PDA

View Full Version : 270 mph. World's fastest production car (w/a bit of controversy) is American.

jaxman7
02-25-14, 09:46
I know there are fellow car nuts out there. On Valentine's day a Hennessey cracked the 270 mph mark and overtook the Veyron for world's fastest production car. Pretty impressive considering they have no where near the R&D capacity as Volkswagen and the Bugatti has a W16 and the Venom has a V8. On the whole as a technical achievement, the Bugatti is more impressive to me but that it not a knock against the Venom. Thought the location of JFK Space Center was appropriate and (for all fellow UK Top Gear fans) see if you can spot the cool Stig tribute in the video. Some say....that the Stig 'started' this entire record breaking run. ;)

-Jax

Heck of a nice pic for screensaver:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/venom-record-660_zpsnjjxf7jz.jpg (http://s907.photobucket.com/user/jaxman7/media/venom-record-660_zpsnjjxf7jz.jpg.html)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/24/hennessey-venom-gt-claims-top-speed-record-for-usa-at-270-mph/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAavCjVQvM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

markm
02-25-14, 09:56
I watched a show on the production and development of that Veyron. It was very impressive.

jaxman7
02-25-14, 10:02
Saw that too. The detail is incredible. Not sure if it is still happening but when Bugatti initially launched that car VW lost money on every single one sold. It was done simply as a technical exercise. Lexus I have read loses money on every LFA they build for the same reason.

-Jax

Ryno12
02-25-14, 10:26
If I'd have won that damn Powerball last week, I'd have one already on order. I'd even let you two take it for a spin.

Sent via Tapatalk

Eurodriver
02-25-14, 10:39
0.7G of acceleration. In a car. Lol

TehLlama
02-25-14, 10:52
The Venom is a straight line stallion. The Veyron is a more complete package, but at an obscene price.

To be honest, what I want is a Hennessey Exige (with stock block), or a Hennessey BRZ - since the VelociRaptors and CTS-V upgrade kits put those vehicles in six digit prices for a car.

Kenneth
02-25-14, 11:00
I'll take anything Hennesy builds or touches. There's a Velociraptor around town. 550hp ford raptor that's pretty slick.

Big A
02-25-14, 11:53
I'd be interested to see what a stripped Veyron SS could do. I bet they could gut 500lbs from that beast.

And any word yet on the top speed of the new McLearan P1?

jaxman7
02-25-14, 11:55
I'd be interested to see what a stripped Veyron SS could do. I bet they could gut 500lbs from that beast.

P1 is probably gonna be around the 235 maybe 245 mark I would guess.

-Jax

thopkins22
02-25-14, 12:47
I dislike the name of the company, but everything they touch is straight sex.

I'm happy that we're finally sticking it to the anal retentive Germans and snobby Italians where it hurts most for them...cars that are only affordable to a few thousand people on each continent.

Belmont31R
02-25-14, 12:57
Still would rather have numerous other cars. Speed isn't everything. The complete package is, since 99% of the time I'd be driving around in normal traffic, anyways. Still a good technological feat.

SilverBullet432
02-25-14, 14:35
I read it doesnt "officially" qualify as the worlds fastest.

JBecker 72
02-25-14, 14:44
That's an impressive Lotus Exige.

The P1 is a different kind of fast, top speed isn't it's goal. Conquering "The Ring" and other racetracks is what that car is all about.

murphman
02-25-14, 14:52
I have the luxury of driving by their shop on the reg and there are many times a CTS V or other GM car pulls out and goes WOT, it is a great sight. Doesn't hurt that they have their own test track.

