PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm done riding bikes for good. Friend got t-boned right in front of me.

Eurodriver
03-01-14, 17:31
Been tetering on selling my (4th) sportbike. Seems like every time I ride, something stupid happens to me or I do something stupid. I'm either almost getting run over by a Canadian snowbird, or I casually go in the passing lane to pass someone and I'm doing 100 MPH (It's really not that hard to get to 100), or I find myself surrounded by idiots doing stand up wheelies.

Anyway, today we were cruising down a 4 lane divided highway at the speed limit and I see my friend about 1/4 mile ahead of us get t-boned by a white Lincoln town car. Just...splat.

Dude flew in front of the car and rolled. Old lady that hit him didn't even stop, she went full retard and just slowly made her left turn and kept going at like 15mph tapping her brakes every once in a while. You could tell she was in shock over what happened and just didn't know what to do. Another friend chased her down and blocked her car and tried getting her out of the car. The cops actually showed up for this before the accident because 2 days ago a 91 year old lady was carjacked nearby so they thought it was a repeat.

After we made witness statements for the police and accompanied our buddy to the hospital (Who, thankfully, isn't in terrible shape.) I took my bike directly to the dealership I bought it from and sold it back. They gave me a pretty good offer.

I don't need that kind of drama in my life, being treated like an outlaw by the police, having people literally not give a shit about me, and risking my life every time I throw a leg over. Luckily the lady has insurance and $$$; better than being hit by a hoodrat or an illegal with no assets I suppose. (My friend doesn't have insurance on himself or through his motorcycle, which is legal in FL)

I'll stick to being a Eurodriver.

I don't know how you guys ride on the street on a regular basis. It's just insane. Looking back, I've had so many close calls I should have stopped years ago.

Heavy Metal
03-01-14, 17:47
Damn....I feel for cyclists....but I am not going to join them for the reason above.

montanadave
03-01-14, 17:50
Sorry for your friend's misfortune and pleased to hear his injuries are minor. I toyed with the notion of getting a bike a few years back (mini mid-life crisis, I suppose). Then I started to pay closer attention to the traffic around town and nixed the idea. Life's short enough. No need to put myself in the express lane.

WillBrink
03-01-14, 17:55
Said it before, say it again: it's not a matter of if but when. I love bikes, had dirt bikes as a kid (and the various scars to show for it...) and every spring I consider it, but I have known too many guys now gone due to bikes where it was not due to any fault of theirs. Bikes to me = chainsaw on wheels.

For some, the joy of the bike is worth the risks. Personally, I don't feel the risk/benefit is there, so I don't have one. I'd I was married with kids, I'd feel even stronger about that.

I hope your friend recovers quickly.

Heavy Metal
03-01-14, 17:57
I can see the allure if I was doing it out west amongst the vast, empty stretches. It isn't the Bike that scares me, it's other people.

C-grunt
03-01-14, 17:58
Glad your buddy is doing well. I've always wanted a bike but never did because of that reason. Being a cop Ive been to many bike crashes and many times the biker did nothing wrong. They get missed a lot by careless drivers and can be easily missed by good drivers as well.

Once I get my truck I'm thinking of picking up a dirt bike so I can ride out where there are no cars.

WillBrink
03-01-14, 18:03
I can see the allure if I was doing it out west amongst the vast, empty stretches. It isn't the Bike that scares me, it's other people.

Agreed. Me, I don't know an ER doc or paramedic who will go near a bike. I do know LEOs who ride bikes, but they are a few slices short of a sandwich anyway. :sarcastic:

mattg1024
03-01-14, 18:07
It isn't the Bike that scares me, it's other people.

Exactly why I sold mine. I miss it every summer, but the risk isn't worth the reward. Can't control other drivers.

I will say, I feel owning a bike has made me a much more aware driver in my truck.

mkmckinley
03-01-14, 18:25
I just lost a friend last year to something like this. I was considering getting a bike but that incident pretty much made up my mind against it. The worst part was the guy had survived a neck shot in Helmand on his last deployment. I guess you can't be lucky every time. Someone might be the best rider in the world but you can't control other drivers texting/eating/drunk or just not paying attention. Sorry to hear about your friend but I think you made a good decision to sell the bike.

Hmac
03-01-14, 18:52
Agreed, some people's driving style isn't suitable for owning a motorcycle, and the problem is magnified if the thing is being driven in an urban setting. The more intersections one has to ride through, the more danger. I've had at least one motorcycle in my garage for more than 40 years. They've all been cruisers, Harleys over the last 18. I've never been down, not even close. Sportbikes hold no appeal. In the risk/reward equation, the ratio doesn't work for me.

Agreed. Me, I don't know an ER doc or paramedic who will go near a bike. I do know LEOs who ride bikes, but they are a few slices short of a sandwich anyway. :sarcastic:

I know many. I've been a trauma surgeon for most of that 40 years. My closest friend and fellow Harley rider was a Paramedic, now is an Anesthesiologist and is our Director of EMS. I know more doctors that ride motorcycles than own concealable firearms. Doctors don't know everything.

TXBK
03-01-14, 19:00
Glad your buddy is doing well. I've always wanted a bike but never did because of that reason. Being a cop Ive been to many bike crashes and many times the biker did nothing wrong. They get missed a lot by careless drivers and can be easily missed by good drivers as well.

Once I get my truck I'm thinking of picking up a dirt bike so I can ride out where there are no cars.

That is where it is at. Then you only have to worry about hurting yourself. You don't have to go full-blown moto-x to have a good time. You could even look into cross country racing if you feel the need to go fast and compete. And that's without putting your bike in the air around 10-15 other idiots that don't have any business doing the same thing in the first place.

Ryno12
03-01-14, 19:26
I think there are 3 factors to consider when riding motorcycles:

1. Others-They will always exist. Not much you can do but pay attention.
2. Skill/ability-The more skill you possess, the more likely you are to keep your ass upright.
3. Maturity-The more you have, the more likely you are to keep your ass upright.

#1 is stacked against you right from the get-go. The closer to the city, the more people there are. The further out, the more animals come into play. Your defense is to always be alert.
The only factors a person has total control of is #2 & #3. If you lack either one, odds are against you. It doesn't matter the type of bike a person rides. Bagger, street or sportbike, they crash the same. If a person continuously finds themselves in trouble, they need to improve #2 or #3.

Good to hear your buddy will be alright.

Sent via Tapatalk

7.62WildBill
03-01-14, 19:27
I think you are making a wise move. I'm rapidly approaching 40, and the majority of bikers I know have broken bones riding (both on and off road).

