PDA

View Full Version : Bobro or Larue for Aimpoint micro

IB Slingin
03-02-14, 08:23
Ive narrrowed my choices to these two mounts. Which and why do you guys recommend one over the other? I will be using the lower 1/3 co-witness mount. Thank you.

rjacobs
03-02-14, 08:51
While I dont have a Larue micro mount to compare, I do run Larue stuff on a couple other guns. I just got a Bobro from Grant with a T1.

To me the biggest difference is in the latch. The bobro is a positive lock and unlock using some springs(I assume) and a separate locking latch to hold the main qd latch closed. While I cant say it wouldnt happen, I think it would be very hard to accidentally unlock the qd. When you unlock the QD and move it out it snaps open very positively, it also snaps closed very positively and locks in place with the separate lock switch. The larue QD uses the sliding function of the lever to lock the qd lever. Different way to ensure the qd lever stays locked. I cant say if one is a better design than the other, just different. I have had trouble on one of my Larue's with the slide function of the lever being a little stiff and I cant seem to cure it with oil, but I dont take the optic off that gun basically ever so its not something I even think to call Larue on. My other 2 Larue mounts dont seem to have any issues with their lever slide function.

The base of the larue mounts is much narrower(I dont have measurements to compare) to the Bobro due to the lever design on the Larue not having any extra springs or hardware that the Bobro has. If you want a low profile base, get the larue, if you dont mind having a slightly wider base to accommodate the springs and what not that the Bobro has, go that way.

Beyond that I believe all the rings, hardware, anodizing, machine work, etc... between the two is on par. I wont talk about RTZ because I havent tested with the Bobro yet since I just got it last week and havent hit the range yet. All my Larue mounts seem to do ok, or at least in my realm of quality of shooting I dont notice a difference.

The Bobro is a little newer as I believe they were just released last fall while the Larue has been around a long time with a proven track record.

I honestly dont think you can go wrong with either. Sorry I cant make up your mind or provide a strong preference for one over the other. I think they are both quality pieces and will serve you well.

HeavyDuty
03-02-14, 09:46
I've had LaRue, ADM and Bobro mounts. The ADMs are all gone, I'm keeping all the LaRues but the only ones I buy new are Bobro.

I don't think Bobro has the same anvil-like durability as the LaRue, but they are damn close with (IMO) a nicer attachment method. YMMV, but I'm sold on Bobro.

mkmckinley
03-02-14, 10:01
I'm curious to know what you didn't like about the ADM mounts. I have a few of their optic mounts and I like their levers the best out of the ones I've owned (ADM, Larue, and Bobro). I haven't had any bad experiences or problems with any of them so for me it mainly came down to the convenience of the lever.

HeavyDuty
03-02-14, 20:40
The ADMs really weren't bad, but I found they were fussy about adjustment. The Bobros are pretty brainless to install and use.

heat-ar
03-02-14, 21:28
I have had a larue spr on my razor 1-6 and it has work great. I have taken the scope off at least 3 times and when i have put the scope back on it has always return to 0. And i just bought a larue lt751 for my new aimpoint T1 last week and it work perfect this weekend. So Larue gets my vote but i have never try any Bobros mounts.

kiwi57
03-02-14, 21:52
Two recent threads might help to give context to your question, as well as varied experiences and opinions:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145755-Which-mount-to-use

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145851-Larue-LT104-or-Bobro

Searching will reveal handfuls of other threads.

Ive narrrowed my choices to these two mounts. What and why do you guys recommend one over the other? I will be using the lower 1/3 co-witness mount. Thank you.

mtdawg169
03-02-14, 23:19
Bobro. I got one for my T1 and wondered why I hadn't tried one before. The attachment method is simple and requires no adjustments. Great return to zero. I liked it so much that I also got one for a new TA33. And the best part is that it isn't from Larue.

steyrman13
03-02-14, 23:32
I'm slowly converting everything to bobro until something better comes along.
Any of Bobro, GDI(although expensive), ADM, or larue will have a good return to zero on one rifle. If you plan to move between rifles and have adjustments noted for each rifle, bobro would be the way to go because the mount is self adjusting to rails and all you would have to know is your adjustments for each particular rifle ie. zero stop on one rifle and 2 clicks left 1 click up on another and so on. If you set a ADM or Larue to one rail, it may be too right or loose to use on another IME. If you only want to remove the scope from the same rifle for using long range optics to a red dot to irons back to scope etc then any of them will work. The only thing I have seen where larue can loosen up is if you constantly take it on and off and it is setup tight it could eventually create a divot requiring you to readjust the levers and confirm/re-zero. However I would think you would need to do this ALOT for it to happen. If you are using larue or any of them on a steel pic rail/riser I don't think any of them would cause issues except for moving from one rifle to the next, giving Bobro the win.

cj5_dude
03-03-14, 18:05
I liked LaRue until I got a Bobro mount. Now I will never go LaRue if Bobro makes a mount for what I want.