WillBrink
02-25-14, 15:11
I know there are fellow car nuts out there. On Valentine's day a Hennessey cracked the 270 mph mark and overtook the Veyron for world's fastest production car. Pretty impressive considering they have no where near the R&D capacity as Volkswagen and the Bugatti has a W16 and the Venom has a V8. On the whole as a technical achievement, the Bugatti is more impressive to me but that it not a knock against the Venom. Thought the location of JFK Space Center was appropriate and (for all fellow UK Top Gear fans) see if you can spot the cool Stig tribute in the video. Some say....that the Stig 'started' this entire record breaking run. ;)

-Jax

Heck of a nice pic for screensaver:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/venom-record-660_zpsnjjxf7jz.jpg (http://s907.photobucket.com/user/jaxman7/media/venom-record-660_zpsnjjxf7jz.jpg.html)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/24/hennessey-venom-gt-claims-top-speed-record-for-usa-at-270-mph/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAavCjVQvM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'd think it would be the reverse, considering getting 270mph out of an V8 is a greater technical achievement than a V16 I'd guess. What tech about the Bugatti do you find it's most impressive achievements? Pretty damn amazing regardless to be sure.

Alex V
02-25-14, 15:12
I read it doesnt "officially" qualify as the worlds fastest.

Correct.

It is not a true production car so it does not actually qualify. Impressive non the less and an awesome achievement.

rushca01
02-25-14, 15:24
Correct.

It is not a true production car so it does not actually qualify. Impressive non the less and an awesome achievement.

I think the reason is because it has to make two passes then the average speed of the two passes is used to determine the record. This was one pass, that's all NASA would allow.

Alex V
02-25-14, 15:31
I'd think it would be the reverse, considering getting 270mph out of an V8 is a greater technical achievement than a V16 I'd guess. What tech about the Bugatti do you find it's most impressive achievements? Pretty damn amazing regardless to be sure.

Here is the thing, it the Veyron you actually have a W16 to keep the overall package smaller, and 4 turbos. I don't know how much boost it is running, but I would imagine it is somewhere around 1 bar (14.5psi) or less. In a turbo'd engine, you roughly double the naturally aspirated HP with 1 bar of boost. This means that the LS7 in the Hennessey is running anywhere from 1.5 to 2 bar. Can you build an LS7 to hold 2 bar reliably? The most I have seen that hold for is maybe 50 or 75 1/4 mile passes at the track before you begin to have leak down and may need a rebuild of some sort, at least re-ringing it. Not to mention the cars that I have personally seen run 25psi or boost or more on an LS-anything have to change their spark plugs on an extreme basis. We would take a customer car off the trailer, warm up the engine on a set of plugs, and change them out for a new set before the car would run down the track. That means you can be in full boost for what, 10minutes? The LS7 was never designed for boost, the heads require a lot of work, you need inconel exhaust valves, not to mention expensive valve train upgrades to keep the springs stable at high revs and high boost. I don't run boost and my rockers are $2K and are not designed for street use, meaning prolonged running as in driving from NJ to Florida. I would imagine the LS7 in the Hennessey has a similar set of Jessels in it, they are not designed to last a lot of miles. I can go on and on.

Point is, the Hennessey is impressive, but being a modified car, it will not be as reliable as a factory offering. Then again for the $600K price tag of the Venom you can buy 3 of them for the price of one Veyron lol.

Alex V
02-25-14, 15:32
I think the reason is because it has to make two passes then the average speed of the two passes is used to determine the record. This was one pass, that's all NASA would allow.

That too. But it is not a production car. It is a modified Lotus Chassis and a modified GM engine.

WillBrink
02-25-14, 17:38
Here is the thing, it the Veyron you actually have a W16 to keep the overall package smaller, and 4 turbos. I don't know how much boost it is running, but I would imagine it is somewhere around 1 bar (14.5psi) or less. In a turbo'd engine, you roughly double the naturally aspirated HP with 1 bar of boost. This means that the LS7 in the Hennessey is running anywhere from 1.5 to 2 bar. Can you build an LS7 to hold 2 bar reliably? The most I have seen that hold for is maybe 50 or 75 1/4 mile passes at the track before you begin to have leak down and may need a rebuild of some sort, at least re-ringing it. Not to mention the cars that I have personally seen run 25psi or boost or more on an LS-anything have to change their spark plugs on an extreme basis. We would take a customer car off the trailer, warm up the engine on a set of plugs, and change them out for a new set before the car would run down the track. That means you can be in full boost for what, 10minutes? The LS7 was never designed for boost, the heads require a lot of work, you need inconel exhaust valves, not to mention expensive valve train upgrades to keep the springs stable at high revs and high boost. I don't run boost and my rockers are $2K and are not designed for street use, meaning prolonged running as in driving from NJ to Florida. I would imagine the LS7 in the Hennessey has a similar set of Jessels in it, they are not designed to last a lot of miles. I can go on and on.

