PDA

View Full Version : Got a CORE and RMR. Question.

number1olddog
02-23-14, 19:45
Long story short I traded my M&P .40 about a year and a half ago. Recently got back into M&P's and picked up a new CORE in 9mm and bought a RMR (dual Illum. non battery model) which will be arriving Tuesday. I have read various reports on reliability issues in RMR's on handguns and it got me worried. I have been wanting a M&P or Glock with a RMR for a while and the time seemed right so I bit the bullet. Any users here with issues of your RMR on your handguns? Secondly regarding triggers, I am also going to be changing triggers and saw Apex has a new polymer trigger and was wondering if it is as rugged as the aluminum one I had in my .40? The trigger pull is not bad in the CORE just gritty as hell and was thinking a single unit Apex trigger would solve the grittiness problem.

86 slo-vo
02-23-14, 20:59
I've had both the aluminum apex trigger and the polymer, I'd suggest if your used to the aluminum get it. The polymer didnt feel nearly as good as the aluminum.

dc202
02-23-14, 21:16
I believe the USB from Apex will cure your gritty trigger issue.

MegademiC
02-23-14, 21:17
A trigger can ussually be smoothed without buying a new one. My stock trigger has improved significantly. Just something to ponder.

EvilBetty
02-24-14, 03:22
The grit is caused by the trigger bar rubbing on the rough sear block. You can either remove and radius / polish the factory sear block, or install the APEX Ultimate Sear Block (USB). Either method will remove the grit completely.

RWH24
02-24-14, 21:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQzPUVAXcqk

Koshinn
02-25-14, 00:33
Optics mounted to slides will break. Period. It's just a matter of rounds fired, to be honest.

At least with the core, you have back up irons!

number1olddog
02-26-14, 13:27
Optics mounted to slides will break. Period. It's just a matter of rounds fired, to be honest.

At least with the core, you have back up irons!

I'm not gonna disagree with that but if that's the case why are more and more people starting to put them on their handguns? I agree that a cheaper red dot will crap the bed sooner than say a RMR but RMR's should hold up to the abuse the best. Who knows mine might crap out or not but it sure is a hell of a lot nicer than just using my fixed sights like I have been doing since. I see why so many people are going to this set up. FWIW, I installed my RMR yesterday (Dual Illum.) model and I don't see why so many people knock them. I don't see the washout issue everybody is talking about. The green 9.0 MOA dot is nice and crisp in sunlight, dark rooms and against white backgrounds.

TAZ
02-26-14, 15:08
I think more and more people use them cause the offer an advantage over irons. For folks like me with fading eye sight, the RMR concept or any red dot is very appealing. Still haven't pulled the trigger on one though. The washout occurs when shooting from a dim area into a bright one. Shooting from shade to sun or dark room into a lit one. Maybe the combination of green and large ass dot negates some of that for ya. On an amber unit the dot becomes nearly invisible for me when shooting from under a cover onto a sunlit light colored target. In sure eyesight and color acuity pay a good role in that battle as well.

NCPatrolAR
02-28-14, 10:57
The dual illum RMR is likely the most rugged version for pistol use at this time. You do have to deal with the drawbacks of that version though

bikerdog
03-02-14, 02:26
Got two glocks with RMR’s now. One is a glock 17 with the rmr 07 the other is a glock 23 with the RMR 02. If you can get used to them they are a great system. Mind you I have been shooting for 20 plus years and know what I am doing. The RMR still greatly improved my accuracy. It took a lot of training to get used to it however.

For the dual illuminated sights. I found the only time I had wash out issues was when I was in a dark room looking out into a well lighted area or while in a dark room using a bright white light against a light backround.

All in all this is the future and as technology increases I think red dots on handguns will eventually become as common place as they are on rifles.

denn1911
03-02-14, 18:59
I have an RMR'd Gen 4 17 and an RMR'd M&P45, and they've both been great. In the beginning, I found the dot with a ton of dry fire presentations. Multiple training classes and frequent range sessions have proved their reliability and advantages. I either carry the RMR'd 17 or an non-RMR'd M&P45 daily.

El Cid
03-02-14, 19:24
I'm not gonna disagree with that but if that's the case why are more and more people starting to put them on their handguns? I agree that a cheaper red dot will crap the bed sooner than say a RMR but RMR's should hold up to the abuse the best. Who knows mine might crap out or not but it sure is a hell of a lot nicer than just using my fixed sights like I have been doing since. I see why so many people are going to this set up.

It would be impossible to know for sure, but lots of shooters buy gear because it's new/trendy. Some buy gear to make them better (some are able to take advantage and some would be better served with more practice).

Many I suspect will buy red dots for their pistol and fire a hundred rounds or so and call it a success. Like the people who buy a sub par AR and proclaim its awesomeness because it has never failed them. Yet they have only shot it a handful of times.

As much as I like the concept - I don't think there are red dots yet that can tolerate the abuse of riding the slide. Hopefully one day that will change. I think the count is up to 4 or 5 that have died now, but here's a link with some not so good results.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=794

MegademiC
03-02-14, 20:17
It would be impossible to know for sure, but lots of shooters buy gear because it's new/trendy. Some buy gear to make them better (some are able to take advantage and some would be better served with more practice).

Many I suspect will buy red dots for their pistol and fire a hundred rounds or so and call it a success. Like the people who buy a sub par AR and proclaim its awesomeness because it has never failed them. Yet they have only shot it a handful of times.

As much as I like the concept - I don't think there are red dots yet that can tolerate the abuse of riding the slide. Hopefully one day that will change. I think the count is up to 4 or 5 that have died now, but here's a link with some not so good results.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=794

I think rds tech will catch up in the next few years... how have the aimpoint micros faired? I know the data pool isn't as large - I've only seen a couple people with them, and only on glocks. Have they moved on to any other pistols yet?

EvilBetty
03-03-14, 00:36
Keep hoping to see that the Redfield Accelerator's are now fitting the C.O.R.E.