don't help any and Frang. ammo is for sure a no go. So it could be a combination of problems working together to created those malfunctions.

C4

It does appear from the photos that the feed ramps are falling a bit short of where they need to be. Further down in the thread, the poster mentions several types of ball ammo they tried that would not work in the guns. I'm curious if anyone is running an AH (2007) or AI (2008) date coded HK416 with similar problems, or with no problems at all.

Tspeis

Tspeis
05-21-08, 19:36
Quick update on the issue.

Quote from the gentleman today:

Now a higher ranking H&K rep is en-route and will be here tomorrow or friday. I have to say that they are taking this seriously and appear to be very concerned.

LINK: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...=&fpart=1&vc=1

This appears to be a good sign so far. We'll see how things pan out. Hopefully the bad batch of guns was not too large and will not effect many other end users.

Tspeis

VA_Dinger
05-21-08, 19:52
:D

I think it's kind of funny that the 1st HK416 that malfunctions on the Internet creates this much of a stir.

I am not worried enough to care. I'm sure it is a rare issue that HK will get sorted out.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-21-08, 20:22
VA,

You can rest assured, long after the "me-too" piston AR companies have bit the dust, you will be reading about this batch of 416s --probably until the end of the internet. Every thread regarding the 416s will have a reference to it.

rob_s
05-21-08, 20:47
and frankly why shouldn't it?

The HK416 rivals only the Masada for numbers of people singing it's praises without ever so much as laying a pinky finger on one, let alone shot one.

no need for the vulgar talk-gotm4

Gunfighter.45
05-21-08, 20:48
Thank God they found the trouble now instead of in the field. No worries though I am sure HK will take care the problem ASAP.

rob_s
05-21-08, 20:51
Thank God they found the trouble now instead of in the field. No worries though I am sure HK will take care the problem ASAP.

If you read, and believe, the thread, ASAP would have been two weeks ago when they contacted HK and now they are getting the cold shoulder.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-21-08, 20:54
I have tinkered with 416s. At LEAST they can point to the 416s adoption by Delta, SEALS, etc. Not to mention various foriegn military units, elite and otherwise. The Massada, OTOH, was worshiped from the get-go based on little more than awesome looks. That said, my lame-ass will probably have both by the end of next year, God and Obama willing.:D :p

vulgar comments removed - gotm4

Razorhunter
05-21-08, 22:21
"Now a higher ranking H&K rep is en-route and will be here tomorrow or friday. I have to say that they are taking this seriously and appear to be very concerned"

-I wonder if this level of attention would be given to non-SWAT owners of problematic 416's...

khc3
05-21-08, 22:26
"Now a higher ranking H&K rep is en-route and will be here tomorrow or friday. I have to say that they are taking this seriously and appear to be very concerned"

-I wonder if this level of attention would be given to non-SWAT owners of problematic 416's...

Personal visits by factory personnel? I doubt it.

Does the disparity bother you?

Razorhunter
05-21-08, 23:22
Personal visits by factory personnel? I doubt it.

Does the disparity bother you?

Nope.

-Nice try though.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-21-08, 23:36
LOL. I am sure Colt sends factory personel out to deal with every yahoo who has a problem with his rifle!:D Dang HK and their disparate treatment!!

BTW, if you read the thread HK has actually sent one rep and is bringing a second guy in as we speak.

Tspeis
05-21-08, 23:48
People bitch that HK doesn't care about their customers unless they're a government agency ordering guns by the thousands. For a company of their size, 25 guns for a PD SWAT team is nothing, and they're sending out two guys to make it right. Bunch of assholes, huh? :rolleyes:

Tspeis

ToddG
05-22-08, 00:25
I don't know how HK works, but I doubt the "SWAT" aspect really plays a significant role other than most of the 416's in domestic LE use are probably with tac teams.

A decision to send reps probably has more to do with the nature of the problem (and a suspicion that it's either shooter/maintenance/ammo induced rather than something that needs to be handled by techs at the factory).

Federale
05-22-08, 05:40
People bitch that HK doesn't care about their customers unless they're a government agency ordering guns by the thousands. For a company of their size, 25 guns for a PD SWAT team is nothing, and they're sending out two guys to make it right. Bunch of assholes, huh? :rolleyes:

Tspeis

25 that they're testing, with the intent to buy 300 more....

Read the thread ;)

And IMHO, HK is probably going to try to get these issues resolved because (1) there are not all that many departments that have bought 416s at this point and (2) if they want to sell more of them, they'd better get the problems solved with these if they really want to sell any more of them.

You think word of these issues wouldn't get around???

And no, this doesn't translate into them taking care of their customers. They haven't even resolved the issue of the 10 of 25 rifles that don't work yet. Its a little early to be singing their praises (or hammering them too) for how the company has handled this.

C4IGrant
05-22-08, 08:51

If you were a Civy and owned this weapon, you would most likely get told to send it back as they didn't want you to own it. ;)

C4

Razorhunter
05-22-08, 13:30
If you were a Civy and owned this weapon, you would most likely get told to send it back as they didn't want you to own it. ;)

C4

Yes, and that was exactly my point.

Tspeis
05-23-08, 02:46
Update on the SWAT team with the problematic HK416's.

Posted today on 10-8:

Well, H&K is taking all 25 rifles back and sending us new ones; they were not able to diagnose the source of the malfunctions here. They understood our confidence issues with the rifles and decided to take all of them back even though most of them functioned perfectly. A new batch will be en-route as soon as the ATF issues are hashed out. It appears that the hiccup in customer service was caused by some personnel changes at H&K that coincided with our malfunction issue. Whatever the case they have pledged to make it right and ensure that we are satisfied with their rifles.

When the new ones arrive my team members will put them through their paces. It’s going to be a brutal trial for those new rifles to win back my team’s confidence. Hopefully they will survive the scrutiny. When the new ones arrive and get to the range I will post the results.

Tspeis