Point is, the Hennessey is impressive, but being a modified car, it will not be as reliable as a factory offering. Then again for the $600K price tag of the Venom you can buy 3 of them for the price of one Veyron lol.

Good info, thanx. I have to say, if it's not an actual production car, I'm now not impressed in the least. Anyone can make a "one of" car to hit those speeds. When a car can do that as a production/factory offering, hence the "worlds fastest production car" that's far more impressive.

Kenneth
02-25-14, 17:57
They have produced 6 or so of them and have like 20 people paid waiting for there's. I also do not see Hennesey putting that car out were it wouldn't be drive able. Everything I have seen from his shop has been reliable. Of course nothing that extreme but several 1000+ hp cars that are daily driven. There is a good YouTube video of that car that shows just how much acceleration it has. I would love to get a ride in one. I would much rather drive it but I'm sure when I pulled out and dump clutch at 7k it would be short lived Haha.

I don't know about those numbers anymore as the show I saw on that car was a few years old.

Big A
02-25-14, 21:00

That it weighs 4,162lbs and achieved 267.856mph. That achievement is staggering when you realize it still has all the creature comforts like heated leather seats and Bluetooth, GPS, etc. And the engine still has room to make more power. Now imagine if they put it on a diet and cranked the power up to 11...They would probably start flirting with the 300 mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron

Big A
02-25-14, 21:08
That's an impressive Lotus Exige.

The P1 is a different kind of fast, top speed isn't it's goal. Conquering "The Ring" and other racetracks is what that car is all about.

I know, I was just wondering how close it was as I hadn't seen all the numbers on it yet.

Belmont31R
02-25-14, 21:14
Exactly. The Bugatti is a complete package of a car not a purpose built one run down a straight line car. I'd also surmise that the Bugatti would hold its value far better. Vintage Bugatti cars are right up there along with the rest of them in auction prices. In 10 years a Hennessy built car will be worth far less than its sticker price. I didn't particularly see anything in the interior that stuck out as being quite nice. The Bugatti or even Zonda interiors are really works of art in their own right.

graffex
02-25-14, 21:17
I'm a big car guy and I think the veyron is ugly as hell. It's also clunky and weights a ton.

_Stormin_
02-25-14, 21:19
I'm happy that we're finally sticking it to the anal retentive Germans and snobby Italians where it hurts most for them...cars that are only affordable to a few thousand people on each continent.

"Sticking it to them," by making a $1.2MM car isn't exactly sticking it to them. The people with the money to buy a Venom can buy a 918, and Veyron, with money to spare for a P1 for fun...

In my business I have been fortunate enough to be around some of the coolest cars in the world. Desire to make the purchase is the limiting factor for these buyers, the money is no worry.

The Venom is a neat ride, but so is the SSC Ultimate Aero which briefly actually held the record from the Veyron. Neither have the fit and finish of the Veyron, which is a true luxury coupe that happens to be INSANELY fast. Have not yet been in a Venom, but I have had the good fortune to be in the Aero and the Veyron. The Aero feels like a kit car next to the Veyron.

graffex
02-25-14, 21:31
"Sticking it to them," by making a $1.2MM car isn't exactly sticking it to them. The people with the money to buy a Venom can buy a 918, and Veyron, with money to spare for a P1 for fun...