Adam_s
03-04-14, 07:45
I currently use the LaRue mount on my rifles.
That being said, for future use, I'll be swapping to the Daniel Defense mount. I've found that once I set up my optic on a gun, it never comes off. As such, I don't see the need in spending the extra money for a quick detach mount when I never make use of that feature.

titanse05
03-04-14, 08:04
I liked LaRue until I got a Bobro mount. Now I will never go LaRue if Bobro makes a mount for what I want.This is the same way that I feel. Bobro's self adjusting mounting system is superior, they are rock solid and return to zero everytime.

C4IGrant
03-04-14, 08:18
Ive narrrowed my choices to these two mounts. What and why do you guys recommend one over the other? I will be using the lower 1/3 co-witness mount. Thank you.

Bobro. Far superior.

C4

samuse
03-04-14, 09:43
I currently use the LaRue mount on my rifles.
That being said, for future use, I'll be swapping to the Daniel Defense mount. I've found that once I set up my optic on a gun, it never comes off. As such, I don't see the need in spending the extra money for a quick detach mount when I never make use of that feature.

I just went the same route. Have used La Rues quite a bit in the past, just ordered a T-1 to replace one I sold a buddy, got a DD Mount this time...

HD1911
03-06-14, 07:56
I would be giving GDI a hard look. I don't honestly think there is a better mount out there, if u need QD.

halmbarte
03-06-14, 08:52
The only thing that bugs me abut the Bobro mounts is the screws.

I've had too many screws come loose over the years for me to put 100% faith in any design that uses screws.

H

Eurodriver
03-06-14, 08:59

I've had too many screws come loose over the years for me to put 100% faith in any design that uses screws.

H

How is your pistol grip secured?

C4IGrant
03-06-14, 09:11

H

100% non-issue.

C4

Voodoo_Man
03-06-14, 09:59
I have a review of the larue with an h1 on my blog.

Larue is my goto. Never had an issue.

steyrman13
03-06-14, 11:08

H
Have you found a way to mount a scope without using screws or nuts??? Bobro uses studs and nuts on their mount anyways. Also that is why people use loctite.

bb223
03-08-14, 00:30
I have had nothing but good luck with Bobro and nothing but issues with LaRue optic mounts.

Neville
03-08-14, 04:25
Which issues?

Scoby
03-08-14, 06:32
I have both and would buy either one again. You are pretty much splitting hairs on this IMO.
The only point I can make is that the LaRue will cost you approximately $30 less.

bb223
03-08-14, 11:08
Which issues?

3 different LT-150s on two separate rifles (BCM and Colt), and all of those mounts would "creep" rearward on the optics rail.

No matter what, even when the tension nut was tightened so much that the QD lever would be too stiff to disengage.

The movement was minimal, but it was not confidence inspiring and definitely not what I would expect from a $150 mount.

My Bobro 180 doesn't move in the rail slot at all, even with the lever fully opened.

Plus the Bobro returns dead on to zero.

user
03-11-14, 07:14
Have both currently. The Larue is ok. The Bobro is good, but the latch sticks out really far on the bobro.

Horsehide
03-11-14, 08:19
Just to throw something else in the mix, have a look at the Alamo Four Star mounts: bulletproof and lighter than many others.
I have had experience with Larue (never warmed up to them), ADM (Ok, but adjustments were kind of touchy and crude) and Bobro (beautifully engineered, but on the heavy side).

NongShim
03-11-14, 08:55
And the best part is that it isn't from Larue.

I don't have an axe to grind. I am likely just out of the loop but did something happen? Were there some Scrooge-like business practices going on? I have seen several comments like this in the last half year or so. LaRue used to be one of those names that was like a gold standard but it doesn't appear to be that way anymore. I just have been wondering if people are buying what they view as better mounts, or if something happened to make people not want to support his business anymore.

As to the OP, I've used LaRue mounts almost exclusively for years. I have had generally good results, but have started noticing the creeping/loosening that has been mentioned in the thread. I'll be playing with ADM more to see if I like them better.

