PDA

View Full Version : JP Enterprises 14.5 Barrel - Thoughts?

payj
03-02-14, 17:11
Hello,

I am thinking about buying one of these for an upcoming build and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I know they are a popular 3 gun company, so their longer stainless barrels get used quite a bit and are discussed, but I havent read much on their more "tactical" line.

The 14.5 is the length I am looking for. There's is neat because it is a 1:8 twist. I havent used that twist before, but know its good. It is also chrome lined, chambered in 556 and has m4 feedramps. The one thing that was a red flag is the fact they are using 4140 barrel steel. That steel is usually reserved for mfgs that cut corners. JP as a company doesn't seem to be that way and nor do the barrel specs.

Thoughts?

Sent On The Fly

Hank6046
03-02-14, 20:09
JP is made up the street from me and their rifles come through the range I work at quite a bit, everything I've seen from JP is excellent. That said, JP does their own thing, usually not Mil-Spec, I like a Mil-Spec rifle and the 4140 is a red flag, I bet though, if you sent an email their way they'd tell you why they went that direction.

scottryan
03-02-14, 20:14
What type of gas block does it come with?

Why would you buy one when you can get a factory Noveske or DD barrel with a correct factory pinned gas block?

justin_247
03-02-14, 20:18
What type of gas block does it come with?

Why would you buy one when you can get a factory Noveske or DD barrel with a correct factory pinned gas block?

These are good questions, especially for the kind of money you're looking at spending. Also, you can buy excellent 14.5" barrels that are either stainless steel or 4150 CHF if you go with a 1:7 twist rate, which there is nothing wrong with.

If you are hung up on the 1:8 twist rate, I would suggest you check this out:
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2905

Or this:
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2832

Or this:
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1148

scottryan
03-02-14, 20:19
I found this little tidbit of bullshit on their website:

The truth is, the standard Mil-spec C-158 (Carpenter 158) bolt has a number of factors limiting its performance, not the least of which is that the life expectancy of such bolts is only about 6,000 rounds. In fact, standard bolts will start to show stress cracks on the locking lugs adjacent to the extractor cut after only 3,000 rounds. Cracking at the cam pin hole and weak extractor spring tension only add to the problems of the Mil-spec bolt.

The material used in these standard bolts is also not the best choice by today's standards, but if you remember the old story that explains why “Mil-spec never dies,” that applies here as well; they make them this way because they’ve always made them this way.

The latest edition JP EnhancedBolt™ is made from SAE 9310 high-grade steel. This material makes for an extremely hard surface with a tough, ductile core resistant to structural failure and a life expectancy far exceeding Mil-spec C-158 bolts. SAE 9310 is the same type of steel used in the transmission gears of Formula One racecars, and the high-load application of a bolt assembly is ideal for this state-of-the-art material; the results of actual full-auto endurance torture tests prove it.

justin_247
03-02-14, 20:30

The latest edition JP EnhancedBolt™ is made from SAE 9310 high-grade steel. This material makes for an extremely hard surface with a tough, ductile core resistant to structural failure and a life expectancy far exceeding Mil-spec C-158 bolts. SAE 9310 is the same type of steel used in the transmission gears of Formula One racecars, and the high-load application of a bolt assembly is ideal for this state-of-the-art material; the results of actual full-auto endurance torture tests prove it.[/I]

What an interesting claim. If anything, Carpenter 158 and 9310 are remarkably similar, so I expect the performance between the two to be comparable. For example, just compare the two:

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx?i=101&E=100
http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6703

I expect them to perform very similarly, but to say that 9310 performs much better than Carpenter 158 seems sketchy.

TacticalMark
03-02-14, 22:01

The latest edition JP EnhancedBolt™ is made from SAE 9310 high-grade steel. This material makes for an extremely hard surface with a tough, ductile core resistant to structural failure and a life expectancy far exceeding Mil-spec C-158 bolts. SAE 9310 is the same type of steel used in the transmission gears of Formula One racecars, and the high-load application of a bolt assembly is ideal for this state-of-the-art material; the results of actual full-auto endurance torture tests prove it.

That's a bold claim, I'd like to see their "proof"

payj
03-02-14, 23:24
Thank you for the replies. I will look into the other barrels as well and still consider the JP pending more responses. I think the JP name overall is well respected, but seems to be more of the 3 gun thing. I bet their 14.5 is a good barrel. Just wonder why they used 4140. Ill email them and post back....More responses from users are welcome. Thank you

PrarieDog
03-02-14, 23:33
You know for most companies I would agree with calling BS. With JP though they are a standup company all the way that does back up their product with a shit load of rounds down range. Give them a call and they will talk you through their reasoning. I have had discussions with them over some of their product but in the end their shit works. As for their bolts they have a life time warranty on them. Not many others in the industry offering that. Yes I own one of their rifles but I also own four BCM's. So they make a quality product. Give them a call and they will walk you through their products.

discreet
03-03-14, 00:12
You know for most companies I would agree with calling BS. With JP though they are a standup company all the way that does back up their product with a shit load of rounds down range. Give them a call and they will talk you through their reasoning. I have had discussions with them over some of their product but in the end their shit works. As for their bolts they have a life time warranty on them. Not many others in the industry offering that. Yes I own one of their rifles but I also own four BCM's. So they make a quality product. Give them a call and they will walk you through their products.

Lifetime warranty in a gamer gun = win
Lifetime warranty in a dirt shooter = win
Lifetime warranty in a defensive/combat gun = worthless. Lifetime this and that mean nothing if it fails when you actually need it to work.

