PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool design for a durable and cheap reloading bench

30 cal slut
03-03-14, 15:39
I'd use a thicker top but this design looks solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTxbcf9zI5o

richc2048
03-05-14, 09:16
I like the design for the feet attaching to the top.

I used a 3/4" top and used L brackets from underneath to screw in so the top is completely smooth.

markm
03-05-14, 09:19
That Vid is 15 minutes long! It took me less time to buy my bench at SEARS. ;)

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 09:26
That's cool. Not sure about what people define as "cheap", but I built this last weekend for <$125 and you could park a whale on it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/05/9upe6u9u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/05/u3ynedev.jpg

I used an industrial strength liquid nails and just glued the top down.

richc2048
03-05-14, 09:36
I like your bench pork chop. I'll put a picture of mine up soon. It's not decent right now.
Store bought benches are cool but nothing like building your own. :)
When I moved into my house there was still new home construction going on for like a year.
I collected enough choice wood for my bench. I also got enough base board and trim that when I do the basement, I don't have to worry about finding the exact one they used upstairs.

Ryno12
03-05-14, 09:41
That's cool. Not sure about what people define as "cheap", but I built this last weekend for <$125 and you could park a whale on it.

That fits the bill perfectly for what I'm looking for. We've got a whale at home and I've been needing a place to keep it. :p

Nice bench PC!

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 09:49
I like your bench pork chop. I'll put a picture of mine up soon. It's not decent right now.
Store bought benches are cool but nothing like building your own. :)
When I moved into my house there was still new home construction going on for like a year.
I collected enough choice wood for my bench. I also got enough base board and trim that when I do the basement, I don't have to worry about finding the exact one they used upstairs.

I'm no carpenter, nor am I an engineer, so it's FAR stronger than it needs to be.
I bolted the second section to the free standing portion (first pic) so that I can remove it, should I decide later I don't want or like the "L" shape.

It's made from 1-1/4" countertop, 2x6 frame and 4x4 Douglas Fir legs. You can't see it in the pics, but I also double reinforced the edges where presses will mount with flat 2x6 screwed in on 3 sides, so the presses will bolt down through 2.75" of material.
That electrical that's unfinished underneath is now finished and there will be a 4' long powerstrip above each leg and another of those locking cabinets on the wall, as well as additional lighting overhead.

I'm hoping I thought it through well enough, but a guy always wishes he'd done something different after the fact.

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 09:51
That fits the bill perfectly for what I'm looking for. We've got a whale at home and I've been needing a place to keep it. :p

Nice bench PC!

Sent via Tapatalk

I'm telling your wife you said that. :D

richc2048
03-05-14, 09:55

I'm no carpenter, nor am I an engineer, so it's FAR stronger than it needs to be.
I bolted the second section to the free standing portion (first pic) so that I can remove it, should I decide later I don't want or like the "L" shape.

It's made from 1-1/4" countertop, 2x6 frame and 4x4 Douglas Fir legs. You can't see it in the pics, but I also double reinforced the edges where presses will mount with flat 2x6 screwed in on 3 sides, so the presses will bolt down through 2.75" of material.
That electrical that's unfinished underneath is now finished and there will be a 4' long powerstrip above each leg and another of those locking cabinets on the wall, as well as additional lighting overhead.

I'm hoping I thought it through well enough, but a guy always wishes he'd done something different after the fact.

You're right about wanting to do it differently no matter what. I was thinking of changing out the top to a nicer piece and replacing some pieces with 2 x 6 for the presses. I think this thread has given me a project. Lol

Well... This is the cheapest of projects this forum has convinced me to do. Usually I don't get under $400 after a hour on this site.

Ryno12
03-05-14, 10:10
I'm telling your wife you said that. :D

Don't get me started on "your wife" jokes. You know I'm full of 'em. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

Kenneth
03-05-14, 10:15
I've got a bench similar to that that I build but it's beefed up. It weighs a ton and is sturdy but not moveable. I'll get some pics in a bit. Gotta clean it up a little. One thing about bigger benches is more crap piles up on them.

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 10:20
Don't get me started on "your wife" jokes. You know I'm full of 'em. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

Let me rephrase that.

I should've said, "I hope you don't mean your wife, because that's just awful!"

And I'm telling her anyway. :)

Ryno12
03-05-14, 10:49
Let me rephrase that.