In my business I have been fortunate enough to be around some of the coolest cars in the world. Desire to make the purchase is the limiting factor for these buyers, the money is no worry.

The Venom is a neat ride, but so is the SSC Ultimate Aero which briefly actually held the record from the Veyron. Neither have the fit and finish of the Veyron, which is a true luxury coupe that happens to be INSANELY fast. Have not yet been in a Venom, but I have had the good fortune to be in the Aero and the Veyron. The Aero feels like a kit car next to the Veyron.

I'm jealous. The SSC Ultimate Aero is an amazing car.

_Stormin_
02-25-14, 21:45
The thing is SILLY FAST, but is nowhere near the Veyron as a finished package. That said, it's like half the price. :D

graffex
02-25-14, 21:50
The thing is SILLY FAST, but is nowhere near the Veyron as a finished package. That said, it's like half the price. :D

It's not as finished, but it's more of a visceral drivers car. The Veyron to me is like a Bentley. Sure it's got the power, and luxury. But it doesn't have the soul of a high performance track killer. I don't want all that fancy crap at the expense of massive extra weight and diminished handling/track performance.

That being said I'm saving up for a Ferrari 458 Italia as we speak :)

Belmont31R
02-25-14, 21:57

So are a lot of cars like Zonda, Koenegseg, special edition Ferrari and Lamborghini, ect. Porsche Carrera GT...

02-25-14, 21:58
I saw two Veyrons in person but this was during NBA All Star weekend in Houston back in 2013. Haven't seen any since. Also despite Hennessey being just outside of Houston/Katy, I've yet to see one of their models.

_Stormin_
02-25-14, 22:20
That being said I'm saving up for a Ferrari 458 Italia as we speak :)
Save your money and buy a 430 Scuderia. I've spent some time in each and the 458 isn't worth the jump in price. The 430 Scud is still my all time favorite of everything I've ever driven.

Kenneth
02-25-14, 22:45
^^^
What do you do for a living and how do I get involved? Must be nice lol.

_Stormin_
02-25-14, 22:58
Get a degree and pass your series 7... The rest is all hard work and time.

Alex V
02-26-14, 06:22
They have produced 6 or so of them and have like 20 people paid waiting for there's. I also do not see Hennesey putting that car out were it wouldn't be drive able. Everything I have seen from his shop has been reliable. Of course nothing that extreme but several 1000+ hp cars that are daily driven. There is a good YouTube video of that car that shows just how much acceleration it has. I would love to get a ride in one. I would much rather drive it but I'm sure when I pulled out and dump clutch at 7k it would be short lived Haha.

I don't know about those numbers anymore as the show I saw on that car was a few years old.

I've met those guys at the track back in 2005ish (when I raced more, before Instarted working lol) and spoke with them at length, I know they are not trying to sell a crap product. My guess is that they just cranked this car to 11 to make the run. My guess is also that it had problems afterwords. They are running some sort of electronic boost controller like an AMS1000 so going from a safe 15-18PSI to the required 25-28 PSI requires a push of a button and possibly changing the spring in the waste gate. I don't think the car they sell to you will put out as much power.

I have seen LS Vette's put down over 1000HP but they were not street friendly at that level.

All of them had to run C16 fuel. That is 116 octane leaded fuel, not something u can find at the local Mobile station. And it costs about $12 a gallon now a days lol. When turned down to 650-750 hp they can run premium (93) fuel and not ping. Once again, they Veyron makes 1200hp on 93 octane.

_Stormin_
02-26-14, 08:49
There has always been power available. The top tuners in Japan and the US have taken Toyota Supras and pushed 1300 to the wheels without pushing the price into the stratosphere. That's from a six cylinder...

jaxman7
02-26-14, 09:01
There has always been power available. The top tuners in Japan and the US have taken Toyota Supras and pushed 1300 to the wheels without pushing the price into the stratosphere. That's from a six cylinder...