For a daily driver, forget about a motorcycle. But for the occasional cruise in the country or ripping on a closed track, don't deny yourself the pleasure. Life is short and fragile, but some risks can be worth it. A buddy of mine's Grandpa was in his late 70's and rolling down the highway on his Harley on a gorgeous North Carolina blue sky afternoon with his long white ponytail blowing in the wind. Witnesses say he just pulled off on the shoulder and fell over. Not a scratch on the bike or himself; he died of a massive heart attack. He was a Korean war vet, boatbuilder, biker, etc, etc, etc...and he died doing what he loved. That's as good a death as anyone can hope for.

Trajan
03-01-14, 19:53
Eurodriver: I was interested in motorcycles for awhile but what helped me get out of even wanting one was mountain biking. You're in the woods alone or with a few friends, the bikes are light and obviously handle like a bicycle instead of a small civic, injuries are 100% you, and it's just really fun tearing through the woods making little to no sound (danger here is getting hit by deer, almost happened to me once).

Since I've picked up MTB, no desire whatsoever to get a motorcycle. Just wouldn't be as fun. Plus no 16 year old girls on cell phones to worry about.

Tzed250
03-01-14, 20:05
I personally knew 4 people killed while riding or racing and was with another who received paralyzingly injury while sport riding. It's a damn dangerous game.

Hmac
03-01-14, 20:13
I think there are 3 factors to consider when riding motorcycles:

1. Others-They will always exist. Not much you can do but pay attention.
2. Skill/ability-The more skill you possess, the more likely you are to keep your ass upright.
3. Maturity-The more you have, the more likely you are to keep your ass upright.

#1 is stacked against you right from the get-go. The closer to the city, the more people there are. The further out, the more animals come into play. Your defense is to always be alert.
The only factors a person has total control of is #2 & #3. If you lack either one, odds are against you. It doesn't matter the type of bike a person rides. Bagger, street or sportbike, they crash the same. If a person continuously finds themselves in trouble, they need to improve #2 or #3.

Some people have better defensive driving skills than others. Maybe that's part of #3, I don't know. As to that and the type of bike, I would take the position that anyone who would take a Sportbike up to 100 mph on city streets, intentionally or not, is someone who should not own a motorcycle. That's probably part of #3 too. In fact, it might be all #3. Let's just say that the more of #3 you have, the less of #2 you need.

Kyohte
03-01-14, 20:18
I see drivers do some wonderfully stupid things just driving my truck. I see even more stupidity when I'm on my bike. I have come to the conclusion that at least 75% of the population must have cheated on their driving examine. That's after counting out people on cell phones, eating, texting, doing make-up, etc. Remember when riding: "Everyone else is drunk and you're invisible".

This time of year tends to be bad for bikers. Most people who haven't ridden all winter are just getting back on and car drivers are still not used to seeing bikes on the road.

Glad your friend will be okay.

Devildawg2531
03-01-14, 20:31
I'm strongly considering getting my 1st bike. A Yamaha WR250 Enduro style. Married and kids and not a mid life crises but I've got tons of off road trails and the fact that it would be street legal and I'm in a rural area would be fun and practical. It would get like 70+mpg and would be really useful potentially in some SHTF situations. The injury risk definetely weighs on my mind but its only a 250 and I would be conservative in driving it. Thinking about it at this point.

tuck
03-01-14, 20:33
Threads like this remind me why I sold my Buell. I loved that bike and had a lot of fun with it, but in the end the risks out weighed the rewards. After I sold it I bought a muscle/classic car. I still get a dose of speed out of it while being a hell of a lot safer.

Eurodriver
03-01-14, 20:36
Some people have better defensive driving skills than others. Maybe that's part of #3, I don't know. As to that and the type of bike, I would take the position that anyone who would take a Sportbike up to 100 mph on city streets, intentionally or not, is someone who should not own a motorcycle. That's probably part of #3 too. In fact, it might be all #3. Let's just say that the more of #3 you have, the less of #2 you need.

On rural interstates the speed limit is 70 here. Most traffic is doing 75-80. On a liter bike if you kick it down to 4th gear and just gently twist the throttle to pass, you will be at 100 in 2 seconds. For comparison, If you knock it down to 2nd and ring its neck you will be at 140 in a hair longer and find your front wheel without traction. Its almost "hard" to ride slow.

Maybe I'm numb to it, but while 100 is definitely fast (I said it was a reason for getting rid of the bike) its pretty tame on the open road. I've seen guys hold 120 all day and do spurts of 160-170 on the bridges just because they know the only thing that can catch them are FHPs chargers (that aren't allowed to chase them) and the helicopter.

You see that enough and passing at 100 on the interstate becomes routine.

Ryno12
03-01-14, 20:37
Some people have better defensive driving skills than others. Maybe that's part of #3, I don't know.
"Defensive driving skills"... I would categorize as a skill.

As to that and the type of bike. I would take the position that anyone who would take a Sportbike up to 100 mph on city streets is someone who should not own a motorcycle. That's probably part of #3 too.In fact, it might be all #3.
I agree, but the same can be said about any bike, not just sportbikes. I've seen my share of dumbasses riding like idiots on Harley's & Goldwings too.

Let's just say that the more of #3 you have, the less of #2 you need.
I disagree. They're completely separate. Doing stand up wheelies in rush hour traffic lacks maturity, yet requires skill. Likewise, just because some gentlemen oozes with maturity doesn't mean he can get away with grabbing a handfull of front brake on a gravel road or wet pavement.

Sent via Tapatalk

Caeser25
03-01-14, 20:49
Same thing just happened to my best friend down by Fort Bliss. Luckily it was a soccer mom that hit him and not an illegal. Every winter I say I'm going to sell my bike and every spring I change my mind. I think this year will be the year though. Too many close calls over the years and too many idiots out there.

Hmac
03-01-14, 20:59
"Defensive driving skills"... I would categorize as a skill.

I agree, but the same can be said about any bike, not just sportbikes. I've seen my share of dumbasses riding like idiots on Harley's & Goldwings too.

I disagree. They're completely separate. Doing stand up wheelies in rush hour traffic lacks maturity, yet requires skill. Likewise, just because some gentlemen oozes with maturity doesn't mean he can get away with grabbing a handfull of front brake on a gravel road or wet pavement.

The idea is to have enough judgement that you won't ever have to "grab a handful of front brake".

I would categorize defensive driving as "judgement", not skill.

As Eurodriver said, the merest twitch of the wrist will have you accidentally over 100 mph. That adds a whole new dimension of potential stupidity to the motorcycle experience. You can't seriously equate an R-1 to a Heritage Softail in terms of speed/acceleration (accumulation of potential energy), the quickness with which you can get in trouble, nor the mindset/attitude of the typical rider of the respective models.

Do you have a lot of experience with motorcycles?

Kokopelli
03-01-14, 21:06
I did similar. I rode everyday and it seemed something crazy happened every few days. I was ran out of the road, off the Interstate, squashed at traffic lights in the city, you name it. One year I put the Z up for the winter and never got it out again. That was 1982..

