PDA

View Full Version : Android fans new Galaxy S5

Belmont31R
02-25-14, 22:11
Seems like they didn't have much to offer this year.

http://youtu.be/XarHt0Kp41Y

_Stormin_
02-25-14, 23:02
This one made me LOL...

The OS and Samsung UI take up over 8GB of the phone's base storage space. In this day and age that's unacceptable bloat. The base model has less than half of it's advertised space.

_Stormin_
02-25-14, 23:03
But hey, apparently the gold color their CEO called a gimmick is not quite unthinkable. Their fourth color is going to be gold.

Kenneth
02-25-14, 23:04
Honestly I was waiting for the S5. Been an iphone user for like 6 years now. Kinda tired of getting a new phone that's the same as my past 2 phones lol but I don't know if the S5 is gonna cause me to abort the iphone. Now if only the I6 was around the corner.

_Stormin_
02-25-14, 23:06
The iPhone 6 will be out in October... Announcement around the second week of June. They pretty much do this like clockwork now. I can say that given everything that supply chain orders are showing, holdout for the SIX.

Kenneth
02-25-14, 23:17
Yea I know it was looking like October but if you could see my IP5 you would be ashamed. It's all busted to hell and the body looks like it's been in a blender. I have always been super careful with my phones and never had to worry about cases to much but I shattered this phone a few months after having it haha. It's been a tank ever since though. I'm also getting tired of apples home buttons and on/off buttons failing. I have had 6 different iPhones and every single one of them has had problems with the buttons.

Belmont31R
02-25-14, 23:22
http://youtu.be/ZwZTIhpcaoQ

Belmont31R
02-25-14, 23:36
Yea I know it was looking like October but if you could see my IP5 you would be ashamed. It's all busted to hell and the body looks like it's been in a blender. I have always been super careful with my phones and never had to worry about cases to much but I shattered this phone a few months after having it haha. It's been a tank ever since though. I'm also getting tired of apples home buttons and on/off buttons failing. I have had 6 different iPhones and every single one of them has had problems with the buttons.

I ran my iPhone 5 for most of a full year naked and still got $320 trade in value for a common 16gb silver which was AT&T locked. But then again it didn't have a cracked screen or obvious damage.

Jer
02-25-14, 23:40
Much like iPhone, nothing innovative here. I'll just keep my SGS4 and wait for the next big thing to come along.

Belmont31R
02-25-14, 23:54
Much like iPhone, nothing innovative here. I'll just keep my SGS4 and wait for the next big thing to come along.

The 5s has the only finger print scanner that actually works. Pretty big innovation.

Jer
02-26-14, 00:14
The 5s has the only finger print scanner that actually works. Pretty big innovation.

I love it. An Android powered device comes out with an innovation that's truly useful & Apple owners say it's not a big deal because their beloved iPhone doesn't have it. Then, just as soon as Apple marketing says it's important.... it suddenly is. The fingerprint scanner on the iPhone is no more useful than the one on the S5. Worthless. Just like the pulse reader on the S5. They seem neat-o but in the real world they won't get used very often and likely will create more frustration then they will make your life better. Let me know when there's some useful innovation.

Vgex2
02-26-14, 00:40
This release has left me greatly underwhelmed. It seems to be just a upgraded GS4. No reason for me not to wait until September, when my contract is up, to see what's worth upgrading from my GS3.

Kenneth
02-26-14, 00:56
The fingerprint scanner on the 5S is actually pretty awesome. It works flawlessly and beats the crap out of unlocking with a code. I do not like the swipe from the S5 though. Unless they make it very general on fingerprints I don't ever see it working well.

Belmont31R
02-26-14, 07:51
I love it. An Android powered device comes out with an innovation that's truly useful & Apple owners say it's not a big deal because their beloved iPhone doesn't have it. Then, just as soon as Apple marketing says it's important.... it suddenly is. The fingerprint scanner on the iPhone is no more useful than the one on the S5. Worthless. Just like the pulse reader on the S5. They seem neat-o but in the real world they won't get used very often and likely will create more frustration then they will make your life better. Let me know when there's some useful innovation.

I've been using Touch ID since I got the 5S and think its a great addition because it does work. The Motorola phone that previously had a scanner didn't work that well. By numerous accounts the S5's scanner doesn't work that well. So, yes, Apple did innovate with a scanner that works well and is easy to use.

Numerous tech writers have said negative things about the placement of the heart rate sensor.