I agree that if there isn't a real need for QD capability, then a lighter and cheaper non-QD is the way to go. I'm going to start moving in that direction myself for things I don't envision needing the QD option.

peruna
03-11-14, 13:52
I think it's because Mark is very blunt/direct/to the point and some can be put off by that particular quality..... lol

Failure2Stop
03-11-14, 16:49
I have used quite a few mounts, and I prefer Bobro for QD precision mounts.
For a T-1, they are both decent, with an edge for LaRue as far as width of mount, but an edge toward Bobro for actual mounting/dismounting.

rushca01
03-11-14, 17:47
I don't have an axe to grind. I am likely just out of the loop but did something happen? Were there some Scrooge-like business practices going on? I have seen several comments like this in the last half year or so. LaRue used to be one of those names that was like a gold standard but it doesn't appear to be that way anymore. I just have been wondering if people are buying what they view as better mounts, or if something happened to make people not want to support his business anymore.

As to the OP, I've used LaRue mounts almost exclusively for years. I have had generally good results, but have started noticing the creeping/loosening that has been mentioned in the thread. I'll be playing with ADM more to see if I like them better.

I agree that if there isn't a real need for QD capability, then a lighter and cheaper non-QD is the way to go. I'm going to start moving in that direction myself for things I don't envision needing the QD option.

I am curious about this too. I always thought his mounts were the gold standard like colt is to the ar market. Maybe he was the gold standard when it was just him and ARMS mounts??? Now that there are other kids on the block that have built off of and bettered larue's design maybe he is no longer the gold standard??? Just thinking out loud. All of mounts are larue and I've never had an issue, the only mount that I have that is not his is the factory mount that came on my dbal i2.

SilverBullet432
03-11-14, 22:47
Not sure if the OP was looking for a QD mount, but here is another option:

https://danieldefense.com/mounts/optics/aimpoint-micro-mount.html

Failure2Stop
03-12-14, 08:01
I am curious about this too. I always thought his mounts were the gold standard like colt is to the ar market. Maybe he was the gold standard when it was just him and ARMS mounts??? Now that there are other kids on the block that have built off of and bettered larue's design maybe he is no longer the gold standard??? Just thinking out loud. All of mounts are larue and I've never had an issue, the only mount that I have that is not his is the factory mount that came on my dbal i2.

Let's keep the personal issues out of this thread.

HD1911
03-12-14, 08:07
I'm actually surprised that there is hardly ever mention of GDI QD Mounts.

HeavyDuty
03-12-14, 08:48
While I generally prefer Bobro, I think LaRue are great mounts - maybe the flavor of the week crowd has moved on resulting in a decrease in LaRue mount popularity?

mtdawg169
03-12-14, 09:47
I'm actually surprised that there is hardly ever mention of GDI QD Mounts.

I've been interested in the GDI mounts, but they're pretty pricey. I moved to Bobro last year and have been extremely satisfied so far.

C4IGrant
03-12-14, 10:05
While I generally prefer Bobro, I think LaRue are great mounts - maybe the flavor of the week crowd has moved on resulting in a decrease in LaRue mount popularity?

I try and look at everything from a non-emotional view point. When you look at the design of the Bobro mount, you will really come to the conclusion that it is the best lever design out there.

Same goes with LT. When LT came out, Arms was really the only game in town for a QD lever. The LT levers were solid steel. The ARMS lever were MIM (and would break). So I switched to the better mouse trap.

C4

rushca01
03-12-14, 10:23
I try and look at everything from a non-emotional view point. When you look at the design of the Bobro mount, you will really come to the conclusion that it is the best lever design out there.

Same goes with LT. When LT came out, Arms was really the only game in town for a QD lever. The LT levers were solid steel. The ARMS lever were MIM (and would break). So I switched to the better mouse trap.

C4

Kind of what I said above. When it was only ARMS, Larue came along and made a far superior product. Now there are other players in the market who are possibly giving Larue a run for their money. Which in turn should motivate Larue and others to R&D new products, the whole idea of a free market etc..

HD1911
03-12-14, 19:53
I've been interested in the GDI mounts, but they're pretty pricey. I moved to Bobro last year and have been extremely satisfied so far.

If you're MIL/LE/GOV, they're actually not too bad. I don't think there's a better mount out there, IMHO.

NongShim
03-17-14, 12:20
If you're MIL/LE/GOV, they're actually not too bad. I don't think there's a better mount out there, IMHO.

Is the mil discount 50-90%? I knew most of the mounts were in the $200 range, but the mount for a traditional or variable power type scope is well over $500. That borders on the absurd in my book. I can't imagine that it is $300 better than the competition.

HD1911
03-17-14, 12:21
Is the mil discount 50-90%? I knew most of the mounts were in the $200 range, but the mount for a traditional or variable power type scope is well over $500. That borders on the absurd in my book. I can't imagine that it is $300 better than the competition.