Been tetering on selling my (4th) sportbike. Seems like every time I ride, something stupid happens to me or I do something stupid. I'm either almost getting run over by a Canadian snowbird, or I casually go in the passing lane to pass someone and I'm doing 100 MPH (It's really not that hard to get to 100), or I find myself surrounded by idiots doing stand up wheelies.

Anyway, today we were cruising down a 4 lane divided highway at the speed limit and I see my friend about 1/4 mile ahead of us get t-boned by a white Lincoln town car. Just...splat.

Dude flew in front of the car and rolled. Old lady that hit him didn't even stop, she went full retard and just slowly made her left turn and kept going at like 15mph tapping her brakes every once in a while. You could tell she was in shock over what happened and just didn't know what to do. Another friend chased her down and blocked her car and tried getting her out of the car. The cops actually showed up for this before the accident because 2 days ago a 91 year old lady was carjacked nearby so they thought it was a repeat.

After we made witness statements for the police and accompanied our buddy to the hospital (Who, thankfully, isn't in terrible shape.) I took my bike directly to the dealership I bought it from and sold it back. They gave me a pretty good offer.

I don't need that kind of drama in my life, being treated like an outlaw by the police, having people literally not give a shit about me, and risking my life every time I throw a leg over. Luckily the lady has insurance and $$$; better than being hit by a hoodrat or an illegal with no assets I suppose. (My friend doesn't have insurance on himself or through his motorcycle, which is legal in FL)

I don't know how you guys ride on the street on a regular basis. It's just insane. Looking back, I've had so many close calls I should have stopped years ago.

Ryno12
03-01-14, 21:22
Do you have a lot of experience with motorcycles?
I didn't question your experience & I'm not sure why you're questioning mine, but if you must know... I have little over 30 years experience riding. 10+ years roadracing, earning several championships including a National Championship. I've competed against individuals from Doug Chandler & Jamie James to Ben Spies & Josh Hayes.

Sent via Tapatalk

Hmac
03-01-14, 21:29
I didn't question your experience & I'm not sure why you're questioning mine, but if you must know... I have little over 30 years experience riding. 10+ years roadracing, earning several championships including a National Championship. I've competed against individuals from Doug Chandler & Jamie James to Ben Spies & Josh Hayes.

Sent via Tapatalk

Yeah, no clue who those guys are. My experience is all on the street. I ask about yours because your points are at variance with my observations both on the street and in the ER.

uffdaphil
03-01-14, 22:11
Got my first bike in '64 and my last '06. If I didn't have steel rods holding my fragile shoulder together (not bike related) I would still be in the saddle. Discovering that sliding around corners is more fun in the dirt, probably kept me alive.

The younger me felt that if you didn't go down occasionally, you were leaving too much performance on the table. But I was leaving too much skin on the pavement. Thank you dirt.

By the way, don't you love all the rocket jockeys foregoing gloves? learned the hard way about palms and instinct when landing face down. The guys tweezing gravel out in the ER were great teachers.

Belmont31R
03-01-14, 22:15
I sold my bike (GSXR600) after getting back to the states. Too many inattentive drivers here and police tend to treat many sport bike riders like shit just because of the type of bike.

Ryno12
03-01-14, 22:32
Yeah, no clue who those guys are. My experience is all on the street. I ask about yours because your points are at variance with my observations both on the street and in the ER.

I didn't expect that you would, nor does it matter.
My point was that I do have experience on both the street & track. I posted my opinion based on my experiences. You are free to disagree with it. I personally feel you're viewing it from a narrow perspective, despite your ER or street experience. You equate judgement to maturity and that's fine, however, what does that have to do with accident avoidance? Things happen, deer run out, cars run red lights. How does "judgment" play into that? Are you walking your motorcycle through intersections or driving 5 mph down country roads? Skill plays a bigger part in staying upright. If a deer runs out in front of you, do you brake the same going straight on dry pavement as you would around a curve in the wet? Do you have the reaction time to make that decision in time? What if you get ran off the road into a grassy field at 55 mph? Now how would you brake?
Good judgement can't prevent all bad situations and that's when you need skill the most.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
03-01-14, 22:39
I think someone who corners dragging a knee at high speed well enough to win championships might be qualified enough to speak about the subject. In turn, you might give him just a wee bit of deference, same as you might expect if he was questioning your experience in an ER.

Just sayin.

SteyrAUG
03-01-14, 23:30
1. Really glad, and amazed, that your friend is ok.

2. You are doing the right thing. Too many idiots in traffic. It's a shame you can't take a bike on an open road and not worry about your life but those days are gone.

xjustintimex
03-01-14, 23:35
Just the other day I saw a kid go down infront of me. Not is fault - car pulled out right infront of him and he got on his rear brake and laid it down. Unluckily it was on a frontage road and he got hit by the car behind him. I also saw the same thing happen to a guy last year but he went over the handle bars.

Hmac
03-02-14, 01:10
I didn't expect that you would, nor does it matter.
My point was that I do have experience on both the street & track. I posted my opinion based on my experiences. You are free to disagree with it. I personally feel you're viewing it from a narrow perspective, despite your ER or street experience. You equate judgement to maturity and that's fine, however, what does that have to do with accident avoidance? Things happen, deer run out, cars run red lights. How does "judgment" play into that? Are you walking your motorcycle through intersections or driving 5 mph down country roads? Skill plays a bigger part in staying upright. If a deer runs out in front of you, do you brake the same going straight on dry pavement as you would around a curve in the wet? Do you have the reaction time to make that decision in time? What if you get ran off the road into a grassy field at 55 mph? Now how would you brake?
Good judgement can't prevent all bad situations and that's when you need skill the most.

Sent via Tapatalk
I agree, good judgement can't prevent all bad situations. And certainly riding skill can play a role in keeping you upright. Best if you can have both.

Hmac
03-02-14, 02:40
On rural interstates the speed limit is 70 here. Most traffic is doing 75-80. On a liter bike if you kick it down to 4th gear and just gently twist the throttle to pass, you will be at 100 in 2 seconds. For comparison, If you knock it down to 2nd and ring its neck you will be at 140 in a hair longer and find your front wheel without traction. Its almost "hard" to ride slow.

Maybe I'm numb to it, but while 100 is definitely fast (I said it was a reason for getting rid of the bike) its pretty tame on the open road. I've seen guys hold 120 all day and do spurts of 160-170 on the bridges just because they know the only thing that can catch them are FHPs chargers (that aren't allowed to chase them) and the helicopter.

You see that enough and passing at 100 on the interstate becomes routine.

I think you made a wise decision in selling the bike.

Eurodriver
03-02-14, 06:36
I think you made a wise decision in selling the bike.

Totally agreed.

