PDA

View Full Version : Parallax Tactical FFSR Review

DMViergever
02-23-14, 23:14
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww27/DMViergever/IMG_3305_zps4d626115.jpg
I have had my hands on a slew of keymod handguards lately and aside from diameter and some basic functions all have been fairly similar. A lot of people are jumping into the keymod scene full force but others are certain that it is a fad and will go away like many of the products that people who have been in the AR world have seen in the past. Either way it is obvious that a lot of companies are fully invested in the picatinny accessory market, there are also somewhere around a bazillion attachments right now that work with it. Like I said, I have hand my hands on a lot of KM stuff recently and have decided that I like the platform and that it is not exclusive to a certain brand like many of the handguards out there that use detachable rail segments. This opens the field a little and will HOPEFULLY make it a bit cheaper if it sticks around. If not then we will still end up with an essentially proprietary modular system.

One thing is certain though and that is that there will always be a lot of choices as to rail mounted accessories and unless the military were to drop it, it will probably be around forever. Another company that has a ton of available accessories for their products is Magpul. From light mounts to handstops and VFGs that don’t require rail attachments, Magpul has you covered.

This is where the FFSSR from Parallax Tactical really shines. The FFSSR not only has the standard rail attachments on the end of the handguard, it also accepts any of the accessories, including more rail segments, from Magpul.
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww27/DMViergever/IMG_3308_zpsc608f4c6.jpg
I have been eyeballing the Free Float Super Slim Rail (FFSSR) from Parallax Tactical for quite some time but in all the keymod hype it had kind of slipped into the back of my mind so when I contacted Parallax Tactical to see if they were willing to send out any products for review I was kind of expecting to end up with their newest keymod system. When I heard back from them and they wanted to send their FFSSR I was certainly willing to take a look and was definitely ready for a change of pave from all of the KM madness I have been in lately.

The FFSSR was a breeze to mount with its round style barrel nut that uses a 1 1/8” wrench for torqueing. I have seen several barrel nuts that use this size so I went out and bought a set of open end wrenches that snap right into my torque wrench so that I can get the appropriate 30-80 Ft-LBS. There is no timing required for your gas tube like a standard barrel nut but it does have to be timed for the holes that you use to mount the handguard onto the proprietary barrel nut. My setup only required the use of a single shim to get the proper alignment and torque. Once it is timed and torqued properly the handguard attaches via 2 screws each at the 3, 6, and 9 O’clock positions which is nice to keep the longer 15” version good and stable instead have having a little bit of wobble out on the muzzle end like other models I have had hands on.

you can see the rest of the review and more photos at http://almosttactical.com/parallax-tactical-ffssr-handguard-review/

mtdawg169
02-24-14, 17:43
How much does it weigh? The ones I've seen were absolute tanks.

VIP3R 237
02-24-14, 17:44
We are set up with parallax as dealers and we can't keep these hand guards in stock. They have been a great seller for us.

quaesitor logica
02-24-14, 18:44
I have a FFSR 11.5 inch handguard. It mounts up solid and is narrow where it should be. They are also reasonably priced. Works perfectly with a 12'' barrel.

grunz
02-24-14, 19:12
That rail would do great with some keymod in the middle instead of those rectangle slots!

punkey71
02-24-14, 19:18
How much does it weigh? The ones I've seen were absolute tanks.

From the link above...

"With everyone having the goal in mind of the extremely light handguards the FFSSR feels a little on the heavy side but on the scale the 15” model only weighs in at 1 lb 1.4 oz and the 13” is 16.03 oz."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

richdkim77
02-24-14, 22:34
Weapon Outfitters was offering blems for around $120. Great deal, nice rail for the price. They aren't the lightest, or say Geissele quality, but for the price, I like them.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/IMG_1527_zpsbf66a70c.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/IMG_1527_zpsbf66a70c.jpg.html)

Tzook
02-24-14, 22:48
It is a little on the heavy side, but it's really not bad as this thing is built like an absolute brick shithouse

DMViergever
02-25-14, 06:17
The weight was never much concern for me since the barrel I run is a VooDoo Ultra Lite that only weighs just over a pound. The black rifle was very wellbalanced as the billet lower with the A5 systemis just a bit heavier.

SLR makes the Solo that is similar but uses KM instead of being able to attach Magpul stuff. Parallax has a versiom of this that is the OD of the middle of this handguard all the way down. It uses KM at 3,6,9 and then Magpul slots at the 45's. To me the slots are cool, if I were going to KM this it would be in place of the rails on the end.

marZ1
02-25-14, 07:25
I have the PSA version which does not have the slots in the sides. It is a bit on the heavy side but feels no more cumbersome than the DDM4V5 with similar barrel profiles and mid-length gas system. That said it does make for a longer day than the DDM4V1LW or the same barrel with the MI SS 15" which is much lighter but does not have the same feel when wraping your thumb over the top. I will say there is no flex of any kind with this rail, it feels the hardiest of all my rifles.

All in all the QD placement, rock solid feel and profile of the center of the rail make up for the slight weight increase IMO.

DMViergever
02-25-14, 15:00
I agree with all that is said above. The weight increase is a few ounces over somEof the other handguards I have reviewed and this one is 15 inches long. For as long as it is it certainly is not heavy