PDA

View Full Version : /////

South
03-02-14, 04:05
/////

plouffedaddy
03-02-14, 07:04
Hi, all. I just bought my first AK, a SGL 31. I have some questions that I need some advice on.

For what ever stupid reason, when I had it field stripped, I misunderstood and thought to re-assemble everything I had to dry fire it. So I did this with no carrier in the firearm, and only then realized that I was stupid, and that there was no need to do this. Did I hurt anything by doing this?

No, but it's not a good idea as you stated.
Second, I purchased a Surefire SF3P-556-M24x1.5 to install on it. It didn't come with any shims, but I will be calling Surefire about them, but given the application I am using this for, will the shims be the best thing to use? Also, when would I use the chamfered spacer, that comes with the shim kit?

Lastly, I have included pictures below, but this is as far as the SF3P will install on my SGL, I know it's not timed, but it will be. Is this going to cause any issues? It does cover all of the threaded portion of the barrel, but it doesn't seem to cover everything up like the factory muzzle brake did, but i'm guessing that's because the original brake has a shroud that locks into the retaining pin.

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just trying to do things right. Thanks fellas!

http://i59.tinypic.com/260dhmd.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/3508lex.jpg

I've never used that Surefire but I'm sure someone has and will come along shortly.

english kanigit
03-02-14, 12:26
What did the paperwork that came with that Surefire flash hider say as far as installation instructions?

What 'application' will you be using it for?

Ek

Peshawar
03-02-14, 14:30
I saw on the SF site that they had this model, but I don't think they have posted a pic yet. Any chance you can show us what it looks like overall? Interesting that they didn't give it enough thread to screw over the fsb more completely.

South
03-02-14, 16:46
/////

Hizzie
03-03-14, 01:36
I think EK is asking if you plan on running a can. Concentricity can be an issue on AK's. Have your muzzle and threads checked before you wreck a suppressor.

Since that appears to be a FH only, and not a brake or comp, I don't see why timing would be an issue.

South
03-03-14, 04:24
/////

Hizzie
03-03-14, 12:30
Shoot those pics to SF's customer service. Bet they can give you definitive answers.

english kanigit
03-06-14, 12:29
I think EK is asking if you plan on running a can. Concentricity can be an issue on AK's. Have your muzzle and threads checked before you wreck a suppressor.

Since that appears to be a FH only, and not a brake or comp, I don't see why timing would be an issue.

That is exactly what I was asking, you have my apologies for not making myself clear.

Since you don't yet have a suppressor I wouldn't sweat it very much. With the SGL 31 you do not have to worry about permanently attaching the muzzle device to make the minimum 16" barrel length. From speaking with several surefire folks, the timing on these is not particularly necessary for the flash hiders unless you want to be OCD about it for whatever reason. The muzzle brakes and compensators are another story though which is probably why the instruction manuals include that so they only have to print one set of instructions.

I had given a lot of thought on using one of these on my SLR – 107 CR but after chopping it down to 12.5 inches of barrel and putting one of these M24 flash hiders on it the barrel's length would've been about 15.2"-ish. At that point there's no real reason to go the NFA route with that particular firearm, in my book anyways. Additionally, using one of these muzzle devices I would have to worry about the threads being concentric to two different tubes (both the gas block/front sight and the barrel within it). For those both of these reasons I elected to have the barrel cut and a surefire flash hider permanently attached to the barrel to make for a barrel length of just over 16 inches.

That rifle is currently at Two Rivers Arms where the barrel is being pulled, the YHM phantom I had perm. attached as a place holder due to te SF units not being available until recently is being cut off and then it will have the threads cut on a lathe using a live center. My SOCOM 7.62MINI should also be out of ATF jail within the next couple of months and after that the setup will be getting a lot of use.

I have thought about using one of those M24 flash hiders for my SLR – 107 UR but I'm unsure yet of whether I want to go through with that.

Would you be willing to provide the overall length of that flash hider and the length that it adds to whatever it is screwed on to?

Regards,
Ek

South
03-07-14, 02:59
/////