If I wasn't in suburbia I'd have a dirtbike or a supermoto for sure. Of course, living in suburbia doesn't stop everyone. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMQY6k16TU)

duece71
03-02-14, 06:50
One of the biggest reasons I won't ride a motorcycle, I can't control what the other drivers are doing. I do ride the peddle bike out on the road, so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite. Not only that, I have a family that depends on my paycheck and my job depends on me being medically qualified every 6 months. No thanks, too much to lose.

graffex
03-02-14, 08:11
I'm 29 and about 10 people I went to high school with have died since leaving school in motorcycle accidents. Always had the urge to get one but I never will. There are a abundance of morons, drunks, and oblivious drivers on the road.

JBecker 72
03-02-14, 08:24
Dude, get a supermoto. Mine barely breaks 90 and is way more responsive at normal speeds than a sport bike. It's very easy to get in trouble doing wheelies and jumping rail road tracks though. I don't really like sport bikes any more. Had a 600RR for a while, but this is more fun.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Bikes/huskypics419001.jpg

Safetyhit
03-02-14, 08:33
Luckily your friend came out whole. A known member here is in the midst of deciding between a new bike and a custom gun, since he's the father of a few children I'll text him this for consideration in case he isn't online this weekend.

WillBrink
03-02-14, 09:19
Agreed, some people's driving style isn't suitable for owning a motorcycle, and the problem is magnified if the thing is being driven in an urban setting. The more intersections one has to ride through, the more danger. I've had at least one motorcycle in my garage for more than 40 years. They've all been cruisers, Harleys over the last 18. I've never been down, not even close. Sportbikes hold no appeal. In the risk/reward equation, the ratio doesn't work for me.

I know many. I've been a trauma surgeon for most of that 40 years. My closest friend and fellow Harley rider was a Paramedic, now is an Anesthesiologist and is our Director of EMS. I know more doctors that ride motorcycles than own concealable firearms. Doctors don't know everything.

I don't think you'd eve get an argument from me on that, and my comments were tongue and cheek by nature there. :cool:

Devildawg2531
03-02-14, 10:01
Dude, get a supermoto. Mine barely breaks 90 and is way more responsive at normal speeds than a sport bike. It's very easy to get in trouble doing wheelies and jumping rail road tracks though. I don't really like sport bikes any more. Had a 600RR for a while, but this is more fun.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Bikes/huskypics419001.jpg

What bike and engine is that? I think the Yamaha WR 250 is what I'm going to get but I like the look of yours

BrigandTwoFour
03-02-14, 10:04
I'm glad your friend is OK. That's exactly why I sold my bike a year ago. Quite literally every rider I know has gotten into some accident with injuries ranging from shattered hands to death. I just decided it simply wasn't worth it.

I still get the hankering to go out for a ride on a nice day, but at least know I know I have a higher probability of being 'in tact' for my family in years to come.

BoringGuy45
03-02-14, 10:08
Well, this changed my mind pretty quickly.

I'd been kicking around getting a bike (when I can afford it) the past week or so. I told my wife and, while not opposed, she was not enthused. I might hold off now.

I'm still planning on getting an ATV sometime in the future though.

RHINOWSO
03-02-14, 10:09
Nothing wrong with being a Eurodriver. I love my 330I.

A friend of mine always tried to convince me to get a bike, tell me how I'd save money of gas, blah, blah, blah. He fortunately has had any accidents but did almost melt is bike - left it running in his garage after a couple months of not riding... Wife distracted him and his air cooled BMW bike didn't fare too well. Melted the gas tank and all sorts of other nonsense.

No thanks.

JBecker 72
03-02-14, 10:13
What bike and engine is that? I think the Yamaha WR 250 is what I'm going to get but I like the look of yours

That's an 09 Husky 450 SMR. It's a much higher maintenance bike than the Yamaha, but it's lighter and considerably more powerful. It also has better suspension and brakes as well.

JBecker 72
03-02-14, 10:14
Well, this changed my mind pretty quickly.

I'd been kicking around getting a bike (when I can afford it) the past week or so. I told my wife and, while not opposed, she was not enthused. I might hold off now.

I'm still planning on getting an ATV sometime in the future though.

Statistically ATVs are more dangerous than motorcycles.

skydivr
03-02-14, 10:17
Rhyo, I know who all those guys are :)

It's that time of the year - bikes start to come out as it warms up, and it takes a while for the general populace to remember they need to be looking. Happens every year. I'm so glad your friend walked away from it.

Next year will be my 40th year with a motorcycle in some form or another. It's a choice. I don't ride nearly as much on the street as I used to (my first trackday of the season is next weekend). I don't ride in town; I don't ride at night; and I don't ride when it's wet....riding on the racetrack really opened my eyes about just HOW dangerous the street can actually be.

Rule #1 - Remember, everybody out there IS trying to kill you...

But, then again, I jump out of airplanes for fun too....

Caduceus
03-02-14, 10:31

Hmm..You want to get me an interview for a residency position? :)

Interestingly, I don't know any EMS or ER docs that ride. I was an EMT for 8 years before med school, but haven't been in an ER setting for any appreciable length of time for the last few. Maybe it's a location thing - this was out in CA. I've picked up my share of bikers; the best was some guy pushing 80 that busted his bike on a hairpin turn. He was fine, but pissed b/c he knew his wife would probably nag him to stop riding.

Don Robison
03-02-14, 10:47
I gave up the sportbikes in 08 because I knew I was doing stupid stuff that would end badly. Went back to Harleys and never looked back. I still have idiots in cars that don't know how to drive try to take me out on occasion, got rearended in 09 sitting at a stop sign and couldn't go to avoid because of cross traffic , but for the most part cruisers have been way less drama than sportbikes. I gave up on bikes for about 5 years, but hated it.

Surf
03-02-14, 14:28
I grew up in the dirt then made a transition to road racing around 15 and been into street bikes since. I did the Harley thing in the early 90's but when the yuppie biker Harley craze hit I sold the FXR and went back to sport bikes. I finally sold my 1KRR this past year and picked up dirt bikes for the kids and we are getting heavy into it now. I will however say that I very much miss the thrill of the sport bike and haven't discounted the thought of getting another one and I am entering my late 40's. For street bikes I have been down a few times but those instances were always on a track in full gear. Ironically the most injury or getting busted up was always from dirt biking. I now have a Kawasaki KLX450R and I scare the shit out of myself more on that thing than I do on the road. In the dirt I constantly have to remind myself that I am no longer 18 years old. Part of it is probably chasing my 9 year old around on his KX65. Riding that damn 65 scares me more than my 450. ;)

TAZ
03-02-14, 17:13
You made he right choice. I rode for years. Thankfully I used the bike as a down payment on my first new car before I laid it over. They are fun, but in traffic and around people they are dangerous. You can control your own stupidity to a degree, but others brain farts are totally put of control.

