PDA

View Full Version : glock 26 or 17??? I love decisions

cemoulton
02-25-14, 22:43
My wife and I have several matching firearms (minus some minor preferential touches).
One of our sets is a "pair" of glock 19s. Hers is a factory gen3 nibx wearing Heinie straight eight slants with a duracoated blue titanium frame (it's pertty, but she prefers to carry her p220). Mine is just a plain gen3 with XS big dot night sights (it's my edc).

I'm trying to decide between picking up a g17 for a range gun and having it milled for an rmr. Her range gun is a tricked out 1911 chambered in .40super. It's fun.

Or a g26 for a smaller ccw ( my current smallish ccw is an old s&w model 49 with a 3" barrel) . Her deep carry is a Beretta 3032.

My sensible side is telling me to get the 26 because it has a real purpose other than fun. But the kid in me wants to build a g17 spaced out race gun.

I can't decide. I know I'll carry a g26 almost daily. Also I've never owned or even shot a rmr equipped handgun are they worth the hassle?
Is this one of those lessons best learned through the experience of others?

teutonicpolymer
02-26-14, 00:09
I am not a fan of the 26 primarily because I do not believe it brings much to the table over the 19

If you want a range gun consider a 34

If you want something smaller than a 19 then look at the Walther PPS

cemoulton
02-26-14, 00:39
Hhmmm... I borrowed a 26 and carried it for a couple days. The shorter grip, length and rounded slide seemed to print less than my 19 (I'm very thin, 5'11" 145lb about 6-7%body fat) I can only cc my 19 in the small of my back or in a shoulder rig, but I have borrowed and carried a 26 appendix for the last 2 days. My only complaint is that the gen4 grip texture is too aggressive on my belly (easily fixed just buy a gen3).

The advantage of the 34 is mostly the longer sight radius over the 17 right? If that is the case then once it has a rmr on it it would be a moot point. I have a gen3 rtf2 g22 I'd live to just switch uppers and ejector blocks with someone ( because I've learned my lesson with .40s&w) but I doubt I'll ever find anyone who wants to make the swap.

Am I missing something on either of these thought paths? If so please correct me. I'm always open and willing to learn.

teutonicpolymer
02-26-14, 01:45
If by small of your back you mean your 6 o clock I would not do that because you risk spinal injury if you fall on the gun.

I agree with the gen 4 texture being uncomfortable for ccw use. The tiny bumps dig into the skin.

Some people like the 17 over the 34 but my preference is for the 34. I think it balances a little better for me.

cemoulton
02-26-14, 02:12
I carry my 19 at about 5 o'clock, the grip does cross my spine. The problem is that the grip is long enough to obviously print when carrying appendix, this is what led me to the 26.

I'll have to try to get some trigger time on a 34 before I make a decision. I have never shot a long slide of any make or model so I do not know how one would balance for me. I'm selling the g22 rtf2 to finance this purchase. I love the rtf2 texture in a range gun just not the .40 or .357 round (I have both barrels) it is chambered in.

I'll end up with both eventually, I guess I should just grad a g26 from the shop until I can arrange some trigger time on a g34.

tgizzard
02-26-14, 05:52
I picked up a 26 for carry and love it. I carry at the 4 o'clock position, it never prints. I'm located in the sunshine state and If I'm not working I usually just wear a pair of shorts and a crew shirt, it never prints. The grip was annoying at first, but I don't even notice those little bumps any longer. I don't own a 19, so I couldn't say which would be better for you. But the 26 is a nice carry gun, and it shoots likes like a "big gun" as well, so that's always a plus.

walkin' trails
02-26-14, 06:05
I carried a 27 for years and now have a Gen 4 26. From my experience, a 5-shot S&W conceals better, but doesn't have the firepower of the baby Glock. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with. Having also carried a 19 and 23, I will say that the 26 is slightly more conceable. That may sound too obvious, but if you're only carrying one gun, the 19 is a pretty versatile package with good gunleather. That said having a G26 in the inventory is not a bad idea. I also agree with everyone who suggested a 34 instead if you only want a range gun.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

ARPILOT
02-26-14, 06:44
I have a G26 Gen4 for daily CCW, I love it....easy to carry....fun at the range.....lots of great 9mm ammo to pick from (also easy to reload for).....magazines - with or without the finger extension works fine for me and I have large hands, I like the plus 2 mags giving you 12 + 1 carrying capacity. I carry IWB in a Theis Holster @ 4 O'clock, plenty of adjustment for cant and ride height.
OK, I'll shut up now - go get you a G26 you won't be disappointed !

R0CKETMAN
02-26-14, 07:24
My sensible side is telling me to get the 26 because it has a real purpose other than fun. I know I'll carry a g26 almost daily.

sounds like you already have it figured out

platoonDaddy
02-26-14, 07:29
I use the X-Grip Mag adapter on a 15 round magazine on my G26

sparky-kb
02-26-14, 10:17
Just to add my experience regarding those same firearms...