I should've said, "I hope you don't mean your wife, because that's just awful!"

And I'm telling her anyway. :)
That's it. Where's Bama? (He's gonna be mad at you for starting it) :p

Anyway, I've been using a Craftsmen bench for my reloading. Not quite as solid as I'd like it to be. This summer I'll be building a new one. I'll have to check in with you then to see if you're still satisfied with it or if there's anything you wished you'd have done differently.

Sent via Tapatalk

weggy
03-05-14, 10:59
Damn, now I've got to rebuild my old bench, which is several years old and starting to get the wobbles.

markm
03-05-14, 13:23
I've been using a Craftsmen bench for my reloading. Not quite as solid as I'd like it to be.

Not enough bullets on the shelves to weigh it down. ;)

Ryno12
03-05-14, 13:33
Not enough bullets on the shelves to weigh it down. ;)

On the contrary. Too many that I'd crush it. :)

Actually, it's so small I can't permanently mount my presses. They're attached to 4" angle stock that I clamp either to the top or in my vise. There's so much flex in that tinny POS that I have a hard time sizing some of my larger calibers.

Sent via Tapatalk

markm
03-05-14, 13:45
That's it. A few thousand 45 bullets might actually do that.

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 13:47
I used full ammo cans to weight my countertop down after super duper gluing it.

(My whale wasn't handy) :)

Ryno12
03-05-14, 13:53
That's it. A few thousand 45 bullets might actually do that.
I keep most of my components in 50cal cans on the bottom shelf. It's pretty bowed in the center. Probably a good thing that I'm out of room on it.

richc2048
03-05-14, 14:45

Here is my setup.
The bench is stout with 4x4 posts and 2x8's running across.
The table is usually clean but I am in the middle of case prep for .223
It works but I originally built the bench for tools and such so I have try a few changes and gear it more towards a reloading area.
I need to definitely organize it better but with 3 kids, a wife and running a business from my basement I don't get to commit a whole lot of time. I did learn to leave a note to myself every time I have to stop what I'm doing on the reloading bench so I don't have to scrap everything a start over.

I will update with a clean pic. This post has motivated my to get my stuff together.

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 17:54
Keeping the area uncluttered and organized can be a real bear. This bench is 10 times the size of my old one and I have 100 times the space and storage and I am still struggling to decide where exactly to mount presses and lay everything out.

Ryno12
03-05-14, 18:06
Keeping the area uncluttered and organized can be a real bear. This bench is 10 times the size of my old one and I have 100 times the space and storage and I am still struggling to decide where exactly to mount presses and lay everything out.
I think that's the most fun of it.
You know I'm jealous of you right now?! I can't wait till my new shop is done.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 18:18
I think that's the most fun of it.
You know I'm jealous of you right now?! I can't wait till my new shop is done.

Sent via Tapatalk

I know, brother, and I agree, it's the fun part. I just obsess too much about getting it "right" rather than just getting it functional. My original plan was to have presses on one side and prep on the other, but now that I'm adding that progressive, it's got me second guessing my layout.

Yours will come. Get that sugar momma of yours working some overtime. :)

Ryno12
03-05-14, 18:23
Yours will come. Get that sugar momma of yours working some overtime. :)
Unfortunately, she doesn't get paid for OT, but I do. I'll have to work extra to get the cash and she'll have to work extra so I can get the time. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

richc2048
03-05-14, 20:06
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/05/9upe6u9u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/05/u3ynedev.jpg

I used an industrial strength liquid nails and just glued the top down.

I like the cabinet you have. I think I'll reduce my pegboard size and add that to put my components.
Looks sharp man!

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 20:14
Thanks.

I have kids, so having the ability to keep things like gunpowder under lock & key are crucial. :)

The cabinets are Performax cabinets from Menards. The only downside is they come with only one shelf. I plan to contact the company and see about buying more shelves for them, or just make some. They retail at $115/ea, but they go on sale now & then for $65, so it's worth being patient.

SeriousStudent
03-05-14, 20:46
This is a useful thread, thanks. I'm going to build a reloading table this spring, and snag some used single stage presses to do precision .308 load development.

If I wanted to run three RCBS Rockchuckers, how long would you make the table?

(Not married to the idea of RCBS presses, just what I can get for a reasonable cost on the used market.)

