PDA

View Full Version : What secuirty system do you use while away?

Djstorm100
02-24-14, 12:51
Being that this will be my first home come March. I want a Secuirty system (been looking at Simplisafe) and a Video secuirty system.

What do you use or if anyone does this as a profession could point me in the right direcions. I've been looking at Swann brand

Pork Chop
02-24-14, 13:10
Interested in this also. Lots of negative reports about simplisafe out there if you look. I was curious about them as well, but found plenty of bad reviews. Not that means anything, of course.

GH41
02-24-14, 14:41
Tell us what your home settings are. Rural, city ect. How close are your neighbors? How big is the house? Do you have large pets? Will you pay for monitoring? Do you have a budget? GH

telecustom
02-24-14, 14:43
Claymores and attack Tigers

Djstorm100
02-24-14, 14:45
Rural area. House is 1558sq feet. On .58 acres. I'm on a corner lot so I have neighbr behinde and beside me. I want to get video to over look the back yard if someone decide to climb over the privaticy fence, debaing on having the boards that make up the wall butt up against one another or space them out.

Have atleast one dog (pitbull)

I don't like contracts, but I will pay for monitoring. Budget wise less is always good, but I would like to spend 1,500 ish on a alarm/ camera system. Not fond of ADT or CPI (contracts)

SteyrAUG
02-24-14, 15:24
I have found that dogs (plural) who are willing to eat your ass are the best possible security system. Not foolproof, but short of claymores and attack tigers they are your best bet.

The truth about security systems is it really doesn't matter what company you go with, they all use the same local monitoring centers. I worked for one during the summer and they literally handled every company in the phone book.

Also police response on an audible alarm is generally 30 minutes at best and I've seen it take longer than an hour. It is one of the most common dispatches. During a storm when everyone's alarm goes off at once, expect several hours.

The exceptions of course are panic alarms and such but in that case you should be armed and bunkered down anyway.

lunchbox
02-24-14, 15:48
120lb dog is my security system, along with my wife with my arsenal of weapons (she is only familiar/comfortable with Glock, revolver, & AR but the others are there). Not the best security system in the world, but its what I got. Not sure which can be meaner, the angry wife or the angry dog. Break in my house you'll get both as well as some attention from the neighbors, who's firearm collection and dog aren't as big as mine but every little bit helps;).

Hmac
02-24-14, 16:04
Dogs here too. Three Golden Retrievers. Not exactly the ass-eating variety, but noisy and scary-looking, judging by the perpetual look on the UPS guy's face.

lunchbox
02-24-14, 16:28
Dogs here too. Three Golden Retrievers. Not exactly the ass-eating variety, but noisy and scary-looking, judging by the perpetual look on the UPS guy's face.:lol: I know what you mean, my dog has it out for the man in brown that brings all the packages. I can easily tell when the UPS truck turns the corner, a couple hundred yards away. Any noise and the dog is the first to investigate (esp. damn raccoons), I think he's afraid I won't let him chew on his prize.

GH41
02-24-14, 17:15
Rural area. House is 1558sq feet. On .58 acres. I'm on a corner lot so I have neighbr behinde and beside me. I want to get video to over look the back yard if someone decide to climb over the privaticy fence, debaing on having the boards that make up the wall butt up against one another or space them out.

Have atleast one dog (pitbull)

I don't like contracts, but I will pay for monitoring. Budget wise less is always good, but I would like to spend 1,500 ish on a alarm/ camera system. Not fond of ADT or CPI (contracts)

If I had neighbors that close I wouldn't pay for monitoring. If I had a dog that big I wouldn't do motion detectors either. I would install glass break detectors in all rooms with windows or glass doors and switches on the exterior doors. I would install a loud siren mounted behind a louver in the attic. Before I did the alarm I would put the safe in a location not easily found by a common crook. PM me for ideas. GH

platoonDaddy
02-24-14, 17:25
Live in the burbs with a security system (motion detectors & door opening alarms), the weakest point is the phone line. At the time of installation in the 90's, there wasn't a wireless option available. So when the bad guy cuts the telco wire, the phone call is never received by the alarm company. The in house alarm would sound, but my neighbors would just ignore, as they do when a car alarm is sounding.