Roughly $165 for a T1 Micro Mount (from a Certain Source, not GDI Directly). I think GDI's Discount is like 15%. Yes, Their Variable Optic Mounts are Expensive no doubt, but so are Spuhr... sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

NongShim
03-17-14, 13:09
Roughly $165 for a T1 Micro Mount (from a Certain Source, not GDI Directly). I think GDI's Discount is like 15%. Yes, Their Variable Optic Mounts are Expensive no doubt, but so are Spuhr... sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

You do often get what you pay for. At some point though, the slightly incremental increases in performance aren't proportionate to the increase in cost. A Mercedes doesn't get you to work any better than a Honda. It is nicer, but not noticeably better to the layman. I find it hard to believe without empirical data that either of those two companies produce mounts that offer much-if any-difference in performance to shooters. They might (and better be) nicer, but are they actually better?

HD1911
03-17-14, 13:16
You do often get what you pay for. At some point though, the slightly incremental increases in performance aren't proportionate to the increase in cost. A Mercedes doesn't get you to work any better than a Honda. It is nicer, but not noticeably better to the layman. I find it hard to believe without empirical data that either of those two companies produce mounts that offer much-if any-difference in performance to shooters. They might (and better be) nicer, but are they actually better?

I don't disagree with your first two sentences. As someone who has used a LT, and GDI... I can tell you I've had POI shift with one of them, when dismounting and remounting, and the other I have not had. With one of them I have had scarring to the rails, with the other I have not had. One of them just flat out feels much more robust and a nicer fit and finish to boot.... are you saying that based on my experiences between the two, that roughly a $60 difference in price was not warranted?

What's your point really? If a Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 FFP and a S&B 3-20 FFP both hold their zero and track correctly... they are equal at that point? For most users, they may never need or even want the differences, that warrant the abrupt spike in cost.

But if you've never used a GDI mount or seen one before (I'm assuming you haven't), you really cannot diminish them.

steyrman13
03-17-14, 14:51
I don't disagree with your first two sentences. As someone who has used a LT, and GDI... I can tell you I've had POI shift with one of them, when dismounting and remounting, and the other I have not had. With one of them I have had scarring to the rails, with the other I have not had. One of them just flat out feels much more robust and a nicer fit and finish to boot.... are you saying that based on my experiences between the two, that roughly a $60 difference in price was not warranted?

What's your point really? If a Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 FFP and a S&B 3-20 FFP both hold their zero and track correctly... they are equal at that point? For most users, they may never need or even want the differences, that warrant the abrupt spike in cost.

But if you've never used a GDI mount or seen one before (I'm assuming you haven't), you really cannot diminish them.

Although I do not have experience witht he GDI mount, what does it do differently than an ADM mount? The principle and contact point are VERY similar. Bobro is completely different from larue/Arms style and completely different from GDI/ADM style

TurretGunner
03-17-14, 18:00
Its a bit commical when years ago I told people to move to Bobro, as its far superior to anything else on the market (GDI being the exception). They laughed or attacked me based on their own ignorance.

They parroted the same lines about ADM , Larue and how they are RTZ (When they are in fact not, as no QD mount is true RTZ).

Now they come here , changing 180* degrees, and jump on the Bobro Bandwagon.

Amazing how people change their advice (that they argue and are adement to defend) in a few short years.

TurretGunner
03-17-14, 18:03

Lifes too short for Cheap guns, cheap booze and cheap women (ok maybe not) lol

thopkins22
03-17-14, 22:11
The thing is there are some QD solutions that Larue is the only game in town for. Need a variable optic to clear a PEQ-2A? For that matter need a QD lever on your PEQ-2A? Larue is the only quality maker offering solutions to those issues that I'm aware of.

Bobro is great(especially now that they're product line is expanding to fill more gaps)...but it doesn't mean that the mounts you already have need replaced, as the chances are that they do not.

Tallteeth
03-21-14, 17:36
I've used a Larue for my Aimpoint M2 for years and just recently bought a Bobro and a T1. I've never had a problem with the Larue but I will be using Bobro from now on. The clamping mechanism is superior, although appears a little bulkier.

46and2
03-27-14, 20:10
I will only buy bobro mounts for my optics. I just like bobro for whatever reason.

GunBugBit
03-31-14, 11:14
It seems the Bobro mount for the Aimpoint T1/H1 Micro optics has a strong following. I don't see anyone complaining about the extra bulk of the Bobro around the locking mechanism. Not an issue?

Wake27
03-31-14, 11:21
It seems the Bobro mount for the Aimpoint T1/H1 Micro optics has a strong following. I don't see anyone complaining about the extra bulk of the Bobro around the locking mechanism. Not an issue?

Its a lot better than the damn knob on CCOs, but I don't know if you have any experience with those. I thought it might be a little irritating but really can't feel it when it hangs on the sling which is when I think it would be most noticeable.