My brother had Colin Edwards wife as a patient. One day when Mr. Edwards came in with his wife my bro talked bikes with him and showed him his Buel and asked what he rode. The reply was an eye opener to by bro. He was told that riding in traffic is crazy, paraphrasing of course. He too sold the bike shortly there after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hmac
03-02-14, 17:22
I see many horror stories in all sorts of human endeavors and if I lived my life being afraid of the many traumatic things that can happen to humans that I see first-hand, I'd be afraid to do anything. Lot's of ways to get hurt, lots of ways to get killed. We all make judgements about how we're going to live our lives. As a trauma surgeon for two rural hospitals and the Assistant Coroner for this county for more than 5 years, I've seen the aftermath and consequences of more motorcycle accidents than most of you put together. For me, the rewards of riding a motorcycle outweigh the risks and I'm confident that I have pretty good handle on what those risks are. I respect those of you for whom that equation doesn't calculate out the same way as it does for me.

FlyingHunter
03-02-14, 18:27
Former Paramedic, Current Physical Therapist, I see patients every year that have been injured from their motorcycle pursuits. They all remark with surprise that my office waiting area has HOG (Harley Owners Group) magazines. They find it almost contradictory that I ride. While few of my MD, PA, PT friends ride (even less are shooters), they understand my calculus with the risk reward equation. Many of my patients are fine one minute but not the next - car wreck, aneurysm, fall etc... and my perspective has been tempered to appreciate life is both precious and short and my goal is to squeeze as much joy as my short time will allow. I have been fortunate and grateful to have many miles and years of riding with no injury and while I drive with the utmost defensive approach, I understand tomorrow could be my day. Every person has to balance their own personal risk reward calc for any pursuit, I'm glad I've explored some things others deem too dangerous such as becoming a pilot, solo hunting in Alaska, etc...

One funny change I've made while riding my bike since the proliferation of smart phones. I used to ride behind the slow car in the right hand lane while on interstates. Now they all seem to be texting, surfing etc...while the riders in the left hand, while often speeding are actually driving and watching (for the police?) - but paying attention. I feel safer in the left hand lanes these days.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-02-14, 20:13

Agreed, and thats why a KTM 690SMC is in my distant future. I wont shoot down the road on a rocket, but I wont judge those that do. We assume risks when having fun, and life/liberty is all about weighing the risks with the reward. A feeling of ultimate freedom is a great reward, but being totally exposed is a great risk.

For now, I put around the dirt on this...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/DSC_0395_zpsb18d6026.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/glockfire/media/DSC_0395_zpsb18d6026.jpg.html)

SeriousStudent
03-02-14, 20:37
Sorry to hear about your friend, but glad to read he's not badly hurt.

I quit riding motorcycles about 25 years ago. I was slow to get the hint, and it took multiple little old ladies for the message to sink in. I'm good at weather predictions, though. :p

But every day above ground is a victory, you risk your life just breathing air these days.

JBecker 72
03-02-14, 20:43
Agreed, and thats why a KTM 690SMC is in my distant future.

I would love to have a 690 SMC. They are really pricey though.

3 AE
03-03-14, 15:21
Glad to hear your friend will be OK. Your decision to quit riding must have been a tough one especially since you get so much enjoyment out of it. Me thinks you've chosen wisely. Remember when the only things distracting a driver was the radio, the nagging wife, and the kids in the back seat going bonkers? Well today just add talking on cell phones, texting, surfing the internet on their smartphones, cranking up the volume on the music, and the increase of the number of vehicles on the road.

Several years ago I was out in the country riding my bicycle. Came up to a intersection just ahead of a car that approached the intersection on my left. I proceeded into the intersection and was almost t-boned by the driver. She got out of her car and apologized profusely claiming she didn't even see me. Even though I was wearing a yellow vest and helmet just to be conspicuous. When I asked her how could she NOT have seen me she shook her hear and said she didn't know but that she honestly didn't see me. Later on I looked into this and found studies that suggest car drivers tend to recognize cars and trucks because that's what they normally see day in and day out. Their brain acknowledges a large object that is like a large shoebox in shape without having to recognize details or color. Throw in the occasional bicyclist or motorcyclist or even a pedestrian into the mix and there's a good chance the driver just doesn't pick up on that shape that is tall, narrow, and small. The conscious brain just took a momentary nap. How many times we've heard a driver claim "I didn't even see him." or "He came out of nowhere."? Throw in some other distractions and the combination is going to weaken a drivers focus and awareness.

Another factor is the age of the driver. Senior citizens are the fastest growing segment of our population. More and more of them are still driving and driving to a later age. You can bet that a lot of them are on prescription medicine for all the common maladies of old age. If they have forgotten to take their meds or have taken meds in combinations that they shouldn't have, well you know that isn't going to help matters much when it comes to being a good driver. It's only going to get worse as the population increases. If I could afford an APC to get around town, I would!

As I gaze into the crystal ball, since you've sold your bike, I see many purchases in your future. Hmmmm.... I see the letters BCM, KAC, LMT, DD, KMR, BMW. Though I fail to grasp their significance! :sarcastic:

brickboy240
03-03-14, 15:53
I have a dirt bike, an ATV and several mt bikes. None ever see pavement.

In the age of the cell phone...you will NOT catch me riding any 2 wheeled machine on the roadways. People are paying way too much attention to their phones and ZERO to smaller vehicles like motorcycles and bicycles.

-brickboy240

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-03-14, 16:34
May I recommend a truck or suv/trailer and a dirt bike? Riding trails in Florida is a helluva lot of fun, especially coastal areas. Get a 450 or bigger if you really know your way around a bike.

Bulletdog
03-03-14, 23:37
I rode a CBR600 for 22 years. Had a few close calls, but nothing bad ever happened. I have to agree with Ryno's list. Lot's of guys that I knew are now dead because they fell short on one of those 3 key elements. I toyed with the idea of selling my bike frequently during that 22 year span, but I just enjoyed it far too much. There is nothing like it. While driving my truck one day recently, I watched a lady run a red light and plow into a guy on a bike about 100 yards in front of me. He died instantly. That was the third time I had actually watched a guy die on a bike, not to mention all the people I know personally that died on days when I wasn't there to see it. This latest guy had been home for about two weeks from his second tour in Afghanistan. He was a Marine. I took my hat off, and left it off for him that day. When I got home my young daughter squealed with joy, "DADDYYYYYYY!!!!!", as she leapt into my arms as she usually does upon my return home. My eyes were still red and puffy from that Marine, although they were dry now. It was that day that I finally decided that my daughter's usual greeting meant more to me than having fun on my bike. I sold it the next week and got good money for it too. Not a day goes by that I don't miss it. I stare a jealous stare at other riders out on their bikes, but then I just look over at my daughter and realize that I came out ahead on this trade. That was only a couple of years ago. To this day, I still smirk a little when I think about it. I feel like I dodged a bullet, or maybe I cheated death for all those years. I feel like I got away with something...