As the great procrastinator I haven't called alarm company to check if they updated to wireless. If you are planning on an alarm system, ensure it is wireless.

BrigandTwoFour
02-24-14, 18:23
I went through the same research a bit over a year ago. I ended up with using an alarm.com affiliate here in town. The sticker shock is a bit more up front, but I own all the equipment they installed and can take it with me wherever I go. The system is full wireless with battery backups, and I can scale it in any way I want from door/window sensors, glass breaks, cameras, to motion activated pepper sprayers in the safe room. Also works with Z-wave stuff, so I can remotely turn on/off lights, thermostats, lock/unlock doors, or whatever else I want.

In any case, the alarm is just one layer of security. Don't rule out the rest: dog, good windows/doors, personal protection devices, etc.

kwelz
02-24-14, 18:57
We use Vivint. It is about the only monthly expense we won't cut out. Sometimes you can get lucky and get free install. We have Sensors on all the doors and windows, glass break sensors in the kitchen and living room, 2 cameras, electronic locks, remote control of our thermostat (Now that it is finally working again) and light controls. We didn't pay a penny for the equipment or installation.

RWH24
02-24-14, 20:55
We live in a fairly quiet small neighborhood on a dead end. Large pastures behind and to one side with roads 500 yards across the pastures. Walk in access is easy. We have a monitored system, wireless on windows, wired on doors and motion in main room. Had system installed while I was still LEO prior to retirement. Everybody knew, I had a marked take home vehicle sitting out front when off duty. Looking to put up cameras, someone finds it fun to use my driveway and yard to make a U-turn. My wife loves her yard and it breaks the sprinkler system too.
She would blast a vehicle with bird shot, and mark it for evidence if she got the chance.:big_boss:

Sorry, Local company for this area.

SkiDevil
02-24-14, 23:12
Live in Suburban area, typical housing tract

Alarm system with major alarm company
Door switches, motion detectors, window/ flex switches (sensor for broken glass), smoke/ C02 sensors
components/ equipment hard wired
Total cost $1800 with original install
Monitoring fee with insurance for equipment $400/ year

Pro-active P.D. with typical alarm response in under 5 minutes

If you decide to get the alarm, then I strongly recommend Smoke and C02 detectors incorporated into system. Also, I would get the insurance for the equipment because when it breaks it can be costly.

A good alarm technician will be able to provide insight on what equipment you need for your structure.

Lastly, the effectiveness of your alarm system depends on your monitoring company and the response of your local P.D. or Sheriff's Department.

P.S. I second the suggestion of a large dog, burglars are afraid of them.
And not advertising your stuff, especially firearms or valuables.

I.E., I load my guns into the truck or car inside the garage, away from prying eyes. Neighbors don't know that I have guns or have any idea what I own or do for a living. None of their business

Honu
02-24-14, 23:52
Built into our home and use wireless service but using ADT ? Tried a few others as said by steyr all goes to the same place anyway ?
Glass brake window opening and door motion
Also get a code that turns the alarm off but shows you are in house being forced to turn the alarm off

Had ours go off once response time over 30 minutes we were out got the call we arrived home
I just opened the door called our dog
Waited for Leo to show up told him quick layout and let him clear the home confirmed we had our dog and no living thing in the home would be ours
Turns out False alarm

Strange enough our neighbor said some kids were cruising the neighborhood that did not belong going really slow with one walking up to homes about hour before
Maybe they tripped it and bailed if so outside alarm did it's job

Also all recycle garbage of any tech kind or things that might be worth something etc.. Is obliterated no reason to stick out once a week what I buy :) paranoid ? Maybe :)

munch520
02-25-14, 06:04
Claymores and attack Tigers

This. But when I'm out of claymores and the tigers are at the vet...IMO the name of the game is layers. No one method of security is guaranteed to work.

-Outside lights. Always on at night. Spots, motion, etc. Some neighbors never turn theirs on, can't figure out why.
-Dogs, as said above.
-ADT pulse. Multiple pads, remotes, vid, battery backup, and motion sensors. All weak points are instant-on via motion no matter what setting I arm with (home, away).
-Cameras are going in this week, accessible from mobile and also downloading to HD and cloud.
-Security film also going on large glass door this week.
-Motion setup was tedious but I favor it over glassbreak. It's now aligned so I can arm motion at night but still get to move from the master to the nursery without setting off an alarm. But we have to disarm before going downstairs.

