PDA

View Full Version : Vltor VIS vs. The LMT MRP

JG007
02-23-14, 14:57
I'm debating a monolithic upper for the next sbr project.

Any feedback on how these compare, and the benefits of a monolithic upper in general?

Does LMT only sell the upper with a barrel?

bruin
02-23-14, 15:39
Might be worth waiting for the Mega Megalithic if you're set on a mono upper.

snackgunner
02-23-14, 15:53
Might be worth waiting for the Mega Megalithic if you're set on a mono upper.

Details?

Biggy
02-23-14, 18:49
Details?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eXwmCv1e9o

steyrman13
02-23-14, 19:07
The MRP allow you to have a quick change RTZ option so you can go from SBR to precision SPR with only two bolts

snackgunner
02-23-14, 20:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eXwmCv1e9o

So how is this different than the MRP and what are the advantages/benefits of this setup?

RIDE
02-23-14, 20:26
LMT MRP is the cats meow!!!

You can buy just the chassis... though... you need an MRP barrel too ya know? ;)

I MIGHT be a little bias.

steyrman13
02-23-14, 20:42
So how is this different than the MRP and what are the advantages/benefits of this setup?

It doesn't offer quick change barrels like the MRP does. You can change from a 20" to 18" to 16" to 14.5" to 12.5 to 11.5 to 10.5 to 10.3...... Also change from 5.56 to 300blk to 6.8 ....... With them MRP with simple two bolts removal slide the barrel out and have return to zero functions

snackgunner
02-23-14, 20:48
It doesn't offer quick change barrels like the MRP does. You can change from a 20" to 18" to 16" to 14.5" to 12.5 to 11.5 to 10.5 to 10.3...... Also change from 5.56 to 300blk to 6.8 ....... With them MRP with simple two bolts removal slide the barrel out and have return to zero functions

So what exactly does the mega megalithic offer then? I don't see why it was brought up thread in this thread then and compared to the MRP

steyrman13
02-23-14, 21:09
So what exactly does the mega megalithic offer then? I don't see why it was brought up in this thread then and compared to the MRP

In comparison with the VIS upper the mega has something special on it...the integrated level, but no one has a system like the MRP right now.

snackgunner
02-23-14, 21:13
Gotcha, thanks.

RIDE
02-23-14, 21:14
So what exactly does the mega megalithic offer then? I don't see why it was brought up in this thread then and compared to the MRP

I didn't bring it up, but probably because you are comparing the VIS to the MRP.. the VIS doesn't have the same quick change ability as the MRP. (I know the VIS takes less time than a normal barrel would take, but nothing nearly as simple as the MRP)

snackgunner
02-23-14, 21:21
Yeah that's what I was pretty much thinking Ride.

A bit off topic and I hope the OP doesn't mind, but LMT doesn't make 11.5 MRP barrels do they? I've only read of lmt mrp barrels getting chopped down to 11.5. Or are there other companies who make custom 11.5 5.56 barrels for the mrp?

RIDE
02-23-14, 22:16
Yeah that's what I was pretty much thinking Ride.

A bit off topic and I hope the OP doesn't mind, but LMT doesn't make 11.5 MRP barrels do they? I've only read of lmt mrp barrels getting chopped down to 11.5. Or are there other companies who make custom 11.5 5.56 barrels for the mrp?

They make a 10.5" if you specifically need the extra inch, I believe a lot of folks pay ADCO to chop MRP (and any other) barrels down to a specific size.

In fact, I'm thinking about having them chop a 16" piston MRP barrel down to as short as is possible.

snackgunner
02-23-14, 23:10
They make a 10.5" if you specifically need the extra inch, I believe a lot of folks pay ADCO to chop MRP (and any other) barrels down to a specific size.

In fact, I'm thinking about having them chop a 16" piston MRP barrel down to as short as is possible.

Could you go another route and have ADCO customize a Daniel defense 11.5" barrel to fit a mrp upper?

JG007
02-24-14, 00:13
maybe its because I dont know that much....but

I dont get spending the money just for the 11.5 and its hypothetical benefit. If LMT (and DD, Noveske) dont have problems with their 10", why go to the hassle? If it was to do something like the noveske SS 12.5" then at least there would be real, not hypothetical, benefits.

scoutfsu99
02-24-14, 07:02
Could you go another route and have ADCO customize a Daniel defense 11.5" barrel to fit a mrp upper?

Marvin Pitts can do it. The guy is good at what he does. DBMG used to do barrel conversions but I've read that they stopped answering emails and taking on work. No one seems to be able to get through to them. Their website is still up though.

When cutting down factory MRP 5.56 barrels, you are limited to length depending on the barrel length. Something to remember...
16" has a midlength gas system
14.5/10.5 is a carbine length system

markm
02-24-14, 08:25
The LMT MRP is nice, but quick change barrel is just not real world practical in my opinion. It's not like the barrels will have the same zero, so at a minimum you have to change sights too.

