PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on a Taurus 1911.

John_Wayne777
05-22-08, 09:38
A police officer buddy of mine recently came to the conclusion that he needs a handgun for home defense. His duty weapon is the only weapon he has, and that he leaves at the station most of the time.

The wife, you see, doesn't like guns. Well, he was recently mixed up in an altercation outside his front door in which a crazed woman pulled a knife on him, giving him the idea that perhaps a gun at home would be a good thing.

His heart is set on a .45 and he held a Taurus 1911 at a gunstore and has absolutely fallen in love with it. He's determined to get a .45 because he wants to "blow somebody in half" if he has to use it.

Now I know that there is so much wrong with what I've just posted that it makes your hair hurt, but I can't tear him down to the frame and fix all his problems.

What I can do is try and get him set up with a decent 1911. I don't have any experience with the Taurus 1911s, but my experience with other Taurus firearms has been less than stellar. Are their 1911s any good?

I've tried to steer him away from the 1911 altogether and into something like an M&P in .45, but I'm not having too much success.

markm
05-22-08, 09:55
A police officer buddy of mine recently came to the conclusion that he needs a handgun for home defense. His duty weapon is the only weapon he has, and that he leaves at the station most of the time.

Does he live in Mayberry? :eek:

ToddG
05-22-08, 09:59
JW777 -- Any chance he could be convinced simply to bring his duty gun home with him from now on? The training he's already got, not to mention the money he'd save, might be enough to steer him away from trouble.

I know it's not your fault, but basically you're asking, "Can anyone recommend a really inexpensive 1911 that is suitable for home defense right out of the box?" That's right up there with, "A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar ..."

John_Wayne777
05-22-08, 11:48
I know it's not your fault, but basically you're asking, "Can anyone recommend a really inexpensive 1911 that is suitable for home defense right out of the box?" That's right up there with, "A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar ..."

I know. It sucks.

He wants a gun he can pass down to his kids....:confused: ...but seems convinced that the Taurus is what he wants. Either that, or a micro sized Kimber. :confused:

I'm trying to steer him to happier options by giving him some trigger time on my M&P in .45.

I'd like to get him away from his .45 fetish, to be honest.

Wayne Dobbs
05-22-08, 11:55
Taurus is a polished turd. If he wants a 1911 to defend what's precious, he will have to pony up. He also might get his balls out of the jar of alcohol his wife is holding and bring his duty gun home.

This is a no brainer in so many ways...

ToddG
05-22-08, 12:06
It sounds to me like he wants a 1911, not that he really wants a gun for home, personal, or family defense. After all, if the wife will let him bring the 1911 into the house, why not his duty gun?

Maybe it's because I've worked for gun companies, but I stopped trying to twist friends' arms when it comes to weapon choices. I offer my advice, personal experience, and what I know from students & peers. After that, if someone absolutely thinks a 9mm Kel-Tec or G37 (or whatever) is his personal path to nirvana, more power to him. My friends are all adults. They're responsible for their own decisions. If someone with borderline ignorance ignores someone who is an experienced shooter like you, that's on him.

sff70
05-22-08, 12:24
Perhaps he wants a 1911, but he might be better served with the same thing as his duty gun.

Army Chief
05-22-08, 13:23
He should probably take a long, hard look at an Oly AR while he's at it.

:confused:

Chief

John_Wayne777
05-22-08, 13:28
Does he live in Mayberry? :eek:

Close. He's never had to draw his weapon on duty, if I remember correctly. His department doesn't have long guns....ANY long guns.

John_Wayne777
05-22-08, 13:39
It sounds to me like he wants a 1911, not that he really wants a gun for home, personal, or family defense. After all, if the wife will let him bring the 1911 into the house, why not his duty gun?

The wife isn't going to find out about the new gun....at least not for a while. When she does find out it's couch time apparently.....personally I'd handle things differently like telling her that guns are a part of what I do and are a necessary defensive tool, and she'd just darned well better get used to it.

He does want a 1911 because he carried one in the military and he says that they fit his hand like nothing else. I told him I agreed and that there was nothing that was easier to shoot than a 1911, but those good points come with some pretty nasty drawbacks, especially to the casual shooter looking for a bargain.

The only handgun he's touched since his time in the military is his issue Glock 22. I told him flat out that in his situation I would buy a Glock 17 or Glock 19 because the ammo is cheaper and he's already familiar with the weapon...but he's intent on a .45 for some reason. I mean, I'm a 1911 guy and even *I* don't carry a .45 much anymore. He's not worried about concealed carry either...he doesn't carry off-duty. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's because I've worked for gun companies, but I stopped trying to twist friends' arms when it comes to weapon choices. I offer my advice, personal experience, and what I know from students & peers. After that, if someone absolutely thinks a 9mm Kel-Tec or G37 (or whatever) is his personal path to nirvana, more power to him. My friends are all adults. They're responsible for their own decisions. If someone with borderline ignorance ignores someone who is an experienced shooter like you, that's on him.

That's about where I'm getting. I'm hoping some trigger time and seeing some ammo prices will fix some of his fixations....perhaps even showing him some of LAV's comments about the 1911. He's more in the "treat a handgun like a lawnmower" category than he is in the enthusiast category.

