PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some cargo shorts for spring/summer...

Chris17404
03-02-14, 14:47
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some new cargo shorts for spring and summer and was wondering if you had any suggestions. I am tall at 6'2" and have a few things I'm looking for:

1. Long inseam, around 11 inches.
2. Generous, multiple front pockets for holding EDC stuff.
3. Low profile side cargo pockets that aren't too bulky, yet can hold stuff.
4. A wide variety of colors, including khaki, tan, navy blue, tundra, etc.
5. Will look good with just a t-shirt or possibly more dressed up with polo or collared shirt for a casual night out.
6. I'm ok with newer technical fabrics, but should look rather traditional in appearance.
7. Can have lots of features, but not too "tactical" looking.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Cunnalinguist
03-03-14, 01:03
Vertx. Vertx. Vertx.

The duty shorts (blue, black) are the same as the regular shorts (desert tan, khaki, od green), except that the rear pockets are internal (just slits).

I'm unsure of the inseam length, however I am 6'0 and find the shorts to be the perfect length.

Upsides- Perfect low profile cargo shorts that fit all your requirements, and that you can actually crouch down in. I've found them to be color fast too. The front pockets are very large and condusive to pocket carry. I pocket carry a 26 with no problems. The mouth of the pocket is wide enough for a good draw.

Downsides- Not many, really. The zipper for the hidden pocket on the right side will clank against your knife clip, at least mine does. I also don't like the fact that you have to buy the duty version of the shorts if you want navy and black. I'm hoping they release the shorts in their new grey color.

Buy them, you won't regret it. Make sure to take advantage of the 20% off code from their website. I think the code is MJVF20VTX.

Phantom LT- http://www.wearvertx.com/Vertx-Mens-Phantom-LT-Shorts.aspx

Duty- http://www.wearvertx.com/Valor-VTX-Mens-OA-Duty-Wear-Uniform-Shorts.aspx

duece71
03-03-14, 06:41
+1 for Vertx. Also Triple Aught Design (TAD). Their cargo shorts can be had in either RS-Rip Stop or AC (Amphibious Cloth). Great shorts and pants.

EzGoingKev
03-03-14, 13:29
I picked up some of LL Bean's Allagash cargo shorts and like them.

The biggest factor for me is behind both regular side pockets they have an additional zippered pocket. I can put my cell phone, wallet, keys, whatever in those pockets and have no fear of losing them.

Benito
03-03-14, 17:56
If you can find 'em on sale, Arc'teryx Rampart Shorts are great. As is the Pant version.

Tiny86
03-05-14, 18:50
In my honest opinion the key to comfort and mobility in shorts and pants is the fabric. Fabric with stretch in it makes running, jumping, moving or sprinting much easier and more comfortable. Hence I use pants like that for training, work and play. The most low profile ones that I have found are under armor cargo shorts. Good amount of give in the fabric, but cut for lean type people. (I'm a 38 waist with thunder thighs) No idea on the model, I found them at Costco. UA is a common brand so they don't scream "hello!!!" to everybody that recognizes 511, or is a gucci gear Arcteryx lover. (But I do love me some Arcteryx) My favorite shorts that I have are Kuhl Raptr cargoes. Really comfortable and flexible. The REI brand Venturi shorts are pretty good also. The zipper cargo pockets can be a pain but nothing falls out of them. Royal Robbins also makes some really good shorts.
If you have one near you go to an REI and look around, I know their expensive but they will most likely have exactly what your looking for. About 90% of my shorts and pants come from REI. Especially stuff I wear to the range/training.
I don't own a pair of 511s because EVERYONE wears them. I like to be special and different. But the only problem with that is alot of the stuff I have are hippie brands. Oh well I get a kick out of the irony of wearing them to the range.

thopkins22
03-05-14, 19:48
Between the various options at Mountain Khakis, you'll never need another pair of shorts(or pants shy of dress and suit pants) from another company.http://www.mountainkhakis.com/products/men/shorts/

They changed my life in a very positive way as did their pants. They have cargo models of shorts and pants both, but unless you're really loading yourself down they aren't required as they have three front pockets in all the models. They're not "tactical" but they're exceptionally well made and durable, classically fashionable(you won't regret pictures in them in a few years,) women like them, they're made of super comfortable fabrics, and they have well thought out features like a well executed gusset in the crotch and a double thickness turn at the bottom of the front pockets that allows you to clip knives vertically.

