PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX

jimjc
02-26-14, 10:53
Hello all...I`ve decided to go to a semi auto 12ga. shotgun for HD and anything else I need it for...
I`ve been looking and the Mossberg 930 SPX seems to be a lot of gun for the money compared
to the competition from Remington and others.. Anything anyone wants to ad will be appreciated..Jim

SpicyMcHaggis
02-26-14, 20:50
I have had a 930 hunting setup for a couple years now. I've hunted pheasants wit it, broke some clays with it and have run 00 buckshot through it. Damn fine shotgun if you ask me. Not a negative thing to say about it. Priced right also. I think you'd be pleased with one.

Piston10
02-26-14, 21:14
I sold mine. It would not chamber the first round reliably. It happened a lot, so it made it a no go for me.

alcante262
02-27-14, 15:50
Ive got the discontinued 930 Roadblocker.Yes the one with the big compensator on it.Added a extended mag tube and it shoots great at 3 Gun matches.

GH41
02-27-14, 17:06
Do a search for 930 problems and then buy a pump for HD. GH

Pork Chop
02-27-14, 17:40
I've got a 590A1 and a 930 JM pro. The JM gets shot in 3gun matches & for fun, the 590A1 lives near my bed. I'd never keep the 930 for self defense.

Ymmv

BBossman
02-27-14, 17:44
The 930 SPX is "a lot of gun for the money" if you're willing to tinker with it. Some run out of the box, some don't. Most problems encountered are easily fixed by the end user.

I got mine cheap because it was scratched and dinged. Mine ran well out of the box with 00 buck loads. A little smoothing and polishing internally made it run even better.

Most auto-loading shotguns have their quirks or oddities in their operation or manual of arms.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

GH41
02-27-14, 18:52
Like I said... Get a pump for HD! GH

BBossman
02-27-14, 19:10
I HAD to switch to an auto-loader due to repeated surgeries on my left arm. I can support a long gun fine, just can't manipulate a pump action.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

bulbvivid
02-28-14, 07:50
I've had a 930 SPX, currently have a JM 930, and am acquainted with 3 others who have owned and used one or the other model. They all went back to Mossberg at some point to fix problems. Most were sold afterward. YMMV.

brown3345
02-28-14, 10:41
I have owned a 930 for a few years now and I have found out that mine is very finicky on what ammo it is fed. Some brands/loads feed fine, with others it seems like I have to manually cycle almost every shell. I wouldn't trust mine for HD because of the issues I have had with it but other people have had great luck with them.

funkybassplayer
02-28-14, 11:11
I've used a 930spx and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like an old vehicle it had its quirks but it was a good gun. I second the suggestions for a pump for HD but if you're willing to work with it the 930 is a fine gun for the $$. I have a pump next to the bed but my Benelli Vinci is just across the hall in another room incase I should need it. If you're set on an auto for HD I would recommend a Benelli M2 or M3. Even the new Vinci tactical. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decision!

-BTO-

rathos
03-01-14, 00:57
I bought a 930 SPX and so far it has been a great gun. I think if I were to do it over again I would buy a standard 930 defense and add a nordic tube and either a standard fiber optic or tritium front sight. I would generally not use mine over 50 yards and a single fiber or tritium dot would work just as well. It would also save me at least $150 even after buying the sight and with the tube, sling and velcro ammo carriers I would still be under or at the price of the SPX version.

jh225
03-12-14, 16:22
Guess I will be alone in the group of SPX lovers. I have not had a single malfunction of any kind. Started out with full power loads to make sure everything seated well, the went to reduced recoil loads.

The only thing I wish they had done different is put a better pad on it. Full power loads will actually make a person say owww. I replaced it with a limbsaver exact fit and it instantly tamed even hot loads.

And the fact that the gun is accurate as hell, sure doesn't hurt either.

Djay3
03-13-14, 22:36
Another good alternative is the new Beretta 1301 Tactical. Lower "as bought" capacity but getting very good reviews for it's gas piston being able to handle a full range of loads.

SgtRock
04-05-14, 12:43
Agree with the Pump for home defense.. just the sheer sound of the shotgun being racked... is quite intimidating.

