PDA

View Full Version : My First Sig Sauer

Steel
02-23-14, 11:27
I have been wanting another single stack 45acp since I lost my Springfield Armory Loaded Operator in a house about a year ago. I didn't want another 1911 so I started looking at other options and I found out Sig made a all stainless steel P220. I wanted the P220 Stainless Nitron but finding one was almost impossible. When I didn't have the money I could find them but for some reason when I had the money I couldn't find one to save my life. I got my tax return a couple days ago so I went searching.

I stop by a local gun store and to my surprise I find a all stainless steel P220 just without the Nitron finish. I decided then I would settle for that and I could have it ceracoated at a later date if I wanted a black finish that badly. The model number on the case is 220-45-SSS-G. The guy at the store said it has the short reset trigger. I looked at some videos on youtube and I think it does but I am not sure. The double action is around 10lbs I think cause my trigger pull gauge tops out at 8lbs. The single action is around 4-4.5lbs.

I did some research on serial numbers and I think mine was made around 2009 but it's brand new. I find that kind of funny that my P220 has been waiting on me for 5 years. I have noticed other stainless steel P220's like mine have P220 ST on the right side of the slide but mine doesn't have those markings. I wonder what that is about? It was love at first sight and obsession at first shot.

I have some Hogue G10 grips, Bedair stainless steel guide rod, Surefire X300 Ultra ordered for it. I would like opinions on holsters and sights. I am thinking about get 3 holster set-ups. All three must hold the pistol with light attached. I would like a IWB, OWB Paddle and should holster. I am also thinking about trying some big dot sights. I would value everybodies opinion on this. Thank you!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/580b219c-af55-4420-8d9f-2e5d58f7c48e_zps5dcf27f3.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/580b219c-af55-4420-8d9f-2e5d58f7c48e_zps5dcf27f3.jpg.html)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/f0b6c46d-b37c-4d7d-956f-e3b1065941c9_zpsf1bee1b8.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/f0b6c46d-b37c-4d7d-956f-e3b1065941c9_zpsf1bee1b8.jpg.html)

SiGfever
02-23-14, 14:38
Congratulations. I use to have a P220ST, it was a fine pistol and very accurate but also very heavy. I ended up trading it straight up for a Colt Combat Elite. Mine was marked P220ST.

weggy
02-23-14, 15:55
I owned a P220, the thing was very accurate and fed any kind of junk I asked it to, but I just don't like double action/single action triggers.

signal4l
02-23-14, 19:26
I owned one of the early P220 stainless pistols. It had an internal extractor that was known to lose tension. You have an external extractor on yours. Much better design

samuse
02-24-14, 10:19
If you're gonna run a light then I'd get a set of Ameriglo De Foor sights.

Plain black, serrated, very clean sight picture. I did ALL of my low/no light training with De Foors and an X300.

If you want to try Big Dots, just knock the rear sight out of the slide and paint the front sight white. Exact same thing as Big Dots and is free.

thecreeper23
02-24-14, 11:36
I had a P220R that was a delightful pistol to shoot. My particular firearm, however, would fail to fire on the first trigger pull about one time in 100. It went back to Sig as well as to a local Sig certified armorer. When the failure happened, it would always fire with a long DA pull. I liked everything about that pistol, but I just had a bad one that nobody could (or at least did) fix. I still have my P226 and like them. That P220ST of yours should serve you well.

og556
02-24-14, 22:19
Sig Sauer makes amazing pistols. My biggest regret was trading my last P226R for another gun which I ended up selling. I am seriously eyeing a new MK25-D.

That P220R ST looks like a dream to shoot.

Steel
02-24-14, 23:38
I love the extra weight of the stainless steel frame. Really helps keep the gun on target. I think I need all the other model Sigs that have stainless steel frames. :D

RIDE
02-24-14, 23:56
I have been wanting another single stack 45acp since I lost my Springfield Armory Loaded Operator in a house about a year ago......

Congrats! I have to ask... How did you lose a gun "in a house."???

Maybe you left out the word "fire"??? (If so, sorry to hear that).

Steel
02-25-14, 20:34
Yeah sorry I forgot the word fire. But technically I did lose it in the house. The fire was just the reason it was lost. LOL

okie john
02-25-14, 23:02
I have some Hogue G10 grips, Bedair stainless steel guide rod, Surefire X300 Ultra ordered for it. I would like opinions on holsters and sights. I am thinking about get 3 holster set-ups. All three must hold the pistol with light attached. I would like a IWB, OWB Paddle and should holster. I am also thinking about trying some big dot sights. I would value everybodies opinion on this. Thank you!

