PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Luttrell (Navy SEAL) speaks at the NRA Annual Meeting on May 16

Joe Mamma
05-22-08, 18:56
Here's a link to a pretty cool video of Marcus Luttrell's speach at the National Rifle Association Annual Meeting on May 16th, 2008. In case you don't know, he was a survivor of Operation Redwing, and is author of the book "Lone Survivor."

I love his opening story:

http://www.navyseals.com/marcus-luttrell

Joe Mamma

FlyAndFight
05-22-08, 22:05
Thanks for sharing. That was one powerful video.

TUNNEL RAT 33
05-23-08, 00:35
how the hell could somebody arrest that guy ??

WillC
05-23-08, 01:36
*Edited, correction made*

ddemis
05-23-08, 02:16
Thank God for Mom, apple pie and Marcus Luttrell! We need more country boys like him. Great speech too.

Joe Mamma
05-23-08, 07:26
[edited per WillC comment]

Joe Mamma

JediMindTricks
05-23-08, 11:45
I have a problem loading the page. Is there any other way/link?

The Archangel
05-23-08, 12:54
Excellent!

Henchman
05-23-08, 18:01
The video was fantastic. I would be great if more men with his mentality ran for public office. Their only disqualification would be that they are in possession of working testicles.

SeriousStudent
05-23-08, 19:43
how the hell could somebody arrest that guy ??

I can see that conversation, when the officer checks his ID.

"You are free to go, sir. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Can we give you a lift back to the bar, and buy you a round?"

Great video. Thanks for posting the link.

Bushytale
05-23-08, 20:15
I've been following his story. My wife is reading his book right now. :D

chadbag
05-23-08, 20:22
When that steam pipe exploded a while back in NYC and everyone ran away crying like it was another terrorist attack, Mr. Luttrell was in NYC and only a couple blocks away from the explosion. He ran *toward* the explosion to see if anyone needed help.

This is my remembrance of his interview on Glenn Beck right after it happened.

Chad

OldNavyGuy
05-24-08, 08:56
I have a problem loading the page. Is there any other way/link?

try this then search/scroll,

http://www.navyseals.com/

the1911fan
05-24-08, 12:31
I am amazed that he was not given The Medal of Honor.

Not that Petty Officer First Class Luttrell would feel slighted, but I can't wrap my mind around how he did not receive the highest honor.

JediMindTricks
05-24-08, 20:09
try this then search/scroll,

http://www.navyseals.com/

Got it thanks!!!

Yeah he seems like a good guy. I can't imagine what he went through. He gets nothing but respect from me!

nplunger
05-29-08, 20:03
I read Lone Survivior and cannot recommend the book enough, it's the best book I have ever read. It makes you more appreciative of what or soldiers do for our country. Thank God for people like Marcus Luttrell.

gkanga
05-30-08, 00:17
I am amazed that he was not given The Medal of Honor.

Not that Petty Officer First Class Luttrell would feel slighted, but I can't wrap my mind around how he did not receive the highest honor.

His squad leader, Michael Murphy, did. The other three earned the Navy Cross.

WillC
05-30-08, 19:42
Murph was their OIC and SR Team leader(could also be called element which is of undetermined size), not a squad leader as that is not an O's position and that is a larger than four man group. Nitpicking, I know; but these terminoligy differences are actually large and bothersome to me, think "magazine" vs "clip".

gkanga
05-30-08, 19:58
Sorry, I didn't know the precise name for the head guy of a 4 person group of SEALs. I lent to book to a friend so I didn't have it for reference. If I had said Team Leader I probably would have gotten in trouble for implying that he was the leader of the entire SEAL Team 10.

Clip vs. Magazine, however, I can handle ;)

WillC
05-30-08, 21:45
Understandable, but I dont think many would mistake Team leader with Team Commander or CO etc ... but maybe that is just me being nitpicky again.
Also, he was attached to Squadron 10, but he was from SDV 1 and Squadrons are a Team after supporting elements etc are attached.
Dunno if that is covered in the book, maybe I will read it some day.

Lets get back to Marcus's speech and how cool he is, I am not trying to distract the conversation, just trying to keep the verbage correct.

lowprone
05-30-08, 22:14
The real tragedy is the impossible situations command puts our people in, pop the goatherders or commit suicide? One day we gotta quit fighting these people fair.
I am amazed anybody survived.