Ryno12
03-05-14, 20:54

If it were mine, I'd make it long enough for three RCBS Rockchuckers to fit. :p

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 20:55
Everybody will be different, of course, but I'd want it at least 6' long. You going to run a powder measure and trickle, or weigh each load from scratch?

What else will you want mounted? Trimming, case prep, etc?

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 20:57
If it were mine, I'd make it long enough for three RCBS Rockchuckers to fit. :p

Sent via Tapatalk

Nobody likes you.

Ryno12
03-05-14, 21:04
Everybody will be different, of course, but I'd want it at least 6' long. You going to run a powder measure and trickle, or weigh each load from scratch?

I'd also leave enough room for a vise with a full size upper in it. Unless of course you already have a dedicated firearm work space.

Nobody likes you.
My kids like me & my wife usually likes me.

Sent via Tapatalk

richc2048
03-05-14, 21:07
I'd say make it as big as the space allows. No matter what you'll want more room. May not Need it but you'll want it.

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 21:11
I'd also leave enough room for a vise with a full size upper in it. Unless of course you already have a dedicated firearm work space.

My kids like me & my wife usually likes me.

Sent via Tapatalk

When you're not calling her a whale? :)

(and I saw what you wrote the first time) ;)

Agree about the vise & such. I was assuming it was just reloading only. Honestly, Serious, if I'd had 15' of space, I'd probably have 15' of bench. I used all available space, down to the inch.

125 mph
03-05-14, 21:58
This is a useful thread, thanks. I'm going to build a reloading table this spring, and snag some used single stage presses to do precision .308 load development.

(Not married to the idea of RCBS presses, just what I can get for a reasonable cost on the used market.)

Why do you want 3 single stage presses? Not criticizing, just genuinely curious.

SeriousStudent
03-05-14, 22:00

That is honestly what I am wondering. I'm new the the reloading world, and will be building this from scratch. So I'd honestly like to do it once and be done.

So create a station for case trimming, and another for powder measuring/filling cases? I don't need to do the tumbling in the garage, a buddy will be assisting with that at his place.

That makes me think a bench about 10-11 feet long would be a good start.

SeriousStudent
03-05-14, 22:02
Why do you want 3 single stage presses? Not criticizing, just genuinely curious.

And again, I am new to this. I'd honestly like to have the dies all set up and adjusted, so I am not changing, measure, changing, readjusting, etc. I could have everything set up, and work methodically without having to make a lot of changes.

I'm certainly open to suggestions.

SeriousStudent
03-05-14, 22:03
Nobody likes you.

Somehow, I doubt you are the first person to say that. :sarcastic:

125 mph
03-05-14, 22:11
And again, I am new to this. I'd honestly like to have the dies all set up and adjusted, so I am not changing, measure, changing, readjusting, etc. I could have everything set up, and work methodically without having to make a lot of changes.

I'm certainly open to suggestions.I'd look into a dillon 550b in that case, too. It'll be more space efficient, and if you want to get into loading pistol or AR ammo later it's 1000x more enjoyable on a 550 than a single stage. You could probably find a used one if you want, not sure how that would compare pricewise with multiple single stages.

I started with a rock chucker, and got a 550 last year. If I was starting over I'd go straight to a 550b.

Pork Chop
03-05-14, 22:29
Make your bench a big as you can. You'll never want less bench. Or cabinets. Or shelves.

You know, you could always go to a Hornady press which utilizes the quick change die bushings. You just set your dies in the bushing and then pop them in/out as needed. No die adjustments, just swap dies in/out. I think they even make a conversion to use them on RCBS presses.

SeriousStudent
03-05-14, 22:59
I'd look into a dillon 550b in that case, too. It'll be more space efficient, and if you want to get into loading pistol or AR ammo later it's 1000x more enjoyable on a 550 than a single stage. You could probably find a used one if you want, not sure how that would compare pricewise with multiple single stages.

I started with a rock chucker, and got a 550 last year. If I was starting over I'd go straight to a 550b.

I understand your point. But I'm not going to do pistol or rifle volume reloading. I have a friend that already does that for me, I just buy the components, and pay him in steak and alkyhaul.

As I mentioned, I'm doing low volume precision reloading for a .308 bolt gun I'm building. So there is honestly no point for me to buy a progressive.