I had a 220 for a while maybe 20 years ago. It was remarkably accurate--a very nice piece.

I'd rethink your holster mix because carrying a pistol with a WML all the time can be a drag and because holsters built for carry with a WML won't retain the gun without the light. You can wear the RCS Phantom either IWB or OWB, so I'd get a pair if them, one with the light and one without. Order them with the hardware for IWB and OWB carry, which adds $15-20 to the entire order. I don't care for either shoulder holsters or paddle rigs, so I'd drop those options entirely and spend the money on a good belt, a hand-held light, spare mags, or ammo. For sights, get Trijicon HDs.

Okie John

Steel
02-26-14, 01:41
I had a 220 for a while maybe 20 years ago. It was remarkably accurate--a very nice piece.

I'd rethink your holster mix because carrying a pistol with a WML all the time can be a drag and because holsters built for carry with a WML won't retain the gun without the light. You can wear the RCS Phantom either IWB or OWB, so I'd get a pair if them, one with the light and one without. Order them with the hardware for IWB and OWB carry, which adds $15-20 to the entire order. I don't care for either shoulder holsters or paddle rigs, so I'd drop those options entirely and spend the money on a good belt, a hand-held light, spare mags, or ammo. For sights, get Trijicon HDs.

Okie John

I appreciate the advice but I like carry my pistol with a WML attached. I carried my 1911 and glock with a WML attached. Also I have found the exact IWB and OWB light bearing holsters I have been looking for. I do carry a small pocket light for utility purposes only. I don't believe in using a handheld light in conjunction with a pistol. If I don't have 2 hands firmly on my pistol then I am not in complete control of my pistol. I was thinking about getting the big dot sights cause of all the good things I have heard about them. If I don't change over too the big dot sights I might as well keep the stock Sig night sights.

SpankMonkey
02-26-14, 06:19
Good gun. Buy your extra springs now and have them on hand. Buy lots of mags, get the HD sights. Never trust a white light to not fail. Keep it clean and lubed. Enjoy your gun.

Battlepack
02-26-14, 17:14
I just picked up a P227 this week, also my first classic Sig. I'm a 1911 shooter and thought my safe deserved a Sig. I am having problems with my thumb riding the slide release lever, thus not getting slide lock at the end of magazines. I'm going to have to figure that one out with my grip.

Also, I've got a dumb Sig question. On my P227, the rear frame rails are visible for about 1/8" (i.e. the slide is not flush fitting at the rear of the frame and is slightly forward). How does yours look? I can't tell if mine should be like this by perusing online pictures only.

Steel
02-26-14, 19:10
I just picked up a P227 this week, also my first classic Sig. I'm a 1911 shooter and thought my safe deserved a Sig. I am having problems with my thumb riding the slide release lever, thus not getting slide lock at the end of magazines. I'm going to have to figure that one out with my grip.

Also, I've got a dumb Sig question. On my P227, the rear frame rails are visible for about 1/8" (i.e. the slide is not flush fitting at the rear of the frame and is slightly forward). How does yours look? I can't tell if mine should be like this by perusing online pictures only.

I have the same issue with my thumb riding the slide lock. I changed my thumb position slightly and didn't have any further issue with it. If you click on my pictures up above it should make them bigger and you can see the rear of my Sig.

Steel
02-26-14, 19:12
Upgraded the grips to the Hogue G10 Piranha . These grips are AWESOME!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/b8136b6c-0422-4ca6-aeab-5c4231ca4ac6_zps37de63d4.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/b8136b6c-0422-4ca6-aeab-5c4231ca4ac6_zps37de63d4.jpg.html)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/85175d35-a894-4163-9500-b747215646c7_zpsa95143a7.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/85175d35-a894-4163-9500-b747215646c7_zpsa95143a7.jpg.html)

pat701
02-28-14, 08:42
I bought one NIB in 2004 Sig P220ST it had a german made frame (reason i bought it). I paid $708 it can with N/S, 2 mags, and Houge grips as a package from Sig. A real shooter.

streck
02-28-14, 11:06

Change your grip slightly to put your support thumb outboard just a little. Practice this grip when drawing and dry firing. It will take little time to get used to it.