And BTW, you are not any safer on the dirt. I've seen several guys die or get paralyzed on the dirt too. I've had more injuries and crashes on the dirt by far. I was 30 feet away from the one and only Supercross fatality in San Diego. That was just a freak accident, but they did not remove that guy from the track for treatment. They removed a dead body from the track that day. He was dead before the medical team even got to him.

I don't fault anyone for choosing to ride, and I don't fault anyone for choosing not to. I understand both sides and I support both sides.

Eurodriver
03-04-14, 09:29
Saw my friend in the hospital.

He's got a broken ankle (he was wearing tennis shoes) some serious road rash (and shorts and a t-shirt) and has multiple broken bones in both of his hands (no gloves). Luckily he was wearing a lid so he had no concussion or brain damage at all.

It took me months to get him to wear a helmet, I got the typical "I'm just cruising man, I don't plan on going down." nonsense from him. So I feel really good I spent that time and effort to get him to at least throw a lid on. I tried getting him to wear more gear but with temps here in the mid-90s 6 months out of the year there was no way I was winning that battle.

Personally, I can't even be comfortable on a bike without a minimum of helmet, gloves, and jeans.

Ryno12
03-04-14, 09:55
Personally, I can't even be comfortable on a bike without a minimum of helmet, gloves, and jeans.

That's good. Being dead is worse than being hot.
I've taken my share of tumbles, some at high speed, all in full gear of course. I walked away from every one of them (knock on wood). I can still hear the sound my helmet made during one particular crash. It's almost nauseating thinking about what the results had been without wearing one.
My worst accident ever on a motorcycle, was on a KX250. Admittedly, I was riding a bit beyond my skill level. However, I don't buy into people saying a sportbike or any bike, is more dangerous than another. That's like saying an AR is more dangerous than other types of guns. The safety is between your ears & the operator determines how dangerous the motorcycle is going to be. If I HAD to pick a type of bike that is safer than another, I'd say the opposite of everyone else. I feel that a sportbike would be safer than the others based on the fact they tend to be lighter, handle better, brake better & accelerate better than any cruiser or touring bike out there. If someone says they "feel safer on a Harley", they have a false sense of security.
That's just my opinion.

Sent via Tapatalk

streck
03-04-14, 10:23
I rode a bike as primary transport for most of my active duty time starting in the early 90s. I had a very nice 1986 Honda VFR750 that was painted in the Castrol colors of Aaron Slight. I was a huge WSB, AMA Superbike, and 500GP fan. The wreck of Wayne Rainey was a pivotal moment that made me reevaluate how I rode. I really cut back on the street shenanigans. And still I moments where I was almost killed but idiot drivers in cages. I distinctly remember a woman pulling out and turning left while looking right. I was able to aggressively slow and swerve behind her. That left me shaking for a good half hour afterward.
I had plenty of close calls of my own making as well....

I thought about getting back into it a few years ago but decided not to. I'm married now with two sons....

militarymoron
03-04-14, 10:29
this is a good reality check thread. i've been a sportbike rider for about 17 years now, and have been down about 5 times (4 times in the canyons and once in the street when a lady pulled out right in front of me). i'm in full leathers anytime i'm out in the canyons, and never without a jacket (mesh for summer) or long pants, no matter how hot. i've been saved from more serious injuries by my protective equipment, but even so have had bruises, shattered wrist, fractured ankle, fractured ribs.

i ride much less often now (no commuting, only for pleasure) and definitely don't push it the way i did before i had my son. i'd have to agree the combination of maturity and skill are very important in staying up/alive. don't do stupid stuff, and when someone else does, the skill may help you get out of it.

the best thing i did for riding was go to the keith code superbike school, and do a bunch of track days to get the speed bug out of me in a controlled environment. it made me ride slower in the canyons, actually.

it's more about what you do/how you ride than what bike you own, IMHO. a moped can get you killed.

Ryno12
03-04-14, 11:10
a moped can get you killed.
No doubt about it. I'm not too proud to deny ever crashing my Zuma on a couple occasions, solely due to a lack of better judgement on my part. ...but that's a story for another time. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

montanadave
03-04-14, 11:43
My wife had the pleasure of performing CPR in a roadside ditch a couple of months back. Rural highway, guy on a bike making a left turn, and a following car not braking in time. When my wife came home to clean up, she told me the story and I asked if the guy on the motorcycle made it. "Well, he had a pulse when EMS loaded him up," she replied, "but he was missing a good part of his head."

No helmet=Organ donor

Hmac
03-04-14, 11:48
However, I don't buy into people saying a sportbike or any bike, is more dangerous than another. That's like saying an AR is more dangerous than other types of guns. The safety is between your ears & the operator determines how dangerous the motorcycle is going to be. If I HAD to pick a type of bike that is safer than another, I'd say the opposite of everyone else. I feel that a sportbike would be safer than the others based on the fact they tend to be lighter, handle better, brake better & accelerate better than any cruiser or touring bike out there. If someone says they "feel safer on a Harley", they have a false sense of security.
That's just my opinion.

Sent via Tapatalk

My opinion is different. Partly because the mindset of your typical Power Ranger tends to be different ie more aggressive. And an aggressive motorycyle rider is an accident waiting to happen. All that power...lets just twist that wrist just a little more..., and the other is that the speed and quickness of your typical crotch rocket is far more likely to get you into trouble...and fast...than the need to get you out of trouble. I think of the number of sportbike riders I've seen losing the bike going into a turn because they can't brake fast enough, or going off the high side of a turn because they misjudged their speed and ability to brake, or the guys who blast off from a stoplight and lose control by the next stoplight, or the (fortunately rare) guys who are really cooking and get run off the road by someone going the speed limit and pulling out into the bike's lane to pass. The speed and quickness of those crotch rockets gives a false sense of security. A little speed, a little quick handling, and they think they can get out of most jams. The results of that line of thinking are to often tragic.\

Just my opinion.

skydivr
03-04-14, 12:03
No gloves, no boots, tsk tsk...Euro, you saved his life by getting him to wear a helmet.

I've got both a Harley and a Sportbike. While I agree with HMAC that the potential is there with Sportbike riders to get into more trouble, I've seen just as many Harley riders go down, and most of the time they are inadequately dressed for the occassion.

