PDA

View Full Version : Badlandlands Tactical Tranning

heat-ar
02-26-14, 15:08
I am a novice shooter when it comes to the ar 15 so i took the basic carbine class at Badlands Tactical in Grandfield Oklahoma this past weekend. And and after two full days of training i was pump up on the training i receive at BL tactical. So i thought i would wait a few days and calm down before i wrote a review and 3 days later i am more please now than i was Sunday. Bobby Whittington is the owner and Rich Johnson was the instructor and they go out of there way to make you feel like your part of the family there. And Rich did a great job of being a firearms instructor and being a new friend to everybody.

My ar15 is a colt 6920 and Scope - Vortex 1-6 razor.
Hand guard - Apex 12.5 in.
Sling - Blue Force Vickers combat
Flip up sights- KAC

From a novice shooter this is what i like and did not like about my mods to my 6920 for the type of training we did the weekend.

Saturday after 5 hours of class room study we went to the range and Rich said take your optics off if you have them and we are going to use iron sights so i took my razor off. And i used iron sights for a few hours in the drills we were doing and the iron sights were shooting very well. And after a few hours of iron sights i put my razor on and got about 3 good hours out of it saturday evening.

After about 25 drills of up and down shooting of the ar 15 with the vortex scope on there my arms were done and that was about 1 hour into using the scope. So i had about another 2 hours to go and my shooting went down hill after the first hour of using the scope. The scope work great when i had fresh arms but even when i had something to support the ar for shooting it was still tuff when my arms were tired.

So sunday i ran iron sights all day and shot well with them out to 300 yards. And rich use his spotting scope to help guide us to get hits out to 700 yards. 700 yard shot with iron sights i don't think
is part of the basic carbine class but it was cool for him to do it.
So then we go to run n gun type drills and this is where my flip down rear sight kept getting knock down during movement and messing up my shots. I really like using my iron sights more than i thought i would but i had to be sure they were flip up.

Some things i have already change after my class on my colt is troy flip sights that lock the sights up and you have to push button to lower them. And i have a aimpoint t1 coming also but i was going to order one them any ways even before i took the class.

No surprises with my 6920 in the class it always works great.The sling and apex rail work great for me so they are going stay. The Vortex work fast and great up close using the red dot and then of course turn it up to 6 and shoot distance with it. But the 32 ounces is tuff for hours of run n gun type training (playing). Of course the scope was build for 3 gun type events and Vortex build a great scope for that i am sure.

Anyway that is a novices point of view of his training and his equipment at his first carbine class and i will take some more classes at Badlands Tactical in the future. I feel lucky to have them just 45 mins from my house.

tehpwnag3
02-26-14, 16:30
Sounds like you would really dig a fixed rear. For 1/3cw, I love the bombproofness. Glad you had a good time.

Iraqgunz
02-26-14, 17:24
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?141-MISC-Training-Course-Announcements-amp-AAR-s