PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: expiration dates are there for a reason

Pax
02-25-14, 15:51
I've seen some cavalier posts with respect to expiration dates and wear on packaging from EDC/long term transport of medical equipment common to IFAKs. Please: Do not pull out some QC, IBD, PMI HALO, etc, when you need it only to find mold or degraded mission-essential equipment. Hemostatic agents and seals cost nothing compared to failure to prepare. Use expired equipment to train; familiarize yourself with its packaging and application. Get home breathing, gentlemen.

rli7275
02-25-14, 18:45
I've seen some cavalier posts with respect to expiration dates and wear on packaging from EDC/long term transport of medical equipment common to IFAKs. Please: Do not pull out some QC, IBD, PMI HALO, etc, when you need it only to find mold or degraded mission-essential equipment. Hemostatic agents and seals cost nothing compared to failure to prepare. Use expired equipment to train; familiarize yourself with its packaging and application. Get home breathing, gentlemen.

This is so correct.

TXBK
02-25-14, 19:10
It is real easy to stock up on medical supplies and pack them away, and think you are GTG. Thank you for the reminder, and good recommendation on using expired items for training.

Caduceus
03-02-14, 19:23
Some expiration dates are arbitrary, like, kerlix rolls. In fact, I've used an old IV of normal saline and was just fine (used it on myself after a night consoling a friend on breaking up with his fiance).

Others definitely are useful - celox/combat gauze, alcohol pads (they can dry out easily). Good reminder for those that are cavalier about them.

srsbiz
04-01-14, 09:19
Just a question. How long was it expired for? And how were the storage conditions?

Pax
04-01-14, 13:14
Just a question. How long was it expired for? And how were the storage conditions?

That QC was part of my EDC. Pocket carried for a little over a year, picture taken about eight months after the marked expiration date I believe. The packaging held up admirably to a year of abuse in a pocket.

LMT Shooter
05-14-14, 04:24
You mention mold, is that what happened to yours?

Also, do you advise throwing out any/all expired items, or keeping them for in case you run out of fresh, in-date items? If so, could you please specify what expired items may be useful, and which one may do more harm than good if used expired?

Thanks in advance

Pax
05-16-14, 23:32
Brett,

Yes, my QC molded. Dont know how long after its expiration date. Naturally they may have changed their product since that iteration and different versions of their product such as Z-fold or sponges may be more or less susceptible to this issue, I have no idea as I am in no way affiliated with the company. Those details would be questions for them. I am also not in any way a medical professional so I cannot speak as to the viability of recently expired items that still look good to go, however the ultimate point of this thread was that saving them after expiration for any purpose other than training can end badly, and given the inexpensive cost of maintaining in-date medical supplies I'd have to say leaving an old pack of gauze in your trunk bag for years due simply to laziness is fairly stupid. So, in answer to your question about keeping stuff... Yeah, I suppose if its a WROL situation, expired hemostatic gauze with any clearly contaminated sections cut off is better than nothing. But. I dont see such a scenario playing out anytime soon. So. Keep mission-essential supplies up to date.

LMT Shooter
05-17-14, 02:11
Zero disagreement with your reply. I'll be checking my inventory of medical supplies for out of date items, and segregating them for training use only.

Thank you for a good post, and a well-written response to my question.