SgtRock
04-05-14, 12:44
But I wouldn't turn down a Semi Auto 930SPX.... Better to over by than underbuy..

Big Bronze Rim
04-05-14, 23:52
Agree with the Pump for home defense.. just the sheer sound of the shotgun being racked... is quite intimidating.

There are plenty of good arguments to use a pump for home defense and that definitely isn't one of them. It annoys me to no end when I hear that touted as a reason to have pump.

lugie101
04-06-14, 18:23
Honestly, i'd pick up a Benelli for that price range. I've owned a 630spx, and was not at all happy with it.

The Benelli eats everything I feed it, can be found for cheaper (if you're patient), and cycles quicker, in my experience.

lugie101
04-06-14, 18:24
edit-- i'd pick up a Benelli M1. I'm not referring to the pump-action varieties.

bullitt
04-20-14, 17:59
I got one of the very early ones with the canted front sight. Mossberg sent me a new barrel no questions asked. I also replaced the Chote mag tube that is complete garbage with one from Nordic Comp.

It now wears a 24" barrel and I use it to break clays, hunt water fowl and upland birds. It has been a great gun for the money. I have put many many rounds through mine and It cycles any load and I haven't had any issues.

It seems there are mixed reviews. I have had a great experience with mine. That being said, it got the 930 because I couldn't afford a Browning of Beneli. If you can afford it get something better.

Tony617
04-22-14, 20:47
If I didn't want a semi-auto shotgun for HD then I would get a 930. Some people never had a problem others did and had to send 930 back to Mossberg. I do have a 590A1 that I like and never had issues with it. I also have an 18" FNH SLP and use that for HD now with the 590A1 as backup. I do practice with both a pump and semi-auto at the range.

Kokopelli
04-22-14, 21:37
I went with the JM Pro 22".. It was the poorest fit and finish new gun I've ever seen. Much worse than any AK, honestly. I sent it back to the vendor as a used gun sold for new and eventually got a refund. Stupidly I ordered another one (24" this time) from another vendor and it's the second worst fit and finish gun I ever seen. I sent it back to Mossberg as the safety was unreliable and it was blemished all over. They fixed the safety and sent it back. Tomorrow I'm taking it to the LGS to send it back to Davidsons for a complete replacement. I should have cut my losses on the first one after the refund and bought something else. The current plan is to get a new one on the "Davidson's warranty" and auction it on GB as soon as it arrives. After I get back about 75%-80% of my investment I'll buy a good shotgun.. Not Mossberg! JME.. make what you will of it.. Ron

GH41
04-23-14, 05:42
They had a JM Pro at a local shop that looked like it had fallen out of the back of a moving truck! The guys swore that it came out of the box that way. GH

argyle64
06-11-14, 13:24
I have the 930 SPX I use for HD and for shooting clays. Sure, it's the 18.5" barrel but it's a lot of fun and reliable.

CDR_Glock
06-22-14, 22:00
It was my first shotgun and I had no issues that people had with respect to canted front sights or reliability. Mine fired everything from Walmart target ammunition to slugs to 00 buck. No issues with feeding or reliability. The Benelli M4 I realize is another story and I always wanted one. But I had a hard time justifying it. Then I went to a Benelli M2 tactical and loved it.

The M2 and 930 spx are still my favorites.

Kokopelli
06-22-14, 23:21
Well my third one runs real good! The first two were crap.. I have way too much in this one with all the transfers, so I'm happy it runs.. I actually love it, but I would never buy another Mossberg without actually seeing it first...

bighawk
06-22-14, 23:27
I sold mine

It was fun to shoot when it was working properly however it did not feed reliably.

I bought one when they first came out however so the issues mine was having may have been worked out by now.

I dont know that I would buy another one let alone recommend someone else purchase one.

usmcchet9296
06-23-14, 22:58
Why would one want to announce your armed to an intruder ...... they could be too and now they are ready

bighawk
06-24-14, 00:45
Why would one want to announce your armed to an intruder ...... they could be too and now they are ready

Always been a fan of keeping it next to the bed with one in the chamber.. I don't want them to know I'm coming out with a gun for this exact reason.