Jer
02-26-14, 07:56
I've been using Touch ID since I got the 5S and think its a great addition because it does work. The Motorola phone that previously had a scanner didn't work that well. By numerous accounts the S5's scanner doesn't work that well. So, yes, Apple did innovate with a scanner that works well and is easy to use.

Numerous tech writers have said negative things about the placement of the heart rate sensor.

Numerous tech writers have said negative things about the iPhone yet here we are 5 posts into a thread about the new S5 talking about them already.

JBecker 72
02-26-14, 08:02
Meh, I'm a little over a year into my 5, will just wait for the 6. Had enough of droids and probably won't be back to them.

Belmont31R
02-26-14, 08:21
Numerous tech writers have said negative things about the iPhone yet here we are 5 posts into a thread about the new S5 talking about them already.

And? The S5's scanner still doesn't work.

Jer
02-26-14, 08:23
And? The S5's scanner still doesn't work.

Of course it doesn't, because it's an Android.

_Stormin_
02-26-14, 09:15
And the smart phone jihad has begun on yet another thread... Seriously, the sniping back and forth isn't going to change anyone's phone religion of choice. Acting like the people who come on the forum and then get butthurt when we tell them that the gun shop employee was wrong, and the Seals aren't using Wyndham carbines, is beneath us all... Let's not have the thread just fall apart.

Time will tell if the sensor on the S5 is as reliable as the iPhone 5S has proven to be after five months in the hands of consumers.

brickboy240
02-26-14, 09:40
Meh...I still like my S4 and will not be changing anytime soon.

Swapping phones all the time is a pain in the butt.

-brickboy240

Onyx Z
02-26-14, 11:06
I'm about 1.5 yrs into my GS3, battery life is horrible. From day one, I could barely go a full day without having to charge it. I sure hope the new phones (both Apple and Samsung) have better battery life than mine.

I'm still undecided on an iPhone or GS4/GS5 when I'm eligible. Leaning more towards non-Apple.

tb-av
02-26-14, 11:31
The iPhone 6 will be out in October... Announcement around the second week of June. They pretty much do this like clockwork now. I can say that given everything that supply chain orders are showing, holdout for the SIX.

Is this true or are you gueestimating?... The reason I ask is that I still have iPhone 3. My case is cracked up pretty bad but I actually have another unused if I ever get around to swapping out my sim card... But in the last couple weeks I have seriously been thinking about jumping to the 5. Are there any speculations on what might be different.

I bought an Barnes and Nobel Nook and rooted that with Android and to be honest I'm not that crazy about how some things work... I'm sure it's not as smooth as a Samsung android would be but I seem to get along with apple OS a bit better. ... and I'm a windows OS person..... although I'm building some Linux things now.... so I honestly don't care what the OS is as long as it works easily. But what could you expect from Apple in 8 months? I mean what else can you add to a phone? or Samsung either one.

WickedWillis
02-26-14, 11:40
I'm due for my upgrade through Verizon on March 2nd. I might hold out for the S5. It's between this, and the Note 3 when I do my upgrade. I'm done with iPhones, I currently have a 4s and it's been nothing but disappointing in the 2+ years I've had it.

Voodoo_Man
02-26-14, 11:41
I'll grab the S5 when it comes out.

I have an S3, its old, but works. If the S5 is anything like the S3, it'll be awesome.

VIP3R 237
02-26-14, 11:48
I'll grab the S5 when it comes out.

I have an S3, its old, but works. If the S5 is anything like the S3, it'll be awesome.

That's my thoughts as well, I switched from a i5 to a S3 and have never looked back. The only thing I like the i5 over the S3 was battery life and camera quality. My brother picked up a S4 and his battery life is much better than the S3. I dont really care about the heart rate monitor or the fingerprint scanner, but oh well.

Palmguy
02-26-14, 11:51
My GS4 isn't going away any time soon. I was hoping to see more of a stylistic/aesthetic change. Also, IMO the GS4 hit the point of diminishing returns for further increases in PPI.

Voodoo_Man
02-26-14, 11:58
That's my thoughts as well, I switched from a i5 to a S3 and have never looked back. The only thing I like the i5 over the S3 was battery life and camera quality. My brother picked up a S4 and his battery life is much better than the S3. I dont really care about the heart rate monitor or the fingerprint scanner, but oh well.

There are simple apps like "battery defender" that turn off a bunch of functions when the phone is off, helps with battery life.