The pants have a double thickness at the heel to fight the high wear there as well. There are also various inseams that should work for you 8",10", and 12" Even if you truly need 11" and 10 or 12 wouldn't cut it, I like them enough to say it would be worth buying longer and having them altered.

Plus, if you're still playing the field and you're interested in the kind of gal I am, nothing works on women in the summer quite like topsiders, Nantucket red shorts, and a blue button down shirt. You'll need a stick to beat them away from you. Now you can accomplish that without sacrificing functional clothing. Of course you can be boring and just pick up various shades of tan too.

I cannot recommend them highly enough. Exofficio boxer briefs, SmartWool socks, and Mountain Khakis pants and shorts all had life changing effects on me and are all worth the dough. I'd rather have two pairs of each than a dozen mediocre items...and I expect the two pairs would last me just as long.

Spurholder
03-06-14, 08:24
Between the various options at Mountain Khakis, you'll never need another pair of shorts(or pants shy of dress and suit pants) from another company.http://www.mountainkhakis.com/products/men/shorts/

They changed my life in a very positive way as did their pants. They have cargo models of shorts and pants both, but unless you're really loading yourself down they aren't required as they have three front pockets in all the models. They're not "tactical" but they're exceptionally well made and durable, classically fashionable(you won't regret pictures in them in a few years,) women like them, they're made of super comfortable fabrics, and they have well thought out features like a well executed gusset in the crotch and a double thickness turn at the bottom of the front pockets that allows you to clip knives vertically.

The pants have a double thickness at the heel to fight the high wear there as well. There are also various inseams that should work for you 8",10", and 12" Even if you truly need 11" and 10 or 12 wouldn't cut it, I like them enough to say it would be worth buying longer and having them altered.

Plus, if you're still playing the field and you're interested in the kind of gal I am, nothing works on women in the summer quite like topsiders, Nantucket red shorts, and a blue button down shirt. You'll need a stick to beat them away from you. Now you can accomplish that without sacrificing functional clothing. Of course you can be boring and just pick up various shades of tan too.

I cannot recommend them highly enough. Exofficio boxer briefs, SmartWool socks, and Mountain Khakis pants and shorts all had life changing effects on me and are all worth the dough. I'd rather have two pairs of each than a dozen mediocre items...and I expect the two pairs would last me just as long.

Thanks for the link - those answer the mail. Much appreciated!

Moose-Knuckle
03-06-14, 18:13
Duluth Trading, the last pair of shorts you will ever need to purchase.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/mens-work-shorts/shorts-for-men.aspx

Voodoo_Man
03-06-14, 18:29
I've got a pair of these: http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/shorts/ambush-cargo/

They wear well.

jc000
03-06-14, 20:18
Thanks for the link - those answer the mail. Much appreciated!

I like mountain khakis but be forewarned – I've destroyed two pairs and worn out two others. In my experience, I haven't found them to be exceptionally durable.

19trax95
03-06-14, 20:50
Duluth Trading, the last pair of shorts you will ever need to purchase.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/mens-work-shorts/shorts-for-men.aspx

+1 on that. I have several pairs of the flex pants and a pair of the shorts. They are easily the most comfortable and most durable pants I've ever had. And their "no bs" return policy is true. I managed to rip the button one of the pairs of pants I had, sent them an email and they sent a new pair of pants and a return label for the old pair.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

El Cid
03-06-14, 21:21
Also a big fan of Kuhl products here.

Have you looked at Rail Riders offerings?

Spurholder
03-07-14, 07:18
I like mountain khakis but be forewarned – I've destroyed two pairs and worn out two others. In my experience, I haven't found them to be exceptionally durable.

Thanks for the reply.

Spurholder
03-07-14, 07:19
I've got a pair of these: http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/shorts/ambush-cargo/

They wear well.

I had a pair of Crag Runners and I agree - Kuhl products are very durable.

jc000
03-07-14, 07:29
Thanks for the reply.