SeriousStudent
03-05-14, 23:01
Make your bench a big as you can. You'll never want less bench. Or cabinets. Or shelves.

You know, you could always go to a Hornady press which utilizes the quick change die bushings. You just set your dies in the bushing and then pop them in/out as needed. No die adjustments, just swap dies in/out. I think they even make a conversion to use them on RCBS presses.

That's true, it's like storage space or room in the kitchen.

I'll probably just build a bench the length of the garage. I am sure things will find their way onto it. ;)

Ryno12
03-06-14, 06:00

I'm certainly open to suggestions.

My progressive has been collecting dust for over a year now. I really enjoy single staging it nowadays. It just fits my schedule better. Separating out each process works good for me.
A few items that I think are priceless is a good case trimmer, a good hand primer and especially, an electronic auto charge powder dispenser. For me, hand weighing & hand trimming cases was way too tedious & reloading became not so enjoyable. I'm still looking for a better hand primer.
I'm limited in space so I work solely off of one single stage press. All my dies are adjusted where I need them. It's just a quick swap & tighten it down to the lock nut. Confirm with the first few loads and done.
If you're on a budget or space is an issue, don't be afraid to sacrifice a press or two for some nice accessories that'll make your life much easier.
Welcome to the reloaders club.

Sent via Tapatalk

30 cal slut
03-06-14, 17:10
That Vid is 15 minutes long! It took me less time to buy my bench at SEARS. ;)

hahahahah. i got mine at home depot a few years ago.

30 cal slut
03-06-14, 17:13

i have at least one of my rock chuckers on a portable work table i can move in front of a tv.

reason: operations such as resizing, primer pocket reaming and trimming are tedious. any length of time at the bench and my back hurts.

shockingly, this $27 harbor freight work bench can support a rock chucker (actually, two, facing each other on opposite sides) with a bit of extra plywood on the top. i've also mounted one of my dillon rl550b's on one of these to take to the range.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_16928.jpg

SeriousStudent
03-06-14, 22:36
I'll check out that Harbor Freight bench, that would be useful for a lot of things around the house.

markm
03-07-14, 08:17
i've also mounted one of my dillon rl550b's on one of these to take to the range.

I'd set up next to some dude and start reloading his brass as it spits out his ejection port... Without asking too!

blade_68
03-07-14, 16:00
markm
Sir
if I visit AZ. to go shooting I'll bring a HF bench, and a tarp to help funnel brass over. :D

My first "reloading bench" was a wood ammo box good for portability, sucked for use. My work bench for every thing I built out of 2×4s 8ft long and tall to stand without having to stoop over. Dumped house, currently trying to figure out how to make/ mount one in my RV.

SeriousStudent
03-07-14, 21:17
I'd set up next to some dude and start reloading his brass as it spits out his ejection port... Without asking too!

I would be the evil bastige who shoots Blazer aluminum, just to screw with your head. :cool:

Then we could post vids of you cussing, and Pappabear laughing his butt off.

TXBK
03-07-14, 22:13
My first "reloading bench" was a wood ammo box good for portability, sucked for use. My work bench for every thing I built out of 2×4s 8ft long and tall to stand without having to stoop over. Dumped house, currently trying to figure out how to make/ mount one in my RV.

If I can find it, I once saw a pic of a reloading bench that was built to slide into a receiver hitch.

Kenneth
03-09-14, 04:14

Here is mine. I used 2 3/4 inch sheets of MDF topped with some hard board for a topper. Built on 4 4X4 post and has 2 3/4 inch plywood shelves. It's completely bolt together just in case I have to ever move it I wanted to be able to take it apart. Needless to say that I could park a truck on it and it doesn't move. It's 8 feet long and and 40 inches deep if I remember correctly. Total cost was under $200.

SeriousStudent
03-09-14, 14:45

Here is mine. I used 2 3/4 inch sheets of MDF topped with some hard board for a topper. Built on 4 4X4 post and has 2 3/4 inch plywood shelves. It's completely bolt together just in case I have to ever move it I wanted to be able to take it apart. Needless to say that I could park a truck on it and it doesn't move. It's 8 feet long and and 40 inches deep if I remember correctly. Total cost was under $200.

Thanks for posting pics of that, it looks well thought out and sturdy. I was looking to do something similar, with a slightly raised edge around the sides, to catch wandering primers.

