PDA

View Full Version : Tango Down Arc Mags Problems

danieljmaunder
02-28-14, 20:07
PROBLEM RESOLVED!!

Thanks for the Help

Iraqgunz
02-28-14, 22:21
Can you please explain what you mean by "double feeds"? Is this a factory carbine or one that simply has BCM components on it?

danieljmaunder
02-28-14, 22:31
What I mean by double feeds is that it will try and chamber two rounds at once, both of them being live rounds. And it is a bcm built upper, that I placed on a sun devil lower

Iraqgunz
02-28-14, 22:37
Ok. I just want to make sure that we are speaking the same language. I have heard of even modified 10 round USGI mags and PMAGs having some similar issues. Sounds like you may have gotten a bad batch.

What I mean by double feeds is that it will try and chamber two rounds at once, both of them being live rounds. And it is a bcm built upper, that I placed on a sun devil lower

danieljmaunder
02-28-14, 22:58
Ok, midway is taking them back, so no harm really. Just kinda annoying

SoTex1
03-01-14, 21:24
I have 4 of the arc mags I wound up with somewhere along the way. I have no idea what round count is on them but they are in the regular rotation for training and matches and I have had no issues with them. Certainly not a great sample size or discerning experiments, but I've had good luck with mine.

danieljmaunder
03-01-14, 21:29
So, turns out after inspecting my upper again, my gas tube was bent. I guess I must have installed in incorrectly after cleaning it. My bad, I retested the magazines without issue.

Iraqgunz
03-01-14, 21:50
Can you please clarify this? Are you removing your gas tube when you clean your AR?

So, turns out after inspecting my upper again, my gas tube was bent. I guess I must have installed in incorrectly after cleaning it. My bad, I retested the magazines without issue.

danieljmaunder
03-01-14, 22:03
Can you please clarify this? Are you removing your gas tube when you clean your AR?

I don't normally do this, however I had fired some really dirty ammo and the whole thing was really gummed up so I removed the gas tube to clean it, and bent my gas tube reinstalling it. This is definately something I dont plan to do again

OH58D
03-01-14, 22:11
I have never found it necessary to remove a gas tube for cleaning. For that matter I avoid using low end or East Block ammo in the AR platform so it was never an issue.

danieljmaunder
03-01-14, 22:12
Neither do i usually, but i learned my lesson

Heavy Metal
03-01-14, 22:19
I have never cleaned my gas tube and I have shot some rock-gut ammo. Set it and forget it.

wildcard600
03-01-14, 23:47
new invention..... called a pipe cleaner.

alternatly fire some break free powder blast solvent via areosol down the tube when you clean.

ST911
03-02-14, 08:51
TD ARC mags are GTG. I use a few dozen without issue.

Your gas tube is cleaned each time you fire a round. There's no need to clean it. Don't put anything smaller than your elbow in your gas tube.

Make sure you do the right thing and let Midway know it was you not the mags, and cancel any process they started.

eternal24k
03-02-14, 09:18
As mentioned, the pressure of the gases from each shot essentially cleans the tube, I have never nor will I ever clean a tube.

As far as ARC mags, I had one. When they first came out and had the lip catch in the magwell after slamming it in during a carbine class, it took 3 hands to pull it out, after that no more for me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
03-02-14, 10:35
Please be aware that cleaning the gas tube or inside the carrier key with a pipe cleaner will not do anything more than cause you to support said manufacturer of those pipe cleaners. The only way to clean inside the gas tube is to remove it and soak it in a chemical that will break down the small amount of carbine build up.

new invention..... called a pipe cleaner.

alternatly fire some break free powder blast solvent via areosol down the tube when you clean.

RogerinTPA
03-02-14, 14:52
I don't normally do this, however I had fired some really dirty ammo and the whole thing was really gummed up so I removed the gas tube to clean it, and bent my gas tube reinstalling it. This is definately something I dont plan to do again

How did you draw that conclusion? Did you actually see the 'gummed' up residual or is it your SWAG?? I've shot 60K plus of Wolf, to include many carbine courses and without cleaning, with no significant issues.

danieljmaunder
03-02-14, 14:55
WHile I do have Swag, I saw the gummed up residue, and was beginning to have short stroking because not enough gas was reaching the carrier

RogerinTPA
03-02-14, 14:57
A SWAG is a 'scientific wild ass guess' and not a personality inventory. What ammo, by name were you shooting?

danieljmaunder
03-02-14, 15:10
Some reloads someone gave me, I have no clue what they were

Singlestack Wonder
03-02-14, 15:38
Problem found.....

danieljmaunder
03-02-14, 15:50
Yeah, I won't be shooting any free reloads again

discreet
03-02-14, 16:27
Yeah, I won't be shooting any free reloads again

Lol running unknown reloads is the fastest way to a kaboom IMO. Who knows if they were over or under charged, how many times the brass was reloaded, if they were sized up right etc.

Also, short stroking could have been caused to crap ammo, nothing to do with the gun being dirty.

brushy bill
03-02-14, 16:37
TD ARC mags are GTG. I use a few dozen without issue.

Your gas tube is cleaned each time you fire a round. There's no need to clean it. Don't put anything smaller in your gas tube than your elbow, as they say.

Make sure you do the right thing and let Midway know it was you not the mags, and cancel any process they started.

Found these very cheap on a number of sites, but was reluctant to purchase when I could get GI or Magpul similar price. May pick up a few based on this post.

wildcard600
03-02-14, 18:41
Please be aware that cleaning the gas tube or inside the carrier key with a pipe cleaner will not do anything more than cause you to support said manufacturer of those pipe cleaners. The only way to clean inside the gas tube is to remove it and soak it in a chemical that will break down the small amount of carbine build up.

I do the second part of my post once in a while.

the pipe cleaner suggestion was in the even that the OP wanted to do a "white glove inspection" cleaning session. Since I'm not held to that standard any longer nor getting pipe cleaners for free, I don't bother.