P.S. I wish I could AFFORD the Code school - but I sure do like my trackdays!!! Will be at Barber in Birminham for the first one of the season this weekend :)

Ryno12
03-04-14, 12:53
My opinion is different. Partly because the mindset of your typical Power Ranger tends to be different ie more aggressive. And an aggressive motorycyle rider is an accident waiting to happen. All that power...lets just twist that wrist just a little more..., and the other is that the speed and quickness of your typical crotch rocket is far more likely to get you into trouble...and fast...than the need to get you out of trouble. I think of the number of sportbike riders I've seen losing the bike going into a turn because they can't brake fast enough, or going off the high side of a turn because they misjudged their speed and ability to brake, or the guys who blast off from a stoplight and lose control by the next stoplight, or the (fortunately rare) guys who are really cooking and get run off the road by someone going the speed limit and pulling out into the bike's lane to pass. The speed and quickness of those crotch rockets gives a false sense of security. A little speed, a little quick handling, and they think they can get out of most jams. The results of that line of thinking are to often tragic.\

Just my opinion.
You're having trouble separating the motorcycle from the rider.
Everything you said falls on the judgement and/or skills of the operator & has nothing to do with the mechanical equipment itself. You yourself even said "mindset". That's with the individual. A sportbike ( "crotch rocket" for the less informed) will outperform any cruiser/touring bike, all day/everyday in defensive maneuvers. They are also just as capable of doing the speed limit as any other motorcycle. You can't deny for one minute, that a sportbike will brake quicker & shorter than a typical cruiser. In a situation where another motorist pulls out in front of you, you WILL stop in a shorter distance and have a better chance of avoiding an accident on sportbike vs anything else traveling at the same speed. There is NOTHING you're Harley does better at (performance wise) than any sportbike.
You're stereotyping the sportbike crowd. I would agree with the assessment that statically more accidents probably happen on sportbikes but that's only due to the type of individuals controlling it, not the bike itself. Is your opinion that guns kill people or the people behind the trigger, kill people? Throttles don't twist themselves.

Sent via Tapatalk

Hmac
03-04-14, 13:19
You're stereotyping the sportbike crowd.

Yes. I confess that I'm stereotyping the sportbike rider. A sportbike sitting in the garage won't ever hurt anyone. Very cool machine. Pinnacle of motorcycle engineering. It's after the rider gets on that it becomes dangerous. The general run of sportbike rider is likely to be more dangerous to himself and others, I contend. Mindset, age group, maturity, whatever.

Ryno12
03-04-14, 13:35
The general run of sportbike rider is likely to be more dangerous to himself and others, I contend.
If there's any silver lining to that, consider it to be job security. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Hmac
03-04-14, 14:41
If there's any silver lining to that, consider it to be job security. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Yeah. In this resort area, people have a wide variety of ways to harm themselves. The worst weekends tend to be the five Central Roadracing Association races held locally. The racers are usually good for a fracture or three, but the level of stupidity from many of the attendees and their bikes is what keeps the ER busy. As opposed to the 3 or 4 Harley rallies, where we don't see the motorcycle accidents. They get injured in the bar fights instead. Speaking of stereotypes.

RogerinTPA
03-04-14, 14:56
I can relate. I've been knocked off my bike so many times by little old people in tennis shoes, wearing those welder's goggles with no peripheral vision, that won't turn their head or check the mirror before changing lanes, that it's not even funny. There are way too many retired 80 somethings in my area who don't signal or hear your horn, then aggressively whip into the lane anyway. A few years ago, a old guy with dementia ran the toll booth on the sunshine sky-way bridge. It was at night and raining. The state police rolled and stopped him. They found half of a man's torso embedded in the right side of the windshield, and he didn't remember it happening. That's FL driving for you.

Ryno12
03-04-14, 14:58
The racers are usually good for a fracture or three...
I would suspect that fractured clavicles would be amongst the more popular of injuries. It was not uncommon to see competitors throughout the paddock wearing figure eights.
I, myself, am fortunate in that I've never broken a bone.

Sent via Tapatalk

Caeser25
03-04-14, 16:27
That's good. Being dead is worse than being hot.
I've taken my share of tumbles, some at high speed, all in full gear of course. I walked away from every one of them (knock on wood). I can still hear the sound my helmet made during one particular crash. It's almost nauseating thinking about what the results had been without wearing one.
My worst accident ever on a motorcycle, was on a KX250. Admittedly, I was riding a bit beyond my skill level. However, I don't buy into people saying a sportbike or any bike, is more dangerous than another. That's like saying an AR is more dangerous than other types of guns. The safety is between your ears & the operator determines how dangerous the motorcycle is going to be. If I HAD to pick a type of bike that is safer than another, I'd say the opposite of everyone else. I feel that a sportbike would be safer than the others based on the fact they tend to be lighter, handle better, brake better & accelerate better than any cruiser or touring bike out there. If someone says they "feel safer on a Harley", they have a false sense of security.
That's just my opinion.

Sent via Tapatalk

Completely agree. I always wore boots, jeans, riding jacket, gloves and a helmet, even when its hot as hell out. Sliding across the pavement would be much hotter. They're definitely the most agile bikes out there, the smaller ones anyways. I wish they made something smaller than 600 inline 4. A lighter 350-400 inline 4 would be the shit.

I heard about a kid I went to high school with wrecked @ 140+ in flip flops, basketball shorts and a tank top. Lost half his fingers and his nose. They were ground down on the pavement. Skin grafts galore.

ra2bach
03-04-14, 17:18

your first problem is riding in traffic. I know it's unavoidable for some people but that's where I draw the line. I live on the north end of town and all my riding has me leaving my driveway and heading away from downtown. I know I can ride well enough that I'm probably not going to be the cause of my own accident but you're never 100% safe with other traffic on the road.

I always ride with the thought that everyone on the road is trying to kill me and damn if some of them don't try...

El Cid
03-04-14, 17:42
Eurodriver - hope your friend recovers quickly and to 100%. Only way I'd ride a motorcycle is if there was a town where they were the only things allowed on the street.

Of course the other problem that is rampant in Florida are the older drivers. They really need to retest them past a certain age and not be afraid to revoke DL's. Sadly the AARP lobbies to prevent this and that leaves it up to families to police their own grandparents, etc.

CarlosDJackal
03-04-14, 19:36
Sorry about your friend. There is a reason I gave away my Sports-Touring Bike almost 14-ywars ago and basically gave up riding. I decided that spending time at the range is much safer after a squirrel in a crotch rocket almost ran me off the road into a guardrail and over a 20-foot cliff.

CarlosDJackal
03-04-14, 19:41
your first problem is riding in traffic. I know it's unavoidable for some people but that's where I draw the line. I live on the north end of town and all my riding has me leaving my driveway and heading away from downtown. I know I can ride well enough that I'm probably not going to be the cause of my own accident but you're never 100% safe with other traffic on the road.

I always ride with the thought that everyone on the road is trying to kill me and damn if some of them don't try...

I know someone who had the same attitude. They were convinced that as long as they stayed vigilant and assumed that everyone else on the road was trying to hit them they would be alright. Until that one day when a car slammed them into the car in front of them while they were stopped at stop sign. They saw it coming but they had nowhere to go except off the bike.