Jer
02-26-14, 12:26
And the smart phone jihad has begun on yet another thread... Seriously, the sniping back and forth isn't going to change anyone's phone religion of choice. Acting like the people who come on the forum and then get butthurt when we tell them that the gun shop employee was wrong, and the Seals aren't using Wyndham carbines, is beneath us all... Let's not have the thread just fall apart.

Time will tell if the sensor on the S5 is as reliable as the iPhone 5S has proven to be after five months in the hands of consumers.

...says the guy preaching iPhone in a Samsung thread and then trying to act like his snide little comments were unbiased. *rolls eyes*

Maybe just let people have a conversation about something not made by Apple by not bringing up Apple and things would be just fine. Talk about trying to convert people.... when it comes to tech Apple fanbois are the absolute worst and even though I was once in the mobile phone industry why I tend to stay out of threads like this.

Jer
02-26-14, 12:32
There are simple apps like "battery defender" that turn off a bunch of functions when the phone is off, helps with battery life.

I would NOT recommend app managers as they do more harm than good. Adjust your screen brightness properly is one of the biggest battery drains. Also, some apps are more of a drain than others so do a little bit of research on the apps you use as some poll constantly in the background and hammer your battery. Uninstall apps you don't use and only use widgets for apps you actually use. Some people have tons of active widgets or an active background as well as multiple push services and even apps that poll in the background regularly (temperature, performance, facebook, twitter, text, IM & even those app managers) and then wonder why their battery life isn't as good. Keep in mind that you have more power and true multitasking and these things do use more battery life. Think of your old Nokia phone; battery for days but other than calls & texts it had a calculator & snake. That's it. People want more performance and better battery life which is like wanting a Viper w/Prius fuel economy. They are getting better but sacrifices need to be made somewhere. There are a few things you can do to help maximize your battery life but those in the industry have proven multiple times why app mangers to save battery cause more issues than they address.

Kenneth
02-26-14, 12:46
^^^ old nokias were TANKS. Haha playing snake was a favorite pass time back then too. That and all of the light up cases haha!

Jer
02-26-14, 12:54
^^^ old nokias were TANKS. Haha playing snake was a favorite pass time back then too. That and all of the light up cases haha!

I made a truck load of money on those things too. Between accessories, plans and the fact that I was a level 5 Nokia technician who could do any and all repairs during the heyday of cell phones... it was pretty nice. lol

Those things were damn tanks man. I've got SO many stories but I won't bore people with them since most are used to shattered screens from sneezing while on a phone call these days and wouldn't believe me.

_Stormin_
02-26-14, 20:46
...says the guy preaching iPhone in a Samsung thread and then trying to act like his snide little comments were unbiased. *rolls eyes*.

Perhaps you're bad with reading.

If you can't admit that an 8.5 GB factory OS is excessive bloat, you're blind. I didn't compare it to anyone because I don't need to. You want a comparison? Somehow HTC puts the same OS on the phone using 66% of the space.

Question was posed about waiting for an upgrade because a new iPhone might be coming out. Expected release of the phone in question was "brought up" in reply.

You challenging that Samsungs CEO called the gold a gimmick, then pulled the hypocrite card and made two gold phones? Because that happened too and I just pointed it out.

I'm not trying to pitch anyone anything. Just answering a question and bringing up a delightful doubling back by a company when they saw how well the gold phone from their competitor sold (I bet gold ends up their most popular color on the S5 worldwide, it was a smart business decision).

I have stock in both companies, so either doing well isn't a bad thing for me.

Jer
02-26-14, 20:49
Perhaps you're bad with reading.

If you can't admit that an 8.5 GB factory OS is excessive bloat, you're blind.

Question was posed about waiting for an upgrade because a new iPhone might be coming out. Expected release of the phone in question was "brought up" in reply.

You challenging that Samsungs CEO called the gold a gimmick, then pulled the hypocrite card and made two gold phones? Because that happened too and I just pointed it out.

I'm not trying to pitch anyone anything. Just answering a question and bringing up a delightful doubling back by a company when they saw how well the gold phone from their competitor sold (I bet gold ends up their most popular color on the S5 worldwide, it was a smart business decision).

I have stock in both companies, so either doing well isn't a bad thing for me.

So you bash on the S5 because of stupid inconsequential reasons (someone said no gold and now gold is an option...... Alert the media!!!!) and then try to convince us all your not an Apple fanboi. Ok. We believe you.

