PDA

View Full Version : What distance is your high site over bore RMR zeroed at?

TMS951
03-03-14, 10:23
I have a RMR mounted on an 4x ACOG, the height over bore of the dot is about 4.25"

This height over bore causes quite a large shift in POA/POI at different distances.

I have been playing with different distances to Zero it at, but I am having trouble deciding what is best.

I am interested in:

-What distance is it zeroed at?

-Why did you choose this distance?

-What distance do you switch from the RMR to your magnified optic?

-What environment are you employing this optic set up in?

Thank you,
TMS

discreet
03-03-14, 10:51
I have a RMR mounted on an 4x ACOG, the height over bore of the dot is about 4.25"

This height over bore causes quite a large shift in POA/POI at different distances.

I have been playing with different distances to Zero it at, but I am having trouble deciding what is best.

I am interested in:

-What distance is it zeroed at? --- which ever distance you find most use in this sight on. Mine is 35 yards... why, because that's the greatest the rds will be used for distance wise for me. Some can be 50, some 100. Same as any other RDS. All depends on what your engagement points are. Everyone else is different.

-Why did you choose this distance? --- see above

-What distance do you switch from the RMR to your magnified optic? RDS inside, 4x outside (for the most part)

-What environment are you employing this optic set up in? See above.

Thank you,
TMS

If you having issues, you can always run a 45degree mount and ditch the scope mounted mount. They work extremely well. Posted replies in your quote.

Failure2Stop
03-03-14, 12:41
Zeroed at 100 meters.

It still provides the more gentle slope of a 100 meter zero, and is applicable to the piggybacked optic's best use.

The RMR is the default sighting device, the COG is used when the RMR does not meet the situation.

Optic setup employed in a military context. I find a low powered variable to be a better solution for a variety of reasons. The advantages of a piggybacked RDS is when used with masks where cheek-weld is highly compromised already and in weird positions (especially with masks).

TMS951
03-04-14, 10:38
Zeroed at 100 meters.

It still provides the more gentle slope of a 100 meter zero, and is applicable to the piggybacked optic's best use.

The RMR is the default sighting device, the COG is used when the RMR does not meet the situation.

Optic setup employed in a military context. I find a low powered variable to be a better solution for a variety of reasons. The advantages of a piggybacked RDS is when used with masks where cheek-weld is highly compromised already and in weird positions (especially with masks).

That is something that had not worked into my way of thinking. It makes sense, I had just considered the RMR a back up for when magnification won't work. I think this line of thinking came from having the ACOG first and adding the RMR later. I will have to take that in to consideration.

I had previously been thinking of the RMR for close in and zeroing it as such like discreet described. I had been considering where to zero it thinking somewhere between 10m and 35m.

Honestly I bought the RMR to try, I have the ACOG mount for it, a 30mm ring for it, and thought of having a Glock slide milled for it.

I don't really like the way it attaches to the ACOG, so I may try it on a Glock next.

Before I do that, my next question is, if I put it on my SPR mounted on a 2.5-10 nxs would you still Zero it at 100m? I feel on that set up it really wouldn't be considered the primary site? Or would you still consider it that?

Failure2Stop
03-04-14, 10:44
10 to 35 is a terrible zero unless you can guarantee that your target will be within 5 yards of your zero distance. The trajectory slope is extremely steep compared to a further zero, and this is exacerbated by the high line of sight over bore.

For magnified optics, I like an MRDS for gross/rapid targeting, so I still like a 100 meter zero. 200 is ok as well, just not my preference. Offset mounts work better for rapid multiple shot engagements with the gun rolled, but that directly hinges on the size, weight, and setup of the gun.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Pappabear
03-04-14, 14:36
I ran mine at 50 yard zero. My thought was it was only going to be used in CQB FOR CENTER mass shots. It worked fine for me, but later nuked it anyway. I had no problem with chin weld.

The angle is pretty severe, so regardless where you end up, you need to test shoot it at 15-25-50-75-100 to check trajectory. It's quite interesting.

markm
03-04-14, 14:46
10 to 35 is a terrible zero unless you can guarantee that your target will be within 5 yards of your zero distance. The trajectory slope is extremely steep compared to a further zero, and this is exacerbated by the high line of sight over bore.

Agreed. More shooters should grasp the notion of holdover at contact distances.