Big difference with the Veyron besides price is that you can drive it in comfort all day long and it'll probably last a very long time if you were 'Sultan of Brunei' enough to make it your daily driver. That is what is so impressive to me about it. 265+ mph, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Savage power but your grand mom could drive it to the weekly bingo game. You usually get one or the other but with the Bugatti you get both in spades.

-Jax

Alex V
02-26-14, 09:07
Big difference with the Veyron besides price is that you can drive it in comfort all day long and it'll probably last a very long time if you were 'Sultan of Brunei' enough to make it your daily driver. That is what is so impressive to me about it. 265+ mph, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Savage power but your grand mom could drive it to the weekly bingo game. You usually get one or the other but with the Bugatti you get both in spades.

-Jax

Agreed, but for the price tag it should come with a Playmate who is eager to please at a moment's notice, in the car, or on the hood... either way lol. Point is, when you pay the price for the Vayron, there is an expectation of performance and quality that should be obvious. Personally? I would take a Ferrari 458 or 599

jaxman7
02-26-14, 09:19
Alex,

Yeah I wouldn't get one either. Personally I love the Maserati Gran Turismo Stradale. Not even a supercar car. Mercedes SLS AMG Black would be the supercar I would buy probably.

Something very sinister looking about those 2 cars and I do like it:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/Mobile%20Uploads/cars_maserati_granturismo_mc_m31808_zpsu9em6lyv.jpg (http://s907.photobucket.com/user/jaxman7/media/Mobile%20Uploads/cars_maserati_granturismo_mc_m31808_zpsu9em6lyv.jpg.html)

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-bs-fd_zpsqyyln0rg.jpg (http://s907.photobucket.com/user/jaxman7/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-bs-fd_zpsqyyln0rg.jpg.html)

Hey a girl can dream can't she? ;)

-Jax

WillBrink
02-26-14, 09:36
I'm a big car guy and I think the veyron is ugly as hell. It's also clunky and weights a ton.

The Bugatti has never done a thing for me visually either.

_Stormin_
02-26-14, 09:40
Agreed, but for the price tag it should come with a Playmate
If you can afford the Veyron, you have zero issues attracting very attractive women. Money trumps ugly all day long. Sure, you can't turn a ho into a housewife, but I have a feeling that isn't the intent to begin with.

Personally? I would take a Ferrari 458 or 599
Two dramatically different cars, providing completely different experiences. Personally, I'll pick a mid engined coupe over a front-mid GT any day. As already stated, 99% of the time I'm happy sticking with the 430 Scud for that. The 599 is a brilliant car, but the new F12 shames it if you can stand the body lines (which I can't, and why I would never buy one). The allure of 2.8 seconds to 60 is pretty sweet though...

C-grunt
02-26-14, 10:12
A good friend of mine has a friend who is very wealthy. Last picture I saw the garage had a GTR (daily driver), McLaren Mercedes SLR, McLaren MP4-12c and a Veyron. My buddy has driven them all and said his favorite is the MP4. But he did take the Veyron out one night and stepped on the gas. He said the acceleration was unimaginable. My buddy drives a tuned up new 5.0 Mustang and he said in the time it takes his Mustang to go from 50-90 mph the Veyron went from 50-150+.

The owner recently crashed his Veyron at a track day here in town. He is a younger guy that likes to play with his toys.

Big A
02-26-14, 10:21
If I was able to afford a Ferrari I'd get the F12. I prefer my engines in the front like Enzo intended ;)

If I was after a mid/rear engine car it would be the Lamborghini Aventador. That thing is just so dead sexy.

02-26-14, 12:01
If I was able to afford a Ferrari I'd get the F12. I prefer my engines in the front like Enzo intended ;)

If I was after a mid/rear engine car it would be the Lamborghini Aventador. That thing is just so dead sexy.

I've seen a crashed white Aventador. Guy wiped out in a club parking lot and struck a pedestrian before hitting a curb and destroying the front end. It was a face palm moment for him. His insurance card had quite an extensive list of cars on it though.

xjustintimex
02-26-14, 18:58
My same thoughts