Belmont31R
03-04-14, 20:15
I know someone who had the same attitude. They were convinced that as long as they stayed vigilant and assumed that everyone else on the road was trying to hit them they would be alright. Until that one day when a car slammed them into the car in front of them while they were stopped at stop sign. They saw it coming but they had nowhere to go except off the bike.

I won't ride here. Period. Europeans are used to all the scooter traffic and just are better drivers. I rode here after I got back and decided it wasn't worth it. Granted I was still AD at the time and that made it that much worse. Still have my M endorsement and would love a little scoot me around bike but just always have that thought with people around here. Was my peak riding to Frankfurt Airport and back on unrestricted bahn and rides up the Rhein. Take a ferry across and ride back the opposite way with a nice meal on the way.

FlyingHunter
03-04-14, 20:39
Hope your friend has a speedy and complete recovery.

I did find that my driving style became more conservative when I switched to Harley's from sportbikes. While both can be dangerous, the mindset seems to shift to "cruiser" style.

ra2bach
03-05-14, 13:23

no I didn't say you would be alright. the fact is too many car drivers are not safe to be on the road with even other cars, but even a relatively minor fender bender in a car can be a life ender on a bike. we used to say "it's not the crash that will kill you, it's the dumbass in the car that runs over you"... traffic is everywhere on paved roads so that's not reasonable to expect you can avoid it. but riding away from congested areas with turns and traffic lights, and multiple lanes will improve your chances...

JusticeM4
03-06-14, 04:02
Euro, sorry to hear about your friend's crash. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

I've been a rider for about 8yrs now, all sportbikes in the Supersport category. Living in a big metropolitan city in Central FL can be tricky and outright dangerous. The key is to pick and choose your battles wisely; wear full gear at all times, ride defensively and maturely, and minimize your city riding if possible.

Now I only ride on weekends and away from traffic, usually outside the city. Always wear full gear esp helmet, jacket, gloves, and pants.
Never underestimate the stupidity of other drivers--always predict that they don't see you.

Another thing that has helped me calmed down through the years are trackdays. If you like sportbikes or would like to get into one, trackdays are your safest route. It will also increase your skill and riding ability ten-fold, while at the same time keeping you away from other vehicles on the road.

Eurodriver
03-09-14, 07:34
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/3/9/bradenton_motorcycli.html

William William Mitchell, 90, of Bradenton was headed in the opposite direction and attempted to turn left onto 106th Street West. Mitchell failed to yield to the motorcycle’s right of way, and the car and bike collided, investigators said.

Absolutely ridiculous. At what point does someone look at a 90 year old's drivers license and say well......

Campbell
03-09-14, 08:43
Euro, I hope your friend has a speedy recovery...been on the dirt my whole life, and on the street as soon as legal. I have never been on the street a single day without a close call of a serious nature. I have low-sided a few times with minimal injuries-wearing the gear has saved me a lot of skin. At 47 I still ride a super-moto, and I love motorcycles like nothing else, but even being skilled/wiser in my riding does little to erase the threat from cars.
Guns, motorcycles, chainsaws, even driving your car daily, there are so many risks in life...I saw my cousin go through this with his best friend, when he answered an EMT call and it was the death of his riding buddy in a horrific accident...changed him forever. I wish your whole riding group the best.

wild_wild_wes
03-09-14, 11:45
The first dead guy I saw was a motorcyclist.

JusticeM4
03-09-14, 18:14
The first dead guy I saw was a motorcyclist.

Are you serious? Or do you mean the first guy you actually see die in front of you was a rider?

I've seen plenty of dead people (work at the hospital w/ 8yrs in ER). I've seen more people die of heart attacks and other injuries vs motorcycles.

Bolt_Overide
03-10-14, 12:52
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/3/9/bradenton_motorcycli.html

Absolutely ridiculous. At what point does someone look at a 90 year old's drivers license and say well......

"Charges are pending, troopers said."

Those better include vehicular manslaughter.

Alex V
03-10-14, 18:17
A former racing buddy (drag racing cars, not bikes) died in a bike crash on March 1. He and I had a falling out back in 2004ish and had some heated words but I still feel bad for his family.

18 year old girl in an SUV pulled out in front of him without looking and that was that.

I always wanted a bike, but the more insidents like this I see, the more my mind changes.

Eurodriver
03-10-14, 19:16
"Charges are pending, troopers said."

Those better include vehicular manslaughter.

I've checked, and there are no charges pending against anyone in the state of Florida with his name and age. (The article is messed up. His realy name is William H. Mitchell)

He's probably still driving.

The lady who hit my friend got a ticket for failure to yield right of way and drove on her merry way. I just wish some of these cagers rode motorcycles. I'd love to swerve into a few of them just to see how it feels. Just a few weeks ago a 70 year old lady backed over a crowd of people and killed 3. A while before that, an old man drove his minivan into a gas station. This shit happens all the time but the politicians fear the condo commandos more than dead people.

Leaveammoforme
04-01-14, 21:16
I sold my last bike about 1.5 years ago. I consider myself an experienced & very lucky ex-biker. Never once went down on street. Not to say I was overly cautious only around the block weekend rider. Me and my buds all rode sport bikes with only a couple 6's and 750's mixed in. Majority of us were on liter bikes. Always armored from at least waist up. We would meet up every thursday & head to 'bike night' in dallas. This entailed stand up wheelies and all the other shenanigans. I have had the pleasure of dragging some of my buddies limp (may as well been smoked) bodies from the street with screeching tires , horns blaring & cars swerving all around. This is a risk you take when acting well within your skill set but outside of other peoples mindset. Point being- You stand up at 80 mph and doofus in a car slams brakes not knowing what's going on & causes a pile up behind himself.

We would block traffic ( at speed limit) for each other when trying new things. This let the people in the cars realize something was fixing to happen & they would not over react when somebody was skiing behind their own bike. My soft spot was little kids glued to the window of a car beside me. I would do something and they would go nuts bouncing around with their parents scared crapless. We had a good relationship w/dallas PD. We would not run & in turn they would give us a tongue lashing and send us on our way. At times PD would send the helicopter. Several times we just waved it off.

I'm not saying all this trying to sound cool or hardcore. I'm just trying to convey how big a part of my life biking was. With law changes ,I slowly started calming down to where riding wasn't fun to me any more. I have some tank cam videos of the fun that I still watch from time to time. I have the opposite problem that most married guys have. My wife WANTS me to get another bike. She has said I seem different without one. Guess I lost 'bad boy' points or something with her. I probably will get another bike some day but I'm in no rush.

Hope your friend is doing better now. Don't give up on biking all together. Wave at bikes as they pass (just not harleys with no helmets!) Keep your head on a swivel and enjoy the ride.