PDA

View Full Version : Point me in a unique direction

matemike
02-28-14, 16:13
I am on a quest to find large caliber hunting rifle. I hunt Alaskan Moose (Tanana Valley to be exact)
I shot one in 2007 with a 7mm Rem mag and I feel that caliber was right on the cusp of getting the job done comfortably. I shot him 4 times before he finally fell over. All 4 were excellent shot placements at ~250 yards. And if I consider grizzly bears that are in the area, then a larger caliber makes just that much more sense. I'll feel more at ease with a 300 Wby, 300 RUM, .30-378, or even 338-378 Wby. Problem is I have some specifics that I just can't seem to put together all in one rifle.

1) Left hand bolt
2) Synthetic Tan color Stock.
3) Large Caliber
4) Muzzle break
5) Matte Blued barrel
6) Sub 8 pounds

Weatherby makes some that fit all my needs except the muzzle break on the mark v ultralight in 300 wby. I looked into their all custom line and got halted as the only stock that comes with a 338-378 weatherby left hand bolt is a wood stock.
Remington has nearly zero left hand models. I think I found one in 223 and one in 308.
Browning and Sako turned over no stones either.

Can anyone point me into a better direction?

steyrman13
02-28-14, 17:54
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=7111-REM&index=0&mfg=&mdl=&cat=&type=lefties&cal=&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=UTM300WL6O&index=1&mfg=&mdl=&cat=&type=lefties&cal=&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=
You could possibly get ADCO to thread the barrel to add a brake to either one. The remington you would have to find a different stock if you are stuck on synthetic. There are plenty of rifles under 8 lbs if you arent stuck on synthetic tan stock. Or not stuck on painting a wood/black stock to tan.

DTHN2LGS
02-28-14, 18:48
Have you thought about a .375 H & H?

utahjeepr
02-28-14, 18:59
As above, thought about a 375 H&H? Thought about a Ruger #1? I really love mine, and the loading options are pretty broad.

SteveS
02-28-14, 20:23
You can't knock the bigger the bullet/heavier the better rule as a starting point. 30 caliber ,,baah!!! I have a 300 Weatherby mag all the noise and recoil of a larger caliber with less barrel life.

steyrman13
02-28-14, 20:43
I meant to add 375 H&H to my post as others have mentioned. It is a great Big Game caliber.

matemike
03-01-14, 00:31
I've found a Weatherby Mark V in .30-378 wby.
Black synthetic stock with slider web design grippage, stainless fluted barrel. I could live with that.

I'm questioning the round though. It's a lightning fast .308
Would bear and moose hide destroy the bullet before it's effective?
Is it drastically better than my 7mm Rem mag ballistics?
I was thinking more along the lines of go big or go home. Still on a quest for 338-378 wby or similar in left hand.
375H&H and .340 wby turned up no left hand results either.

So far the 30-378 is leading because it's a actually produced in LH.

mark5pt56
03-01-14, 06:31
Why not stainless for the barrel? having never hunted large dangerous game, I don't have an answer for the caliber--AND bullet selection. But what is important as you know is shot placement. Maybe post this also in the hunting section or even a dedicated hunting forum and I bet more information will flow. I would look into copper solids/Swift A frame, etc if concerned with penetration through bone/hide. Of course short range with hard cast heavies in a 45-70 seems to work for a lot, or even the "old" 30-06--

Some reading

http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_NA_game.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_bullet_guide1.htm

Hope you reload!
http://www.weatherby.com/product/ammunition/cartridges/40332

razors
03-01-14, 12:11
I had a 340 weatherby mag custom shop mkv accumark at one time and I do remember it could be ordered left hand...this caliber WILL get you where you need to be as far as moose. I would at least stick to a magnum 338 if you have brown bear in the area and a good bonded bullet....frankly I'd feel better with the 375 h&h.

Ttwwaack
03-11-14, 13:52
I've heard this same thing numerous times... had to shoot it 3, 4, 5x, or I shot it 3 times and my buddy shot it the 4th time with (insert new cartridge here) and it was DRT. I'm getting a (insert again) for next year. Having been working up there for awhile, I tend to err on the side of caution. A 338wm is popular up there but it is the one that I hear most of the above about. I prefer the old reliables, 375 H&H and 45-70s. They have been killing shit DRT since the turn of last century. The problem with most 375s is there weight so that leaves you the 45-70. Go a Marlin Guide Gun in SS due to the rain and call it good.

For ammo, I'd suggest rolling your own with Starline Brass, H322 and a Rem or Speer 405. You might want to upgrade your recoil pad and go with a semi snag free rear peep.

If your still looking for a lefty bolt, check Gun Runners, Chimo's in the Valley or the shop in Eagle River. Lefty big bores tend to sit around in shops from what I have seen and prices are appealing as compared to their right handed brothers.

mark5pt56
03-11-14, 15:42
Heavy hitter, courtesy of Mr. Smith--talk about twaacking!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/007_zpsa771311f.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/005_zps58e13da0.jpg

Ttwwaack
03-13-14, 14:51
Yea, thats a hammer. Looked at having Wild West Guns in Anchorage build me a 50 Alaskan Co-Pilot a out 8 years ago before a SS 1895 GG crossed paths with me an jumped in the truck. I really wanted a pistol gripped stock but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I could have sourced bottom metal and a stock twice over on GB and paid for labor for the conversion.

Handloading just leaves so many choices for the 45-70 its like 3 in one, old school, moderate or get your fillings replaced. Brian Pearce, HL mag did an article a few years ago of loading the 45-70. There is also some good info over on leverguns.com on loading for all lever gun calibers which I also found interesting.

Only thing left on mine is a nice synthetic stock from MPI but still toying with the take down conversion for about 6 bills.

Back on topic:

Rmorris
03-13-14, 20:12
I am on a quest to find large caliber hunting rifle. I hunt Alaskan Moose (Tanana Valley to be exact)
I shot one in 2007 with a 7mm Rem mag and I feel that caliber was right on the cusp of getting the job done comfortably. I shot him 4 times before he finally fell over. All 4 were excellent shot placements at ~250 yards. And if I consider grizzly bears that are in the area, then a larger caliber makes just that much more sense. I'll feel more at ease with a 300 Wby, 300 RUM, .30-378, or even 338-378 Wby. Problem is I have some specifics that I just can't seem to put together all in one rifle.

1) Left hand bolt
2) Synthetic Tan color Stock.
3) Large Caliber
4) Muzzle break
5) Matte Blued barrel
6) Sub 8 pounds

Weatherby makes some that fit all my needs except the muzzle break on the mark v ultralight in 300 wby. I looked into their all custom line and got halted as the only stock that comes with a 338-378 weatherby left hand bolt is a wood stock.
Remington has nearly zero left hand models. I think I found one in 223 and one in 308.
Browning and Sako turned over no stones either.

Can anyone point me into a better direction?
How about a Ruger m77 in 375 Ruger- blued steel, or better yet, stainless with black Cerakote, dropped in a Bell and Carlson tan Medalist stock? I have seen some with brakes.

Campbell
03-16-14, 17:53
.375 is very versatile and makes sense for a lot of reasons...most already listed above. You could always have a custom field grade rifle built to suit your southpaw needs.

c3006
04-01-14, 06:14
Savage made some big left hand magnums back in the day that are very affordable and shoot very well most of the time. If I'm not mistaken they also offer there big dollar sniper version of the 338 lapua that they build today in left hand. Savage are not the most eye pleasing rifles out there but the do shoot well. The custom work is easily added and made a little more bearable price wise because of the low starting price. The up side is you could shoot it and make sure it will perform before you start throwing money at it.