Not a problem. I've always had very good luck with Patagonia stuff, as far as durability goes. Their CS has been pretty amazing in the past as well.

thopkins22
03-07-14, 08:54

My experience is very much the opposite. I've put tremendous use into several pairs with no ill effects.

trinydex
03-07-14, 16:44
if i had a pair of vertx shorts i would probably parrot vertx. since i don't i have to recommend what i have tried because they're great.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=122511&langId=-1&categoryId=39361&top_category=10931&quickView=false

i have two pairs of these. they're extremely comfortable. very soft cotton, but thick enough to give you the confidence that they're not going to rip in half. i have to admit that the work shorts style of pocketing isn't my favorite, but to be honest these shorts haven't failed me in their capability of carrying a very complete edc set up. they also don't scream i have a gun.

the shorts may seem quirky, the front pockets are cut low and they're deep. back pockets aren't super large, but then again maybe back pockets shouldn't be. i'm not very tall so these shorts are fairly long on me, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, for hiking and such they still cover my knees when kneeling.

the reason i like these shorts so much is the softness of the cotten and yet they're still durable.

lastly i think the sizing on these shorts may run half a size smaller (after washing and drying several times) than the sizing of my everyday jeans. it's only a half size so it's not like they're tight. i bring this up incase you want to iwb carry, but also want to be able to wear the shorts without a gun tucked in consider two sizes larger than usual to try and find that sweet spot in sizing.

jc000
03-09-14, 03:29
My experience is very much the opposite. I've put tremendous use into several pairs with no ill effects.

I appreciate that this might be the case, so I will qualify the specific issues I've run into.

Two pairs of cords completely wore on the front of the thighs to the point where they were nearly see-through. This was just with normal washings based on MK-recommendation. Pieces of the cord material were basically coming off in chunks.

I had two pairs of the Original Mountain pant come apart. One came apart at the seam along the crotch gusset and I just threw them away. Another pair developed a similar issue, so I relegated it to 100% work use. During a paintball game, the pants came apart so bad, I was basically in my boxers at the end of the day.

I also had one of their shirts have the bottom snap completely come off soon after purchase – MK customer service did take care of that quickly and I haven't had any issues since.

YMMV, but this has been my experience. I still get MK stuff because it fits well, overall I'd say it's good quality, and I get a great price on it. But I have been surprised by the number of issues I've seen, especially in light of other people's durability claims. I am currently rocking a couple pairs of their shorts, some shirts, and three pairs of their pants – all seem to be holding up well for the moment.

Chris17404
03-09-14, 14:38
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I appreciate it. I have two questions regarding the Vertx shorts:

1. How do they sit on your waist? Do they sit at or above your waist or lower? I ask because I'm looking for 11 inch inseams and these are 10 inch. But I typically wear cargo shorts that sit sort of below your waist. So if these sit higher, it may not be an issue.

2. How do Vertx shorts/pants fit compared to 5.11? I wear 36 waist jeans and also 36 5.11 shorts/pants. Would you recommend a 36 in Vertx too? I'd rather be a tiny bit big than too tight.

Thanks!

Chris

thopkins22
03-09-14, 22:21
http://youtu.be/zYaeq_GmKt8

Cunnalinguist
03-10-14, 01:04
I wear my shorts slightly below my waist. I would say a half inch or so below my love handles. Not gangster droop, but not daisy duke height either. The Vertx shorts sit a smidge above the back fold of my knee. They are cut higher in the back then the front. I'm a 37 waist. I use the 38s. They fit my waist + fat, TLR1'd G29 + a huge Crapper Barrel breakfast comfortably. The flexy sides of the shorts are win. If you IWB carry a real, man size width pistol (service size), the 38s will work for you.

You'll like 'em.

Chris17404
03-18-14, 15:52
Hi guys,

So I ordered 3 pairs of Vertx LT Phantom shorts based on all the reviews here. I ordered a size 38. I typically wear size 36 jeans, 36 pants, but most shorts I wear 38 for some reason. So anyway, I got them today. They look great, the pocket design and construction looks great. So I tried them on. The big problem is that there is so much baggy excess material in my butt area it kinda looks ridiculous. I have no idea why they'd design the shorts like this. There was a lot of extra room in the waist too, so I think I'll return these and exchange for size 36. But I don't expect a whole lot of difference in the excess butt area material. Has anyone else experienced this? Are Vertx pants the same way? Thanks.

Chris

Greenman
03-19-14, 17:55
Get some Cammies and have them professionally hemmed to your size :)