I carry a 19 daily most of the year and have 2 of them. Got a 26 that I carry quite a bit during the summer if I'm just wearing a t-shirt. Have a 17 and it rarely ever leaves the safe. I like shooting it but I just have a hard time burning ammo through a gun I don't carry. Of the 3 models the 17 is the one I'd miss the least if I had to choose one to get rid of.

Then again I still want a G34 or 41 even though neither would fill any practical role for me. Sometimes you need a "fun gun" just because.

Grip
02-26-14, 12:47
Id say a 17 since you own a 19.

I purchased a 26 to carry in AZ for a few weeks. I carried it twice, and carried my 19 for the rest of the time.

I kept the 26 for a few months, shot it a little, then sold it.

That is my experience with a 26.

SiGfever
02-26-14, 13:38
I own a G19 Gen3 and shoot it better than just about any other pistol that I own. My EDC is a G26 Gen3 in a Fist #1AK "thin kydex" IWB at 3:30-4:00. I am 6' 190lbs and it conceals better than my G19, and with the standard floor plate rides so comfortable that I forget that I have it on. The accuracy of the G26 is outstanding and a real pleasure to shoot. JMHO

davidjinks
02-26-14, 17:07
I'd say go with the 17. You'd get more utility from it over a 26 IMHO.

You have a 19 so I'd go 17. I just got rid of my 26 after having it for 5 years. It has been carried twice a year since I've had it. My 19 can pull the same carry duty as the 26 with +5 more rounds, better fit in the grip, better sight radius and better controllability for me while shooting it.

My 17 or 22 are carried during the winter and my 19 is carried during the summer months. They fill my requirements just fine.

RIDE
02-26-14, 17:26
I absolutely love carrying my 26... I had been carrying a 19 for years, I thought the 26 really wouldn't be much different than the 19 in terms of comfort and conceal ability... I was wrong, I notice quite a big difference in regard to both areas.
Don't get me wrong.. I love the 19 and wouldn't get rid of any of mine, but the 26 is a great ccw and the compatibility with the larger round count mags (x-grip on 19 mags is nice), just makes it a no brainer for me.

Get the 26 IMO.

RD62
02-26-14, 20:30
I love my Glocks and have several, all in 9mm.

If I had none and was trying to decide between a 17 and a 26 I'd go with the 17 as I think it is more practical all around.

Since you already have a 19, I'd go with the 26 before the 17.

Eventually just get em all though...

cemoulton
02-26-14, 21:03
I know that what ever I pick we'll eventually end up with 2. It happened when she wanted a revolver, we got her a 686 to match up to my 586. It happened when I feel in love with her p220, I found a 1986 West German for me. And it happened with my g19, she wanted one too. It's also happened with a couple rifles.

After thinking it about it I'm leaning more and more towards a gen3 g26. Maybe I should just order two of them and get it over with lol.

jmk
02-26-14, 21:21
I have them all. the g26 is what walks around with me (and i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the XS Big Dot). the rest somehow stay in the safe...
I've shot the g26 in a few tactical classes and didn't miss the g34 at all.

here's the thing: you can make a g26 bigger, but you can't make a g34 smaller. I've got Pearce mag extensions for my in-the-gun mags and they make a heck of an improvement without a practical increase in size. and i simply carry a g17 mag as the reload.

and, dare I say it, you can slap an RMR on a g26, too. the gun wouldn't be any taller than a g17 with standard sights, and arguably, a g26 would benefit more from an MRD than a g34 would.
i bet the g26 w/MRD would still conceal better than a std g34.

filthy phil
02-27-14, 08:04
I like the 26 for pocket carry and its small enough, with a large jacket, to hold in the hand and shoot right thru.
I have a 17 also

luckybychoice
02-27-14, 15:43
G26 gets my vote, I carry one every day in a belt slide holster or Leather IWB, both custom made for me by a friend. I recently added a S&W .38 Bodyguard, which has a laser factory sight installed. This might split some carry duty.

Good luck with your choice.

Flankenstein
02-27-14, 15:53
Don't like 26...Love the 17!

brushy bill
02-27-14, 19:47
I like the 26 for pocket carry and its small enough, with a large jacket, to hold in the hand and shoot right thru.
I have a 17 also

I might try that with a 442/642 or bodyguard, but not a semi-auto. One shot proposition as far as I can tell.

El Cid
02-27-14, 20:00
I might try that with a 442/642 or bodyguard, but not a semi-auto. One shot proposition as far as I can tell.

And you run the risk of doing "The Plaxico Burress" without a holster. With a holster shooting through a pocket will be slow and awkward - especially under stress.

OP: my vote is the G17. Everyone should have a good full size pistol IMO. Also I believe a G19 will do anything a 26 can do, but the reverse isn't true. I have all 3 and a G26 gives up too much in terms of control as well as capacity. Many of the mag extensions are unreliable. Plenty of folks carry G19/23 pistols on their ankle.

As someone who daily conceals a G21 with an X300 on it, I tend to be unsumpathetic to folks who claim they can only hide something so small as a G26 (unless it's a woman - they have to dress like men in the warmer months, or wear suits to hide a decent sized gun).

brushy bill
02-27-14, 21:38
And you run the risk of doing "The Plaxico Burress" without a holster. With a holster shooting through a pocket will be slow and awkward - especially under stress.