_Stormin_
02-26-14, 20:58
So you bash on the S5 because of stupid inconsequential reasons (someone said no gold and now gold is an option...... Alert the media!!!!) and then try to convince us all your not an Apple fanboi. Ok. We believe you.

Actually, I bashed the S5 because of its INSANE bloat, you've just chosen to ignore it. Doesn't bug me in the least as I won't be buying one.

Colors - Sorry you have no sense of humor. I find a complete 180 just to move a few more units to be some humorous hypocrisy.

I have a company that develops mobile software for businesses, a majority of it is iOS. Never hid this from the forum. I still have an iPhone 5, 5s, and an HTC One.

Why do people have such a hard time spelling? You aren't cool with your "boi" you're a grown man. If you were repairing Nokias back when people still bought them you should be better than "boi."

You've chosen to push the issue, and further your Android jihad... Good for you. Done with your sh*t... Good day.

Jer
02-26-14, 21:19
Actually, I bashed the S5 because of its INSANE bloat, you've just chosen to ignore it. Doesn't bug me in the least as I won't be buying one.

Colors - Sorry you have no sense of humor. I find a complete 180 just to move a few more units to be some humorous hypocrisy.

I have a company that develops mobile software for businesses, a majority of it is iOS. Never hid this from the forum. I still have an iPhone 5, 5s, and an HTC One.

Why do people have such a hard time spelling? You aren't cool with your "boi" you're a grown man. If you were repairing Nokias back when people still bought them you should be better than "boi."

You've chosen to push the issue, and further your Android jihad... Good for you. Done with your sh*t... Good day.

Back when iOS had a larger footprint it was because it was a better OS. Now that Android is larger it's bloat. Seems like typical Apple fanboi speak to me.

Color of the backplate on a phone? Who gives a shit? Seems to me that unless someone was afraid of the actual conversation they would try to distract with such tactics. It's a backplate color. Who gives a shit? Let it go.

Careful, your fanboi is showing.

Android Jihad? lol Sure bud. Keep trying to help everyone reach salvation by forcing this notion that Apple is SO much better down everyone's throat at every possible turn. This is a Samsung Galaxy S5 thread so why else would you come in bashing and touting your precious iPhone? Why don't you just let people discuss the S5 and all of it's points, good & bad, w/o you're iPhone ramblings?

So glad you're done with my shit because I'm SO sick of the arrogant Apple faithful looking down on everyone else because of our mobile device selection. There's one (or more) in every Android phone thread.

/Apple BS

The S5 seems like a slightly faster S4 with fingerprint reader & heart beat monitor sensor.... not really impressed.

Kenneth
02-26-14, 21:29
LOL now now boys.

I'm an apple fan boy but I want to like the samsung phones. It's time for me a change I thinking having an iphone forever but everything just works with them. If the S5 can get its features to work and can have good reports I will look into moving over. Apple needs to do something amazing to keep the people that has been iphone users for as long as I have I believe. Basically the same phone over and over again is getting old.

SeriousStudent
02-26-14, 21:31
I think I could probably get away with saying someone had an ugly baby, but they would try and beat my ass if I looked at their phone cross-eyed.

People, it's a phone. They are all phones. They are not your kids, they are not your religion, they aren't the latest CD from Lady Gag-Gag.

Calm down already. It's a phone.

ForTehNguyen
02-26-14, 21:46
the IP67 rating on this is a really nice touch. IP67 means total protection against dust and can withstand water immersion from 15cm to 1m of depth. This would basically guard against spills, sink, and toilet dives. Thats why the bezel got thicker so it can get that rating. Before you had to get the Active model of the phone to get it, now its on the regular one

_Stormin_
02-26-14, 21:49
Careful, your fanboi is showing.

Point out where I've said anything pro Apple?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/ymymabu9.jpg

Seriously. You've spent more time trying to insult me than you have actually talking about this phone that you have such an emotional response to. Grow up.

Kenneth
02-26-14, 21:55
That is damn awesome right there. I would like to have that.

SeriousStudent
02-26-14, 22:01
Point out where I've said anything pro Apple?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/ymymabu9.jpg

Seriously. You've spent more time trying to insult me than you have actually talking about this phone that you have such an emotional response to. Grow up.

And we are done here.

Thanks for reading the post where I told everyone to chill. The next time people ignore a mod telling them to chill, they will go away for a while. I can't be any more explanatory. Get the hint.

If you have a problem with people's posts, hit the report post button. Do not engage in junior high school female cheerleader hair pulling contests.