BIGUGLY
02-25-14, 09:21
Mutated sea bass, angry ones at that.

Otherwise just make sure you close your blinds, don't have landscaping that people can hide behind, security lights and steel reinforced doors and door frames with good locks, as far as windows not sure besides bars but those are ugly and might make you more of a target with the look what he's got mentality.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-25-14, 09:32
I use Smith Thompson Security. I believe they may be Texas only but they only do wireless monitoring. If you pay for the year upfront you get a discount. I think we pay like $14 per month for monitored security.

I couldn't tell you on a system install, our house already had a pretty good one including window,door, and motion sensors. I am looking into adding a few cameras as well.

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-14, 15:42
Mutated sea bass, angry ones at that.

Otherwise just make sure you close your blinds, don't have landscaping that people can hide behind, security lights and steel reinforced doors and door frames with good locks, as far as windows not sure besides bars but those are ugly and might make you more of a target with the look what he's got mentality.

3M Saftey & Security films, DoS use it on windows in our embassies abroad.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Government/Safety-Security_Window_Films/

Whiskey_Bravo
02-25-14, 15:44
3M Saftey & Security films, DoS use it on windows in our embassies abroad.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Government/Safety-Security_Window_Films/

I have thought about this before. Does anyone have a rough estimate on the cost?

Djstorm100
02-28-14, 20:31
Get this..Yesterday/last night someone broke in and stole the dish washer. Kicked in the back door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Djstorm100/House/IMG_1970_zps342a6c42.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Djstorm100/media/House/IMG_1970_zps342a6c42.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Djstorm100/House/IMG_1976_zps6d2834e4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Djstorm100/media/House/IMG_1976_zps6d2834e4.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Djstorm100/House/IMG_1977_zpsf876b1ac.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Djstorm100/media/House/IMG_1977_zpsf876b1ac.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Djstorm100/House/IMG_1984_zpsf3f8e083.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Djstorm100/media/House/IMG_1984_zpsf3f8e083.jpg.html)

steyrman13
02-28-14, 20:40
Get this..Yesterday/last night someone broke in and stole the dish washer. Kicked in the back door.

Man....That is crazy! Did you start this thread because you thought the location was bad? That is a WILD coincidence. I hope they can figure out who did it.
The Samsung security setup sold at SAMs club have a 4 ch and 8ch. I and a friend have the 8ch and it works pretty good. It hooks up to the internet and you can access it online through your phone or computer to see what is going on. Also most companies use Alarm.com for alarm apps that allow you to see sensors state and arm and disarm systems. There are basically two ways you can have monitoring
Purchase your equipment yourself and have a low monthly monitoring cost ~$12-15 a month but cost you about the same as no install/no upfront cost and $30-35 a month if you average it out over a 3 year period where it ends up cheaper with purchasing upfront after 3 years.
I am sorry to see this....I HATE Thieves!!!

Djstorm100
02-28-14, 20:49
It's new construction in a new neighborhood..it's not uncommon to see this kind of thing. Most of the time it is a inside job, someone that works for a sub contractor/etc. The area is great area just, neighborhood with no lights, off the road, cover of darkness = easy target.

steyrman13
02-28-14, 21:14
It's new construction in a new neighborhood..it's not uncommon to see this kind of thing. Most of the time it is a inside job, someone that works for a sub contractor/etc. The area is great area just, neighborhood with no lights, off the road, cover of darkness = easy target.

Most definitely. It's just wild that you were checking into systems & within a few days later this happens.

Moose-Knuckle
02-28-14, 21:31
Sorry to hear you got hit.

One of the first things that I did when we moved into our new home was to replace the backdoor as it was mostly glass with a solid security door. I then installed a Door Devil anti-kick plate to reinforce the wood frame, the major weak point on industry standard homes. I also have a Master Lock security bar wedged under the knob as well to help me sleep at night.

http://doordevil.com/

https://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details/265DCCSEN