PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Yugo M70B1 AK 7.62x39

PA PATRIOT
02-26-14, 01:53
Built on the Serbian AK made by Zastava Arms, the M70B1 N-PAP has all black polymer furniture, the bulged front trunion for added strength, brand new USA made 1.5 mm thick RPK receiver, Tapco G-2 trigger and New NCL barrel. Comes with two 30 rd. mags. and compensator. Barrel: 16.25”, Overall: 36”, Weight: 7.5 lbs

Selling locally for $450.00, worth the money or are they just another cheap parts kits assembly?

m4brian
02-26-14, 08:10
CHF barrel = good. No chrome lining, but Zastava knows how to cut the chamber and make receivers = good. IF it is an NPAP or OPAP, it isn't a parts kit. It is local, so you can inspect the mag well which is the only thing Century cut. They OUGHT to be plenty accurate. Bulged trunnion = OPAP, not NPAP, and its a heck of a lot heavier than 7.5 LBS. Some report cheek slap with wood stock, but for $450, you can slap a skeleton stock on it, and that MAY be the ticket.

PA PATRIOT
02-27-14, 11:41
CHF barrel = good. No chrome lining, but Zastava knows how to cut the chamber and make receivers = good. IF it is an NPAP or OPAP, it isn't a parts kit. It is local, so you can inspect the mag well which is the only thing Century cut. They OUGHT to be plenty accurate. Bulged trunnion = OPAP, not NPAP, and its a heck of a lot heavier than 7.5 LBS. Some report cheek slap with wood stock, but for $450, you can slap a skeleton stock on it, and that MAY be the ticket.

I had to take the plunge for the price and picked a NPAP up today, On first inspection the overall appearance of the rifle cosmetically is excellent, No dings, scratches and a even deep finish. The sights are true and the rifle has the bulged front trunion and from what I can see with a bore scope a excellent looking chamber and bore. The action is 100% smooth with no binding and the G-2 trigger is the best I ever felt on a AK pattern rifle. The rifle is tight with no rattles and the magazine seats perfectly with no excessive wobble. The only very minor concern I see is that the high comb stock maybe a little to high as it is made for using optics and the check weld while using the iron sights is tight, but other then that unfired I have to give tentative thumbs up for a first inspection.

m4brian
03-02-14, 14:20
Please send in a range report now that you have the NPAP. More data is greatly appreciated.

halo2304
03-07-14, 10:30
Isn't it a forum rule that pics MUST be posted of new firearms purchases? If not, it should be. ;-) I'm debating jumping into the AK realm. My LGS has an M92 PAP that I'm considering for a rifle build with a possible SBR mod in the future.

djmorris
03-07-14, 12:58
$450 private sale? That's a buy, for sure. They are nice AK's -- far ahead of any WASR 10, etc.

Phlipper
03-07-14, 16:10
far ahead of any WASR 10, etc.

Musta read that on the internet, huh? I've owned multiple examples of both, and I can say with reasonable certainty that you are talking out of your fourth point of contact.

OP ... you got a great deal. Zastavas are usually very reliable and battle rifle accurate, just like most factory build AKMs. Just keep the barrel clean if you shoot a lot of corrosive stuff, like the lead core Yugo that was around a few years ago. With the usual non-corrosive Bear, Wolf, Tiger, et al it will last forever and two days. If you want some tips on making it as mechanically accurate as possible send me a PM.

PA PATRIOT
03-07-14, 18:31
Picked the rifle up Brand New from a local shop which sold close to 100 of them in just over a week. Low price $450.00 OTD for me was a very decent buy indeed if the rifle shoots well at the range.

P2000
03-07-14, 19:13
To give another data point...
I own a Century Yugo AK that I purchased about 7 years ago. I'm not 100% on the model by memory, but it has the RPK receiver and flip up grenade launcher sight, and wood stocks. It appears well made, although heavier than most other AK's.
The Yugo came with the Tapco G2 trigger, which feels extremely light and actually quite nice to shoot in this AK. I sanded and re-finished the stock. The comb seemed unusually high, so I lowered it by 1/8''. My other complaint was that the rifle felt overgassed. Too much sharp recoil from the bolt carrier slamming to the rear. I bought a wolff extra power recoil spring and that made it shoot smoothly.
I also own an Arsenal SLR-107f. In comparison, the Yugo is noticeably heavier (and not chrome lined), but it really does shoot nicely now, and so does the Arsenal out of the box without modification.

Here is a side by side pic. As you can see, the Yugo is a little bigger too.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/87228/aks_zps04fb8c3d.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/87228/media/aks_zps04fb8c3d.jpg.html)

One last thing...I almost forgot. The Yugo AK mag well (at least mine) doesn't seem to be cut properly. I didn't notice this until after thousands of rounds of shooting with regular steel magazines. Then I bought a circle 10 magazine. The Yugo AK will not take the circle 10 mag. Also, the Arsenal is easier to quickly insert magazines into. They seem to just glide in nicely. The Yugo takes a little more finesse.

P2000
03-07-14, 19:39
Isn't it a forum rule that pics MUST be posted of new firearms purchases? If not, it should be. ;-) I'm debating jumping into the AK realm. My LGS has an M92 PAP that I'm considering for a rifle build with a possible SBR mod in the future.

I picked up a M92 as well. It is the real deal, 100% factory. Very nice, especially considering you can pick them up for 400 bucks. I want to SBR it in the future. The complaints I have with my Century Yugo(rifle) are not present in the M92(pistol).

PA PATRIOT
03-08-14, 20:03
My Yugo is built like a tank (1.5mm Receiver & Bulged front trunion) and that will add a bit of weight but if you swap out the wood stock and forearm for plastic the weight savings is excellent and that makes the Yugo handle like any other AK out there. I did pick up a Wolff extra power recoil spring just in case the Yugo is a bit over gassed but all the reports I've been seeing on these new guns is that they run perfectly. My Yugo fits both steel and plastic magazines without issue (It came with two new Tapco 2nd Gen's) without any problems with insertion. I may change out the slanted break for something a bit more effective in killing flash down the road but that's a minor low cost adjustment.

m4brian
03-10-14, 18:36
Remember this post started as an NPAP thread. CAI Yugo build is US barrel and reciver on a mixed/matched kit.