PDA

View Full Version : Glock 42 Failure to chamber 2nd round

Dump1567
03-01-14, 20:43
So after putting a couple of magazines of ball ammo without problems through my Glock 42, I wanted to try some hollow point ammo. After an internet search, I found a video that showed good results with anything loaded with the Hornady XTP bullet. I ordered two boxes of HPR which is loaded with the XTP.

Today I took the 42 to the range. Loaded the mag, chambered a round, and topped off the mag. Everytime I fired it, the first round in the mag would not chamber. The chambered round would fire, and than I'd get a click when I pulled the trigger, as the first round in the mag didn't chamber. This happed all 4 times I tried it with both magazines. For comparison, I had my LCP. It had no issues at all with this HPR ammo. Also, every round after the first in the mag chambered and fired.

I'm assuming the pressure from the loaded mag is slowing down the slide? I've got both mags loaded right now to take off the spring tension.
Should I try +P .380 ammo? More break-in to loosen up the dual recoil spring?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

****************Update*****************

Shot without any problems using Precision One's XTP bullet loaded ammo. This was Hickok45's top recommended .380 ammo on his .380 ammo Quest video using FBI's standards. :)

TomMcC
03-01-14, 20:48
Could be the HPR ammo. I've seen some of their 9 & 45 with bullets seated at different depths within the same box. Seems like sketchy QC. It sounds like it's under-powered for the weapon......like you said.....causing slide drag.

___TomB___
03-01-14, 21:51
Another mitigation of slide friction is to ensure that your thumb is not riding on the slide.

Sent via Tapatalk

ST911
03-02-14, 09:10
Did the trigger reset? Striker is firing, not a dead trigger?
Fired case extracts and ejects completely?
Did the top round move at all, or make any visible attempt at feeding?
Did you try loading the gun 5+1? Any change?
Did you try any ammo from a major manufacturer or other known commodity? XTP can be found from Hornady and BHA as well.

Most likely possibilities-

You're hitting the mag release, dropping it below the pickup rail.
You're riding the slide, prevent sufficient movement to pick up the next round.

Dump1567
03-02-14, 10:24
Did the trigger reset? Striker is firing, not a dead trigger?
Fired case extracts and ejects completely? Yes
Did the top round move at all, or make any visible attempt at feeding? Not that I'm aware of
Did you try loading the gun 5+1? Any change? Worked fine this way
Did you try any ammo from a major manufacturer or other known commodity? XTP can be found from Hornady and BHA as well. Ordered some other loaded XTP ammo to try.
Most likely possibilities-

You're hitting the mag release, dropping it below the pickup rail. Don't think that was the issue
You're riding the slide, prevent sufficient movement to pick up the next round. I'm a lefty, so probably not the issue

I think it might be an issue of underpowered ammo and limp wristing. I have big hands, so the grip is hard to hold. Also the dual recoil spring may be playing a factor.

teutonicpolymer
03-02-14, 10:54
I think it might be an issue of underpowered ammo and limp wristing. I have big hands, so the grip is hard to hold. Also the dual recoil spring may be playing a factor.

I do not think limp wristing is as common a problem for glocks as people rumor it to be. I have also bought hpr ammo (albeit in different calibers) and it felt fairly consistent although the overall length was cutting it pretty close for some of my mags.

it honestly sounds like the magazine. I hate taking apart glock factory mags but I think it might help if you checked the inners of the 42 mags.

I believe other people have had similar issues with the 42- I think even Jerry Miculek in his glock 42 video had consistent problems with the 2nd round

Glock30
03-02-14, 11:05
Ammo? Here is one with Barnes XDP 80gr :blink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKsE8jKq5Ck

discreet
03-02-14, 11:38
Did you bother to try different ammo? That is the first thing I'd do. Issues with one type of ammo, throw in a different type. Issues with Hornady hollow points, throw in a differnt brand hollow point. If issue started when you put ammo in, especially from a company known to put out crap ammo... well that's where I'd personally start.

Dual recoil spring should have nothing to do with it. Point is you said you were firing rounds down range fine... until you switched ammo
Also, just because your LCP eats something, doesn't mean your glock will. They don't even remotely compare in terms of testing function etc

Dump1567
03-02-14, 12:03
Did you bother to try different ammo? That is the first thing I'd do. Issues with one type of ammo, throw in a different type. Issues with Hornady hollow points, throw in a differnt brand hollow point. If issue started when you put ammo in, especially from a company known to put out crap ammo... well that's where I'd personally start.

Dual recoil spring should have nothing to do with it. Point is you said you were firing rounds down range fine... until you switched ammo
Also, just because your LCP eats something, doesn't mean your glock will. They don't even remotely compare in terms of testing function etc

I'm waiting on a couple of different ammos to come in before I get back to the range.

SPDGG
03-02-14, 12:36
fwiw:
Any semi platform that is "micro" pocket carry size you have to try a few ammunition variances out before finding a few or sometimes one you know will perform as intended.

Smaller the platform: Pickier it gets
- Bullet Profile
- Energy to properly operate slide: Eject & Feed
- Accuracy

LtDave
03-02-14, 22:43
I tried some of the HPR ammo in my G42 and had a stovepipe with the first round. The remaining ones functioned the gun ok but felt softer than normal. The other problematic rounds in my gun were Privi ball that wouldn't even extract the fired cases, I had to hand cycle all of them. My G42 also doesn't like +P rated stuff and will lock the slide open randomly with that Buffalo Bore and Underwood +P. Everything else runs great and is very accurate.

Dump1567
03-03-14, 08:15
I've got some Precision One ammo coming to try out. In fact I have most major manufactures SD loads I can try.

ST911
03-03-14, 11:36
When function testing guns or diagnosing problems, use ammunition from domestically produced major and known-good manufacturers who are making ammunition on major contracts, rather than the designer houses. The former offer a more consistent and predictable standard, can assist with their own performance data, have a body of other user data in the open that can be referenced, and have more accountability behind them.

All others thereafter.

PaLEOjd
03-03-14, 13:59
Could be the HPR ammo. I've seen some of their 9 & 45 with bullets seated at different depths within the same box. Seems like sketchy QC. It sounds like it's under-powered for the weapon......like you said.....causing slide drag.

I experienced this last week with my XDs .45. Most of the ammo was fine but there were a few that the bullets were seated much deeper in the case and would not chamber. It seems to be a common problem with that ammo for some reason.
My 1911 did not have an issue wit hthe rounds that would not chamber in the XDs. Not sure what the reason was but they all chambered fine from loaded magazines in the larger pistol.

Dump1567
03-14-14, 14:02
first post updated