PDA

View Full Version : Today's best AR Mags? (23FEB2014)

opngrnd
02-23-14, 16:09
Perhaps we should update the Knowledge Based Thread. I did some looking around and searching the General and Technical sections, including reading all 11 pages from the Knowledge Based Thread. That thread is almost two years old now and little of the newer info in it was any different than what was being said since shortly after the PMAG debut. Since that thread has ended the PMAG M2, PMAG M3, PMAG 40, Lancer AWM, and GI mags w/Tan follower have had enough time on the market to hopefully be evaluated and validated or crossed off the list from consideration, as the HK mags seem to have been. Beyond that, the 2013 shelf cleansing probably put new stock on the shelf for most people looking at what "mag to buy", and today they have options.

How do the newest magazines stack up against each other, and in what order? Personally, I'm mostly interested in whether I'll be buying a stack of PMAG M3 or Lancer L5 AWM magazines next, but I've used neither, and it would be nice to get more current info than the Knowledge Based Thread has to offer.

I've used the original PMAG, PMAG M2, and new GI mags w/Tan followers with no problems. I don't trust GI mags without Magpul followers and I also can't see myself running the PMAG 40 for anything but matches, though I'll probably buy one just because I think it's neat. Is all that's M3 gold? Could the L5 AWM be better? Is the CS spring/Magpul follower GI mag better then both? What say ye?

discreet
02-23-14, 17:02
Perhaps we should update the Knowledge Based Thread. I did some looking around and searching the General and Technical sections, including reading all 11 pages from the Knowledge Based Thread. That thread is almost two years old now and little of the newer info in it was any different than what was being said since shortly after the PMAG debut. Since that thread has ended the PMAG M2, PMAG M3, PMAG 40, Lancer AWM, and GI mags w/Tan follower have had enough time on the market to hopefully be evaluated and validated or crossed off the list from consideration, as the HK mags seem to have been. Beyond that, the 2013 shelf cleansing probably put new stock on the shelf for most people looking at what "mag to buy", and today they have options.

How do the newest magazines stack up against each other, and in what order? Personally, I'm mostly interested in whether I'll be buying a stack of PMAG M3 or Lancer L5 AWM magazines next, but I've used neither, and it would be nice to get more current info than the Knowledge Based Thread has to offer.

I've used the original PMAG, PMAG M2, and new GI mags w/Tan followers with no problems. I don't trust GI mags without Magpul followers and I also can't see myself running the PMAG 40 for anything but matches, though I'll probably buy one just because I think it's neat. Is all that's M3 gold? Could the L5 AWM be better? Is the CS spring/Magpul follower GI mag better then both? What say ye?

Much overthinking. If your thinking of storing them for decades etc, usgi mags all the way IMO. Outside of that, Troy mags, Pmags, whatev will do fine. Really unsure of what you are looking for here, as it all boils down to personal opinion. There is no BEST, but there is what is best for YOU. Prett much it. In the end it's the exact same ordeal as what is the best gun, what is the best stock, what is the best kit etc etc.

Mags are cheap enough again, just buy 5-10 of each and see what works best for you.

Iraqgunz
02-23-14, 17:06
We have had plenty of discussions in regards to magazines. Bottom line is to buy good ones and stack them deep.