OP: my vote is the G17. Everyone should have a good full size pistol IMO. Also I believe a G19 will do anything a 26 can do, but the reverse isn't true. I have all 3 and a G26 gives up too much in terms of control as well as capacity. Many of the mag extensions are unreliable. Plenty of folks carry G19/23 pistols on their ankle.

As someone who daily conceals a G21 with an X300 on it, I tend to be unsumpathetic to folks who claim they can only hide something so small as a G26 (unless it's a woman - they have to dress like men in the warmer months, or wear suits to hide a decent sized gun).

Agreed on all counts. IMHO, 26 offers too little and gives up too much to trump a 17/19.

cemoulton
02-27-14, 22:24
Hmmmm... posters seem split almost down the middle.

For a go to war or range gun the 17 is certainly a better bet. Some have mentioned the 34, I will probably end up with a longslide variant eventually either way.

I know that some people carry a full sized pistol concealed daily, for me anything larger than a G19 is to large with out an over shirt. As I said I am very thin but manage to cc my G19 under a t-shirt ever day. I would prefer to carry "appendix" but the grip on a 19 is just to long unless I carry left side appendix with the grip facing to the right.at just shy of six foot and only 145 maybe if I stopped exercising and started eating badly ;-).

I guess I "need" both ;-) my bank account has got to hate me.

ptmccain
02-28-14, 04:33
Suggestion: Consider the Walther PPQ M2, far superior trigger to any Glock, even those modified with a drop-in trigger. Trust me, try one before you go Glock. I've sold my Glocks and the PPQ M2 is my EDC now.

Trajan
02-28-14, 23:59
Hmmmm... posters seem split almost down the middle.

For a go to war or range gun the 17 is certainly a better bet. Some have mentioned the 34, I will probably end up with a longslide variant eventually either way.

I know that some people carry a full sized pistol concealed daily, for me anything larger than a G19 is to large with out an over shirt. As I said I am very thin but manage to cc my G19 under a t-shirt ever day. I would prefer to carry "appendix" but the grip on a 19 is just to long unless I carry left side appendix with the grip facing to the right.at just shy of six foot and only 145 maybe if I stopped exercising and started eating badly ;-).

I guess I "need" both ;-) my bank account has got to hate me.

On paper the G17 seems pointless compared to the 19, but there is just something about 17s. Perfect sized pistol if concealment isn't an issue, or you're appendix carrying and 170 ish or over.

What appendix holsters have you tried? I find it hard to believe you can't conceal a G19 AIWB with a good holster. I recommend the VG 2 and Dark Star Gear AIWB. FWIW I'm the same height and 155ish (I vary from 150-160; but mostly 155).

In this picture, I'm concealing a G17 in a Dark Star Gear AIWB holster made for a G34/35 as well as two G17 mags at 11 o'clock.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/Hackathorn_Pistol_2013/Day2m.jpg

Yes, it's printing, but keep in mind that's a G17, and it was quite hot so my shirt was sticking. That is also just a normal medium Hanes T.

I normally carry a G19.

If you still can't conceal a G19, cut one of them to G26 length. The cut down 19s are quite slick.

cemoulton
03-01-14, 00:43
On paper the G17 seems pointless compared to the 19, but there is just something about 17s. Perfect sized pistol if concealment isn't an issue, or you're appendix carrying and 170 ish or over.

What appendix holsters have you tried? I find it hard to believe you can't conceal a G19 AIWB with a good holster. I recommend the VG 2 and Dark Star Gear AIWB. FWIW I'm the same height and 155ish (I vary from 150-160; but mostly 155).

In this picture, I'm concealing a G17 in a Dark Star Gear AIWB holster made for a G34/35 as well as two G17 mags at 11 o'clock.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/Hackathorn_Pistol_2013/Day2m.jpg

Yes, it's printing, but keep in mind that's a G17, and it was quite hot so my shirt was sticking. That is also just a normal medium Hanes T.

I normally carry a G19.

If you still can't conceal a G19, cut one of them to G26 length. The cut down 19s are quite slick.

I was using a vg2 but I actually prefer the vg1 with the lanyard run short or vg1 plus a simple grovtec. I bet I have 20 different ccw holsters ranging from ravens to desantes to custom jobs and i always end up coming back to a simple grovtec combined with a vg1.

I'm settled on a 26 for now. I'll grab a 17 or a long slide variant in the next month or so and mill it for a rmr. I've got a blow back project I need to finish before I start a race gun project. Either finish one project at a time or get a bigger bench lol.

PSBT4117
03-01-14, 06:43
Good call on picking the G26. I have a G17 (rtf2), a G19 (Gen 3), and a G26 (Gen4). I end up carrying the G26 most of the time. I can conceal the G17 but it takes some more effort. The G26 carries easier over a wider range of clothing selections. I don't notice a huge drop off of accuracy or handling with the smaller gun over the larger ones. One of the best qualities of the G26 is it's capacity as related to it's size. It's mag holds 10 rounds so I don't feel outgunned. You can also carry one of your G19 mags as a reload.