I'm the only "gun guy" he knows, and frankly the fact that he wants to keep one at home is great progress for him in the mindset department. Hopefully I can convince him to start carrying off-duty too.

He might be one of those guys that has to learn the hard way about 1911 purchases....kind of like I did....:D

ToddG
05-22-08, 13:57
When she does find out it's couch time apparently.....

That's just wrong. I let my wife sleep in the guest room when we're arguing. :cool:

He does want a 1911 because he carried one in the military and he says that they fit his hand like nothing else.

... says the guy who clearly knows zippy about guns.

He might be one of those guys that has to learn the hard way about 1911 purchases....kind of like I did....:D

Well, the reality is that a cheap questionable 1911 at home is better than no gun at home. Since he probably won't practice with it, there's little concern about durability.

Blinking Dog
05-22-08, 14:32
Well, he was recently mixed up in an altercation outside his front door in which a crazed woman pulled a knife on him, giving him the idea that perhaps a gun at home would be a good thing.

The wife isn't going to find out about the new gun....at least not for a while.

So you're just trying to help the guy, which is admirable. But perhaps you're in a no win situation since the logic is kinda faulty. If the crazy knife woman at the door is the catalyst for the whole thing, and he wants a gun to protect against a repeat performance, then he'll need to strap on the gun when he gets home and keep it on until he hits the sack. Seems like the wife would notice.

If it's just a peace of mind thing you might suggest he get a short barreled shotgun instead.

As a simple solution you could advise him to not open his door to strangers. ;)

Robb Jensen
05-22-08, 14:44
The Taurus 1911 doesn't even make a good boat anchor. I wouldn't recommend one to an enemy.

The wife, you see, doesn't like guns. Well, he was recently mixed up in an altercation outside his front door in which a crazed woman pulled a knife on him, giving him the idea that perhaps a gun at home would be a good thing.

His heart is set on a .45 and he held a Taurus 1911 at a gunstore and has absolutely fallen in love with it. He's determined to get a .45 because he wants to "blow somebody in half" if he has to use it.

Now I know that there is so much wrong with what I've just posted that it makes your hair hurt, but I can't tear him down to the frame and fix all his problems.

What I can do is try and get him set up with a decent 1911. I don't have any experience with the Taurus 1911s, but my experience with other Taurus firearms has been less than stellar. Are their 1911s any good?

I've tried to steer him away from the 1911 altogether and into something like an M&P in .45, but I'm not having too much success.

subzero
05-22-08, 15:05

That's it right there. I have friends who ask about gun for this or for that, and if it something I know a stitch about, I'll give them my thoughts. If you (they) choose to ignore them, then don't bother asking me for advice you clearly don't want to listen to. It's not worth my time or yours for me to advise you on something you've already decided, and now you want someone to hold your hand and tell you "good job".

But since we're talking about the Taurus, I'll say that the ones I've fingered have struck me as less than ideal. If I only had 600 bucks to blow on a 1911 (and it had to be a 1911), I'd get a Springfield Loaded model PX9109. I think they're the best buy in that market segment.

But further, I'd echo your ideas on moving away from the 1911 towards a G17 or G19. If it has to be a 45, then the M&P45. It may be easier to steer him towards a caliber if you show him the prices on quality 45 ammo vs 9mm, especially in bulk.

ToddG
05-22-08, 16:35
A guy who has no interest in guns is not likely to be swayed by the cost savings if he buys a thousand rounds of 9mm instead of a thousand rounds of forty-five. I'm willing to bet the gun in question, whatever it turns out to be, will never see 1,000 rounds through it (unless JW777 buys it from him :cool: ).

JLM
05-22-08, 17:30
JW, a local dude bought a Taurus.

He's particularly fond of the 1.5lb trigger :eek: I asked him if this was a carry gun and his was response was yes.

I would agree with gotm4's boat anchor comment. The weapon was very poorly put together from what I could see.

HK45
05-26-08, 14:10
Does he read gun mags? All the rag reviews have said the Taurus is like a Les Baer except it's only $600. I guess they will say anything for advertising $$$. I second or third or whatever the Glock 17 or 19. It's my standard answer for those to new to firearms or who just want something for home defense that they won't shoot very often. Which is a problematic statement in and of itself. If it MUST be a 1911 then i second the Springfield Loaded but I hate to recommend a 1911 to anyone not serious about training and practicing.

the1911fan
05-26-08, 14:43
The SA Mil Spec or Loaded as someone said is THE way to go. Great company with the best warranty and CS in the 1911 game

olivers_AR
05-26-08, 15:29

I got one of the mid production ones in the 06 timeframe, it has run flawlessly for me. I've done a couple of classes and its held up fine. I've run into a few people that bought one, everyone seems to like it, a couple had ambi safety issues, but that's it.

That being said, G19s also work for home defense and with 124 or 147g, should work fine.

Just make sure that they are inside the doorway ;)

Hope this helps,

--Olivers_AR

rhino
05-26-08, 16:09
I shot a Taurus PT1911 that was fairly new and put a few magazines of 230gr FMJ through it. It functioned 100%. It did the same for its owner for a lot more rounds. I know a few others who have (and shoot) them who don't report any problems.

I haven't read much about them, so I don't know what the gossip is. They're not very refined and the front strap is about the same as older, blockier Springfield guns. If it works, though, it works.