I'd be interested if someone has realized a benefit from the MRP that beats simply swapping upper halves.

Oh yeah... and the VIS is nice. Pappabear has on with an 11.5 Noveske barrel. I think it's probably my favorite AR that I've ever fired.... Not entirely because of the VIS, but the VIS is cool.

steyrman13
02-24-14, 08:44
The LMT MRP is nice, but quick change barrel is just not real world practical in my opinion. It's not like the barrels will have the same zero, so at a minimum you have to change sights too.

I'd be interested if someone has realized a benefit from the MRP that beats simply swapping upper halves.

Oh yeah... and the VIS is nice. Pappabear has on with an 11.5 Noveske barrel. I think it's probably my favorite AR that I've ever fired.... Not entirely because of the VIS, but the VIS is cool.

I'm trying to find the thread from TRIDENT about his experience with optics/Barrels Swaps with minimal yet repeatable elevation clicks
here is one on page 2 https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94737-Modularity-How-many-of-you-REALLY-exploit-it/page2
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?103823-Help-with-my-LMT-Torque-Wrench

There is another thread where he goes into detail, but his experience if I remember correctly is mostly only elevation difference due to velocities.
I agree through, that swapping uppers is what I usually do, but I guess 1 1 $1600 upper and 2 extra $380 barrels would be a total of 2360 while three quality uppers ie. DD MK18, 14.5 in BCM, 16/18" SS Match upper could put you at 3k+ so I guess the more barrels the more gain in value is there

rundm
02-24-14, 09:49
I get all I want changing out barrels on my mrp. Once you have changed them a couple of times, you can normally figure out where the poi change will be and just adjust the scope for it. I haven't had any problems with mine. I go from 16 to 10.5 and back. Have not changed out calibers yet but would like to be able to add a 7.62x39 and a 9mm to the stable. On my other lmp, I change back and fourth from the 22lr to the 12in piston barrel. I might add, I don't normally shoot for precision but mainly just to be solidly on target with my shooting.

Pappabear
02-25-14, 01:00
I drink LMT koolaid, but I'm not big on the changing barrels thing. But it does work and is a cool feature if you like that. I have enjoyed shooting Colt-LMT-Vltor Monolithic uppers, they were all very good. But I still dig my 11.5 with RISII. All quality builds. LMT makes the 10.5 and 12.5. I would cut one down, seems like a waist of money and asking for trouble.

Buy the barrel you want, then build the gun around it.

snackgunner
02-25-14, 15:50
I drink LMT koolaid, but I'm not big on the changing barrels thing. But it does work and is a cool feature if you like that. I have enjoyed shooting Colt-LMT-Vltor Monolithic uppers, they were all very good. But I still dig my 11.5 with RISII. All quality builds. LMT makes the 10.5 and 12.5. I would cut one down, seems like a waist of money and asking for trouble.

Buy the barrel you want, then build the gun around it.

LMT only makes the 12.5 for piston setups. I really don't understand why LMT makes a 10.5 and a 14.5 but nothing inbetween for DI setups. This is why I'm on the fence when it comes to picking up a lmt mrp. It's too much work and risky to cut a 14.5 inch barrel down imo.

rushca01
02-25-14, 16:15
LMT only makes the 12.5 for piston setups. I really don't understand why LMT makes a 10.5 and a 14.5 but nothing inbetween for DI setups. This is why I'm on the fence when it comes to picking up a lmt mrp. It's too much work and risky to cut a 14.5 inch barrel down imo.

What's too risky? There are plenty of competent shops that can do the work and generally their thread and crown results are better then factory.

Javelin
02-25-14, 16:47
I own two Noveske rifles with VIS and they are heavy suckers. That's all I am going to say.

JG007
02-25-14, 20:05
I was trying to consider weight, even if I dont need it to follow the new lightest AR possible trend.

Two options Im looking at,

keymod 12" VIS is 22.4 oz (or the slimline which might weigh less)

http://www.vltor.com/product/vis-km-polylithic-upper-with-keymod/

MUR with 13" geissele is (10oz + 12.8 w/ nut) = approx 22.7 oz

Snipe315
02-26-14, 13:33
I've got a couple of LMT MRP Uppers and they are nice overall.

But, they require LMT specific barrels. You might be able to have a standard barrel modified to work with the MRP system but that takes time & $$$.

The Vltor VIS, Mega Arms, and the Aero Precision COP uppers can use standard barrels. So while they aren't as "quick change" capable as the LMT MRP, the ability to use any AR15 barrel makes up for that in part.

And it isn't very hard to change out a barrel on a Daniel Defense RIS II or similarly equipped upper either.

I like my MRPs but if starting over, I'd rather have the Mega Arms or the Vltor for their use of standard barrels.