Same kinda stuff for the 100$ coated AIM BCG's. Lifetime only means something on a non life protecting gun IMO.

I do have to admit, I respect JP a little more than I used to, just due to the sheer amount of usage their parts get in the 3G world. IMO however, barrel wise, there are many other very proven options, especially ones tailored less to the gamer and more to the combat realm.

discreet
03-03-14, 00:15
JP is made up the street from me and their rifles come through the range I work at quite a bit, everything I've seen from JP is excellent. That said, JP does their own thing, usually not Mil-Spec, I like a Mil-Spec rifle and the 4140 is a red flag, I bet though, if you sent an email their way they'd tell you why they went that direction.

Def don't think JP gives a rats ass about Mil Spec. They are not a combat/military company by any means. It's actually refreshing to see a company not post a bunch of military crap on their site when they have 0 to do with the military (think Black Rain etc).

If you ever happen to talk to the guys, ask them what ammo they feeding them, whether custom loads, EB crap etc. A little curious about it.

blade_68
03-03-14, 02:35
I started to reply last night. One of my Army buddies has a JP rifle, it's bench rest gun accurate. But it is only shot 100 rnds at a time if that. He has not ran it hard, it will shoot a clover shot groups of 1/4- 3/8 inch groups. (built for 3 gun competition) His reason for it was same initials as his. I'd go with a BCM or DD if I was dropping that much $ for a known quality. You can get a BCM barrel and BCG for a few $ more. Regular barrel $239, CHF $309

Iraqgunz
03-03-14, 05:58
I have seen this before as well. I have bolts that have double that and more and another with 8K and yet it runs just fine. Most companies are using the 9310 because they can't get Carpenter 158.

MILSPEC Carpenter 158 are proven and that can't be disputed.

You're right about the other stuff as well. No idea why anybody would spend that kind of money on a barrel when there are plenty of other options.

The truth is, the standard Mil-spec C-158 (Carpenter 158) bolt has a number of factors limiting its performance, not the least of which is that the life expectancy of such bolts is only about 6,000 rounds. In fact, standard bolts will start to show stress cracks on the locking lugs adjacent to the extractor cut after only 3,000 rounds. Cracking at the cam pin hole and weak extractor spring tension only add to the problems of the Mil-spec bolt.

The material used in these standard bolts is also not the best choice by today's standards, but if you remember the old story that explains why “Mil-spec never dies,” that applies here as well; they make them this way because they’ve always made them this way.

markm
03-03-14, 08:23
Wow... that's bordering on LWRCi levels of bullshit. If their product weren't so silly, I'd add them to my shit list. ;)

samuse
03-03-14, 11:19
Thank you for the replies. I will look into the other barrels as well and still consider the JP pending more responses. I think the JP name overall is well respected, but seems to be more of the 3 gun thing. I bet their 14.5 is a good barrel. Just wonder why they used 4140. Ill email them and post back....More responses from users are welcome. Thank you

4140 is dirt cheap and is good steel. I highly doubt that the chrome lining cares what kind of steel is underneath...

I have 0 interest in owning any JP stuff...

JBecker 72
03-03-14, 11:45
If you are looking for a good 14.5" barrel you should look for a Colt. I just picked up a new in bag Colt M4 barrel from TOS for $260 shipped.

It is new in the bag, came with a pinned F marked front sight, barrel nut, A2 flash hider and crush washer, and the guy even threw in a new gas tube and roll pin.

These barrels seem to be everywhere right now. I'm probably gonna get another soon as a spare.

payj
03-03-14, 16:52
"We don’t do a lot of chrome lined alloy barrels [less than 1%] and 4140 was the material recommended by our barrel machining house.*

We run everything else in 416R stainless.* Trying some 410 alloys also. That is our preferred material."

This is the response I got from their GM.

Sent On The Fly

Hank6046
03-03-14, 17:49
Def don't think JP gives a rats ass about Mil Spec. They are not a combat/military company by any means. It's actually refreshing to see a company not post a bunch of military crap on their site when they have 0 to do with the military (think Black Rain etc).

If you ever happen to talk to the guys, ask them what ammo they feeding them, whether custom loads, EB crap etc. A little curious about it.
Yes one of my favorite things is that JP doesn't have guys with beards running around their website playing gi joe, the one customers who shoots JP, shoots custom loads. However when we had a vender event we put a lot of federal through those barrels.

CC556
03-03-14, 18:09
I'd contend that the average "gamer" with his gamer rifle from JP puts a lot more rounds downrange and runs his gear a lot harder and in more varied conditions than the average person who worries about exactly which barrel/bolt steel he's buying and spends his time posting about it on tactical forums on the internet.

discreet
03-03-14, 21:14
I'd contend that the average "gamer" with his gamer rifle from JP puts a lot more rounds downrange and runs his gear a lot harder and in more varied conditions than the average person who worries about exactly which barrel/bolt steel he's buying and spends his time posting about it on tactical forums on the internet.

To an extent maybe. Many of us here shoot obsurd amounts of ammo yearly. But I do have to say, 3gunners do run through tons of ammo. The difference is, many gamer guns are not intended to be guns they'd stake their life on, so using more botique and sometimes less proven parts isn't a worry. Same thing has been discussed many times and kind of a dead horse.

In the end, the whole saying people on here are keyboard warriors etc is far from. IMO putting down groups of people on a forum is worthless and imo un needed.

tehpwnag3
03-03-14, 21:51
I built a complete JP rifle in 1999 and still have it. It is the most accurate gas gun I have ever shot.

That being said, it is far from being a war horse. I have no illusions about this.