I measured the garage yesterday, and I can build a bench 14 feet long, and use a combination of pegboard and cabinets above the bench.

Kenneth
03-09-14, 15:06
What a lot of people do is take full sheets of MDF/plywood and cut them down the middle to make 2 8 feet by 24 inch sections and build a bench like that. I had a lot of wasted wood because I wanted it 30 inches deep instead if 24 but honestly it's pretty deep. I couldn't reach high up in the wall behind it. That's why they say 24 inch is best.

Also one cool thing is the white hardboard (used in bathrooms and such) acts as a dry erase board on the top of the bench. It's also liquid proof.

SeriousStudent
03-09-14, 15:09
That's a good idea on the white hardboard. I'll likely be cleaning firearms, knives, etc on it. And it's pretty cheap at Lowes/Home Depot.

Phire Phite
03-09-14, 21:54
I've heard/seen multiple times that however much room you think you need, double it. Especially if you have 2 presses. Some nice tables here. I do have to say though, the stickie "show me your reloading bench" in the reloading section of the 1911 forum has some nasty benches. Worth a look at if in need of some ideas. I hope to start building mine this summer.

Kenneth
03-09-14, 22:22
One thing about more room is that more junk that collects in your bench. That bench is like a catch all.

markm
03-10-14, 09:03
One thing about more room is that more junk that collects in your bench. That bench is like a catch all.

Absolute TRUTH. I wouldn't take a larger bench for free. If my bench was a mile long, it'd still fill up with crap.

Phire Phite
03-10-14, 20:09
^^ I could see that too.

markm
03-10-14, 21:11
I'd take a pic of my bench, but then no one would take my load advice serious anymore. ;)

WFO
03-17-14, 19:21
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p345/mountainfabrication/Bench2_zpsfdb8022e.jpg (http://s344.photobucket.com/user/mountainfabrication/media/Bench2_zpsfdb8022e.jpg.html)

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p345/mountainfabrication/Bench8_zps92cd98c3.jpg (http://s344.photobucket.com/user/mountainfabrication/media/Bench8_zps92cd98c3.jpg.html)

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p345/mountainfabrication/Bench3_zpsafbc50ac.jpg (http://s344.photobucket.com/user/mountainfabrication/media/Bench3_zpsafbc50ac.jpg.html)

My bench started as a craftsman work bench. Like you guys were saying I ripped a 4x8 of 3/4" plywood down the middle and stacked them,then topped it with a piece of 3/4" particle board with that white shiny plastic stuff on it. I built the ends with pressure treated 4x6 and I can pack a lot of ammo cans in there.

I wanted to be able to clean 2 black guns at the same time, and don't use my reloader for any super high volume stuff so I mounted it on a piece of angle that I can clamp down with the under bench wood workers vise.

The slots work out really nice when you have a bunch of guns to clean.

Ryno12
03-17-14, 19:50
I love the idea of the notches for leaning the guns. I'll have to make some a little lower to accommodate ARs. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Sent via Tapatalk

WFO
03-17-14, 20:43
I love the idea of the notches for leaning the guns. I'll have to make some a little lower to accommodate ARs. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Sent via Tapatalk

Yeah I was kinda stuck with the height of the bench, but if you look at the 2nd pic the middle slot has an AR that's a 16" barrel w/birdcage and the 3rd slot is an AR I built that's a pinned/welded FH right at 16". You can just barely see the end of the FH but it's actually in there pretty good. SBRs you might have to get creative.

FWIW, if you decide to do it, lay out the depth of your slots and use a hole saw to make the round ends. Then take a saw and cut straight in to the radius of your holes. Makes them nice and clean.

SeriousStudent
03-17-14, 22:24
I'm with Ryno12, those rifle notches are a great idea! I'm including that in my bench plans.

Thanks for the post, I appreciate the tips!

WFO
03-18-14, 01:46
I'm with Ryno12, those rifle notches are a great idea! I'm including that in my bench plans.

Thanks for the post, I appreciate the tips!

No problem :) It's nice to give back a little after lurking for years.

I've actually thought of producing a steel bracket that looks like my notches that guys could screw to the front of an existing bench...not trying to spam, but that kind of stuff is what I do for a living. If there's some interest I could draw some up and look into becoming a vendor here so I could sell them. I make a bunch of other hangers and tool holders already.